inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What do you remember about 1974?

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/25/18 at 4:48 pm

What was the general 'feel' of 1974? What do you remember being popular in the movies, on TV, what kinda fashions do you remember seeing?

Also, how 'alien' would 1974 seem to someone my age (27) if I were to go back in time to that year? How different was everyday life then compared to now?

Subject: Re: What do you remember about 1974?

Written By: Howard on 05/25/18 at 5:25 pm

The year I was born.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/25/18 at 5:33 pm

Some of the things we didn't have in common usage were microwave ovens, answering machines (later to become voicemail) for the landline phones that everybody had then, and ATMs. The latter was a big one because we were not yet the cashless society we have become. Debit cards didn't exist and credit cards (known as "charge cards" then) were used more for major purchases. Bank hours then were 10 AM to 3 PM (hence the phrase "banker's hours), so  if you had money in the bank and the bank was closed, you just didn't have access to it. So if you were out at night and ran out of money for a cab you were out of luck. You bummed a ride or hitchhiked (and even then it was the tail end of the hitchhike era). 

Music was stunningly fantastic, but not the crap that was getting played on top 40 by then. You just had to ignore all that. But the albums coming out were fantastic. Neil Young's "On The Beach", Dylan & the Band's "Planet Waves", Joni Mitchell's "Court and Spark", Jefferson Starship's "Dragon Fly" (the REAL, Paul Kantner-lead Jefferson Starship, not the later 80s crapola. Let's not start all that again). Great tours that year included Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Eric Clapton's comeback tour after years of drug induced hibernation and Dylan & The Band.  I bought many albums and went to many concerts.

Fashions were cool, not nearly the 70s cliches people think of. For both men and women pants were TIGHT and shorts were SHORT. Hip hugger bellbottoms were still all the rage. People looked great in them.

Yes, I liked 1974.  :)

Written By: Wobo on 05/25/18 at 5:50 pm

The year I was born.

30 years before i was born,  ;D

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/25/18 at 10:21 pm

...Music was stunningly fantastic, but not the crap that was getting played on top 40 by then...

IMO, Top 40 music in 1974 mustn't be sold short.  It was a pretty incredible music year, both albums and Top 40.  I ought to know - I listened constantly!  :) 

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/25/18 at 10:24 pm

Why did people still hang dry clothes in the early-mid 70s?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/25/18 at 10:46 pm

Why did people still hang dry clothes in the early-mid 70s?

Oh, people did use clothes dryers in the 70's - they weren't rare or anything.  But the truth is, hanging clothes is not a bad way to go - if you have time to wait for them to dry and have the hanging space.  The sun and breeze have a good effect on, for instance, white shirts.

About dryers, some older homes may not have had the necessary venting hookups, in which case it might've been difficult to hook up a dryer.  That's the only reason I can think of.  Dryers may have been more pricey on the whole than they are today (in relative terms), but they weren't too exorbitant at the time for the average family.

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/25/18 at 10:58 pm

I was just asking because I've seen a lot of my mother's 70s photos and you always see clothes hanging on a line in the backyard. My sisters' father bought my mother a washing machine in I think 1972 as a gift and it was a big deal. She and him lived with my grandmother.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/25/18 at 11:19 pm

IMO, Top 40 music in 1974 mustn't be sold short.  It was a pretty incredible music year, both albums and Top 40.  I ought to know - I listened constantly!  :)

I left the top 40 behind circa 1971 or so. There were great FM underground radio stations and that's where I lived. I made occasional forays above ground but by 1973 my top 40 days were gone.  8)

Written By: d90 on 05/26/18 at 1:00 am

Why were banks only open from 10am to 3pm?

Written By: gibbo on 05/26/18 at 1:45 am

I was 14 yrs old.  These few things came to mind when I read the thread title.

Billy Joel popped into my head ... as did Aerosmith. Paper Lace singing Billy Don't Be a Hero. ABBA won the Eurovision song contetst with 'Waterloo'. The Steve Miller band had a big hit with 'The Joker'. I was a big listener of the American top 40 radio program (with Casey Kasem ... each Friday night). I never thought it strange that an American radio program was so popular in Brisbane, AU. I don't recall disliking any songs on the radio.

I was at an all boys school ... I recall the gorgeous (braless) lab assistant walking across the schoolyard one cool winter morning and every male was drooling. I'm sure she could feel our eyes on her and she really worked it well.  Strangely, she didn't stay at the school long. She obviously made a life long impression on me.  She must have been in her early 20's.  I  can still see her as if it was yesterday.
Ahhhh....  ::)

Mostly just memories of school and the songs on the radio. I don't think I had many cares in the world. Vietnam War was winding down. Australian city 'Darwin' was wiped out by Cyclone Tracy on Christmas Eve.  Oh ... and I recall discussing Watergate and Skylab in our Cit Ed class.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/26/18 at 7:06 am

Let's also remember the biggest event of 1974. Richard Nixon resigned as President of the United States.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/26/18 at 7:08 am

Why were banks only open from 10am to 3pm?

That's simply the way things were. "Banker's hours". Starting in the 80s or maybe late 70s some banks started staying open late a day or two a week so people could cash their paychecks. (No direct deposit in those days).

Written By: loki 13 on 05/26/18 at 7:42 am

Oh, people did use clothes dryers in the 70's - they weren't rare or anything.  But the truth is, hanging clothes is not a bad way to go - if you have time to wait for them to dry and have the hanging space.  The sun and breeze have a good effect on, for instance, white shirts.

We had a dryer but my mother would still hang dry the whites and linens. I still remember the guy who would drive down the street
selling clothes props and and clothes pins. We had a lot of drive by street peddlers, the guy with the whet stone to sharpen your
knives, the huckster with the fruits and vegetables, the dry cleaner would pick up your clothes then drop them off when they were done.
Other things you could buy from people driving down the street; Mister Softee ice cream, Belgian Waffles, The Whip (sort of a merry-go-round)
ride, pony rides, Fire Engine rides and we can't forget the milkman. We would also have the mosquito guy spraying DDT which smelled really
sweet so tons of kids would run behind the mosquito truck as it went by....hmmmm...explains a lot.

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/26/18 at 8:28 am

My mother and sister, 6/19/1974
http://i63.tinypic.com/23gxrtc.jpg

My dad, 4/24/1974
http://i64.tinypic.com/28swqba.jpg

They didn't know each other yet, and if they had met in the 70s, probably would not have gotten together. My mother didn't like hippie guys then.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/26/18 at 9:29 am

My mother and sister, 6/19/1974
http://i63.tinypic.com/23gxrtc.jpg

My dad, 4/24/1974
http://i64.tinypic.com/28swqba.jpg

They didn't know each other yet, and if they had met in the 70s, probably would not have gotten together. My mother didn't like hippie guys then.

The photo of your father is very, very typical of the we dressed back then. I looked very similar myself (but without the mustache). I told you we looked cool back then. 8)  Notice the "French cut" T shirt. Very common back then. People today have a somewhat distorted view of early 70s fashions, often judging by goofy looking things seen in old catalogs, which isn't really the way anybody dressed back then. Nobody looked like those people in old catalogs and ads.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/26/18 at 10:40 am

I left the top 40 behind circa 1971 or so. There were great FM underground radio stations and that's where I lived. I made occasional forays above ground but by 1973 my top 40 days were gone.  8)

I lived in the "boonies" in 1974, so FM radio wasn't an option for me based on what our radios would receive.  So it was Top 40 for us.  But not to fret - we were continuously treated to a smorgasbord (eclectic as it was) of amazing tunes.

I have myself a database I created a few years back based on Cashbox top 100 charts throughout the 70's - I queried it to tell me all the Top 25 hits hitting the charts first in April/May of 1974 and this is what I got (in order of release):

Carpenters ~ I Won't Last A Day Without You
Aretha Franklin ~ I'm In Love
Olivia Newton-John ~ If You Love Me (Let Me Know)
Nilsson ~ Daybreak
William DeVaughn ~ Be Thankful For What You Got
Bo Donaldson & Heywoods ~ Billy, Don't Be A Hero
Kool & Gang ~ Hollywood Swinging
Gordon Lightfoot ~ Sundown
Paul McCartney & Wings ~ Band On The Run
Jim Stafford ~ My Girl Bill
Ray Stevens ~ The Streak
ZZ Top ~ La Grange
Hollies ~ The Air That I Breathe
Anne Murray ~ You Won't See Me
O'Jays ~ For The Love Of Money
DeFranco Family ~ Save The Last Dance For Me
Ozark Mountain Daredevils ~ If You Wanna Get To Heaven
Blue Magic ~ Sideshow
Eagles ~ Already Gone
Impressions ~ Finally Got Myself Together
Eddie Kendricks ~ Son Of Sagittarius
Carly Simon ~ Haven't Got Time For The Pain
Steely Dan ~ Rikki Don't Lose That Number
Gladys Knight & Pips ~ On And On
Dave Loggins ~ Please Come To Boston
Spinners ~ I'm Coming Home
Cher ~ Train Of Thought
Golden Earring ~ Radar Love
Hues Corporation ~ Rock The Boat
Righteous Brothers ~ Rock And Roll Heaven
Abba ~ Waterloo
Bachman-Turner Overdrive ~ Takin' Care Of Business
John Denver ~ Annie's Song
George McCrae ~ Rock Your Baby
Wet Willie ~ Keep On Smilin'

Save one or two clunkers or unknowns, I'd say this collection is pretty downright awesome  8)

Written By: Howard on 05/26/18 at 2:27 pm

30 years before i was born,  ;D

In 2004? ???

Written By: Howard on 05/26/18 at 2:29 pm

Let's also remember the biggest event of 1974. Richard Nixon resigned as President of the United States.

till he got impeached.

Written By: Howard on 05/26/18 at 2:30 pm

That's simply the way things were. "Banker's hours". Starting in the 80s or maybe late 70s some banks started staying open late a day or two a week so people could cash their paychecks. (No direct deposit in those days).

Were there any ATM's during this year? ???

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/26/18 at 2:38 pm

Were there any ATM's during this year? ???

Check my original post. There were no ATMs in 1974. It was probably mid-80s before ATMs came into mainstream use.

By the way, did you ever notice that some people say "ATM Machine"? Since "ATM" stands for "Automated Teller Machine" saying "ATM machine" is like saying "automated teller machine machine".  ;D  Likewise, anyone who says "PIN number". Since PIN stands for "personal identification number" they are saying "personal identification number number".  Some people even say "the HIV virus". HIV stands for "human immunodeficiency virus", so again, they are saying "human immunodeficiency virus virus". Know your acronyms!

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/26/18 at 3:31 pm

Question for Voiceofthe70s, did you live in a suburb or smaller area during the 70s? I ask because as far as ATMs and such it may have been different in a big city. I ask because of this:

"On September 2, 1969, Chemical Bank installed the first ATM in the U.S. at its branch in Rockville Centre, New York. The first ATMs were designed to dispense a fixed amount of cash when a user inserted a specially coded card A Chemical Bank advertisement boasted "On Sept. 2 our bank will open at 9:00 and never close again." Chemical's ATM, initially known as a Docuteller was designed by Donald Wetzel and his company Docutel. Chemical executives were initially hesitant about the electronic banking transition given the high cost of the early machines. Additionally, executives were concerned that customers would resist having machines handling their money"

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/26/18 at 4:06 pm

Question for Voiceofthe70s, did you live in a suburb or smaller area during the 70s? I ask because as far as ATMs and such it may have been different in a big city. I ask because of this:

"On September 2, 1969, Chemical Bank installed the first ATM in the U.S. at its branch in Rockville Centre, New York. The first ATMs were designed to dispense a fixed amount of cash when a user inserted a specially coded card A Chemical Bank advertisement boasted "On Sept. 2 our bank will open at 9:00 and never close again." Chemical's ATM, initially known as a Docuteller was designed by Donald Wetzel and his company Docutel. Chemical executives were initially hesitant about the electronic banking transition given the high cost of the early machines. Additionally, executives were concerned that customers would resist having machines handling their money"

Nope, I lived in a major big city. Trust me, those things weren't around. Just because they were invented and there was a prototype doesn't mean they were in common usage. I mean, there were very early VCRs (Or Betamax) and answering machines too, but the general public never saw them. HBO existed as early as 1972, but nobody had it. Not the general public anyway.

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/26/18 at 5:30 pm

An ad from 1970 from Chemical Bank saying they were at locations "convenient to you."
http://www.nydailynews.com/resizer/SZioFlZ2-TK-I_AOkBjAIAxglig=/1400x0/arc-anglerfish-arc2-prod-tronc.s3.amazonaws.com/public/JXWKSLRR7SW56ROUGFJQR3OFJU.jpg

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/26/18 at 5:35 pm

Perhaps they were local to NYC at the time?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/26/18 at 8:46 pm

till he got impeached.

Well, his resignation  :(  meant he didn't get impeached...

(technically perhaps he still could've been impeached - but he was pardoned first by Ford...)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/26/18 at 9:23 pm

Well, his resignation  :(  meant he didn't get impeached...

(technically perhaps he still could've been impeached - but he was pardoned first by Ford...)

The resignation was just a way for Nixon to "save face", as when a person gets fired from a job and the boss says "I'll expect your resignation on my desk in the morning".  For all intents and purposes he was thrown out.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/26/18 at 9:30 pm

...There were no ATMs in 1974. It was probably mid-80s before ATMs came into mainstream use...

Agreed - in general.  However I must relate a distinct memory of mine, that when I was a student at the University of Michigan, there was something on campus much akin to ATMs (they were not called ATMs at that time).  This was Fall 1977.  I got the impression at the time that the campus machines were a newer installation; nonetheless they were in widespread use by students.  Now when I came home and went to work in downtown Chicago, I didn't find any such thing - I remember thinking to myself, how backwards can these big banks be?  In downtown Chicago, you'd expect to find something cutting edge like ATMs but they were not widespread there until much later.  A theory (this is pure speculation) is the cost of construction of ATMs probably didn't meet the cost/benefit analysis at the time and so banks may have hesitated to put them in until the demand made it mandatory.  The reason could've been entirely different, though.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/26/18 at 9:43 pm

Agreed - in general.  However I must relate a distinct memory of mine, that when I was a student at the University of Michigan, there was something on campus much akin to ATMs (they were not called ATMs at that time).  This was Fall 1977.  I got the impression at the time that the campus machines were a newer installation; nonetheless they were in widespread use by students.  Now when I came home and went to work in downtown Chicago, I didn't find any such thing - I remember thinking to myself, how backwards can these big banks be?  In downtown Chicago, you'd expect to find something cutting edge like ATMs but they were not widespread there until much later.  A theory (this is pure speculation) is the cost of construction of ATMs probably didn't meet the cost/benefit analysis at the time and so banks may have hesitated to put them in until the demand made it mandatory.  The reason could've been entirely different, though.

There may be something to your theory. If my memory is correct, the first ATM I saw, and it was in the 80s in a big city, was not in a bank, but a freestanding machine in the entryway of a department store. I thought it was to get cash advances from credit cards (which indeed was one of it's functions).

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/27/18 at 5:16 am

Speaking of cards, my grandfather (RIP) had a "credit card" of sorts for OTB. I still have it. You would call, give your name and card number over the phone and were able to place bets and an electronic system recorded your calls and also served as an "account" for your bets. He had to have gotten it sometime between 71 and 75 cause he died in 1975 and the phone betting system started in 1971. It is literally a golden card with the classic OTB logo, his name and telephone number. Still in his wallet.

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/27/18 at 5:19 am

The resignation was just a way for Nixon to "save face", as when a person gets fired from a job and the boss says "I'll expect your resignation on my desk in the morning".  For all intents and purposes he was thrown out.

If we're being honest he did it for money, too. If he resigned he could keep his pension. If he was impeached and convicted he would lose his pension and former President perks. He was deep in money trouble at the time of his resignation, so he needed the pension. He also had only around 12 Senators who would vote to acquit him, far short of the 35 he needed to survive. He had the numbers to win an acquittal until the smoking gun tape came out.

Written By: Howard on 05/27/18 at 2:25 pm

An ad from 1970 from Chemical Bank saying they were at locations "convenient to you."
http://www.nydailynews.com/resizer/SZioFlZ2-TK-I_AOkBjAIAxglig=/1400x0/arc-anglerfish-arc2-prod-tronc.s3.amazonaws.com/public/JXWKSLRR7SW56ROUGFJQR3OFJU.jpg

But they only had 1 cash machine.

Written By: Howard on 05/27/18 at 2:29 pm

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/1a/de/f7/1adef7380a67388c9198f7313e28c177.jpg

https://thesmokingnun.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/1105280491_5a589b2a69_z.jpg

https://image1.masterfile.com/getImage/846-02792696em-1970s-women-redeeming-deposit-on-cans-bottles-at-supermarket.jpg

Supermarkets in the 1970's.

Written By: Wobo on 05/27/18 at 2:33 pm

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/1a/de/f7/1adef7380a67388c9198f7313e28c177.jpg

https://thesmokingnun.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/1105280491_5a589b2a69_z.jpg

https://image1.masterfile.com/getImage/846-02792696em-1970s-women-redeeming-deposit-on-cans-bottles-at-supermarket.jpg

Supermarkets in the 1970's.

Wow looks like a whole different world.

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/27/18 at 2:58 pm

How so? The styling and coloring is a little different, but the essentials are the same.

Written By: Wobo on 05/27/18 at 3:02 pm

How so? The styling and coloring is a little different, but the essentials are the same.

The machines look so dated and the aisles look way different from what a average aisle would look like today.

Written By: Howard on 05/27/18 at 3:10 pm

The machines look so dated and the aisles look way different from what a average aisle would look like today.

and today with the use of U-Scan machines there are even less cashiers now and more people waiting on line to serve themselves with their groceries.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/27/18 at 3:53 pm

Not quite. There was no scanning or bar codes. There were price tags on each item and the cashier had to ring each item in individually by typing the price into the cash register. The cash register did not do the calculations of how much change to give. The cashier had to do the figuring in his/her head.

Bar codes started appearing sporadically around 1980. It took a few more years after that before they were on everything.

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/27/18 at 4:18 pm

It's not unrecognizable to me because I went into grocery stores with cash registers, especially as a kid. The whole look of it outside of the aesthetics is familiar to me and almost nostalgic

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/27/18 at 4:43 pm

Supermarkets in those days also always gave out S&H Green Stamps (or regional variations thereof). The stamps would come shooting out of the cash register in sheets, the amount of stamps dependent on how much money you spent. These were then pasted into books and could be redeemed for merchandise at a local "redemption center". It took a frustratingly long time to save up enough books to get anything good.

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/27/18 at 5:02 pm

I personally would give anything to have lived anywhere from 1946 to 1980 (especially 1958 to 1978). It's in my opinion the greatest run for pop culture in history.

Written By: gibbo on 05/27/18 at 10:24 pm

I personally would give anything to have lived anywhere from 1946 to 1980 (especially 1958 to 1978). It's in my opinion the greatest run for pop culture in history.

I was lucky ... as I had siblings up to 11 years older than me. Even though I was young in the mid-60's (born in 1960) ... I was exposed to the music that they were listening to as well as anything more directed at my age group.  You were right though .... it was a great time to be young and a teen.

Written By: Howard on 05/28/18 at 2:39 pm

When did U-Scan machines start? Was it after 1974? ???

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/28/18 at 3:35 pm

When did U-Scan machines start? Was it after 1974? ???

The scanners were invented early in the 70's, but widespread use didn't occur until the late part of the decade or even the 1980s.

Written By: Howard on 05/28/18 at 3:37 pm

The scanners were invented early in the 70's, but widespread use didn't occur until the late part of the decade or even the 1980s.

Did they lessen the cashiers too? ???

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/28/18 at 3:59 pm

Not at first.  But by sometime in the early/mid 90's there were "self serve checkout" lanes at certain stores - these did lessen the need for cashiers.

Written By: gibbo on 05/28/18 at 5:06 pm

As long as they don't get rid of the cart guys!  :o

Written By: Howard on 05/29/18 at 7:05 am

As long as they don't get rid of the cart guys!  :o

There were cart guys during the 1970's but these guys brought in the wagons instead of leaving them outside and they also helped the customers bring their groceries to their cars too,They were also professionally dressed.

Written By: Howard on 05/29/18 at 7:07 am

Not at first.  But by sometime in the early/mid 90's there were "self serve checkout" lanes at certain stores - these did lessen the need for cashiers.

Nowadays, I see more lines at the supermarket store at the U-Scan machines because they want to get in and get out as quickly as possible.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/30/18 at 6:37 am

Nowadays, I see more lines at the supermarket store at the U-Scan machines because they want to get in and get out as quickly as possible.

At least one store around here previously had them - then took them out  :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/30/18 at 6:52 am

The disappearance of Lord Lucan, the British peer suspected of murder.

btw, never found...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/30/18 at 3:01 pm

What do I remember about 1974? I remember having to walk 10 miles to school in 6 feet of snow barefoot, uphill BOTH WAYS!!!  ;D ;D :D :D :D

Ok, yeah, I am exaggerating just a bit, but I did have A LONG walk. We lived in the middle of two schools. They traded off by grade which kids went to one school & which went to the other-and then they switched it each year so the kids would go to the same school. My sister & I went to different schools. (I wanted to go to the one that she went to.) There were no other kids who went to my school on my street (or for the next few streets). I lived the furthest away and always had to walk by myself for at least 3 or 4 blocks. And there wasn't a bus. It wasn't until my third year (and last) year at that school that I discovered a bus-but only for the kindergartners-but I was able to catch the bus in the mornings but still had to walk home.

I can't remember if it was for my birthday or Christmas but I received a transistor radio. It was white and kind of looked like a flying saucer. It had a long chain with a big loop that you could hang it on something. That radio was my company on that long walk. I remember in class, I kept the radio in my desk (that was opened in front) and I used to play with the chain-something to occupy my hands.

As I listening to my radio while walking, I passed a gas station which often had LONG lines and they had a sign that said either ODD or EVEN. For those of you who do not know, this was during the gas shortage and they had odd & even days. You could only get gas on the days that corresponded to the last number of your license plate. Some days they had a sign that said "No gas."

BTW, a few years ago, I was talking to my sister about that LONG walk. She, too thought that she had a long walk. We went to Google Maps and discovered that my walk was indeed longer-my walk was over a mile one way-hers was under. I'm sure today, no kid would have to walk that far.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/30/18 at 4:02 pm

Listening to Mike Oldfield's "Tubular Bells" while doing my school homework.

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/30/18 at 4:28 pm

This picture isn't from 1974, but from 1975. It however sums up the mid 1970s (imo 1973-1976) for me:http://i67.tinypic.com/2yl1thu.jpg

This picture was the last photograph taken of my grandfather alive. It was taken in April or May 1975; his last Driver License photo. He had suffered a mild stroke in 1973, been hospitalized for pleurisy between January 1st and January 14th 1974, and was very deeply depressed. He lost his big brother suddenly in February 1975. He himself would die suddenly of a second stroke in October 1975 at the age of 55. He already looks spiritually dead in this photo. His eyes. My hero. The middle 1970s strike me as just a dark, dreary, dank time.

Written By: Howard on 05/31/18 at 7:21 am

At least one store around here previously had them - then took them out  :-\\

The cashiers or the U-Scan machines? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/31/18 at 7:32 am

Keep the cashiers, it's more sociable!

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/31/18 at 5:30 pm

Keep the cashiers, it's more sociable!

Philip, the store took your advice - the U-Scan machines were removed and cashiers were added...

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/01/18 at 5:23 am

Philip, the store took your advice - the U-Scan machines were removed and cashiers were added...

Wonderful!

I always mention it to official looking members of staff when shopping.

Written By: Howard on 06/01/18 at 7:09 am

If U-Scan machines were removed altogether then we'd have longer waiting lines.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/01/18 at 7:16 am

It is the face to face customer service that is missing.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/01/18 at 7:17 am

btw, there even long queues even with the machines!

Written By: Howard on 06/01/18 at 8:00 am

It is the face to face customer service that is missing.

I know, I hear what you're saying.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/27/18 at 11:16 pm

In 1974, Disco wasn't the dominant musical force (yet), but it was new and fun and was clearly on the rise.  Songs like, for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svCVX5ah8g8
Hues Corporation - Rock The Boat

8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/02/18 at 5:13 pm

The 1974 FIFA World Cup in (then) West Germany, when England failed to qualify.

Written By: metronomics on 03/21/19 at 1:54 pm

http://www.swtpc.com/mholley/PopularElectronics/Apr1974/PE_Apr_1974_Cover.jpg

Written By: Howard on 03/21/19 at 1:57 pm

It was the year I was born.  :)

Written By: violet_shy on 03/21/19 at 7:51 pm

It was the year I was born.  :)

Yay!

I didn't even exist in 1974. You're only 6 years older than I am, Howard. You could be my oldest brother. And actually, my real brother was born in 1975.

Written By: Howard on 03/22/19 at 5:24 am

Yay!

I didn't even exist in 1974. You're only 6 years older than I am, Howard. You could be my oldest brother. And actually, my real brother was born in 1975.

Hey, maybe we're related?  ;D

Written By: d90 on 03/22/19 at 11:19 am

What cultural elements from the late 1960s were still relevant in 1974?

Written By: metronomics on 03/22/19 at 11:27 am

The drug culture...rock and roll..long hair...tie dyes...anti-establishmentarianism...feminism...quite a few actually.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/22/19 at 11:35 am

Even though I consistently maintain and still  insist that the cultural 60s fizzled to an end in late 1972, there was still an overhang in 1974. Especially from TODAY'S vantage point, if you look back at 1974 many things still appear as "hippy-ish" even though, by 1974 no person at all referred to themselves as a "hippy" anymore.  In 1974 I saw the Crosby Stills Nash and Young reunion tour, which was among the biggest grossing tours of that year, as was Eric Clapton's "comeback" tour, as was Dylan & the Band's reunion tour.  All of these artists, still hugely successful in 1974, first made their mark in the 60s. Also, the Vietnam War was still going on. Though Nixon announced a peace accord had been reached on Jan. 23, 1973, the war continued on and would not truly end until the fall of Saigon on April 30, 1975.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/22/19 at 11:37 am

The drug culture...rock and roll..long hair...tie dyes...anti-establishmentarianism...feminism...quite a few actually.

All that you cite are accurate save for tie dye. There was not much of that at all by 1974.

Written By: metronomics on 03/22/19 at 11:41 am

All that you cite are accurate save for tie dye. There was not much of that at all by 1974.

Oh it may have been less popular but you have heard of Deadheads, right?

http://www.classic70s.com/tie-dye-shirts.html
There were a number of fashion trends that got their start in the 1970s and many of these have remained on the fashion scene.

Tie dyed shirts are one of those iconic 70s items that you can still find on store shelves, and while they’re far from high fashion, they’re a trend that’s destined to stick around.

It’s safe to say that lots of people have at least one tie dyed t shirt in their closet or dresser drawer, even many years after this popular 70s fad got its start.

After all, when it comes to tie dye shirts, what’s not to like? They’re bright and colorful and, as an added perk, you can even create your own!

In the 1970s, most people did indeed make their own tie dye t shirts or other tie-dyed items.

It wasn’t until much later that companies started mass producing them and selling them on store shelves, and now you can buy a tie dyed shirt just about anywhere as they’ve certainly enjoyed a renaissance in the new millennium.

The tie dye shirt phenomenon began with the hippies in the late 1960s. Historians note that hippies on the West Coast, namely the so-called “Flower Children”, began to wear them first, probably in communities like San Francisco’s Haight-Ashbury.

Soon the trend spread, becoming popular all over the United States and in European countries as well. The popularity of the 70s tie dye fad can also be partially attributed to the musicians or that era, many of whom often wore tie-dyed shirts at their concerts and on their album covers.

These included artists such as Janis Joplin, John Sebastian (who usually wore a tie-dyed denim jacket and even tie-dyed tennis shoes), Joe Cocker, Jimi Hendrix, The Rolling Stones, The Grateful Dead, and many others.

Tie dye, however, wasn’t limited to just the hippies of the era. Designers like Halston recognized the popularity of the trend and began to produce their own tie dyed lines of clothing.

Before long, Halston was being commissioned by notable celebrities of the 70s, like Ali McGraw and Liza Minnelli, to create a unique tie-dyed garment just for them. In addition, the tie dye trend soon showed up in home decor items, like curtains, bedspreads, and even wallpaper.

While the tie dye look was certainly a hit with the stars of the 70s, regular people liked it, too. As a matter of fact, if you were “cool” you probably had a variety of tie dyes in your closet.

During that era, most shirts were just plain tie dyed with no other pattern or print on them. (Today, you’re most likely to find tie dye shirts with some sort of insignia or symbol on the front.)

Back then, you would have worn this colorful shirt with your bell bottom pants and perhaps a matching tie dye headband, which would have been tied around the forehead.

https://www.ritdye.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Untitled-3-5.jpg

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/22/19 at 11:51 am

Oh it may have been less popular but you have heard of Deadheads, right?

Yes, but Deadheads are a subculture. I thought we were talking mainstream. Also, believe it or not, while Deadheads indeed dressed like, well, DEADHEADS in 1974, that whole Deadhead "phenomenon" as we know it now, didn't really emerge in it's full flower until quite some time later. For the early part of their career the Dead operated not unlike other bands of the era who went on tour and people went and saw them and then went home. The whole massive traveling circus  of Deadheads caravaning across the country and looking and acting a certain way everywhere the Dead played was still in it's infancy in 1974.

I would also say that tie dye is far more pervasive TODAY, as a retro fashion or as something that has just seeped into the culture in general, than it was in 1974, where it was seen as "dated", having been something that had passed out of fashion in the relatively recent past.

Written By: Contigo on 11/02/21 at 1:17 pm

I began my last year of high school in 1974.
Disco wasnt quite very big yet but was getting noticed.
Most of the guys in school had long hair, just like the girls.  No one I know had tattoos back then.
Concert tickets and movies were fairly affordable even for teenagers my age.
It was easy to look for summer employment.
The world may or may not have been safer in 1974 but it sure felt safer.
It you watched TV in early 1974, you were tired of always seeing anything "Watergate" related .
Patty Hearst robbing  a bank with a semi automatic.
Saw the Godfather pt II, Blazing Saddles, Chinatown, Towering Inferno, Man with the golden gun. (films)
Your average high school parties consisted of beer, pot, ludes, and more beer, and sex.  ;D

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/02/21 at 1:23 pm

Most of the guys in school had long hair, just like the girls.  No one I know had tattoos back then.
It you watched TV in early 1974, you were tired of always seeing anything "Watergate" related .
Saw the Godfather pt II, Blazing Saddles, Chinatown, Towering Inferno, Man with the golden gun. (films)
Your average high school parties consisted of beer, pot, ludes, and more beer, and sex.  ;D

Concert and movie tickets were VERY affordable. You could see major concerts by major bands and stars for $4.50, $5.50 and $6.50, depending on where the seat was. Movies were about $3, if I recall. Movie food and drink was always expensive though. Not a lot of people bought it back then, except for the popcorn.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/02/21 at 1:41 pm

Concert and movie tickets were VERY affordable. You could see major concerts by major bands and stars for $4.50, $5.50 and $6.50, depending on where the seat was. Movies were about $3, if I recall. Movie food and drink was always expensive though. Not a lot of people bought it back then, except for the popcorn.
The one thing I miss about the movies in the cinema at that time was that the shows were continuous performances, you could stay watching the same movie al day long. Now it is separate performances...

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/02/21 at 2:04 pm

I was a H.S. Freshman/Sophomore in 1974

It was around 1974 that women's hemlines dropped - "mini" was out, "midi" was in.

About high school parties, my school didn't have the beer/drugs etc. going on - I went to a parochial school  :-\\

Wasn't that around the time that self-service gas stations started popping up everywhere?  (Besides the experience for the gasoline consumer, that eliminated a lot of jobs for (usually) young guys...)

In that day, it was more common for families to all eat at the same time.  One reason was practical - before the widespread availability of microwave ovens, hot food was much harder to come by unless it was just cooked.

I love those old prices!  On the other hand, I didn't often have $3 that was completely unallocated; even those small funds were harder to come by then for me.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/02/21 at 2:06 pm

The one thing I miss about the movies in the cinema at that time was that the shows were continuous performances, you could stay watching the same movie al day long. Now it is separate performances...

I remember that  :D

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/02/21 at 2:14 pm

I love those old prices!  On the other hand, I didn't often have $3 that was completely unallocated; even those small funds were harder to come by then for me.

The fact that concert tickets were so cheap back then is how I managed to see all the greats and the near greats.

Written By: Howard on 11/03/21 at 3:52 am

I was a H.S. Freshman/Sophomore in 1974

It was around 1974 that women's hemlines dropped - "mini" was out, "midi" was in.

About high school parties, my school didn't have the beer/drugs etc. going on - I went to a parochial school  :-\\

Wasn't that around the time that self-service gas stations started popping up everywhere?  (Besides the experience for the gasoline consumer, that eliminated a lot of jobs for (usually) young guys...)

In that day, it was more common for families to all eat at the same time.  One reason was practical - before the widespread availability of microwave ovens, hot food was much harder to come by unless it was just cooked.

Didn't they eat together at the dinner table? ???

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/03/21 at 10:22 am

Didn't they eat together at the dinner table? ???

Sometimes - but if we ate TV dinners, we might eat them on trays in front of the TV.  But we all ate them at the same time.  (At that time TV dinners were a convenience food that was put in the oven.)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/03/21 at 4:31 pm

Sometimes - but if we ate TV dinners, we might eat them on trays in front of the TV.  But we all ate them at the same time.  (At that time TV dinners were a convenience food that was put in the oven.)

Since it is only the two of us, we do eat in the living room on t.v. trays in from of the t.v. But, it is the food that my "personal chef" makes. When we have others over (besides SIL because she has her own tray), we do eat in the dining room.

Cat

Written By: violet_shy on 11/03/21 at 5:50 pm

I was definitely alive in 1974. I lived in the 1970s during my last incarnation before this one(sounds bizarre, but it's the honest to goodness truth). I don't have detailed memories of it anymore, but I know I was there. I was young. About in my teens or 20s. I couldn't have been older because I do have vivid memories of owning/playing with toys, and dolls from the 60s....so judging from that it was definitely a previous life.

This was slightly off topic but reincarnation is REAL!  :o

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/03/21 at 6:38 pm

I was definitely alive in 1974. I lived in the 1970s during my last incarnation before this one(sounds bizarre, but it's the honest to goodness truth). I don't have detailed memories of it anymore, but I know I was there. I was young. About in my teens or 20s. I couldn't have been older because I do have vivid memories of owning/playing with toys, and dolls from the 60s....so judging from that it was definitely a previous life.

This was slightly off topic but reincarnation is REAL!  :o

Could be. If you were a child/teen in the 60s & 70s in your previous incarnation and were born into this incarnation in 1980 (am I correct in the year of your birth?) you would have died awfully young in that last incarnation, giving you only a short life to consider and contemplate while in the bardo. That would account for the rapid reincarnation.

Written By: Howard on 11/04/21 at 3:57 am

What was your favorite TV Dinner?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/04/21 at 9:07 am

What was your favorite TV Dinner?
One part of my extended family would switch the television off when eating at meal time.

Written By: Contigo on 11/09/21 at 1:35 pm

One part of my extended family would switch the television off when eating at meal time.

We watched TV on the odd occasion that dad wanted to watch the news. So we all watched TV in that situation, except the one who sat at the dining table and who's back was facing the TV, which was me.  ;)

Written By: Howard on 11/10/21 at 3:59 am

We watched TV on the odd occasion that dad wanted to watch the news. So we all watched TV in that situation, except the one who sat at the dining table and who's back was facing the TV, which was me.  ;)

What kind of news did he like to watch?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/10/21 at 4:12 am

I can remember during this period of time, I had to keep quiet during the news, so my father can hear the reports clearly.

Written By: Contigo on 11/10/21 at 6:45 am

Whatever news was on TV

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/10/21 at 7:51 am

What news did he watched?
Of any event that he could handle
With the biggest news of the time
Possibly the Watergate scandal?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/10/21 at 8:47 am

What news did he watched?
Of any event that he could handle
With the biggest news of the time
Possibly the Watergate scandal?

The biggest news of 74
Some found cause for celebration
It had never happened before
Richard Nixon's resignation

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/10/21 at 8:51 am

The biggest news of 74
Some found cause for celebration
It had never happened before
Richard Nixon's resignation
Renown for the catchphrase
"Finally a name you can trust"
Was soon forgotten
And thrown to the dust

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/10/21 at 9:12 am

Renown for the catchphrase
"Finally a name you can trust"
Was soon forgotten
And thrown to the dust

Known for the phrase
"I am not a crook"
The American people had enough
And gave Nixon the hook!

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/10/21 at 9:16 am

I wasn't a Nixon fan, but his resignation threw me for a loop.  I was fine with President Ford taking office, though.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/10/21 at 9:52 am

I wasn't a Nixon fan, but his resignation threw me for a loop.  I was fine with President Ford taking office, though.

To me it seemed obvious by that point. Resign or be thrown out. He resigned to save face. Like an employer says to an employee, "I'll expect your resignation on my desk in the morning".

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/10/21 at 1:47 pm

To me it seemed obvious by that point. Resign or be thrown out. He resigned to save face. Like an employer says to an employee, "I'll expect your resignation on my desk in the morning".
With the manager recording conversations in the office on tape?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/10/21 at 2:23 pm

I confess, I did like Nixon at the time. (He was the first pres I remember-even though I was around for all of Johnson's presidency. I just don't remember.) I remember in 1972, we had a mock election in school (Nixon vs McGovern) and Nixon won the mock election. What was the kicker was this was in Massachusetts which was the only state that DIDN'T carry Nixon that year. (That's where the saying "Don't blame me, I'm from Mass" came from. My sister had a sweat shirt with that on it.)

The thing is about Nixon, he could have been one of the best presidents if it wasn't for Watergate.

-He improved relations with China
-Help reduce tensions with USSR
-Implemented The Clean Air/Water Act
-Established the EPA
-Title IX which gave girls equal opportunity in school sports

These are just a few of his accomplishments. But yeah, he was a crook and needed to be held accountable for his misdeeds. Unfortunately, by being pardoned by Ford, other presidents have gotten away with other criminal behavior.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/10/21 at 2:24 pm

I confess, I did like Nixon at the time. (He was the first pres I remember-even though I was around for all of Johnson's presidency. I just don't remember.) I remember in 1972, we had a mock election in school (Nixon vs McGovern) and Nixon won the mock election. What was the kicker was this was in Massachusetts which was the only state that DIDN'T carry Nixon that year. (That's where the saying "Don't blame me, I'm from Mass" came from. My sister had a sweat shirt with that on it.)

The thing is about Nixon, he could have been one of the best presidents if it wasn't for Watergate.

-Established the EPA

These are just a few of his accomplishments. But yeah, he was a crook and needed to be held accountable for his misdeeds. Unfortunately, by being pardoned by Ford, other presidents have gotten away with other criminal behavior.

Cat
China gave Nixon and the USA a panda in return.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/10/21 at 2:28 pm

China gave Nixon and the USA a panda in return.

Two if I recall correctly-Ling Ling & Sing Sing. Shortly there after, my dad moved to D.C. When I went to visit him, he took us (my sisters & me) to the zoo where we saw them. (We also saw Smokey Jr. who was just a baby at the time. Smokey the Bear was old by that time and was in his "den." Never did get to see him because he died not too long after that visit.)

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/10/21 at 2:30 pm

-Established the EPA

Cat

Any good Nixon did was far, far outshadowed by the bad. Girls sports are nice and all that, but this was a bit more important if you ask me:

Nixon Prolonged Vietnam War for Political Gain

www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/nixon-prolonged-vietnam-war-for-political-gainand-johnson-knew-about-it-newly-unclassified-tapes-suggest-3595441/

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/10/21 at 2:35 pm

Any good Nixon did was far, far outshadowed by the bad. Girls sports are nice and all that, but this was a bit more important if you ask me:

Nixon Prolonged Vietnam War for Political Gain

www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/nixon-prolonged-vietnam-war-for-political-gainand-johnson-knew-about-it-newly-unclassified-tapes-suggest-3595441/

Very true. I do know about about him prolonging the war which is why I didn't include ending the Vietnam War in my list. I put that in the same category as the Iran Contra debacle in the Reagan Administration. If Nixon were held accountable, maybe Reagan would have rethought his own maneuvers. 

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/10/21 at 3:58 pm

It was in 1974 I got to see "The Exorcist" on it's general release in the cinema, a X-rated film, being tall for my age I managed to see it under age, and the film has become my favourite horror movie.

Written By: Howard on 11/11/21 at 3:52 am

Whatever news was on TV

My Father always like to watch the regular broadcast news.

Written By: Howard on 11/11/21 at 3:54 am

Would Nixon still have been in office if it wasn't for the scandal?  ???

Written By: Contigo on 11/11/21 at 8:39 am

Would Nixon still have been in office if it wasn't for the scandal?  ???

Yes Howard. Most likely he would have finished his 2nd term as President.  As a two tern President, he would not have run in the 1976 Presidential Elections (in which Jimmy Carter won)

Written By: 90s Guy on 01/17/22 at 3:57 am

Yes Howard. Most likely he would have finished his 2nd term as President.  As a two tern President, he would not have run in the 1976 Presidential Elections (in which Jimmy Carter won)

He may have died in office w/o Watergate. He developed a pulmonary embolism in Sept '74, he had had a blood clot in June '74. He came very close to death at the time. Otherwise, he was in til '77. Before his own scandal, Agnew was the favorite to win the nomination in 1976.

Written By: Howard on 01/17/22 at 6:23 am

He may have died in office w/o Watergate. He developed a pulmonary embolism in Sept '74, he had had a blood clot in June '74. He came very close to death at the time. Otherwise, he was in til '77. Before his own scandal, Agnew was the favorite to win the nomination in 1976.

Wasn't it supposed to be Ford?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/17/22 at 2:49 pm

Wasn't it supposed to be Ford?

Spiro Agnew had been Nixon's VP up until late 1973; Agnew exited the VP post in disgrace following a tax evasion scandal.  Gerald Ford was selected by Pres. Nixon to replace Agnew; there was no election.  That's something unique about President Ford - he was never elected to be President (or VP).  He was House of Representatives Speaker then, so the only people who had elected him were those in his district in the state of Michigan.  However, the Senate went through the approval process for his appointment after he was named.  Ford was sitting VP at the time Nixon resigned in 1974.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/17/22 at 3:20 pm

Spiro Agnew had been Nixon's VP up until late 1973; Agnew exited the VP post in disgrace following a tax evasion scandal.  Gerald Ford was selected by Pres. Nixon to replace Agnew; there was no election.  That's something unique about President Ford - he was never elected to be President (or VP).  He was House of Representatives Speaker then, so the only people who had elected him were those in his district in the state of Michigan.  However, the Senate went through the approval process for his appointment after he was named.  Ford was sitting VP at the time Nixon resigned in 1974.

All I know about Spiro Agnew, is that he was a terrible golfer.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/31/22 at 2:22 pm

Firstly, Plant A Tree In '73 was a Government-sponsored national campaign in the United Kingdom, aimed at encouraging the population to participate by planting trees during the 1973 'National Tree Planting Year'. At the time a new, virulent strain of Dutch Elm Disease was sweeping the country, killing millions of trees.

There was a rhyme at that time, which went: 'Plant a tree in '73; plant one more in '74. ' When the drought came, someone added: 'See them survive in '75'.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/31/22 at 2:29 pm

Firstly, Plant A Tree In '73 was a Government-sponsored national campaign in the United Kingdom, aimed at encouraging the population to participate by planting trees during the 1973 'National Tree Planting Year'. At the time a new, virulent strain of Dutch Elm Disease was sweeping the country, killing millions of trees.

There was a rhyme at that time, which went: 'Plant a tree in '73; plant one more in '74. ' When the drought came, someone added: 'See them survive in '75'.

I don't remember anything about the UK tree planting.  However, this type of thing was part of culture and at the forefront of people's minds at that time.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/31/22 at 2:31 pm

I don't remember anything about the UK tree planting.  However, this type of thing was part of culture and at the forefront of people's minds at that time.

Oh yes I remember it well.

And to cap it all, 1976 was a bad drought of a year, only for this year to be worse.

Written By: Howard on 08/31/22 at 2:45 pm

Oh yes I remember it well.

And to cap it all, 1976 was a bad drought of a year, only for this year to be worse.

There was not enough rain? ???

Written By: Howard on 08/31/22 at 2:45 pm

The only thing I remember is that I was born. ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/31/22 at 2:52 pm

There was not enough rain? ???
And very hot!

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/31/22 at 3:25 pm

Ah, 1974 girly fashion!  I remember I had a white textured peasant blouse, a blue peasant skirt (light denim color; I made it if I recall right) and some brown wood-soled clogs.  A favorite outfit!  By contrast, I also made a caramel color midi dress from knit material, distinctive b/c it had a hood.  And a beige knit jumpsuit I made - it had a D-ring belt and red zipper/trim.  One other fave outfit was my frog green knit halter top and matching pants outfit for summer - I made that, too.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/31/22 at 4:39 pm

I remember the 'three day week' very well, and wiki explains it very well.

"The Three-Day Week was one of several measures introduced in the United Kingdom in 1973-1974 by Edward Heath's Conservative government to conserve electricity, the generation of which was severely restricted owing to industrial action by coal miners and railway workers.

From 1 January 1974, commercial users of electricity were limited to three specified consecutive days' consumption each week and prohibited from working longer hours on those days. Services deemed essential (e.g. hospitals, supermarkets and newspaper printing presses) were exempt. Television companies were required to cease broadcasting at 22:30 to conserve electricity, although this restriction was dropped after a general election was called. The Three-Day Week restrictions were lifted on 7 March 1974."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-Day_Week

Check for new replies or respond here...