inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Disco: Aimed at Baby Boomers or Generation Jones?

Written By: Visor765 on 09/06/14 at 11:14 am

Generation Jones are really just the Boomer/Gen X cuspers. They are not true boomers or Xers.

Baby Boomers: Born from 1945–1964
            Core Boomers: 1945–1951
Generation Jones: Born from 1956–1965

So was disco music more aimed at the Baby Boomers or Generation Jones?

Subject: Re: Disco: Aimed at Baby Boomers or Generation Jones?

Written By: yelimsexa on 09/09/14 at 7:36 am

I'd say both, with emphasis on core boomers (should be 1950-1955 as earlier ones are just "early boomers) and Generation Jones. My mom (b. 1954) was huge into the Disco scene at the time, and remember that at most Discos you needed to be 18 to attend, putting the cutoff at being born in 1961 to be at one in 1979, although some high schools did have disco dances of course. Early Baby Boomers tended to be the actual performers of disco, but many prefered 60s mod/Go-Go as their music of choice. I'd consider Generation Jones the "70s/80s" generation in terms of liking those two decades the most.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 09/09/14 at 4:25 pm

I'd say both, with emphasis on core boomers (should be 1950-1955 as earlier ones are just "early boomers) and Generation Jones. My mom (b. 1954) was huge into the Disco scene at the time, and remember that at most Discos you needed to be 18 to attend, putting the cutoff at being born in 1961 to be at one in 1979, although some high schools did have disco dances of course. Early Baby Boomers tended to be the actual performers of disco, but many prefered 60s mod/Go-Go as their music of choice. I'd consider Generation Jones the "70s/80s" generation in terms of liking those two decades the most.

I agree. I've noticed many early Boomers surprisingly like Disco (even my dad, b 1938 does) and is probably one of the last styles of music they can relate to. (Along with maybe some of the mellower or classic styled early-mid 80s pop hits.) I'm sure kids and teens of the day liked it too, but I'm guessing because it was party music they played in clubs, you had plenty of adults in their 20s and sometimes 30s in their party all night stage of life who feel the most connected to it.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 09/09/14 at 4:42 pm

It was probably aimed at people born in the 50s in general. They were the ones clubbing in the mid-late 70s.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/09/14 at 7:41 pm

Both - but with different emphasis.  I'll preface this with a caveat - up until that time, the younger listening public (the "under 35" crowd) was not nearly as "fractured" as it became.  I estimate that at least 60% of the young demo listened at least a little bit to AM top 40.  Though diminishing, AM still ruled.  That said, Disco was introduced in parallel waves.  High schoolers (and younger) were first exposed to it on shows like American Bandstand (the Rate-a-Record feature quickly degenerated into a series of "it's got a nice beat and you can dance to it" ratings) and top 40 radio as Disco songs became hits.  As a result, High School parties of all kinds started featuring Disco.  Same with college undergrads.  That was the "under 21" wave.  For those old enough to visit Discos, FM radio, which was growing in popularity, would advertise the "hot" Disco clubs.  (Eventually these were advertised on AM radio too.)

So, when considering the Boomer demo and Disco, the emphasis was moneymaking, as these were the working people with disposable income.  Whereas with the under 21 crowd, more of the emphasis was for influence - for shaping our tastes so that we'd be Disco lovers forever.

That's my take in a nutshell.    8)

Written By: Howard on 09/10/14 at 2:07 pm

It was probably aimed at people born in the 50s in general. They were the ones clubbing in the mid-late 70s.

By the time the 70's came, they were in their late teens and early 20's.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 09/11/14 at 7:32 pm

Both - but with different emphasis.  I'll preface this with a caveat - up until that time, the younger listening public (the "under 35" crowd) was not nearly as "fractured" as it became.  I estimate that at least 60% of the young demo listened at least a little bit to AM top 40.  Though diminishing, AM still ruled.  That said, Disco was introduced in parallel waves.  High schoolers (and younger) were first exposed to it on shows like American Bandstand (the Rate-a-Record feature quickly degenerated into a series of "it's got a nice beat and you can dance to it" ratings) and top 40 radio as Disco songs became hits.  As a result, High School parties of all kinds started featuring Disco.  Same with college undergrads.  That was the "under 21" wave.  For those old enough to visit Discos, FM radio, which was growing in popularity, would advertise the "hot" Disco clubs.  (Eventually these were advertised on AM radio too.)

So, when considering the Boomer demo and Disco, the emphasis was moneymaking, as these were the working people with disposable income.  Whereas with the under 21 crowd, more of the emphasis was for influence - for shaping our tastes so that we'd be Disco lovers forever.

That's my take in a nutshell.    8)

Good points and I hadn't thought of that. :) Would you say that, perhaps because alot of disco songs were like 10 minutes long...is one reason it was most popular in clubs with younger adults? I imagine middle school and high school kids of the 70s (born circa 1960) were like the cast from That 70s Show and more rockers and stuff.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/13/14 at 2:10 pm

Would you say that, perhaps because a lot of disco songs were like 10 minutes long...is one reason it was most popular in clubs with younger adults?

As I was a college undergrad late in the decade - and a dance partying fool - I loved the long songs for dancing    :D

I imagine middle school and high school kids of the 70s (born circa 1960) were like the cast from That 70s Show and more rockers and stuff.

I'd have to say it was a mixed bag among Jr. High and High School kids.  Some liked both, but preferred one style more (for example me - I liked rock a lot but preferred Disco).  There were also many who liked only rock or only disco.  Interestingly, this "fracture" (the first of my recollection) was the beginning of the end for Top 40 as a listening force, as large numbers "defected" from Top 40 over the excessive emphasis on Disco.  With the rise of FM listening choices, people could tune to FM instead and find the music style they wanted to hear.

Written By: Howard on 09/13/14 at 5:42 pm

As I was a college undergrad late in the decade - and a dance partying fool - I loved the long songs for dancing

Do you still party or you don't do that anymore?  ???

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/15/14 at 5:22 pm

Do you still party or you don't do that anymore?  ???

:D  ;)  ;D 

(hint: that was 35 years ago...  although I did party my way through most of the 80's...    ::) )

Check for new replies or respond here...