inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite Demis Roussos song

Written By: Nostalgic on 01/29/15 at 4:11 am

Demis Roussos has just died and it got me thinking which of his hits is my favorite. I only know a small handful, but my favorite would have to be "My Friend The Wind". What's yours?

Subject: Re: Favorite Demis Roussos song

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/29/15 at 5:48 am

I spent teenage years liking his songs, but I have always preferred, from 1968, "Rain and Tears" by Aphrodite's Child, with Demis Roussos on vocals, based on Canon in D by Johann Pachelbel, words by Boris Bergman and music arranged by Vangelis Papathanassiou.

YQyxCL1uMlU

Written By: Nostalgic on 01/30/15 at 8:27 am

That was a big hit in France.

Written By: Henk on 01/31/15 at 12:51 am

Not only in France! It hit the #2 spot in the Dutch charts.

Aphrodite's Child and Demis Roussos solo were both very popular in the Netherlands, with a combined total of 15 top 10 hits to their name.

I'm still not sure whether I like his distinct voice or not, so I can't pick a favorite song. :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/31/15 at 12:56 am

Rain And Tears by Aphrodite's Child only reached #29 in the UK Charts on it's release.

Written By: Henk on 01/31/15 at 1:10 am

Not only in France! It hit the #2 spot in the Dutch charts.

Aphrodite's Child and Demis Roussos solo were both very popular in the Netherlands, with a combined total of 15 top 10 hits to their name.

I'm still not sure whether I like his distinct voice or not, so I can't pick a favorite song. :-\\

...but if I had to pick one, it might be this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9YleiapnDo

Follow Me by Demis Roussos wasn't exactly his biggest hit over here, only reaching #25.
It borrows heavily from the (adagio from the) Concierto de Aranjuez, a classical piece by Joaquin Rodrigo, as Philip will probably also notice. ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/31/15 at 3:21 am

Follow Me by Demis Roussos wasn't exactly his biggest hit over here, only reaching #25.
It borrows heavily from the (adagio from the) Concierto de Aranjuez, a classical piece by Joaquin Rodrigo, as Philip will probably also notice. ;)
I want to hear this song, but my tablet is not giving me sound when I use YouTube!

Written By: whistledog on 02/02/15 at 12:04 pm

Demis Roussos was a one hit wonder in America, and a 2 hit wonder in Canada, but not a known name in either country by any means sadly ...

1976 - Happy to Be on An Island in the Sun
1978 - That Once in A Lifetime

Of those two, my favourite is the first one which is my favourite of all his works (atleast the ones that I know)

Written By: Paul on 02/02/15 at 1:53 pm

I'm afraid 'that' voice did nothing for me at all, then AND now - but the man gave a lot of people a lot of enjoyment, so fair play to him...

His 'other' British hit ('When Forever Has Gone') was nice, in a bombastic sort of way, but would have sounded better sung several octaves lower... :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/07/15 at 5:09 am

Finally gotbto hear this track, I have always like the Rodrigo theme, but that song was just not for me.

Check for new replies or respond here...