inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Canadian artists/songs of the 70s

Written By: whistledog on 07/14/18 at 1:01 am

Probably just me talking about Canadian music again, but oh well lol. 
The 70s is my favourite decade for Canadian rock as there were so many good songs.  Feel free to post some of your favourites, while I ramble on about ones that did not make it outside of Canada :D

From 1973, here is Yes! by Fludd.  This made it to #47 in Canada.  3 members from this band went on to form the band Saga
2nX9GzCXYwA

--------

Here is Wednesday with a very fun and catchy song called Here today, gone tomorrow.  This made it to #49 in Canada during 1975.  It was originally written and recored by a duo named Stella and Bambos in 1973
jTYrpzMSJnA

Subject: Re: Canadian artists/songs of the 70s

Written By: nally on 07/14/18 at 1:21 am

The band Bachman Turner Overdrive readily comes to mind. They had several hits then.

You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet
Let It Ride
Taking Care Of Business

...among others.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/14/18 at 3:26 pm

...Here is Wednesday ...

I recall Wednesday had a U.S. hit in early '74 with a cover of Last Kiss  :)  I'd hear it on the radio...

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/14/18 at 3:32 pm

How about the band Lighthouse?  They had a few U.S. hits - this wasn't a huge U.S. hit but I like it:

Lighthouse - Pretty Lady (1973)  :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxLY8ajMfBU

Written By: whistledog on 07/15/18 at 1:17 am

I recall Wednesday had a U.S. hit in early '74 with a cover of Last Kiss  :)  I'd hear it on the radio...

They did.  It reached US #34.  They had one other US hit with a cover of the 60s song Teen angel which only got to US #79

How about the band Lighthouse?  They had a few U.S. hits - this wasn't a huge U.S. hit but I like it:

Lighthouse - Pretty Lady (1973)  :)

That is my favourite Lighthouse song.  It is so good.  It only made it to #53 in the US, but I gather that was high enough to still get some radio play.  Skip Prokop, a founding member of Lighthouse sadly passed away last year. 

Written By: whistledog on 07/15/18 at 1:24 am

The band Bachman Turner Overdrive readily comes to mind. They had several hits then.

You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet
Let It Ride
Taking Care Of Business

...among others.

In 1977, Randy Bachman left the group due to creative differences, and after a not so successful solo album in 1978, he formed a new band called Ironhorse, and in 1979, hit the Top 40 in both the US and Canada with the fantastic single Sweet lui-louise

CnGfkD5UveE

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/15/18 at 1:58 am

Canadian singer Gordon Lightfoot's biggest hit?

9vST6hVRj2A

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/15/18 at 8:49 am

The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald - awesome!  O0

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/15/18 at 1:09 pm

I love the Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald but I think this is my Gordon Lightfoot favorite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5tr_L31StI

To be, this screams Canada. Yup, another Gordon Lightfoot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSXamq-gUbc

Can you tell, that I really like Gordon Lightfoot. 

Cat

Written By: nally on 07/15/18 at 5:57 pm

I love the Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald but I think this is my Gordon Lightfoot favorite.

Can you tell, that I really like Gordon Lightfoot. 

Cat

Good choice with him. Yes, he was another Canadian artist who had lots of hits then. O0 My parents are even fans of his music. (It's kinda rubbed off on me too.)

Written By: whistledog on 07/16/18 at 12:37 am

His biggest hit was Sundown.  It was his only #1 hit in the US, and the 2nd of 3 in Canada.  For you guys in England, his highest charter was If you could read my mind

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/16/18 at 4:36 am

His biggest hit was Sundown.  It was his only #1 hit in the US, and the 2nd of 3 in Canada.  For you guys in England, his highest charter was If you could read my mind
Only reaching #30 in the UK Charts.

Written By: Howard on 07/16/18 at 6:56 am

Did he have any hits in the 1980's? ???

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/16/18 at 4:40 pm

No big U.S. hits - from my reference it looks like he had a minor hit in '82 called Baby Step Back

I had the pleasure of attending a Gordon Lightfoot concert (it was outdoors) and he was excellent!  This was in '83 or '84.  Most of what he performed I would characterize as his "old stuff" (from the 70's).

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/16/18 at 4:49 pm

The Guess Who (from whence Randy Bachman also of B.T.O. fame came) was still rockin' in the 70's! They had a huge U.S. hit with this one (ironically, since it was arguably anti-U.S.)  ;)

The Guess Who - American Woman (1970)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkqfpkTTy2w

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/16/18 at 4:53 pm

Anne Murray was a big hitmaker in the U.S. during the 70s - I always liked this Beatles cover of hers  :)

Anne Murray - You Won't See Me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlM15soLy-Y

Written By: nally on 07/16/18 at 11:17 pm

The Guess Who (from whence Randy Bachman also of B.T.O. fame came) was still rockin' in the 70's! They had a huge U.S. hit with this one (ironically, since it was arguably anti-U.S.)  ;)

Oh yes, that one still gets widely played on the radio (at least here). As well as their preceding single "No Time", which is from the end of the preceding decade.

Written By: whistledog on 07/17/18 at 1:08 am

In 1986, he had a surprise Top 40 hit here in Canada called Anything for love.  It featured David Foster on keyboards.  It was his only mainstream Top 40 hit of the 80s

It's funny.  Burton Cummings said once in an interview that the American Woman they are singing about is the Statue of Liberty, which confused me because wasn't that a gift from France?  I guess "French woman, stay away from me" doesn't have the same ring to it lol

Written By: whistledog on 07/17/18 at 1:26 am

In 1971, a Gospel-Rock band from Toronto called Ocean had a hit with Put your hand in the hand.  It reached #2 in the US and #10 in Canada.  They went on to have a few other minor hits in both countries, but in 1972, they saw the Top 40 in Canada one more time with a fantastic song called One more chance that made it to #12

v3nHe9AFSNg

Written By: whistledog on 07/17/18 at 2:12 am

One more for now …

Any April Wine fans out there?  They were one of Canada's best kept secrets of the 1970s.  From 1971-1979, they had 21 hit singles in Canada.  Of those, only two of them saw the US Hot 100, both reaching the Top 40:  Their cover of the Hot Chocolate song You could have been a lady made it to #32 in 1972 and an original composition called Roller made it to #34 in 1979.

Flash forward to the 80s, they had a brief run of minor charting singles in the US.  One such from 1982 was called Sign of the gypsy queen which reached US #52.  Not a big hit, but from what I understand, it is somewhat well known to American audiences, but did you know it was a cover song?  The original is by a man named Lorence Hud and made it to #16 in Canada during January of 1973.  Here is a comparison of both ...

TDcw-HJ-Eyc qQZIhFQjUfE

Written By: Howard on 07/17/18 at 7:02 am

Oh yes, that one still gets widely played on the radio (at least here). As well as their preceding single "No Time", which is from the end of the preceding decade.

and I also think "Clap For The Wolfman".

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/17/18 at 11:09 am

Born in Canada, Andy Kim, "Rock Me Gently" reached #2 in the UK in 1974.

9ym3RlvVR9M

Written By: whistledog on 08/31/18 at 1:51 pm

I like Andy Kim's music.  He had quite a few hits in the 70s, and under the alias Baron Longfellow, had a few more hits in the 80s.  He wrote hits for The Archies such as Jingle Jangle and Sugar Sugar

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/31/18 at 3:26 pm

Here's a fun one  :)

The Stampeders - Sweet City Woman  (1971) 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CPt3eSBJiQ

Written By: annimal on 08/31/18 at 3:38 pm

oh man, my double vision now

Written By: whistledog on 02/21/22 at 3:58 pm

Any fans of the 80s band Loverboy?  Well, before Loverboy, there was Streetheart.  Both Matt Frenette (drums) and Paul Dean (guitar) had been original members before leaving to form Loverboy in 1979. 

Streetheart were better known for their 80s hits, but their first chart single in Canada (and only chart hit of the 70s) was in 1979 called Here Comes the Night.  This only peaked at #60, but I still hear it on the radio quite often and it still sounds great!

QiFftZbmUv8

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/21/22 at 4:40 pm

Any fans of the 80s band Loverboy?  Well, before Loverboy, there was Streetheart.  Both Matt Frenette (drums) and Paul Dean (guitar) had been original members before leaving to form Loverboy in 1979. 

Streetheart were better known for their 80s hits, but their first chart single in Canada (and only chart hit of the 70s) was in 1979 called Here Comes the Night.  This only peaked at #60, but I still hear it on the radio quite often and it still sounds great!

QiFftZbmUv8

Talk about coincidence. I'm going through a whole bunch of crap stuff that I have kept over the years and TODAY I found the ticket stubs of when I went to see Loverboy back in the '80s.

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 02/21/22 at 7:09 pm

Talk about coincidence. I'm going through a whole bunch of crap stuff that I have kept over the years and TODAY I found the ticket stubs of when I went to see Loverboy back in the '80s.

Cat

Dang, those could be worth money.  You got to see Loverboy when their original bassist Scott Smith was still alive.  Their current bass player is a guy named Ken Sinnaeve, who was a founding member of Streetheart

Written By: nally on 02/21/22 at 11:23 pm

and I also think "Clap For The Wolfman".

Yep, that hit from '74 is on many classic rock playlists. O0

Written By: whistledog on 01/01/23 at 5:36 pm

Here is a fun one from 1979 by Jamaican born Canadian singer Claudia Barry
Boogie Woogie Dancin' Shoes peaked at #56 in the US (also #7 on the US dance chart) and #7 in Canada

RBAERlCCcn4

Check for new replies or respond here...