inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 70s Generation

Written By: Karioprkaj on 02/21/18 at 5:39 pm

Guys, what birth years grew up during the 70s era? I was always interested.

Subject: Re: 70s Generation

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 02/21/18 at 5:45 pm

Childhood: 1963-1971
Adolescence: 1954-1963

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/21/18 at 9:22 pm

I grew up during the 1970's, entering the decade at 9 1/2, finishing the decade at 19 1/2.  Those are some pretty significant "growing up" years to me.

So what do you want to know about being a 1970's teen?  8)

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/22/18 at 3:53 am

I grew up during the 1970's, entering the decade at 9 1/2, finishing the decade at 19 1/2.  Those are some pretty significant "growing up" years to me.

So what do you want to know about being a 1970's teen?  8)

1. Your perception of disco from first hearing it to your perception of it when you were in the mid-80s.
2. People's perception of gays in the 70s. Did you know anyone gay or who you thought was gay?
3. When did it feel like the 70s? When did it feel like the 70s ended?

Written By: Howard on 02/22/18 at 5:11 am

So what do you want to know about being a 1970's teen?
  8)

How did you dress during those times?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/22/18 at 6:35 am

1. Your perception of disco from first hearing it to your perception of it when you were in the mid-80s.
2. People's perception of gays in the 70s. Did you know anyone gay or who you thought was gay?
3. When did it feel like the 70s? When did it feel like the 70s ended?

How did you dress during those times?

I mostly liked Disco right away - as you may know it wasn't called Disco immediately, that term started being used around late '74 to my ears (at that point it was pretty well established).  As time went on (say by '77ish), I began to have some resentment towards Disco because it seemed to crowd out other music styles - but I generally still liked it, music-wise.  That sentiment wasn't universal though - some of my peers hated it (some always hated it).

Perception of gays is tough.  Few people in my circle knew anyone that was gay.  There were "rumors" of course, but it was always kind of hush-hush.  It wasn't discussed a lot.  I got a little more exposure once I got to college, as it was a major university - but then anyone thought to be gay still got treated with the whispers and hush-hush talk.

It felt like the 70's pretty much throughout the decade, whatever that means.  It never felt like another decade...

How did I dress?  I was very fashion conscious once I hit 12ish.  I also wasn't very resourced and had logistical issues getting to stores (I lived on a farm).  What I did do was sew.  As a teen I made a lot of my own clothes - and as a result had some nice clothes to wear.  We all went for the fads, including me, but I didn't go gangbusters for them - I had only one pair of big platform shoes, for instance.  But I always wanted to wear the latest fashions - or at least the flattering ones!  ;D

Written By: robby76 on 02/22/18 at 9:30 am

What tv shows did you like? I'm thinking you were the Eight Is Enough target audience.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/22/18 at 7:55 pm

What tv shows did you like? I'm thinking you were the Eight Is Enough target audience.

By my teens I was into semi-grownup shows.  Some of my 70's sitcom favorites included All In The Family, the Odd Couple, Mary Tyler Moore, Sanford and Son, Happy Days, and Welcome Back, Kotter.  I watched a number of variety shows then, too, like Sonny and Cher.  Not to mention game shows like Hollywood Squares.  Plus I liked watching Baseball when it was in season.  My favorite TV shows were on Saturday afternoon - American Bandstand and Soul Train (in my location they aired back to back).  :)

Incidentally I never watched Eight is Enough.  I watched very little TV between late-'77 and early-'80 due to while I was a resident college student, we didn't have individual TVs (it wasn't even allowed) - there was only one giant TV in a single lounge that served the whole dormitory.  :-\\  I did get used to it...

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/23/18 at 6:11 am

I mostly liked Disco right away - as you may know it wasn't called Disco immediately, that term started being used around late '74 to my ears (at that point it was pretty well established).  As time went on (say by '77ish), I began to have some resentment towards Disco because it seemed to crowd out other music styles - but I generally still liked it, music-wise.  That sentiment wasn't universal though - some of my peers hated it (some always hated it).

In your opinion, has there been a genre since disco that was just a big at its height?

Written By: Howard on 02/23/18 at 7:07 am

Did you use to watch One Day At A Time?

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/25/18 at 9:52 am

In your opinion, has there been a genre since disco that was just a big at its height?

New wave/synthpop in the mid-'80s and hair metal in the late '80s was pretty close, but there was lots of freestyle, electrofunk, soft rock, and eventually old school rap and New Jack Swing to counter it, and electropop around Obama's first term was probably the closest thing this century, followed by snap rap in the mid-2000s.

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/26/18 at 12:42 am

New wave/synthpop in the mid-'80s and hair metal in the late '80s was pretty close, but there was lots of freestyle, electrofunk, soft rock, and eventually old school rap and New Jack Swing to counter it, and electropop around Obama's first term was probably the closest thing this century, followed by snap rap in the mid-2000s.

So would you say all these came close but never got as big as disco?

Written By: Dundee on 02/26/18 at 4:04 am

What about Trap? 90% of charting songs in the last few years were influenced by some form of it, whether it is Rap, Pop, R&B or EDM.

Check for new replies or respond here...