inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does the 70s get overshadowed by the 80s?

Written By: 80sfan on 07/14/13 at 12:14 am

I mean, people talk about the 80s because of its strange fashion and techno music. The 60s gets attention because of all the hippie protest stuff and rock music.

What about the 70s??

Subject: Re: Does the 70s get overshadowed by the 80s?

Written By: Cherie70 on 07/14/13 at 6:02 am

Just another extension of the 1960's.  Many people also think of the 70's associated with the Disco, and bell bottom pants.  No, it is not overshadowed by the 80's.

Written By: Emman on 07/14/13 at 6:32 am

Just another extension of the 1960's.  Many people also think of the 70's associated with the Disco, and bell bottom pants.  No, it is not overshadowed by the 80's.

I agree, the '70s zeitgeist was a continuation of the late '60s, I don't think they are overshadowed by the '80s though, it's that the changes that happened in the mid '60s and then in the early '80s was significant.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/14/13 at 11:58 am

Oh yeah bell bottoms! Disco. Those things make the decade stick out!

Written By: 80sfan on 07/14/13 at 12:01 pm

I agree, the '70s zeitgeist was a continuation of the late '60s, I don't think they are overshadowed by the '80s though, it's that the changes that happened in the mid '60s and then in the early '80s was significant.

And everyone had long or funky hair in the 70s too. Fashion was pretty funky also.

Written By: Howard on 07/14/13 at 3:25 pm

Oh yeah bell bottoms! Disco. Those things make the decade stick out!

and don't forget the afros and Hawaiian shirts with the bell bottoms and fancy looking shoes too.

Written By: Howard on 07/14/13 at 3:26 pm

And everyone had long or funky hair in the 70s too. Fashion was pretty funky also.

and also the funky 70's music stood out in those clubs like Studio 54 and The Paradise Garage.

Written By: robby76 on 07/15/13 at 9:59 pm

Every decade has it's time in the limelight. The 90s are very much in trend at the moment and will probably "overshadow" the 80s as you put it. I actually cringe at all the 90s stuff coming back now.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/15/13 at 10:52 pm

Every decade has it's time in the limeline. The 90s are very much in trend at the moment and will probably "overshadow" the 80s as you put it. I actually cringe at all the 90s stuff coming back now.

I guess that's typical, in the '90s the '70s were in, 10 years ago the '80s was coming back now it's '90s. That would mean the 2000s could come back in the 2020s...now that's scary.  :o

Written By: 80sfan on 07/16/13 at 12:33 am

and don't forget the afros and Hawaiian shirts with the bell bottoms and fancy looking shoes too.

Hawaiian shirts are cool!

Written By: 80sfan on 07/16/13 at 12:34 am

Every decade has it's time in the limeline. The 90s are very much in trend at the moment and will probably "overshadow" the 80s as you put it. I actually cringe at all the 90s stuff coming back now.

I almost forgot about that trend. Typical eh?  8)

Written By: 80sfan on 07/16/13 at 12:35 am

I guess that's typical, in the '90s the '70s were in, 10 years ago the '80s was coming back now it's '90s. That would mean the 2000s could come back in the 2020s...now that's scary.  :o

In the 2020s we'll talk about the 'bling bling' and rap culture of the 00s!

Written By: Howard on 07/16/13 at 6:47 am

Why? What was wrong with the 90's? ???

Written By: Howard on 07/16/13 at 6:48 am

I don't want to think about it till it happens.

Written By: Howard on 07/16/13 at 6:49 am

Hawaiian shirts are cool!

http://www.rustyzipper.com/full/150495L.jpg

Written By: warped on 07/23/13 at 4:36 am

I think the 70s actually overshadowed the 80s. The majority of the best TV shows I ever saw were in the 70s. The best rock bands/artists were either in their peak in the 70s or were active in the 70s.  (The Beatles (and their solo work), Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, CCR, Queen, Pink Floyd, Yes, E.L.P, Genesis, Springsteen, The Who, Billy Joel, Stevie Wonder, Elton John, E.L.O, Moody Blues, Styx, Supertramp, Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, Abba, Chicago, Eric Clapton, Bowie and a bunch of others)

And unlike some people who like to share their opinion on decades they never even lived through,  I did not just read that from the internet or some book I found, I lived through both decades.

Rant of the morning *yawn*    Then again, all these topics "Was this decade better than that one", "What was the key year in that decade" , 'What part of this decade will be most remembered by", etc...it's all a matter of opinion, there is no final answer...and in the end the discussion often leads nowhere except for "the road of stupidity"

Who gives a rats ass when someone firmly believes a specific song led to a culture change that defined a whole period of time, and argues with someone else that a film led to the defining culture of that same decade..which they then make it run in to the next decade, or say the 60s ended in 1973, and the seventies began in 1977 and ended in (who the eff cares) year .

If it were up to me I would lock every single one of those topics.

It makes as much sense as saying that a specific decade began when I bought new spandex shoelaces and purchased a pop tart from a 7-11 that made me barf on my rug.

Written By: Emman on 07/23/13 at 4:11 pm

Rant of the morning *yawn*    Then again, all these topics "Was this decade better than that one", "What was the key year in that decade" , 'What part of this decade will be most remembered by", etc...it's all a matter of opinion, there is no final answer...and in the end the discussion often leads nowhere except for "the road of stupidity"

Who gives a rats ass when someone firmly believes a specific song led to a culture change that defined a whole period of time, and argues with someone else that a film led to the defining culture of that same decade..which they then make it run in to the next decade, or say the 60s ended in 1973, and the seventies began in 1977 and ended in (who the eff cares) year .

If it were up to me I would lock every single one of those topics.

It makes as much sense as saying that a specific decade began when I bought new spandex shoelaces and purchased a pop tart from a 7-11 that made me barf on my rug.

Even though there is no objective answer to the definitions and boundaries of decades, most are talking about cultural decades and quite frankly a lot of people in western societies do have a quasi collective conception of cultural decades(going back as early as the 1890s). If you read many articles or books about the '60s most would agree that the cultural decade of "The Sixties" began around '63, '64, the earlier years of the chronological 1960s in terms of trends and culture belonged more to that of the cultural fifties and most people have some common associations about what "The Fifities" mean. Some of you are honestly trying to pretend like cultural decades are completely arbitrary by society's collective conceptions and there is no value in discussing these ideas on a website about the pop culture of decades, now that's pretty ridiculous!

Written By: warped on 07/23/13 at 4:14 pm

The 1960s...began January 1, 1960. Ended Dec 31st, 1969.
Any other view is IDIOTIC!

With that, I am locking this thread, coz it's full of decadeology stupidity. And decadeology is banned on these boards.

Check for new replies or respond here...