inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Where would you go to see a trailer for a movie?

Written By: temaichi on 08/17/17 at 10:17 am

The 70s didn`t have the internet so how could they watch trailers from an upcoming movie? I`ve always wondered. Let me know!  :)

Subject: Re: Where would you go to see a trailer for a movie?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/17/17 at 10:35 am

The answer is plain, future presentations were shown as trailers before a feature film was shown at a cinema. There were ads on television, and regarding popularity of a film was by the then media and word of mouth.

Written By: Howard on 08/17/17 at 3:04 pm

The answer is plain, future presentations were shown as trailers before a feature film was shown at a cinema. There were ads on television, and regarding popularity of a film was by the then media and word of mouth.

I would agree that the television was the better source at the time.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/17/17 at 3:10 pm

I would agree that the television was the better source at the time.
In the UK, the BBC had a series of programs that dealt with movies called "Film ..." the dots would indicate the year, so in 1975 it would be Film 75. ITV had a children's television show called "Clapperboard".

Written By: karen on 08/17/17 at 3:27 pm

The 70s didn`t have the internet so how could they watch trailers from an upcoming movie? I`ve always wondered. Let me know!  :)

At the cinema - still do!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/17/17 at 3:30 pm

At the cinema - still do!
After the commercials, and before the feature.

Written By: Howard on 08/18/17 at 7:06 am

After the commercials, and before the feature.

Could you have heard about the trailer on the radio? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/18/17 at 7:35 am

Could you have heard about the trailer on the radio? ???
Commercial radio, or with interviews with film stars?

Written By: Howard on 08/18/17 at 8:12 am

Commercial radio, or with interviews with film stars?

commercial radio.

Written By: temaichi on 08/18/17 at 8:30 am

Woooow. Didn`t really know that! Thank you.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/18/17 at 8:34 am

Woooow. Didn`t really know that! Thank you.  :)
The history of the trailer in cinemas can be read here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trailer_(promotion)#History

Written By: yelimsexa on 08/18/17 at 9:30 am

Interesting how it wasn't really until decades after television became established that theatrical advertising wasn't readily promoted on the tube, especially as it was considered Public Enemy No. 1 to the business. I've never seen a TV spot for a movie from 1950s/60s commercial breaks where they exist, mostly because they were much shorter and color films couldn't experience the full atmosphere on a black & white set. Even then, although there were a few TV spots for films early on in the '70s, it wasn't until the later part of the decade that films started to be regularly promoted on TV, with the void from banned tobacco advertising and the arrival of the blockbuster age with Jaws being key causes of its growth. Radio advertising obviously wasn't that common since you can't see the picture, leaving newspaper advertising as the primary source. Much like today, many of the trailers would be seen prior to the feature(s), although for those who were around in the '70s if it was common to see the trailers AFTER the feature?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/18/17 at 9:43 am

Interesting how it wasn't really until decades after television became established that theatrical advertising wasn't readily promoted on the tube, especially as it was considered Public Enemy No. 1 to the business. I've never seen a TV spot for a movie from 1950s/60s commercial breaks where they exist, mostly because they were much shorter and color films couldn't experience the full atmosphere on a black & white set. Even then, although there were a few TV spots for films early on in the '70s, it wasn't until the later part of the decade that films started to be regularly promoted on TV, with the void from banned tobacco advertising and the arrival of the blockbuster age with Jaws being key causes of its growth. Radio advertising obviously wasn't that common since you can't see the picture, leaving newspaper advertising as the primary source. Much like today, many of the trailers would be seen prior to the feature(s), although for those who were around in the '70s if it was common to see the trailers AFTER the feature?
I never saw trailers after the film, for the audience would be there at the start of the film, if shown after the screening there may not be anyone left to watch it, especially if it was a real turkey. Over the year I have seen many a person walk out of a film, I have done it myself. Btw, I always stay to the very end watching the closing credits, for sometimes there is extra something at the end.

Written By: temaichi on 08/19/17 at 3:39 am

I never saw trailers after the film, for the audience would be there at the start of the film, if shown after the screening there may not be anyone left to watch it, especially if it was a real turkey. Over the year I have seen many a person walk out of a film, I have done it myself. Btw, I always stay to the very end watching the closing credits, for sometimes there is extra something at the end.
Wooooow...That must`ve been a pain in the ass to wait for the credits to roll out. :o

Written By: Howard on 08/19/17 at 6:58 am

Wooooow...That must`ve been a pain in the ass to wait for the credits to roll out. :o

Sometimes it does take longer than usual.

Check for new replies or respond here...