inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Raisins From California: Nature's Candy

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 12/23/13 at 11:22 pm

rio8B7a2DV0

WTH is this?

Subject: Re: Raisins From California: Nature's Candy

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/24/13 at 3:35 am

that jingle sounds familiar. a commercial pushing fruit for kids as if they want natures candy instead of real candy  ::)
I like golden raisins myself

http://img.weiku.com/waterpicture/2011/11/6/0/Golden_Raisin_634641525174864575_1.jpg

Written By: Howard on 12/24/13 at 6:53 am

Whoever thought back then that raisins was considered "nature's candy"?  ;D

Raisins are more of a fruit because it was a prune that shriveled up and became a raisin.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 12/24/13 at 10:46 am

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_98OVADH7KfI/TSJSbZFHRxI/AAAAAAAADaw/7hFHcoTNDZg/s1600/sultanas_light.jpg

I like sultanas.  I like how sweet they are.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/24/13 at 12:25 pm

Whoever thought back then that raisins was considered "nature's candy"?  ;D

Raisins are more of a fruit because it was a prune that shriveled up and became a raisin.

Not quite, Howard. Raisins are grapes that have been dried. Prunes are plums that were dried. They are not just "more of a fruit," they ARE all fruit. They are "nature's candy" because of the sugar content. Fruit has fructose where white sugar has sucrose. High fructose corn syrup is processed fructose which many manufacturers now use instead on sugar cane or sugar beets. There are conflicting studies whether the body absorbs either one the same or differently. For me, I would rather go with the natural way-REAL fruit rather than the high fructose corn syrup.

Cat

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 12/24/13 at 1:11 pm

Not quite, Howard. Raisins are grapes that have been dried. Prunes are plums that were dried. They are not just "more of a fruit," they ARE all fruit. They are "nature's candy" because of the sugar content. Fruit has fructose where white sugar has sucrose. High fructose corn syrup is processed fructose which many manufacturers now use instead on sugar cane or sugar beets. There are conflicting studies whether the body absorbs either one the same or differently. For me, I would rather go with the natural way-REAL fruit rather than the high fructose corn syrup.

Cat

Agreed Cat.  Fruits and veggies are the things to eat.  I also use honey and maple syrup as sweeteners instead of cane sugar or sugar beets because they taste better. 
But it all depends on what kind of lifestyle you live too whether you go the natural route or the chemical route.  :)

Written By: Howard on 12/24/13 at 3:13 pm

http://www.indianspicesgroceriessweets.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/111a-yellow-raisins-sultanas.jpg

I like sultanas.  I like how sweet they are.

I love sweet raisins.

Written By: Howard on 12/24/13 at 3:13 pm

Cat

I meant grapes not prunes.

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/25/13 at 12:36 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rio8B7a2DV0

WTH is this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KRe6Jt5ZKg

It was 1979, so drugs were probably a factor, but it still wasn't as crazy as Dinosaurs vs. The California Raisins in 1987's A Claymation Christmas Celebration :)

Written By: snozberries on 12/25/13 at 12:50 am

rio8B7a2DV0

WTH is this?

Like BFF said...it was an ad (From the 70s) promoting one of california's resources...grapes erm I mean raisins...

It's like the milk commercial with the cows... and- it was meant to promote a healthier treat than candy bars, cookies and chips...

Written By: Howard on 12/25/13 at 7:25 am

It's like the milk commercial with the cows... and- it was meant to promote a healthier treat than candy bars, cookies and chips...

Back then, people were trying to eat healthy and raisins were a good healthy snack. You can enjoy them on yogurt, in cereal, oatmeal or just eat them out the box. 

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 12/25/13 at 11:55 am

It was 1979, so drugs were probably a factor, but it still wasn't as crazy as Dinosaurs vs. The California Raisins in 1987's  :)

Aww sh!t the things I used watch as a child.  :P I was trying not to remember that.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/25/13 at 5:54 pm

Aww sh!t the things I used watch as a child.  :P I was trying not to remember that.  ;D

which one? The drug commercial?

Written By: snozberries on 12/25/13 at 7:19 pm

the California Raisins clip Foo posted

Written By: whistledog on 12/25/13 at 8:30 pm

What drug commercial?

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 12/25/13 at 9:54 pm

The California Rasins.  :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/26/13 at 1:21 am

Curaçao, and other stuff that will get you bombed.  It's cheaper to use thawed out wine grapes with curaçao-flavored crude oil retardant.  So beware MLK, JR, Boulevard beverage cooler shoppers!
:D

Written By: Howard on 12/26/13 at 6:48 am

What drug commercial?

My apologies, I was thinking of something else.

Written By: Howard on 12/26/13 at 6:49 am

Curaçao, and other stuff that will get you bombed.  It's cheaper to use thawed out wine grapes with curaçao-flavored crude oil retardant.  So beware MLK, JR, Boulevard beverage cooler shoppers!
:D

Isn't that the stuff that is made from chocolate?

Check for new replies or respond here...