inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Recently Made Movies about Disfunctional Suburban Families in the 1970s

Written By: AcoBrasil on 10/18/18 at 9:47 am

Not to be confused with movies made in the 1970s.

1. The ICE Storm.
2. Rain (2011 - New Zealand)
3. The Glass Castle

I saw one recently on Amazon Prime about a family with 2 alcoholic parents who hosted get togethers with another couple.  The mother was having an affair with the other husband.  Can't recall the name.

Subject: Re: Recently Made Movies about Disfunctional Suburban Families in the 1970s

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 10/18/18 at 10:13 am

Squid and the Whale was set in 1986 I think.

Subject: Re: Recently Made Movies about Disfunctional Suburban Families in the 1970s

Written By: AcoBrasil on 10/18/18 at 10:20 am

Good to know.  Not exactly suburbia either. Going to scratch that one.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/18/18 at 10:53 am

A new show "The Kids Are Alright" that takes place in 1972 debuted on ABC this week. Its about a family with 8 boys. I really wasn't very impressed. It's a blatant ripoff of "The Wonder Years", except that "The Wonder Years" took place in the 60s. It's also part "That 70s Show" and part "The Goldbergs". It seems very contrived, as if they want it to be a hit by incorporating elements  of all these other hit shows. There's really nothing very original about it. Too bad. A show taking place in 1972 has potential, but only if they get it right.

Written By: AcoBrasil on 10/18/18 at 11:29 am

Not to be confused with movies made in the 1970s.

1. The ICE Storm.
2. Rain (2011 - New Zealand)
3. The Glass Castle

I saw one recently on Amazon Prime about a family with 2 alcoholic parents who hosted get togethers with another couple.  The mother was having an affair with the other husband.  Can't recall the name.

The movie I couldn't remember is "The Playroom" - very 70s feel.

Also Lymelife

Written By: AcoBrasil on 10/18/18 at 11:34 am

The Fields (2011)

Written By: Mitch Kramer on 10/19/18 at 4:57 am

Beautiful Ohio (2006)

Lymelife (2008)  (It's supposed to be set in 1979, but the movie doesn't get the timeline correct.  It mentions the Falklands War, which wasn't until 1982.  If they wanted to create tension (concerning their military son possibly being deployed overseas), they could've easily chosen either the Iran Hostage Crisis or the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, both of which happened in '79/'80.)

20th Century Women (2016)

Check for new replies or respond here...