inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Help with a possible mid-late 70's song

Written By: SpaceHog on 11/11/13 at 10:07 am

I first heard this song 6 years ago on K-HITS 96 in St. Louis. The DJ, Radio Rich said that the song was about "Don Juan's adventures in Mexico." The song had a peculiar bass line, it was two beats, followed by three beats in quick succession, wash rinse and repeat.

Flash forward to this past Saturday night. Alice Cooper was playing the song on his weekend show on Pixy 103, but as Murphy's Law would happen, it was the tail end of the song. I did manage to catch the background vocalist, it was a woman. The band sounded like Steely Dan (It was in their style.)
By the way it sounded it was mid 70's (75-76) to very late 70's to even extreme early 80's.

Subject: Re: Help with a possible mid-late 70's song

Written By: warped on 11/11/13 at 1:01 pm

Hmm, let's see if I can dig out some more info here first.
1) You said background vocal is female. Is it a male or female lead singer?
2) You said the band sounded like Steely Dan. More like the 'Do it again' slow and cool song type Steely Dan, or more the upbeat "Peg" or "Reeling in the years"?
3) I see Steely Dan as a pop/rock/jazzy type of band. Would the song you mentioned (because of the ear and the baseline) have some funk or disco in it? I'm thinking that isn't the case but just double-checking.

Written By: snozberries on 11/12/13 at 12:30 am

Probably not it but might as well knock the simple ones out first.

Per shop boys - Don Juan? (It's on youtube)

Written By: SpaceHog on 11/12/13 at 11:35 am

Hmm, let's see if I can dig out some more info here first.
1) You said background vocal is female. Is it a male or female lead singer?
2) You said the band sounded like Steely Dan. More like the 'Do it again' slow and cool song type Steely Dan, or more the upbeat "Peg" or "Reeling in the years"?
3) I see Steely Dan as a pop/rock/jazzy type of band. Would the song you mentioned (because of the ear and the baseline) have some funk or disco in it? I'm thinking that isn't the case but just double-checking.

The lead was male from what I remember.
The song was slow and cool.
It sounded kind of disco-ish and funky. It wasn't fast like a disco song, but mid-tempo like funk.

Written By: warped on 11/12/13 at 11:56 am

It sounded kind of disco-ish and funky. It wasn't fast like a disco song, but mid-tempo like funk.

Ah. OK thanks. I adore 70s music, except for the disco/funk stuff, but I'm sure the people here will reply if they think of anything. I'm very impressed (or jealous :D) at several people's knowledge of music on this site.

Written By: Howard on 11/12/13 at 2:13 pm

Was it.... Disco Lady- Johnny Taylor?  ???

Written By: SpaceHog on 11/13/13 at 7:39 am

Nope, that isn't it either.

Written By: warped on 11/13/13 at 8:03 am

Nope, that isn't it either.

Would the base line (2 beat, then a quick 3) sound like the base in "Play that funky music, white boy"?  disco-ish and funky like that? similar?

Written By: SpaceHog on 11/13/13 at 9:27 am

Would the base line (2 beat, then a quick 3) sound like the base in "Play that funky music, white boy"?  disco-ish and funky like that? similar?

It's similar in nature, but just a tad slower. I'll go through the discography of Steely Dan's middle period (when they were transitioning from slow to more upbeat). It could also be the Eagles, but I don't know.

The mystery deepens.

Written By: karen on 11/13/13 at 11:00 am

Have you checked the radio station website for a playlist?  I've found several songs that way.

Written By: warped on 11/13/13 at 12:01 pm

It's similar in nature, but just a tad slower. I'll go through the discography of Steely Dan's middle period (when they were transitioning from slow to more upbeat). It could also be the Eagles, but I don't know.

The mystery deepens.

Could be those bands. I know "Peg" has a good base to it (Steely Dan).  Might wanna check the Doobie Brothers, Steve Miller Band, even E.L.O  in the era.  Both Rush and Pink Floyd have some good base songs.

I know you don't but if you had more info (lyrics, whether there were and strings in the song...flute...guitar solo..) it would help.

Written By: Paul on 11/13/13 at 1:05 pm

Really gonna stick my neck out here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZeTlMpnfHk

Written By: SpaceHog on 11/13/13 at 1:36 pm

Yup. That's it.

Thank you so much for solving this mystery that's been gnawing at me for 6 years.

Written By: Paul on 11/13/13 at 1:43 pm

Thank you so much for solving this mystery that's been gnawing at me for 6 years.

That was a lucky hunch by me, wasn't it?

I knew this song had references to Mexico in it - everything else was a pure shot in the dark!

Now why can't my lottery numbers do the same?

Written By: SpaceHog on 11/13/13 at 1:52 pm

In honesty I'd neglected Fleetwood Mac pre Buckingham/Nicks. They truly are a great band.

Written By: warped on 11/13/13 at 5:54 pm

Good job Paul.
O0

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/16/13 at 7:50 pm

Fleetwood Mac, Hypnotized.

Damn, dude, awesome call.

Check for new replies or respond here...