inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How long would you say 70s culture carried over into the 80s?

Written By: 1997days on 02/05/19 at 12:37 pm

Thanks for aswering :)

Subject: Re: How long would you say 70s culture carried over into the 80s?

Written By: 90s Guy on 03/08/19 at 7:10 pm

until around the beginning of 1984

Written By: cowboy on 03/08/19 at 7:23 pm

First half of 1982 maybe.
I think 1983 was the first fully 80's year.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/08/19 at 10:56 pm

until around the beginning of 1984

First half of 1982 maybe.
I think 1983 was the first fully 80's year.

^ I'm curious what you're basing these dates on.  Anyway, I was there.  The 80's came on with a bang - mostly because the late 70's were a little dark and people were ready to move on to something new.  I'd say the culture was fully 1980's by 1981.  Early 80's music may have sounded at times a bit more like late 70's than the rest of the decade - that's only natural.  But no one was looking back pining for the "good old" days of the 70's - certainly not in the early/mid 80's.

Written By: violet_shy on 03/19/19 at 3:54 pm

^ I'm curious what you're basing these dates on.  Anyway, I was there.  The 80's came on with a bang - mostly because the late 70's were a little dark and people were ready to move on to something new.  I'd say the culture was fully 1980's by 1981.  Early 80's music may have sounded at times a bit more like late 70's than the rest of the decade - that's only natural.  But no one was looking back pining for the "good old" days of the 70's - certainly not in the early/mid 80's.

I'm going to say 1981 as well. I remember my mom would play the radio around 1981 - 82. And the music was on point 80s, not 70s. I was only a year old or 2. I was blessed with good early memories.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/19/19 at 4:06 pm

If I've said it once, I've said it a million times. The 80s came on with a BANG in January 1981. Unequivocally.  That was IT. Two events utterly cemented this for good. The election of Ronald Reagan in September 1980 and the assassination of John Lennon on December 8, 1980. Everything in 1981 was 80s. the 70s were gone. it was palpable. If you were there, as I was, you could FEEL it. The pendulum suddenly swung so far to the right, politically, musically, culturally and everything else. Things that were once meaningful (like music) suddenly got shallow. Art was replaced by artifice. Many people embraced this. I myself however felt suddenly like a space alien flung into a new world that was not necessarily better than the old one by any means.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/19/19 at 5:13 pm

If I've said it once, I've said it a million times. The 80s came on with a BANG in January 1981. Unequivocally.  That was IT. Two events utterly cemented this for good. The election of Ronald Reagan in September 1980 and the assassination of John Lennon on December 8, 1980. Everything in 1981 was 80s. the 70s were gone. it was palpable. If you were there, as I was, you could FEEL it. The pendulum suddenly swung so far to the right, politically, musically, culturally and everything else. Things that were once meaningful (like music) suddenly got shallow. Art was replaced by artifice. Many people embraced this. I myself however felt suddenly like a space alien flung into a new world that was not necessarily better than the old one by any means.

As someone else who was there, I would also say it came on like a BANG! For me, the shift in culture coincided with my own "coming of age." I moved at the beginning of my senior year, then graduated high school, joined the military and moved to an different part of the country & got married-all within the first 2 years of the decade.

So as my life did a 180, it seemed that the music that I listened to (what many call "classic rock" today-Jethro Tull, Styx, Foreigner, Meatloaf, etc.) was being replaced by pop (Madonna, Michael Jackson, Billy Idol, Men At Work, etc).

Also, in 1983, MTV made its debut. Since very few U.S. groups had videos ready, groups from the U.K. did so there was a second British invasion (the first one was in the '60 with the Beatles, Stones, etc.). That really changed the culture.

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/19/19 at 8:06 pm

Also, in 1983, MTV made its debut. Since very few U.S. groups had videos ready, groups from the U.K. did so there was a second British invasion (the first one was in the '60 with the Beatles, Stones, etc.). That really changed the culture.

Cat

Just a slight correction, MTV actually made it's debut in 1981. August 1, 1981 to be exact. But this too proves the point of how the cultural 80s really came all in starting in 1981. And they famously showed "Video Killed The Radio Star" as their very first video ever.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/20/19 at 5:41 am

Just a slight correction, MTV actually made it's debut in 1981. August 1, 1981 to be exact. But this too proves the point of how the cultural 80s really came all in starting in 1981. And they famously showed "Video Killed The Radio Star" as their very first video ever.
It started with the second British Invasion, for it was British bands that would make pop promos to promote their songs.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/20/19 at 2:46 pm

The Google search I did said 1983-I thought that seemed a little late because I recall watching it in 1982. (I knew the year because of where I was living at the time and I recall watching it as I got ready for work.) And yeah, I knew that "Video Killed The Radio Star" was the first video they played. Also, it was Michael Nesmith of the Monkees fame who was the driving force behind it.

Thanks for the correction. It proves our point more.

Cat

Written By: cowboy on 03/21/19 at 3:07 am

It's weird they also played lots of videos by Split Enz in the first days on MTV, a now obscure band from New Zealand. So many Americans had the chance to discover obscure acts in 1981-1983.

Written By: metronomics on 03/21/19 at 1:42 pm

1982 & 1/2 - the release of "Summer Lovers".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer_Lovers

Check for new replies or respond here...