inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When Did The Sixties Become The Seventies?

Written By: Mr Steamer on 02/07/17 at 11:07 am

Literally speaking, the debate is between January 1, 1970 to January 1, 1971. But I'm talking the metaphorical/cultural decade.

It's easier to determine when other decades metaphorically began and ended. For example, most people will agree the 50's ended and 60's began with JFK's assassination and when the British Invasion started between 1963-64 or that the 80's ended in the fall of 1991 when Nirvana and Grunge became popular.
But trying to determine when the 60's ended and 70's culturally began is harder to pin down. From various dicussions I've read where this sort of topic has been debated, some say the 60's became the 70's as early as 1970 when the Beatles broke up and the Kent State disaster occurred, some say 1972 when Watergate began and Nixon was re-elected, some say 1973 with the Oil Embargo Crisis, and others say 1974 when Nixon resigned. There doesn't seem to be a general consensus.

In my opinion, the true era of the 70's didn't really begin until 1973, this was the year the US pulled out of Vietnam, (which of course, would have ended the mass opposition to the war) Disco and glam rock was beginning to emerge, and various musicical acts associated with 70's music were becoming popular this year too, such as David Bowie, Elton John and Pink Floyd. But of course, people will disagree with me on this.

I also feel the same question can be asked for when the 50's culturally began. It was the post-war decade so an arguement can be made for as early as 1945 when WWII ended, but that depends on what you think of as the 50's. Many people associate the 50's with Malt Shops, Drive-Ins and Rock and Roll, this era of the 50's I believe began in 1954, when Rock n' Roll entered the pop charts for the first time and when The Wild One film starring Marlon Brando became popular which encouraged the youth rebellion. But again many would argue it began at a different time.

But back to my main question, when would you say the 60's culturally became the 70's?

Subject: Re: When Did The Sixties Become The Seventies?

Written By: TheKid99 on 02/07/17 at 11:10 am

Kent State was the day the 60s died....

Written By: 80sfan on 02/07/17 at 11:39 am

For me, personally, 1975, with the Fall of Saigon. Me being Vietnamese and all!

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 02/07/17 at 2:43 pm

Literally speaking, the debate is between January 1, 1970 to January 1, 1971. But I'm talking the metaphorical/cultural decade.

It's easier to determine when other decades metaphorically began and ended. For example, most people will agree the 50's ended and 60's began with JFK's assassination and when the British Invasion started between 1963-64 or that the 80's ended in the fall of 1991 when Nirvana and Grunge became popular.
But trying to determine when the 60's ended and 70's culturally began is harder to pin down. From various dicussions I've read where this sort of topic has been debated, some say the 60's became the 70's as early as 1970 when the Beatles broke up and the Kent State disaster occurred, some say 1972 when Watergate began and Nixon was re-elected, some say 1973 with the Oil Embargo Crisis, and others say 1974 when Nixon resigned. There doesn't seem to be a general consensus.

In my opinion, the true era of the 70's didn't really begin until 1973, this was the year the US pulled out of Vietnam, (which of course, would have ended the mass opposition to the war) Disco and glam rock was beginning to emerge, and various musicical acts associated with 70's music were becoming popular this year too, such as David Bowie, Elton John and Pink Floyd. But of course, people will disagree with me on this.

I also feel the same question can be asked for when the 50's culturally began. It was the post-war decade so an arguement can be made for as early as 1945 when WWII ended, but that depends on what you think of as the 50's. Many people associate the 50's with Malt Shops, Drive-Ins and Rock and Roll, this era of the 50's I believe began in 1954, when Rock n' Roll entered the pop charts for the first time and when The Wild One film starring Marlon Brando became popular which encouraged the youth rebellion. But again many would argue it began at a different time.

But back to my main question, when would you say the 60's culturally became the 70's?

I've even heard 1969. Because the spirit of 1969 went all the way until 1978!

Now back to what I was saying, I'm inclined to say that 1972 was when the 60's became the 70's, with the beginning of Watergate, the diminishment of hippie culture, and the rise of glam rock's popularity.

Written By: Setemstraight on 02/07/17 at 9:05 pm

I've even heard 1969. Because the spirit of 1969 went all the way until 1978!

Now back to what I was saying, I'm inclined to say that 1972 was when the 60's became the 70's, with the beginning of Watergate, the diminishment of hippie culture, and the rise of glam rock's popularity.

That's sounds right. 72 was also the year Nixon began pulling the soldiers out of Vietnam, in turn alot of people stopping protesting the war because they knew they wouldn't be going.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/07/17 at 11:57 pm

Economically, the crash of 1973 really began the 1970's!  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...