inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Persecution of Hippies

Written By: 90s Guy on 08/05/18 at 3:37 am

So in another thread I detailed the abuse, robbery and ridicule my
Father suffered at the hands of the NYPD in the 70s and 80s simply for having long hair. He wasn't even a "real Hippie." Didn't stop he cops from beating on him. Didn't stop my grandpa from tearing down his poster which said "War is unhealthy for children and other living things" (My dad as opposed to Vietnam, Grandpa was the hawk of hawks).

So of those here who lived through the 60s and 70s, can you recall incidents of you or those you knew or knew of being mistreated for either having their hair long or being hippies? Today we treat hippies as a punchline and demonize them as junkies and bums who spat on veterans, but in Nixon's America they were a targeted minority. That seems to be forgotten.

Subject: Re: Persecution of Hippies

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/12/18 at 2:06 pm

Up until the late 60s (and I think it may actually have been even slightly later than that) men with long hair were banned from Disneyland. I'm not kidding.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/hair-today/

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/23/19 at 3:02 pm

...can you recall incidents of you or those you knew or knew of being mistreated for either having their hair long or being hippies...

Not me - although it might have been my age (I was only 10 in 1970, for example).  However I can say that men with long hair tended to be treated differently, in many cases with a lack of respect - and this wasn't even hidden, you'd see it in culture, on the big screen and small screen alike, and even in songs.  On the other hand, for us kids, we often looked up to "hippie" looking types and wanted to emulate them (I even wanted to be a hippie at age 10  ;D).

Written By: Howard on 01/23/19 at 3:14 pm

Not me - although it might have been my age (I was only 10 in 1970, for example).  However I can say that men with long hair tended to be treated differently, in many cases with a lack of respect - and this wasn't even hidden, you'd see it in culture, on the big screen and small screen alike, and even in songs.  On the other hand, for us kids, we often looked up to "hippie" looking types and wanted to emulate them (I even wanted to be a hippie at age 10  ;D).

Did hippies wear deodorant or cologne/perfume?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/23/19 at 3:34 pm

Did hippies wear deodorant or cologne/perfume?

Some did, some didn't, just like everybody else you've ever met. And of course, patchouli was a favorite fragrance for hippies both male and female. I had some myself.

Written By: Howard on 01/24/19 at 5:16 am

Some did, some didn't, just like everybody else you've ever met. And of course, patchouli was a favorite fragrance for hippies both male and female. I had some myself.

Was that supposed to be a cologne fragrance of some sort? ???

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/24/19 at 8:43 am

Was that supposed to be a cologne fragrance of some sort? ???

Yes, it's very common to this day. You can get it as oil, perfume, incense, candles, just about anything. You should try some.

Check for new replies or respond here...