inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: New Hampshire Hot Dots safety program

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/22/13 at 11:05 pm

I was just thinking about these the other day.

http://www.safetyitem.com/shop/pc/catalog/sticker/dot-fo_300.jpg

Every fall when dusk arrived earlier all New Hampshire elementary school kids got free Hot Dots from the state.  The homeroom teacher used to pass them out the first week of Standard Time when it got dark at five.  You were supposed to stick them on your jacket or your sneakers so you didn't get hit by cars or shot by hunters.

The state of NH started the program in 1974 but it got the ax with Governor Gallen's budget cuts in 1981. 

Well, they didn't mention the hunters, it was more about road safety, but I used to hike in the woods a lot during hunting season, and I found that fluorescent orange hat embarrassing even when I was eight!
;D

Subject: Re: New Hampshire Hot Dots safety program

Written By: danootaandme on 06/23/13 at 9:32 am

When I worked nights in on the Big Dig the company past out florescent strips for our hard hats, prevented many from getting hit in the head with by a backhoe.  ;)

Written By: Howard on 06/23/13 at 3:17 pm

So The Hot Dots are sort of like reflectors? ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/24/13 at 2:13 am

So The Hot Dots are sort of like reflectors? ???

Exactly.  They were fun for kids because they were fluorescent orange, and they supposedly made you safer on your bike.  But I kind of figured if I got hit by a car, it was going to be my fault, because I took sick chances on my bike.  There was one intersection on the left between the cemetery and my house.  I'd pick up a lot of speed and I didn't want to give it up at the the corner of Rte 13 and Old Wilton.  Old Wilton Road was a lightly traveled dirt road.  However, there was a chance a pickup truck barreling to the stop sign could collide with my Huffy at 45 mph, but when I was ten, I thought it was a risk worth taking.  Hot Dots didn't enter into the equasion.  Anyway, that's why I'm cautious driving near kids on bikes because I remember how dumb I was with mine!
:o

Written By: Howard on 06/24/13 at 3:07 pm

Do you they even sell Hot Dots today?  ???

Check for new replies or respond here...