inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Nixon or Carter? Who was the better President?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/29/17 at 3:17 pm

Richard Milhous Nixon (President from 1969-1974)

http://blog.legalsolutions.thomsonreuters.com/wp-content/uploads//2014/08/Richard-Nixon.jpg
Nickname(s): Tricky Dick, Tricky Dicky

OR

James Earl Carter (President from 1977-1981)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4c/Jimmy_Carter.jpg
Nickname(s): Jimmy, The Peanut Farmer, President Malaise

Subject: Re: Nixon or Carter? Who was the better President?

Written By: #Infinity on 07/29/17 at 3:35 pm

Carter, given the circumstances. Nixon was a dishonest, emotional, kingly chief executive who largely did himself in. Carter was, at the very least, a good-intentioned, frank person, despite his indecisiveness and lack of political skill in times of uncertainty and disorder.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/29/17 at 3:37 pm

Carter, given the circumstances. Nixon was a dishonest, emotional, kingly chief executive who largely did himself in. Carter was, at the very least, a good-intentioned, frank person, despite his indecisiveness and lack of political skill in times of uncertainty and disorder.

Yeah, I agree with you. You basically said what I was going to say.

Written By: DesiredUsernameWasTaken on 07/29/17 at 3:48 pm

Nixon.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/29/17 at 3:53 pm

Nixon.

Explain (as usual).

Written By: DesiredUsernameWasTaken on 07/29/17 at 4:15 pm

Explain (as usual).

I don't know, I just don't think Carter was fit for being president whereas Nixon seemed more determined to do things. Also, despite his flaws he seemed like more of a likeable person whereas Carter just seemed very boring and uninteresting.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/29/17 at 4:23 pm

I don't know, I just don't think Carter was fit for being president whereas Nixon seemed more determined to do things. Also, despite his flaws he seemed like more of a likeable person whereas Carter just seemed very boring and uninteresting.

Nixon...a likeable person? HAHA, I definitely wouldn't say that.

If you go by accomplishments under their Presidencies then Nixon edges out Carter...I will give you that.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/29/17 at 4:24 pm

This question would have been unheard of in the 70s, even in the 80s when things swung more to the right. Nixon was a pariah. I'm not sure any amount of revisionist history has changed that, even to this day. The only thing that has really changed about it is that compared to some of today's EXTREME right wing types, Nixon looks more to the left of them.

But my answer is Carter, Carter, Carter. 

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/29/17 at 4:26 pm

Nixon seemed more determined to do things. Also, despite his flaws he seemed like more of a likeable person

GAK!! You obviously weren't around during the reign of Tricky Dick.  :o

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/29/17 at 4:29 pm

This question would have been unheard of in the 70s, even in the 80s when things swung more to the right. Nixon was a pariah. I'm not sure any amount of revisionist history has changed that, even to this day. The only thing that has really changed about it is that compared to some of today's EXTREME right wing types, Nixon looks more to the left of them.

You're on the money here!

But my answer is Carter, Carter, Carter.

I agree with your choice of Carter. .

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/29/17 at 5:53 pm

I have to say Carter.

Nixon COULD have been one of the best pres we ever had. He did a lot for this country-the EPA, open trade with China, ended the draft, pushed for the 26th Amendment to lower the voting age, among other things. But, we all know about Watergate. He brought dishonor on the presidency and this country. He brought this country to the brink and had to resign in disgrace.

Carter's accomplishments include reducing the U.S. dependency on foreign oil and started the push for renewable energy-including putting solar panels on the White House (Reagan took them down  >:( >:( ), welfare reform, brokered peace between Israel & Egypt, among other things. His was one of the few presidencies that wasn't marred in scandal. 

Of course after he got out of office, he was (and still is) building houses for Habitat for Humanity and won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2002.

Cat

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/29/17 at 6:22 pm

I have to say Carter.

Nixon COULD have been one of the best pres we ever had. He did a lot for this country-the EPA, open trade with China, ended the draft, pushed for the 26th Amendment to lower the voting age, among other things. But, we all know about Watergate. He brought dishonor on the presidency and this country. He brought this country to the brink and had to resign in disgrace.

Carter's accomplishments include reducing the U.S. dependency on foreign oil and started the push for renewable energy-including putting solar panels on the White House (Reagan took them down  >:( >:( ), welfare reform, brokered peace between Israel & Egypt, among other things. His was one of the few presidencies that wasn't marred in scandal. 

Of course after he got out of office, he was (and still is) building houses for Habitat for Humanity and won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2002.

Cat

Nice detailed analysis and I agree with you.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/29/17 at 10:02 pm

Having lived through the 70's as a teen, this guy was my favorite 70's president:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d0/Gerald_Ford_-_NARA_-_530680.tif/lossy-page1-220px-Gerald_Ford_-_NARA_-_530680.tif.jpg

Gerald Ford  8)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/29/17 at 11:01 pm

Having lived through the 70's as a teen, this guy was my favorite 70's president:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d0/Gerald_Ford_-_NARA_-_530680.tif/lossy-page1-220px-Gerald_Ford_-_NARA_-_530680.tif.jpg

Gerald Ford  8)

That's great but this is between Nixon and Carter :P.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/30/17 at 7:55 am

That's great but this is between Nixon and Carter :P.

Okay.  Both were bad but for different reasons.

Nixon was never likeable, at least in my eyes.  There was always something shifty about him and his administration.  It wasn't a mystery why people liked to call him "Tricky Dick".  On the other hand, looking from the rear view mirror he was an effective president, bringing (mostly) good changes to the country.  But his and his administration's misdeeds did irreparable damage to the office of the President.  It's hard to whitewash that.  On the other hand, Jimmy Carter was instantly likeable.  His being elected was a promise of the country and the presidency returning to glory days.  Things started out nicely - but then the incompetence started to peek out, and kept getting worse and worse.  The administration never recovered, and things spiraled out of control.  Between domestic incompetence - bad - and foreign incompetence - worse - the country lost a lot of ground.  A promise broken.

That's why I bring up Ford.  Not that he was perfect - far from that - but he was perfect for the time.  A lot of healing happened under his brief administration - and from where we were left after Nixon, that's what we needed.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/30/17 at 8:59 am

Nixon was never likeable, at least in my eyes.  There was always something shifty about him and his administration.  It wasn't a mystery why people liked to call him "Tricky Dick".  On the other hand, looking from the rear view mirror he was an effective president, bringing (mostly) good changes to the country.  But his and his administration's misdeeds did irreparable damage to the office of the President.  It's hard to whitewash that.  On the other hand, Jimmy Carter was instantly likeable.  His being elected was a promise of the country and the presidency returning to glory days.  Things started out nicely - but then the incompetence started to peek out, and kept getting worse and worse.  The administration never recovered, and things spiraled out of control.  Between domestic incompetence - bad - and foreign incompetence - worse - the country lost a lot of ground.  A promise broken.

That's why I bring up Ford.  Not that he was perfect - far from that - but he was perfect for the time.  A lot of healing happened under his brief administration - and from where we were left after Nixon, that's what we needed.

OK...I see. So you choose neither.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/30/17 at 10:38 am

OK...I see. So you choose neither.

Yep.  That's exactly where I stand  ;)

Written By: 80sfan on 07/30/17 at 3:43 pm

Carter? Aaron Carter.

https://images.genius.com/abc13a1843935615068f1bdc2de837ba.600x600x1.jpg

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/30/17 at 8:52 pm

If you were forced to choose then who would you pick?

Written By: HugMePlz on 07/30/17 at 9:45 pm

In my eyes, it's a rather tough call, considering the two had their follies has president.

Nixon had his best intentions, opening up with China, efforts to pull troops out of Vietnam, establishing the EPA, and much other good stuff. But of course all of that was overshadowed by the Watergate scandal, which really tainted his legacy.

Carter meant well, and many people have a slightly more rosy image of him compared to Nixon, but his lack of experience, a worsening economy, and  the Iranian hostage crisis were the many factors that lead to him losing re-election.

I choose Nixon as the better president, though I can see why many people like Carter.

Written By: Howard on 07/31/17 at 2:42 pm

Carter? Aaron Carter.

https://images.genius.com/abc13a1843935615068f1bdc2de837ba.600x600x1.jpg

He's not a president.  ::)

Written By: 80sfan on 07/31/17 at 5:46 pm

He's not a president.  ::)

;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/31/17 at 6:37 pm

Unfortunately, Ford pardoned Nixon which will forever be a stain on his presidency and it cost him reelection in '76.

But, Ford seemed like a decent guy. However, whenever I see him, I can't help but think of Chevy Chase.  :D :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/03/17 at 8:59 am

Nixon, but only by a hair because he established the EPA. Frankly I think both were bad for different but equal reasons.

Check for new replies or respond here...