inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pick a TV Show: '70s edition

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/06/16 at 7:22 am

M*A*S*H or All In The Family?
Don Kirshner or Midnight Special?
The Price Is Right or Family Feud?
Scooby-Doo or Sesame Street?
ZOOM or The Electric Company?
Hawaii Five-O or Mannix?
Columbo or Kojak?
Ironside or Kung Fu?
The Brady Bunch or The Partridge Family?
Donahue or The Merv Griffin Show?
The Bionic Woman or The Six Million Dollar Man?
The Jeffersons or Sanford and Son?
The Mary Tyler Moore Show or Alice?
Match Game (Blankety Blanks) or Hollywood (Celebrity) Squares?
Love, American Style or Laverne and Shirley?

Subject: Re: Pick a TV Show: '70s edition

Written By: loki 13 on 12/06/16 at 5:44 pm

M*A*S*H
Don Kirshner
The Price Is Right
Scooby-Doo
Joe Mannix
Columbo
Kung Fu
The Brady Bunch
The Six Million Dollar Man
Sanford and Son
Alice
Laverne and Shirley

Written By: robby76 on 12/30/16 at 11:02 pm

I know all of these but too young to know them well. Plus I didn't live in the US. But here's my effort...

Scooby-Doo or Sesame Street? Too tough!
The Electric Company
Hawaii Five-O
Columbo
Kung Fu
The Brady Bunch
The Jeffersons

No Love Boat? Good Times? Eight Is Enough?

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/05/17 at 7:16 am

My choices in bold. Its a shame more people don't have an appreciation for an era of TV before cable, widespread VCR usage, and well before surrealism and sensationalism had arrived.

M*A*S*H or All In The Family? All In The Family. M*A*S*H was a fine show, but you can't deny Norman Lear's development that would be that generation's Chuck Lorre. He also gave us several other popular shows, including The Jeffersons as listed below, not to mention it was clearly that decade's I Love Lucy, Cosby Show, Seinfeld, or Modern Family in terms of overall sitcom popularity. It launched the "idiot sitcom" era.
Don Kirshner or Midnight Special? The Midnight Special. Before MTV, this was the premiere destination to watch the latest hot bands, although Don Kirshner had some somewhat more "indie or developing" bands.
The Price Is Right or Family Feud? The Price Is Right. Even though both are game show powerhouse and TPIR was actually around in the 1950s and '60s, it was the '70s that really made it the show that continues to be the longest running on a network or in syndication, thanks to the variety of pricing games and the party atmosphere compared to Feud.
Scooby-Doo or Sesame Street? Sesame Street. Sure, Scooby-Doo has its charms, but it jumped the shark much earlier (1979) than Sesame Street did IMO (1993), and the later was successful at integrating both children, providing a huge moratorium for those who don't have a song, and the cast/characters sure provided a big family between one another, and lots of grown-ups will still appreciate the old references to pop culture.
ZOOM or The Electric Company? ZOOM. The Electric Company was another show that was seen as "Sesame Street for big kids", but ZOOM really added imagination like few other kids shows did.
Hawaii Five-O or Mannix? Hawaii Five-O. It has produced a successful revival, while Mannix is a moldy oldie that was decent, but seems to be in the shadow of other dramatic shows of its era. It was also filmed in Hawaii, giving many the first chance to really experience what the 50th state was like who have never seen it.
Columbo or Kojak? Not too familiar with either, but I'll have to go with Columbo.
Ironside or Kung Fu? Once again, not too familiar, but Kung Fu.
The Brady Bunch or The Partridge Family? The Brady Bunch. The later actually was more popular when both shows were first run, but of course, you can't deny the iconic family of the former.
Donahue or The Merv Griffin Show? This was a tough one, but I'll have to say Donahue. The Merv Griffin Show was just another celebrity guests show, but although Donahue had some of those episodes, it really brought hard talk to the mainstream, though of course compared to the post-Jerry Springer era, it was relatively tame.
The Bionic Woman or The Six Million Dollar Man? The Bionic Woman
The Jeffersons or Sanford and Son? Sanford and Son
The Mary Tyler Moore Show or Alice? The Mary Tyler Moore Show
Match Game (Blankety Blanks) or Hollywood (Celebrity) Squares? Hollywood Squares
Love, American Style or Laverne and Shirley? Love, American Style

Written By: Cherie70 on 02/07/17 at 7:55 pm

All In Family
Midnight Special
Sesame Street
The Electric Company
Hawaii Five O
Kojak
Kung Fu
The Brady Bunch
Donahue
The Bionic Woman
Sanford and Son
The Mary Tyler Moore
Hollywood Squares
Love, American Style

Check for new replies or respond here...