inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What year did Hippie fashion disappear?

Written By: 90s Guy on 06/05/18 at 10:46 am

Wiki says:

"The 70s began with a continuation of the hippie look from the 1960s, giving a distinct ethnic flavor. Popular early 1970s fashions for women included Tie dye shirts, Mexican 'peasant' blouses, folk-embroidered Hungarian blouses, ponchos, capes, and military surplus clothing. Bottom attire for women during this time included bell-bottoms, gauchos, frayed jeans, midi skirts, and ankle-length maxi dresses. Hippie clothing during this time was made in extremely bright colors, as well as Indian patterns, Native American patterns, and floral patterns.

Women's hippie accessories of the early 1970s included chokers, dog collars, handcrafted neck ornaments, and accessories made from natural elements like wood, shells, stones, feathers, Indian beads and leather. All of these replaced standard jewelry. Unisex hippie accessories included headbands, floppy hats, balumba balls, flowing scarves, Birkenstocks and earth shoes.

"By 1974, the T-shirt was no longer considered underwear, and was by then made in elaborate designs such as slogans, sports teams, and other styles. Around the same time the looser, more flowy shirts of the early 1970s had given way to fitted tops.
By the mid 1970s, the hippie look had completely disappeared, although casual looks continued. In the mid 1970s women wore sweaters, T-shirts, cardigans, kimonos, graphic T-shirts and sweaters, jeans, khakis, gauchos,[ workmen's clothes, and vintage clothing. Around 1976, casual fashion adopted a Parisan peasant look. This included capes, turbans, puffy skirts and shirts with billowing sleeves."

Accurate or no?

Subject: Re: What year did Hippie fashion disappear?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/05/18 at 11:13 am

The hippie look, as we considered it then, was vanishing by 1972 and was completely gone by 1973. If anybody looked like or referred to themselves as a "hippie" in 1972 or 1973 they would have been laughed at and considered an anachronism. HOWEVER, if you look at photos of people from 1973, 1974, even 1975 today you might say they look very "hippie-ish".  But bear in mind, we didn't consider this 73, 74 or 75 look "hippie-ish" back then. We felt we had moved on. But history kind of blurs it together now. Even if you look at heavy metal bands from the early 70s (and they weren't called "heavy metal" yet) they look more like hippies now than the later heavy metal or "hair bands" would come to look. But they certainly didn't consider themselves hippies.

Subject: Re: What year did Hippie fashion disappear?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/07/18 at 6:41 am

...Bottom attire for women during this time included bell-bottoms, gauchos, frayed jeans, midi skirts, and ankle-length maxi dresses...

In 1972/73, women didn't wear midi skirts (i.e. below the knee mid-calf skirts).  They were soon to become popular again by mid/late-1974, but in 1973 you didn't see these at all.  Skirts were short then.  If you were a teenage girl at the time (I was), stuff like this really mattered  ;D

From that time, Yes on the bell-bottoms.  Maxi dresses - pretty rare.  Gauchos - "maybe".  I had an outfit with Gauchos that I made (w/a Bolero vest - I sew) and wore it proudly - got a few compliments, but didn't see a lot of my peers wearing them.  :-\\

Check for new replies or respond here...