inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Elton John - Ego (1978)

Written By: whistledog on 08/31/13 at 6:03 pm

Ego is a 1978 song by Elton John.  It peaked at #34 in both the US and UK and also reached #21 in Canada. 

http://eil.com/images/main/Elton+John+-+Ego+-+7%22+RECORD-83494.jpg

I feel the need to single this song out because it almost seems like this song doesn't even exist.  Initially it was only a single release, never appearing on an Elton album until the 1990 BOX set To Be Continued ...
It has since appeared as a bonus track for the 1998 remaster of the 1978 album A Single Man, but it's (to my knowledge) never appeared on another Elton release. 

Some people say that is due to it's low chart performance, but I refuse to accept that answer.  Why don't more people know this song?  It's a really good song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt7xtcD40Dg

Subject: Re: Elton John - Ego (1978)

Written By: ladybug316 on 08/31/13 at 10:42 pm

I don't like this at all and don't really think it stands the test of time against his others. :-\\

Written By: Howard on 09/01/13 at 3:10 pm

I like the song but I've never heard of it before.

Written By: whistledog on 09/01/13 at 3:52 pm

I don't like this at all and don't really think it stands the test of time against his others. :-\\

It is a little unusual versus his other works at the time.  I am actually surprised it charted as high as it did.  It sounds more like an album track than a single.  I enjoy it because it's so unusual with that strange piano part

Written By: warped on 09/01/13 at 3:58 pm

It is a little unusual versus his other works at the time.  I am actually surprised it charted as high as it did.  It sounds more like an album track than a single.

Exactly what I think, exactly. As someone who was listening to the radio almost "religiously" in 1978, I don't remember this getting much airplay. Surprised it reached #21 here. It's not a bad track, just more like an album track than a single.

Written By: Cherie70 on 09/02/13 at 6:02 pm

Exactly what I think, exactly. As someone who was listening to the radio almost "religiously" in 1978, I don't remember this getting much airplay. Surprised it reached #21 here. It's not a bad track, just more like an album track than a single.

I agree it is more of a Album track.  And you are correct it did NOT get much play in the us at all.

Check for new replies or respond here...