inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What Did they predict the 80s and 90s would be like in the 70s?

Written By: d90 on 10/23/15 at 10:33 am

Did they think the 90s would have flying cars

Subject: Re: What Did they predict the 80s and 90s would be like in the 70s?

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/23/15 at 5:31 pm

Compared to the more optimistic 1950s/60s predictions, the '70s predictions tended to diverge quite a bit more from what I've read. Still, with the lunar landing a recent memory, talk about a lunar mission to Mars in those decades was still anticipated. Computer technology predictions actually weren't too far off, even if perhaps a little early. Unfortunately, there were also predictions of unrest spreading worldwide with talks of a third world war. I've even heard about back then since the weather was relatively cool in the '70s that the '80s/'90s could signal a return to the Ice Age by a notable minority.

Written By: Mitch Kramer on 11/11/15 at 2:22 pm

You should check out a magazine called The Futurist.  My parents subscribed to it in the 70s and I remember it contained a lot of articles predicting what the then future would be.  Lots of cool pictures, too.

http://settlement.arc.nasa.gov/70sArtHiRes/70sArt/Cylinder_Endcap_AC75-1883_5729.jpg

http://settlement.arc.nasa.gov/70sArtHiRes/70sArt/Torus_Cutaway_AC75-1086-1_5725.jpg

Generally, it was thought that space exploration would proceed a lot faster than it actually did.  One reason is that there was a lot of concern regarding overpopulation.  It was thought that space colonization would alleviate overpopulation and food shortages. 

Overpopulation was one of those HUGE obsessions during the 60s and 70s that you don't hear about much anymore.  This was before China's one child policy and before anyone understood the impact of Brazilian soap operas.

There were even predictions that there would be widespread food shortages and empty supermarket shelves in the United States.  While widespread famine didn't occur in the US, we do have a massive water shortage here and in other parts of the world and bee colony collapse disorder, so it could be just that the timing and the reasons were a little off.

They were also obsessed with energy shortages and pollution.  Actually, the pollution thing turned out to be correct, although maybe it proceeded at a slower pace than predicted, thanks to the environmental movement.  Also, I'm not sure if anyone foresaw China as a major source of air pollution.  When I was a kid, when you flew between Hawaii and the West Coast, the sky was absolutely crystal clear and deep blue.  Today, it's hazy.

I remember one prediction was that energy shortages would spur the deployment of satellites with solar panels that would beam energy back to microwave antennas on Earth.  That hasn't happened yet.  Instead, we have fracking.

http://www.consumertechblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/solar-based-power.bmp

Written By: Mitch Kramer on 11/11/15 at 4:14 pm

Oh, I forgot: Arthur C. Clarke predicting the Internet in 1974:

FRyPodoRpxg

Also, some 1970s sci fi:

dqOjaiFP6gQ

Zardoz is a 1974 post-apocalyptic science fiction film set in 2293.  However, the back story is that the world suffered some sort of global environmental catastrophe during the 1990s.  As a result, the one percent ensconced themselves in a pastoral paradise called The Vortex, and developed immortality, psychic powers, including a psychic version of the Internet, and genetic engineering.  OK, so the last one turned out to be true, and I think people are currently working on a brain implant web interface.  Also, luxurious doomsday bunkers for the super rich have become a thing in recent years.

I think Zardoz deserves a lot more credit for how prescient it turned out to be.

uLAsBzOOhLQ

Space 1999 TV series.

8CvURidpkCY

UFO TV series, set in the 1980s.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/13/15 at 1:32 pm

I think when they saw science-fiction movies that take place during the 80s and 90s, that's what they predicted. Especially Space: 1999.

Written By: ralfy on 05/24/16 at 7:16 pm

"Sci-Fi TV of the Disco Era: The Grounded Astronaut"

http://www.popmatters.com/feature/sci-fi-tv-of-the-disco-era-the-grounded-astronaut/

Check for new replies or respond here...