inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1970s Kids Television

Written By: AcoBrasil on 10/17/14 at 1:19 pm

Hi all. I just stumbled on this site and this is my first post. I think this will be fun since we have so much more available to us on youtube than we did just a few years ago.

My parents restricted my TV more than most of my friends when I was growing up.  In the 1970s, I was allowed to watch Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers, Captain Kangaroo, the Wonderful World of Disney, and occasionally Marine Boy and Superboy/Superdog. I was pretty envious of my elementary school friends who would repeatedly tell me that the Electric Company was cooler than all the stuff I was allowed to watch. 8)

It took me years to track down Marine Boy, especially since I couldn't recall the name.

Here's a clip from the opening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ujZZUjovDs

Subject: Re: 1970s Kids Television

Written By: loki 13 on 10/17/14 at 7:21 pm

Hi all. I just stumbled on this site and this is my first post. I think this will be fun since we have so much more available to us on youtube than we did just a few years ago.

My parents restricted my TV more than most of my friends when I was growing up.  In the 1970s, I was allowed to watch Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers, Captain Kangaroo, the Wonderful World of Disney, and occasionally Marine Boy and Superboy/Superdog. I was pretty envious of my elementary school friends who would repeatedly tell me that the Electric Company was cooler than all the stuff I was allowed to watch. 8)

It took me years to track down Marine Boy, especially since I couldn't recall the name.

Here's a clip from the opening:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ujZZUjovDs

I used to watch Marine Boy as well as Astro Boy, Ultraman, Batman and Superman. I also used to watch Captain Kangaroo,
Captain Noah, Gene London and Rocky and Bullwinkle.  I never really watched those other shows; no Sesame Street, no Mr.
Rogers and no ElectricCompany. It dawned on me that the reason I never watched these shows was because I was rarely home.
If I wasn't in school I was outside playing. In the summer I was out the door after breakfast, home for dinner then out the door
again until it was dark, there was no time for television.

Written By: gibbo on 10/17/14 at 9:53 pm

I used to watch Marine Boy as well as Astro Boy, Ultraman, Batman and Superman. I also used to watch Captain Kangaroo,
Captain Noah, Gene London and Rocky and Bullwinkle.  I never really watched those other shows; no Sesame Street, no Mr.
Rogers and no ElectricCompany. It dawned on me that the reason I never watched these shows was because I was rarely home.
If I wasn't in school I was outside playing. In the summer I was out the door after breakfast, home for dinner then out the door
again until it was dark, there was no time for television.

Similar to me  ... always outdoors.  But I would add Kimba, Gigantor, Prince Planet and Speed Racer to the mix of shows I recall (like Astro Boy and Marine Boy ... Japanese anime).

Written By: Howard on 10/18/14 at 6:44 am

Growing up, I always got a chance to watch Sesame Street, Mr.Rogers Neighborhood and The Electric Company.

Written By: snozberries on 10/18/14 at 12:05 pm

I learned to speak English by watching Electric Company and Romper Room everyday.

I also loved New Zoo Revue. I watched New Zoo again as an adult and called my mom up to apologize for making her sit thru that god awful show!  :D

The Banana Splits!  HR Pufenstuf

and I love that loki mentioned Ultraman... I watched Ultraman regiliously when we lived in Panama! 

Written By: loki 13 on 10/18/14 at 12:33 pm

Similar to me  ... always outdoors.  But I would add Kimba, Gigantor, Prince Planet and Speed Racer to the mix of shows I recall (like Astro Boy and Marine Boy ... Japanese anime).

I forgot about Kimba....great, now that theme song is running through my head....  and Speed Racer, Jonny Quest and
Thunderbirds are Go.

and I love that loki mentioned Ultraman... I watched Ultraman regiliously when we lived in Panama! 

Of all the mentioned shows, Ultraman was the one I would not miss.

Written By: AcoBrasil on 10/18/14 at 4:19 pm

Haha. I didn't mean to imply I spent all day watching TV!  I was only allowed to watch some shows on certain days of the week. Like others here, I was a suburban kid who spent a crazy amount of hours outside by myself and with friends. I'm going to write another thread later about some of the interesting encounters I had as a young child.

I think most kids today are overprotected and inside too much. I try to take my two young ones outside everyday and let my son play outside by himself at 4yo - I wish more parents in my neighborhood valued outdoor time as much as I do. I am also very restrictive with TV and computer - I don't let either one play video games yet. Plenty of time for that later if they want.

Modern playgrounds are too structured also. There are some pretty interesting studies popping up on this lately:

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/03/hey-parents-leave-those-kids-alone/358631/

http://www.inhabitots.com/the-convincing-case-for-sending-your-kids-outside-to-play-alone/

Written By: AcoBrasil on 10/18/14 at 4:21 pm

I also loved New Zoo Revue.

Sounds familiar. I'll check it out.

Fortunately Mr. Rogers is still around. I turn that on for my kids occasionally. Check this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoT7qH_uVNo

Written By: Howard on 10/18/14 at 5:48 pm

I learned to speak English by watching Electric Company and Romper Room everyday

I learned to try and I do mean try to speak some Spanish by watching Villa Alegre that ran from 1977-1981.Villa Alegre was a children's television program that taught kids back then the basic words and sentences of the language.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkps_M9U7-o

Written By: Howard on 10/18/14 at 5:51 pm

I think most kids today are overprotected and inside too much. I try to take my two young ones outside everyday and let my son play outside by himself at 4yo - I wish more parents in my neighborhood valued outdoor time as much as I do. I am also very restrictive with TV and computer - I don't let either one play video games yet. Plenty of time for that later if they want.

Back then I was inside almost all the time and did little being outside playing with my friends. And at being 40 years old I can remember a time when there was no computer at all and watching children's television was a wonderful moment.

Written By: gibbo on 10/19/14 at 2:46 am

I forgot about Kimba....great, now that theme song is running through my head....  and Speed Racer, Jonny Quest and
Thunderbirds are Go.

Of all the mentioned shows, Ultraman was the one I would not miss.

In the 90's ... I bought a video tape of Kimba the White Lion to show my kids (I also picked up a Speed Racer video). I was actually excited to see how it fared all those years later. The theme was completely different (and nowhere near as good).  I couldn't believe they would change it for the video ... maybe a rights issue.  It was a sad day for me ...  :\'(  ;D

I don't believe we got Ultraman over in Australia... :-\\

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/19/14 at 2:55 am

This takes me back to when I was 5 years old.  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS_TmRtoO2k

Written By: snozberries on 10/19/14 at 10:13 am

Wtf is that?!? Super Ho & The Pimps?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/19/14 at 10:37 am

I think I was the only kid who didn't like Mr. Roger's Neighborhood.  :-\\ Of course I didn't like HR Puffnstuff either.

The shows I watched were:

-Wacky Racers
-Kimba the White Lion (even though I seem to recall that as a '60s show)
-Lidsville.
-Sigmound & the Sea Monsters
-The Bugaloos
-The Harlem Globetrotters
-The Hudson Brothers
-Electra Woman & Dyna Girl (I know, I know. There was no accounting for taste. lol)
-Shazam/Isis
-The New Zoo Revue
-The Pink Panther
-Banana Splits
-Josie & The Pussycats

And of course you have the "classics"

-Captain Kangeroo
-Sesame Street
-The Electric Company
-School House Rock

I'm sure there are more.

Cat

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/19/14 at 12:30 pm

Actually their real name is even better. They're called Kaptain Kool and the Kongs.  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 10/19/14 at 1:19 pm

Actually their real name is even better. They're called Kaptain Kool and the Kongs.  ;D

I have been culturally conditioned to read that name and translate it to KKK.  There is no scenario where I can see a title like that and not read it as KKK.  :-\\

Written By: snozberries on 10/19/14 at 1:26 pm

I think I was the only kid who didn't like Mr. Roger's Neighborhood.  :-\\ Of course I didn't like HR Puffnstuff either.

The shows I watched were:

-Wacky Racers
-Kimba the White Lion (even though I seem to recall that as a '60s show)
-Lidsville.
-Sigmound & the Sea Monsters
-The Bugaloos
-The Harlem Globetrotters
-The Hudson Brothers
-Electra Woman & Dyna Girl (I know, I know. There was no accounting for taste. lol)
-Shazam/Isis
-The New Zoo Revue
-The Pink Panther
-Banana Splits
-Josie & The Pussycats

And of course you have the "classics"

-Captain Kangeroo
-Sesame Street
-The Electric Company
-School House Rock

I'm sure there are more.

Cat

I thought Electra (that's where you got her name!!!  ;) ) Woman and Dyna Girl came on when I was in panama but I just checked it aired the year I lived in DC...not sure how I missed that one. It was right up my alley!

Shazam / Isis also ruled my life when I was a kid!  I remember when it was Shazam and Isis hour. Then they would alternate for the half hour....I was always disappointed when I couldn't see both on Saturday ams.

Written By: snozberries on 10/19/14 at 1:29 pm

I also Loved the mystery cartoons....

Charlie chan and the chan clan
The clue club
Funky phantom

Maybe that's why I love super hero movies and crime dramas.  I grew up but my interests stayed the same!!! 

Written By: Howard on 10/19/14 at 2:33 pm

Captain Kool And The Kongs?  ;D

Written By: Howard on 10/19/14 at 2:33 pm

;D

Written By: Howard on 10/19/14 at 2:34 pm

I think I was the only kid who didn't like Mr. Roger's Neighborhood.

You mean the show or the person itself? ???

Written By: Howard on 10/19/14 at 2:41 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFYMijdQ_sA

Who used to watch The Electric Company?  :)

Written By: AcoBrasil on 10/19/14 at 3:02 pm

It wasn't my show of choice, but when offered the choice to watch anything, I took it.  I'm raising my kids the same way. They grumble a bit about Mr. Rodgers and Arthur, knowing that their friends at school are watching kewl shows like Pokemon and worse, but once its running, the complaining stops.

Nice clips everyone.

My kids are really into this right now (not sure if its 70s or 80s).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Klzt8CgtRlw

Written By: snozberries on 10/19/14 at 7:52 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFYMijdQ_sA

Who used to watch The Electric Company?  :)

See my answer below

I learned to speak English by watching Electric Company and Romper Room everyday.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/20/14 at 11:29 am

I thought Electra (that's where you got her name!!!  ;) ) Woman and Dyna Girl came on when I was in panama but I just checked it aired the year I lived in DC...not sure how I missed that one. It was right up my alley!

Shazam / Isis also ruled my life when I was a kid!  I remember when it was Shazam and Isis hour. Then they would alternate for the half hour....I was always disappointed when I couldn't see both on Saturday ams.

Actually, I got Electra's name from mythology. But, sometimes I refer to both Electra & Elvira as "Electra Woman & Dyna Girl." lol.

It wasn't my show of choice, but when offered the choice to watch anything, I took it.  I'm raising my kids the same way. They grumble a bit about Mr. Rodgers and Arthur, knowing that their friends at school are watching kewl shows like Pokemon and worse, but once its running, the complaining stops.

Nice clips everyone.

My kids are really into this right now (not sure if its 70s or 80s).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Klzt8CgtRlw

Oh man, how could I forget about Fat Albert. But I also forgot Scooby Doo, too.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 10/20/14 at 2:12 pm

I have been culturally conditioned to read that name and translate it to KKK.  There is no scenario where I can see a title like that and not read it as KKK.  :-\\

Why would you see it that way?  ???

Written By: Howard on 10/20/14 at 2:17 pm

They grumble a bit about Mr. Rodgers and Arthur, knowing that their friends at school are watching kewl shows like Pokemon and worse, but once its running, the complaining stops.

So they weren't used to the shows that you used to grow up with?  ???

Written By: Howard on 10/20/14 at 2:20 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKof_Lgz0kk

Who remembers The Magic Garden?  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/20/14 at 4:00 pm

Oh, another show I forgot!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3AzdiWHEuc

And this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oytoF-lSgUw

Cat

Written By: AcoBrasil on 10/20/14 at 8:01 pm

So they weren't used to the shows that you used to grow up with?  ???

There's a method to the madness. I'm not just trying to be an a-hole Dad.  We let them watch some newer shows also - Blues Clues, Arthur, Max and Ruby, and *gasp* even Barney - actually that's the one show they won't watch anymore :D

What I don't like are all the fast cuts and CGI, which frequently go hand in hand with violence. Even without violence, it wreaks havoc on a young mind's attention span. I would rather them watch human beings interact or hand drawn cartoons.  I don't want to raise robots.

People in the late 30s and above w/o kids may not realize how evil modern television has become. Teletubbies and Baby Eistein and even Sesame Street (esp Elmo) teach toddlers gibberish and distracts them from natural development time with flashy images. It doesn't improve much with older shows. Pokemon is pure violence. Disney is all about being cool and hanging with cliques.

You should really check out 5:00m - 10:30m on this video if you're interested. It highlights Baby Einstein, a modern cartoon, and Mr. Rodgers. Entertaining, but also terrifying... for me at least.

Written By: snozberries on 10/20/14 at 8:27 pm

Why would you see it that way?  ???

because they intentionally spelled the name to include 3 Ks... there is no reason for Captain Cool to be spelled Kaptain Kool... add the Kongs and you have KKK.....

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/21/14 at 10:30 am

There's a method to the madness. I'm not just trying to be an a-hole Dad.  We let them watch some newer shows also - Blues Clues, Arthur, Max and Ruby, and *gasp* even Barney - actually that's the one show they won't watch anymore :D

What I don't like are all the fast cuts and CGI, which frequently go hand in hand with violence. Even without violence, it wreaks havoc on a young mind's attention span. I would rather them watch human beings interact or hand drawn cartoons.  I don't want to raise robots.

People in the late 30s and above w/o kids may not realize how evil modern television has become. Teletubbies and Baby Eistein and even Sesame Street (esp Elmo) teach toddlers gibberish and distracts them from natural development time with flashy images. It doesn't improve much with older shows. Pokemon is pure violence. Disney is all about being cool and hanging with cliques.

You should really check out 5:00m - 10:30m on this video if you're interested. It highlights Baby Einstein, a modern cartoon, and Mr. Rodgers. Entertaining, but also terrifying... for me at least.

I hear ya about today's kids shows are terrible. If I had kids, I would refuse to let them watch Barney & Teletubbies. And I do know that Sesame Street has become the Elmo Show.

I don't think they are still on but a couple of good children's shows that promote learning are Dora the Explorer & the Puzzle Place. I do know you can get them on DVD. I think the Puzzle Place is OUTSTANDING children's programing.

Cat

Written By: AcoBrasil on 10/21/14 at 12:24 pm

I hear ya about today's kids shows are terrible. If I had kids, I would refuse to let them watch Barney & Teletubbies. And I do know that Sesame Street has become the Elmo Show.

I don't think they are still on but a couple of good children's shows that promote learning are Dora the Explorer & the Puzzle Place. I do know you can get them on DVD. I think the Puzzle Place is OUTSTANDING children's programing.

Barnie was actually a decent alternative when they were younger. The show is mostly centered around the group singing, doing school activities, and field trips. It really has more in common with Mr. Rogers than Tellatubbies. Not cool for adults or older kids though, which is why I think it got such a bad reputation :)  I don't particularly like Dora because I think the show is too dumbed down, but my kids unfortunately do like to watch that every now and then.

Puzzle place looks good! I'll have to add it to the schedule.  I recently bought a ROKU 3 which lets you stream Youtube content through the device. Its a lot smoother than the chromecast stick we have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTlaUd_J-vc

Written By: Howard on 10/21/14 at 2:27 pm

People in the late 30s and above w/o kids may not realize how evil modern television has become.

It's not as kid-friendly as it once was.

Written By: Howard on 10/21/14 at 2:36 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd7f1dpdqAY

Written By: Howard on 10/21/14 at 2:40 pm

I agree that today's shows are terrible. I remember when they brought back The "New" Electric Company a few years ago, that was awful, why does every intro have to be rap-related?  ::)

Written By: snozberries on 10/21/14 at 4:36 pm

I agree that today's shows are terrible. I remember when they brought back The "New" Electric Company a few years ago, that was awful, why does every intro have to be rap-related?  ::)

Because rap is awesome!  :P

Written By: Howard on 10/22/14 at 2:15 pm

Because rap is awesome!  :P

Not all rap is awesome when you don't have the famous intro line made by Rita Moreno during the 1970's, not some silly kids rapping "Hey You Guys". ::)

Written By: snozberries on 10/23/14 at 9:47 am

Not all rap is awesome when you don't have the famous intro line made by Rita Moreno during the 1970's, not some silly kids rapping "Hey You Guys". ::)

most of the people watching the remake had no idea who Rita Moreno was when they watched it and don't know that that line was missing.

Written By: Howard on 10/23/14 at 2:55 pm

most of the people watching the remake had no idea who Rita Moreno was when they watched it and don't know that that line was missing.

Well it was and they should've kept it that way. :P

Written By: Howard on 10/23/14 at 2:57 pm

Who remembers The Hot Fudge Show?

Written By: cwf1701 on 11/01/14 at 11:44 pm

Who remembers The Hot Fudge Show?

I remember Hot Fudge starting out as a local show on WXYZ-TV Detroit in 1974. Another one that seems to be forgotten is "Big Blue Marble". That show showed kids being kids. and the 1974-78 Episodes included some skits with kids doing kid stuff with something funny happening to the kids in the skits.

Written By: Howard on 11/02/14 at 1:19 pm

I remember Hot Fudge starting out as a local show on WXYZ-TV Detroit in 1974. Another one that seems to be forgotten is "Big Blue Marble". That show showed kids being kids. and the 1974-78 Episodes included some skits with kids doing kid stuff with something funny happening to the kids in the skits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m58-l8srf4A

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/02/14 at 1:59 pm

I remember the "Big Blue Marble" but don't recall ever watching it. I may have.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 11/03/14 at 1:20 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOA7V93jtJk

Written By: cwf1701 on 11/04/14 at 12:09 pm

Sometimes, i wonder if a lot of the skits on kids tv was based on fears and thoughts we had as kids ourself? Most of the skits i remember seeing as a kid was on shows like Big Blue marble, and it started out showing kids being kids (playing, etc). The skits i remember (i don't remember all of them) was:

1) a boy blew a huge bubble in front of his friends. the bubble was about half the size of the boy when it popped.
2) a girl who blew a couple of bubbles out of her ears
3) a girl who went to buy a piece of gum and the gumball machine blew the bubble as she watched.
4) a boy, while playing basketball, gets sent up and thru the basketball hoop.
5) a girl, while bowling, contends with a moving pin and a ball that breaks on the pin.
6) a boy, while bowling, finds himself sliding on the lane and into the pins, making a strike.
7) a boy, playing baseball, gets a hole in his bat.

With a lot of these skits, how many of wondered what would happen next if it was us in that situation? If some of these skits was shown on TV today, how many of them would have the disclaimer "Do Not Attempt" placed on the screen?

Written By: Howard on 11/04/14 at 1:17 pm

Sometimes, i wonder if a lot of the skits on kids tv was based on fears and thoughts we had as kids ourself?

I think some of the children's shows back then were trying to help kids feel a bit safer.

Written By: cwf1701 on 11/04/14 at 3:46 pm

I think some of the children's shows back then were trying to help kids feel a bit safer.

Could be. And even in the 70s, there was a few kids who would try (or wanted to try) some of the kid skits for real. And many of the skits sometimes ended in a way you could use your imagination to see what happens next. 

Written By: Howard on 11/05/14 at 1:33 pm

Could be. And even in the 70s, there was a few kids who would try (or wanted to try) some of the kid skits for real. And many of the skits sometimes ended in a way you could use your imagination to see what happens next.

Back then you didn't have those "Do Not Try Or Attempt This At Home" messages like you do now.

Written By: cwf1701 on 11/05/14 at 11:44 pm

Back then you didn't have those "Do Not Try Or Attempt This At Home" messages like you do now.

I guess. But looking back, when we saw some of the skits, who didn't want to be that kid in the scene? I sure did after seeing a couple of them.  In a age where most kid shows now show kids who are 10 going on 30, the shows we saw in the 70s showed kids who was being kids.

Written By: Howard on 11/06/14 at 3:27 pm

I guess. But looking back, when we saw some of the skits, who didn't want to be that kid in the scene? I sure did after seeing a couple of them.  In a age where most kid shows now show kids who are 10 going on 30, the shows we saw in the 70s showed kids who was being kids.

and you couldn't wait to grow up and be like them.

Written By: AcoBrasil on 11/07/14 at 8:13 am

Anyone remember watching any of these?  We were shown several in my high school English classes. My favorites were Paul's Place, Rappachini's Daughter, and the Blue Hotel.

http://www.montereymedia.com/literature/shortstories/ASSC.html

We also watched this, which is a great version of Dr. Heidegger's Experiment:

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/1685292/Doctor-Heideggers-Experiment

Written By: Howard on 11/07/14 at 1:18 pm

http://www.dvdverdict.com/images/reviewpics/localkids06.jpg

Who remembers The Fat Albert & The Cosby Kids Show?

Check for new replies or respond here...