inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do the '70s suffer from an inferiority complex?

Written By: yelimsexa on 11/16/14 at 10:32 am

It seems that the '70s don't get as much respect as other decades for a variety of reasons. Sandwiched between the revolutionary '60s culture (and the Beatnik/Greaser/postwar '50s atmosphere before it) and the electic, trendy, and "I want it all" '80s ahead of it, while the '70s has its share of moments, I feel that the stigmas that affected it remain to this day. First off, the decade sometimes seems to last as little as four years, from the fall of Saigon in 1975 to Disco Demolition and various electronics taking off in popularity in 1979 such as video games and VCR's. That said, the '70s have a lot of things common with both the '60s and '80s such as a rock culture, R&B/soul music, suburbia, snail mail, saturday morning cartoons pre-Internet, color TV that's not HD, various film production techniques, boxy car styles, and the Cold War. While I feel that the inferiority complex is pretty small, I still think its there. What are your opinions?

Subject: Re: Do the '70s suffer from an inferiority complex?

Written By: 80sfan on 11/18/14 at 5:14 pm

I know what you mean, but there's tons of stuff from the 70s that stick out and influence society still today. But yeah, the 60s and 80s outshine the 70s for some reason or reasons.

I'd think that the second half of the 40s is kind of a forgotten era. And the 1900s and 1910s decades are forgotten because there's not an official name for them.

Written By: ralfy on 12/12/14 at 7:46 am

The '70s were typified by economic crisis. We are experiencing the same this decade.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/14/14 at 4:04 am

Inferior to what?

Check for new replies or respond here...