inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What years were Disco's peak of popularity?

Written By: 90s Guy on 04/20/18 at 12:57 pm

If we look at the 1990s we usually point to 1992-1994 or 1992-1996 as the peak of grunge's popularity both as a genre and fashion style. In comparison, what would you say are the peak years for Disco as both a music genre and social/fashion phenomenon?

Subject: Re: What years were Disco's peak of popularity?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/20/18 at 1:24 pm

1975-1980.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/20/18 at 3:57 pm

1975-1980.

To even narrow it down more, the peak was summer '76 through end of '79.  Yes to 1975-1980 (it actually started by summer '74); but outside of '76 through '79, other music genres held their own and Disco didn't dominate, whereas between summer 76 through the end of 79, Disco was the dominant genre, and all other sounds seemingly played second fiddle.  (This is why an event like Disco Demolition got so much traction - people who liked other music styles were angry.)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/20/18 at 4:07 pm

To even narrow it down more, the peak was summer '76 through end of '79.  Yes to 1975-1980 (it actually started by summer '74); but outside of '76 through '79, other music genres held their own and Disco didn't dominate, whereas between summer 76 through the end of 79, Disco was the dominant genre, and all other sounds seemingly played second fiddle.  (This is why an event like Disco Demolition got so much traction - people who liked other music styles were angry.)

1976 to 1979 was going to be my original answer.

I agree.

Written By: 90s Guy on 04/20/18 at 4:53 pm

For some it never ended lmao. I have a photo of my uncle in 1987 wearing basically a leisure suit. Not as wild as 70s leisure suits but still. He wasn't a loser but he was a Bensonhurst Italian and I think for a lot of them, Disco ended a lot later than it did for everyone else.

Written By: Howard on 04/20/18 at 5:16 pm

1975-1980.

I would say around that time when music and fashion were cool, people were dressed so wild, the clothes were crazy looking.

https://2lth8w1uv77536l8d72pqh10-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/70s80s-disco-metalics-hair-350x495.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/5d/63/26/5d63264f426d9a5981b73b507541d846.jpg

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/20/18 at 9:55 pm

https://2lth8w1uv77536l8d72pqh10-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/70s80s-disco-metalics-hair-350x495.jpg

Just to clarify, these weren't everyday looks - girls only wore this kind of stuff to parties, concerts, and the like, or entertainers might wear them while entertaining.

Written By: gibbo on 04/21/18 at 1:50 am

Just to clarify, these weren't everyday looks - girls only wore this kind of stuff to parties, concerts, and the like, or entertainers might wear them while entertaining.

... and, of course, in Howard's dreams!  ;D    The pic with the guys was probably earlier to mid 70's.

Written By: GH1996 on 04/21/18 at 2:26 am

My dad was in high school in those years, said disco was at its peak in 75-79/80

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/21/18 at 6:19 am

1976-1979

Written By: Howard on 04/21/18 at 2:14 pm

So what was the everyday wear in The 1970's? ???

Written By: Howard on 04/21/18 at 2:15 pm

... and, of course, in Howard's dreams!  ;D    The pic with the guys was probably earlier to mid 70's.

I just got them from the internet.

Written By: 90s Guy on 04/21/18 at 5:28 pm

So what was the everyday wear in The 1970's? ???

Jeans, t-shirts, dresses, slacks, button-downs
http://i64.tinypic.com/28swqba.jpg
http://i65.tinypic.com/1gffb.jpg
http://i64.tinypic.com/5f11xi.jpg
http://i64.tinypic.com/2e0racl.jpg
http://i66.tinypic.com/fo0swy.jpg
http://i68.tinypic.com/153lnjk.jpg
http://i64.tinypic.com/fz6gig.jpg
http://i64.tinypic.com/huoxv6.jpg

Written By: Howard on 04/22/18 at 2:23 pm

What happened after the popularity was over?

Written By: gibbo on 04/22/18 at 5:25 pm

What happened after the popularity was over?

I think we called that period "The 80's".  ;)

Written By: whistledog on 04/23/18 at 2:42 am

Disco was huge in 1979, the same year it supposedly died, but it never died, it just evolved.  1980 still saw Disco songs in the charts including Upside down by Diana Ross and Take your time (do it right) by the S.O.S. Band

In 1981, the biggest selling single in Canada for that year was a Dutch disco song titled Medley by Stars on 45
In 1983, KC and the Sunshine Band reached #1 in the UK with Give it up

Written By: Howard on 04/23/18 at 5:09 am

I think we called that period "The 80's".  ;)

I guess after the destruction of Disco and Demolition Night, things probably took a different turn.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/23/18 at 11:17 pm

I guess after the destruction of Disco and Demolition Night, things probably took a different turn.

IMO Disco Demolition night didn't kill Disco - it may have sped up some wheels that were already in motion.  It was more of a very public expression of the frustration many felt.  But Disco was still blazing hot in '79 and would stay that way throughout the year.

Written By: Howard on 04/24/18 at 7:05 am

IMO Disco Demolition night didn't kill Disco - it may have sped up some wheels that were already in motion.  It was more of a very public expression of the frustration many felt.  But Disco was still blazing hot in '79 and would stay that way throughout the year.

Were you there to see Disco Demolition Night? ???

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/24/18 at 7:26 am

I'd say the absolute peak was from around Christmas 1977 (SNF came out then) and up through the summer of 1979. The "all disco" radio formats were also only on at that time, and this was also the peak of the roller discos as well. 1976 and most of 1977 had lots of arena rock, pop ballads, midtempo singer-songwriter hits, country, and funk/soul to mix (along with punk in the UK) with the disco, while late 1979 and 1980 had rock, country, and pop, and especially in the UK, New Wave. But that 18-20 month stretch I indicated was when many non-disco artists jumped on the bandwagon, including the Rolling Stones, Rod Stewart, Elton John, and even a couple country artists! Many radio stations, especially in smaller cities avoided disco just like many avoided rock in the '50s, but during that brief period, many of those were just tempted to try it out just to gain an audience. Sort of like how grunge was popular from 1991-1995 (and earlier underground just like disco in the early '70s), but the absolute peak was 1993 and the first half of 1994. 

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/25/18 at 9:48 pm

Were you there to see Disco Demolition Night? ???

Not me - I didn't listen to WLUP or Steve Dahl.  I think I saw it on the 10:00 local news.  I recall that my Dad gave me a heads up about it beforehand; he was miffed that the ballfield was all torn up  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 04/26/18 at 5:23 am

Not me - I didn't listen to WLUP or Steve Dahl.  I think I saw it on the 10:00 local news.  I recall that my Dad gave me a heads up about it beforehand; he was miffed that the ballfield was all torn up  :-\\

Did they cancel the ballgame or did they just resume after the destruction? ???

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/26/18 at 6:11 am

Did they cancel the ballgame or did they just resume after the destruction? ???

There was a double header scheduled that day; the event took place between the two games.  Because of the field, the second ballgame was cancelled and the White Sox were forced to forfeit the game.  :(

(Incidentally, when my Dad first mentioned it and before I'd seen the news, he referred to it as a 'riot'...)

Written By: Alexander1956 on 04/26/18 at 6:57 am

I first heard of Disco in late 1974, but I'd say that the true Disco Era was 1976-1979.

Written By: Howard on 04/27/18 at 7:24 am

There was a double header scheduled that day; the event took place between the two games.  Because of the field, the second ballgame was cancelled and the White Sox were forced to forfeit the game.  :(

(Incidentally, when my Dad first mentioned it and before I'd seen the news, he referred to it as a 'riot'...)

Didn't they start to torch vinyl records? ???

Written By: Howard on 08/09/18 at 5:17 am

Do you think AIDS was the downfall of those dance nightclubs during the later part of 1979? ???

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/10/18 at 7:19 am

Do you think AIDS was the downfall of those dance nightclubs during the later part of 1979? ???

No, not AIDS.  If anything, the big health scare in 1979 was herpes STD - it was epidemic then.  But I don't think it shut down nightclubs.

Written By: Howard on 08/10/18 at 8:03 am

No, not AIDS.  If anything, the big health scare in 1979 was herpes STD - it was epidemic then.  But I don't think it shut down nightclubs.

So if it's wasn't for herpes STD back then, would nightclubs still be up and running? ???

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/10/18 at 10:29 pm

So if it's wasn't for herpes STD back then, would nightclubs still be up and running? ???

IMO no.  I don't think health was the primary driver.  It may have been a factor. 

Written By: Howard on 08/11/18 at 1:49 pm

IMO no.  I don't think health was the primary driver.  It may have been a factor.

Do you think I would've enjoyed Studio 54 in 1979, even though I was only 5 years, let's just say for example given my age now and me going back in time, would've I enjoyed the experience being around loads of people around there? Let's play time machine for a second.

Check for new replies or respond here...