inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: '70s music

Written By: violet_shy on 06/21/17 at 2:00 pm

A question I have always asked myself. Why was music from the mid to late 70s so beautiful? The melodies, the music, the lyrics, and the singing. I feel like music before the 70s was just awful(sorry everyone it's true) and when the mid 70s came music became more beautifully composed.  And that continued throughout the 80s(thankfully). Even though 80s music was more synth and pop oriented, most of the music was still beautiful.

Has anyone else discovered this, or is it just me?

Subject: Re: '70s music

Written By: Emman on 06/21/17 at 9:33 pm

A question I have always asked myself. Why was music from the mid to late 70s so beautiful? The melodies, the music, the lyrics, and the singing. I feel like music before the 70s was just awful(sorry everyone it's true) and when the mid 70s came music became more beautifully composed.  And that continued throughout the 80s(thankfully). Even though 80s music was more synth and pop oriented, most of the music was still beautiful.

Has anyone else discovered this, or is it just me?

Is there a style of music you specifically like from this era, disco, soft rock, hard rock, punk, or everything?

Written By: violet_shy on 06/22/17 at 12:27 pm

Is there a style of music you specifically like from this era, disco, soft rock, hard rock, punk, or everything?

I like it all! Soft Rock music was soo beautiful

Written By: Howard on 06/22/17 at 3:00 pm

What's your favorite soft rock song?

Written By: violet_shy on 06/22/17 at 3:14 pm

Too many but this is one of them, 1978 Ambrosia. It has to be the most beautiful song I've ever heard. <3

PF-iJ6KQWT8

Written By: Emman on 06/22/17 at 3:19 pm

There was a lot of soft rock in the early '70s too, do you like '60s folk-rock, that seems like a precursor to soft rock, seeing that you said you don't like music before the mid '70s. 

Written By: violet_shy on 06/22/17 at 3:28 pm

There was a lot of soft rock in the early '70s too, do you like '60s folk-rock, that seems like a precursor to soft rock, seeing that you said you don't like music before the mid '70s.

I've listened to it all, but it's not the same. I think music before 1970 lacked something...I don't know what it is lol.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/22/17 at 8:05 pm

I concur - the period '75-ish to '78-ish did have a pretty unique sound when it came to those slower midtempo romantic songs of the type you mention - I haven't heard anything quite like it before or since.

Written By: Howard on 06/23/17 at 7:26 am

I've listened to it all, but it's not the same. I think music before 1970 lacked something...I don't know what it is lol.

I understand what you're saying, I think war was on everyone's mind and then you had Vietnam War in the early 1970's.

Written By: Bab2781 on 06/28/17 at 3:41 pm

Don't diss the 50's and 60's. Without them there wouldn't be the 70's. Every decade has great music.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/28/17 at 9:07 pm

Lately I've been hearing advertising on my Sirius/XM stations for a new station featuring "Yacht Rock".  I wasn't familiar with the term "Yacht Rock", but in describing the music and playing snippets, it might just be in line with what you're describing.  At least in part...

Do any of the following resonate?

Robbie Dupree > Steal Away
Daryl Hall/John Oates > Sara Smile
Orleans > Dance With Me
Little River Band > Cool Change
Eagles > One Of These Nights
10cc > I'm Not In Love
Ambrosia > Biggest Part Of Me
Atlanta Rhythm Section > So In To You
England Dan & John Ford Coley > I'd Really Love To See You Tonight
Player > Baby Come Back
Kenny Loggins > This Is It
Michael McDonald > I Keep Forgettin' (Every Time You're Near)

:)

Written By: Cherie70 on 07/03/17 at 7:58 pm

Agreed and I love it all. Yes, she is back.  My favorite song is hard to pick in this period.NPFv_k7ohBw Ambrosia, so many I can not begin.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/04/17 at 4:32 am

The music was wonderful to hear for the first time back then, some songs I still cherish to my heart.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/04/17 at 1:51 pm

Good topic!  A relatively early hit, spring of '75 - as I recall it sounded new and different to my ears then (but oh so sweet):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki78MK9JywE
10cc - I'm Not In Love

I surmise that the technology being just there, coupled with the power of suggestion given earlier smashes like this one, led to more artists taking interest in the style...

(As is usually the case  ;) )

Written By: Howard on 07/04/17 at 2:18 pm

Agreed and I love it all. Yes, she is back.  My favorite song is hard to pick in this period.NPFv_k7ohBw Ambrosia, so many I can not begin.

Do you like their other song?

Written By: Howard on 07/04/17 at 2:20 pm

Good topic!  A relatively early hit, spring of '75 - as I recall it sounded new and different to my ears then (but oh so sweet):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_cVCtw7iLA

I surmise that the technology being just there, coupled with the power of suggestion given earlier smashes like this one, led to more artists taking interest in the style...

(As is usually the case  ;) )

I like "The Things We Do For Love". :)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/04/17 at 10:12 pm

I like "The Things We Do For Love". :)

Me too!  :D

(It was from '77, a couple years later than "I'm Not In Love"...)

Written By: annimal on 07/04/17 at 11:38 pm

the things we do for love
the things we do for love

Written By: Howard on 07/05/17 at 2:34 pm

Me too!  :D

(It was from '77, a couple years later than "I'm Not In Love"...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgptvsHHYK4

Written By: annimal on 07/05/17 at 6:30 pm

says she want's to break up and puts on so much make up

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/05/17 at 6:52 pm

Why was music from the mid to late 70s so beautiful? The melodies, the music, the lyrics, and the singing.

Aside from the writing and performance values you mention, there is another reason this music stands out. The production. It was analog and organic. It sounded human and beautiful. When things went to digital in the 80s the sound became thin, icy and cold. Listening to analog music one can be enveloped in the warm sound. Hence why people in the 60s and 70s could get high (for example), put on headphones or lie between two speakers and bliss out for hours. The music was like a warm bath. When it went to digital in the 80s it was more like taking a cold shower and being bombarded by tiny shards of ice. One could only take it for so long before being repelled. True sound quality has never recovered from the move to digital.

Written By: Howard on 03/04/18 at 7:17 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6lcVSOtcC4
Fanny- Charity Ball (1971)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/05/18 at 3:40 am

IMO a key part of the 70's sound was the Fender Rhodes electromechanical piano. I've always loved the sound of these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEXxCCCHxKs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodes_piano

Check for new replies or respond here...