inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: when did Gen x youth culture begin and when did baby boomer youth culture end

Written By: d90 on 12/05/15 at 3:25 pm

Whats you opinion on this

Subject: Re: when did Gen x youth culture begin and when did baby boomer youth culture end

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/05/15 at 9:25 pm

There was a lot of overlap, but the '70s were pure Boomer culture (especially the second half of the generation). However, some of the childhood trends were geared toward Gen X, such as Sesame Street, most Saturday Morning cartoons, Gen X was too young to go into discos and Punk was seen as too profane and violent! Plus, the new wave/synthpop/early MTV era in the early-mid 80s was a perfect marriage of late Boomer/early Gen X culture (the "Yuppies"). Maybe the earliest Xers could have gotten into the Jacksons or the Osmonds, but it was just a blip at the most. Rock music had finally become fully mainstream compared to the '50s/'60s (especially early) when older forms of music still dominated everyday life. I'd say 1985 was the final nail in the coffin for Boomer culture with all of the charity concerts that year since lots of people in their 20s/early 30s attended those and those were from the later end of the Boomer generation, and at that point matured to understand the "good cause" nature of Live Aid, Band Aid, and Farm Aid. Then 1986 came and we had hip-hop entering the fringes of the mainstream, hair metal taking off, teeny bopper pop appearing, '60s becoming seen as nostalgic that reveals how much the generation has changed, and of course the first boomers turning 40.

Subject: Re: when did Gen x youth culture begin and when did baby boomer youth culture end

Written By: d90 on 12/05/15 at 9:56 pm

Do you guys consider the first Scooby doo cartoon as a gen x thing or both

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/05/15 at 10:29 pm

Do you guys consider the first Scooby doo cartoon as a gen x thing or both

Mainly a early Gen X thing! As a matter of fact, I consider all of the Hannah Barbera cartoons to be a late boomer and early Gen X thing.
Now; The original Transformers, He Man, Voltron, Gi Joe, Thundercats were they younger Gen X things or core Gen X things? I'm leaning towards younger.
I'm torn on what was the kid culture was for core Gen Xers?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/05/15 at 10:34 pm

The most accurate answer would be when MTV started, and with the death of disco & John Lennon, and finally ''the gipper'' Ronald Reagan taking office.

Written By: d90 on 12/06/15 at 2:56 am

Mainly a early Gen X thing! As a matter of fact, I consider all of the Hannah Barbera cartoons to be a late boomer and early Gen X thing.
Now; The original Transformers, He Man, Voltron, Gi Joe, Thundercats were they younger Gen X things or core Gen X things? I'm leaning towards younger.
I'm torn on what was the kid culture was for core Gen Xers?

i think Fat Albert, and the 1977 animated movie the Rescuers could be core gen X

Written By: Howard on 12/06/15 at 2:26 pm

The most accurate answer would be when MTV started, and with the death of disco & John Lennon, and finally ''the gipper'' Ronald Reagan taking office.

That would be after 1980.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/07/15 at 9:01 pm

IMO "Late Boomers" like me (born 1960) followed our elder siblings; we became "grown up" younger than, say, Millennials.  In our early 20's we were doing grown up stuff.  At 20 I took a full time job that could've become my career.  At 27 I (still single) purchased my own home.  At 21 my brother moved all by himself across the country to pursue his dreams.  Stuff like that.  All that to say, by the early 80's the majority of Boomers (early or late) were feeling grown up - not into "kid" culture any more.  It was the children of (primarily) mid-Boomers - Gen-Xers - who were enjoying childhood in the late 70's/early 80's.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/13/15 at 1:28 pm

Baby Boomer culture ended after the 1970s, while Gen X culture ended after the 1990s.

Written By: PleatherAndPolyester on 01/21/16 at 3:26 am

i don't know if i can use those terms but for me 1983 is where 70's culture splits from the 80s. the culture the 80s is known for began in 1984...........up to that, the culture was gearing up.......you could see signs of it but 70s culture was still in the mix........by 84 the culture belonged to the 80s and 80s alone.

from 83 on you start to clearly see all the signs, styles and icons that are identified with the 80s.

if you look at shows from 80 to 83 you'll see that parted in the middle, curved on both sides, feathered back, hair style that was a mark of the 70s begins rise and rise until you start to see the famous big hair of the 80s hit full stride in 84.

pants start to get more and more straight legged over those same years....... you'll see the 3 piece suit, which were still in style in 79 begin to spill over into the 80s..... slowly transforming into a double breasted suit between 80 and 83. by the end of 83 three piece suits are pretty much dead..... same as flared pants legs

10 speed bikes were big in the mid to late 70s and you still see them in the early 80s but by 83 they are seen as passe and BMX and straight handled bikes are the big thing and by 84 its the only kind of bike a teenager could consider riding.

the 80s that we know of today were prepped during 80 to 83, launched in 84, peaked from 85 to 87, leveled off by 88, began to decline by 89, ended in 90 and the 90s began almost with their own culture already hitting the ground.....to me 90s culture is almost like a non-culture.....it doesn't seem to have the same iconography as other decades, but i digress.

Written By: Joyce on 02/07/16 at 8:56 am

I absolutely love this thread because I'm a gen-x (b. 1967) of two War Baby parents, and have actually had this conversation IRL with my Boomer friends.

First, there's always going to be overlap in interests, especially for those of us who are close to the cut-off between generations.

Sesame Street and Scooby Doo? Definitely Gen-x.  Brady Bunch and Star Wars? Shared.

I had my own transistor radio when I was six, and I listened to the local rock station.  In my little-kid brain, rock was my generation and yet...my War-Baby dad LOVED rock and kept current on everything new.

When I became a teenager in 1980, there were still Boomer teenagers around, so a lot of the music was shared.  Bruce Springsteen? Shared.  Rap music and Madonna? Gen-x (even though Madonna herself is Boomer).  Tiffany and Debbie Gibson? Younger Gen-x.

All that said, I think real Gen-x culture came into its own with John Hughes movies.  "Breakfast Club" came out my senior year in high school.  We could relate to it--it felt like our real lives.  Definitely NOT Boomer.

On a side note, my friends and I liked things that weren't targeted to us.  We loved "Thirtysomething" although we were in college.  We were fans of "Golden Girls".  We liked rock from the fifties and sixties and I had some friends who were rabid Beatles fans. And another friend who owned every Frank Sinatra record available.

Written By: Howard on 02/07/16 at 2:52 pm

I absolutely love this thread because I'm a gen-x (b. 1967) of two War Baby parents, and have actually had this conversation IRL with my Boomer friends.

First, there's always going to be overlap in interests, especially for those of us who are close to the cut-off between generations.

Sesame Street and Scooby Doo? Definitely Gen-x.  Brady Bunch and Star Wars? Shared.

I had my own transistor radio when I was six, and I listened to the local rock station.  In my little-kid brain, rock was my generation and yet...my War-Baby dad LOVED rock and kept current on everything new.

When I became a teenager in 1980, there were still Boomer teenagers around, so a lot of the music was shared.  Bruce Springsteen? Shared.  Rap music and Madonna? Gen-x (even though Madonna herself is Boomer).  Tiffany and Debbie Gibson? Younger Gen-x.

All that said, I think real Gen-x culture came into its own with John Hughes movies.  "Breakfast Club" came out my senior year in high school.  We could relate to it--it felt like our real lives.  Definitely NOT Boomer.

On a side note, my friends and I liked things that weren't targeted to us.
  We loved "Thirtysomething" although we were in college.  We were fans of "Golden Girls".  We liked rock from the fifties and sixties and I had some friends who were rabid Beatles fans. And another friend who owned every Frank Sinatra record available.

What things are you referring to? ???

Written By: Joyce on 02/07/16 at 3:08 pm

"Golden Girls", "Thirtysomething", the Beatles, Frank Sinatra.

Written By: 2001 on 02/07/16 at 7:35 pm

On a side note, my friends and I liked things that weren't targeted to us.  We loved "Thirtysomething" although we were in college.  We were fans of "Golden Girls".  We liked rock from the fifties and sixties and I had some friends who were rabid Beatles fans. And another friend who owned every Frank Sinatra record available.

Fascinating read. Thanks.

Check for new replies or respond here...