inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How come the 70s were so cynical?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/06/15 at 7:46 pm

This topic has always interested me. As a young man I know A lot about old school culture. Since I'm an historian, I love to discuss old school stuff. and this is one of them. I've just always wondered, why were the 1970s sooo freakin cynical?
Was it 60s backlash?, the economy?, tragedies?

Subject: Re: How come the 70s were so cynical?

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/07/15 at 1:53 am

The loss of Vietnam and the sense of defeat and humiliation that it caused in the US, events like Kent State and bombings by radicals disturbing the public, the generation gap expanding, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix all dying within a year of each other, The Beatles breaking up, gas lines, economic downturn starting in 1973, Watergate from '73-74 and Nixon's fall and breaking the public's trust after being megapopular just two years before, Gerry Ford almost being assassinated twice in a single month, W.I.N., the economy becoming stagnant around 1978, stagflation, Jimmy Carter being a debbie downer and incompetent....Just some of the factors.

Written By: yelimsexa on 05/07/15 at 7:00 am

The '70s were not cyncial everywhere though. Japan's economy was booming and the quality of its material improved tremendously over the course of the decade. IMO the Baby Boom generation (my parents) may of had a similar feel to what I was with the '00s (another cynical decade due to the dot-com bust and early decade recession, 9/11, Iraq, China seen as the new America like Japan was in the '70s, the consequences of outsourcing/globalization, Bush 43's unpopularity and disapproval, the housing bust and big recession, the generational shift in culture). However, despite this, entertainment had one of the best decades since cynicism often leads to escapism, and that's what arena rock, disco, punk, funk, Jaws, the Godfather, blaxpolitation, "fantasy sitcoms", '50s nostalgia, and much more were.

But the public were in reality dissatisfied. Nixon's approval rating just before he resigned was just 24 percent, after being 59 percent in 1972 shortly before the economic/energy crisis/Watergate hoopla. That said, expectations were lower for Ford, with his lowest approval at 37 percent and at the end of his term, much of the public viewed him for "Healing america" and even restoring some confidence. Inflation was still pretty high, but the economy was steading a bit, similar to 2004-2006 in the '00s but with a bit more inflation (although concert tickets/events/subscriptions had high inflation in the '00s even though those weren't calculated!). As the end of the decade with the second energy crisis, Jimmy Carter's approval rating went as low as 26 percent, even though it rebounded during the Iran Hostage crisis. Plus, terrorism as we know it was on the rise that still has a haunting effect to us today.

Then you had the continued decay of the inner cities and shift to suburbia, another reason that lead to a spike in gas prices due to more miles used per day due to commuting and less transit, along with the second half of the Baby Boom generation (IMO this cohort's definitive decade) driving for the first time in this decade. Overall, a consequence of all these events lead to many people becoming more individualistic, self-centered, and protective.

Written By: gibbo on 05/08/15 at 2:03 am

The Vietnam War aside (as Australia was also involved) ... I don't recall the 70's being overly cynical at all. Musically, it was very diverse ... as were films and tv.  Probably, some of the happiest days of my life (actually I loved the show Happy Days ... which ironically was not set in the 70's).

We don't assassinate our leaders over here...  We vote them out!

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/08/15 at 4:11 am

The Vietnam War aside (as Australia was also involved) ... I don't recall the 70's being overly cynical at all. Musically, it was very diverse ... as were films and tv.  Probably, some of the happiest days of my life (actually I loved the show Happy Days ... which ironically was not set in the 70's).

We don't assassinate our leaders over here...  We vote them out!
...Prime Ministers just disappear when swimming?

Written By: Emman on 05/09/15 at 12:42 am

This topic has always interested me. As a young man I know A lot about old school culture. Since I'm an historian, I love to discuss old school stuff. and this is one of them. I've just always wondered, why were the 1970s sooo freakin cynical?
Was it 60s backlash?, the economy?, tragedies?

The '70s was a decade in which there was a major loss of civic trust and institutions, whether it be marriage, economic progress, crime, environment, ect. This rebellion against traditional institutions was headed strongly by the Baby Boomers, heck even the Silent generation got in on the personal liberation, they headed the divorce revolution.

Basically the strong 1946-1973 post-war civic order was crumbling, the economy stagnated, president Nixon faced impeachment(not to mention that he represented "The Establishment"), crime rates were going up, oil was running out(or so they thought then). This all lead to a crash in '60s idealism and a pervasive mood of cynicism. This turn inward lead to the "Me Decade", it lead to a turn against big government liberalism and paved the way towards Reagan.

Written By: ralfy on 05/09/15 at 9:34 am

It looks like the '70s are, in a way, coming back, as seen in this article about forecasts made in 1972:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/sep/02/limits-to-growth-was-right-new-research-shows-were-nearing-collapse

Written By: gibbo on 05/10/15 at 7:34 am

...Prime Ministers just disappear when swimming?

Only the dud ones!  ;)

Written By: Howard on 05/10/15 at 2:13 pm

It looks like the '70s are, in a way, coming back, as seen in this article about forecasts made in 1972:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/sep/02/limits-to-growth-was-right-new-research-shows-were-nearing-collapse

Is this article really accurate?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/10/15 at 2:17 pm

It is from The Guardian, it must be true, barring spelling mistakes.

Written By: ralfy on 05/11/15 at 11:45 am

Looks accurate to me. Here's the link to the study:

http://espas.eu/orbis/sites/default/files/generated/document/en/MSSI-ResearchPaper-4_Turner_2014.pdf

Written By: ralfy on 05/11/15 at 11:52 am

It is from The Guardian, it must be true, barring spelling mistakes.

Another link to the report, but to the main organization site:

http://sustainable.unimelb.edu.au/publications

Check for new replies or respond here...