inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: '70s ad for a baby doll - sexist even in the 1970s?

Written By: andersenb11775 on 09/19/18 at 10:36 am

Looking at this Suzy Homemaker ad, the way they've dressed the child actress reminds me of how they dressed Vicki in Small Wonder a decade later and it's for the same reasons - to project the image of a certain type of femininity and to indicate that the child is a "proper young lady". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ70VuVqCj4

Subject: Re: '70s ad for a baby doll - sexist even in the 1970s?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/19/18 at 10:35 pm

Although IMO in the 70's sexism was still fairly prevalent (but improving), I looked at the commercial - it didn't seem that bad, other than the doll's name Suzie Homemaker.  It's not as if they said the doll would hang out in the kitchen with you.  And the actress' dress seemed normal for perhaps a Sunday dress.  So the image portrayed wasn't too surprising from my standpoint (70's teen).

Written By: Howard on 09/20/18 at 6:57 am

Looking at this Suzy Homemaker ad, the way they've dressed the child actress reminds me of how they dressed Vicki in Small Wonder a decade later and it's for the same reasons - to project the image of a certain type of femininity and to indicate that the child is a "proper young lady". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ70VuVqCj4

Written By: Howard on 09/20/18 at 6:59 am

Although IMO in the 70's sexism was still fairly prevalent (but improving), I looked at the commercial - it didn't seem that bad, other than the doll's name Suzie Homemaker.  It's not as if they said the doll would hang out in the kitchen with you.  And the actress' dress seemed normal for perhaps a Sunday dress.  So the image portrayed wasn't too surprising from my standpoint (70's teen).

It's only an innocent commercial, How bad can it be? ??? How about other names for dolls and things such as:

Polly Pockets
Strawberry Shortcake
My Sister

Written By: wsmith4 on 09/20/18 at 7:06 am

It's only an innocent commercial, How bad can it be? ??? How about other names for dolls and things such as:

Polly Pockets
Strawberry Shortcake
My Sister

Preciousnames.  Thnks

Written By: andersenb11775 on 09/21/18 at 2:15 am

the outfit on the child actress is very "Vicki from Small Wonder" and seems to be sending a "this is a proper young lady who will be a mommy and not that scary uppity career woman thing". the long hair on also sends a message about proper length hair for proper young ladies.

Check for new replies or respond here...