inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How long would you say 70s culture carried over into the 80s?

Written By: 1997days on 02/05/19 at 12:37 pm

Thanks for aswering :)

Subject: Re: How long would you say 70s culture carried over into the 80s?

Written By: 90s Guy on 03/08/19 at 7:10 pm

until around the beginning of 1984

Written By: cowboy on 03/08/19 at 7:23 pm

First half of 1982 maybe.
I think 1983 was the first fully 80's year.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/08/19 at 10:56 pm

until around the beginning of 1984

First half of 1982 maybe.
I think 1983 was the first fully 80's year.

^ I'm curious what you're basing these dates on.  Anyway, I was there.  The 80's came on with a bang - mostly because the late 70's were a little dark and people were ready to move on to something new.  I'd say the culture was fully 1980's by 1981.  Early 80's music may have sounded at times a bit more like late 70's than the rest of the decade - that's only natural.  But no one was looking back pining for the "good old" days of the 70's - certainly not in the early/mid 80's.

Written By: violet_shy on 03/19/19 at 3:54 pm

^ I'm curious what you're basing these dates on.  Anyway, I was there.  The 80's came on with a bang - mostly because the late 70's were a little dark and people were ready to move on to something new.  I'd say the culture was fully 1980's by 1981.  Early 80's music may have sounded at times a bit more like late 70's than the rest of the decade - that's only natural.  But no one was looking back pining for the "good old" days of the 70's - certainly not in the early/mid 80's.

I'm going to say 1981 as well. I remember my mom would play the radio around 1981 - 82. And the music was on point 80s, not 70s. I was only a year old or 2. I was blessed with good early memories.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/19/19 at 4:06 pm

If I've said it once, I've said it a million times. The 80s came on with a BANG in January 1981. Unequivocally.  That was IT. Two events utterly cemented this for good. The election of Ronald Reagan in September 1980 and the assassination of John Lennon on December 8, 1980. Everything in 1981 was 80s. the 70s were gone. it was palpable. If you were there, as I was, you could FEEL it. The pendulum suddenly swung so far to the right, politically, musically, culturally and everything else. Things that were once meaningful (like music) suddenly got shallow. Art was replaced by artifice. Many people embraced this. I myself however felt suddenly like a space alien flung into a new world that was not necessarily better than the old one by any means.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/19/19 at 5:13 pm

If I've said it once, I've said it a million times. The 80s came on with a BANG in January 1981. Unequivocally.  That was IT. Two events utterly cemented this for good. The election of Ronald Reagan in September 1980 and the assassination of John Lennon on December 8, 1980. Everything in 1981 was 80s. the 70s were gone. it was palpable. If you were there, as I was, you could FEEL it. The pendulum suddenly swung so far to the right, politically, musically, culturally and everything else. Things that were once meaningful (like music) suddenly got shallow. Art was replaced by artifice. Many people embraced this. I myself however felt suddenly like a space alien flung into a new world that was not necessarily better than the old one by any means.

As someone else who was there, I would also say it came on like a BANG! For me, the shift in culture coincided with my own "coming of age." I moved at the beginning of my senior year, then graduated high school, joined the military and moved to an different part of the country & got married-all within the first 2 years of the decade.

So as my life did a 180, it seemed that the music that I listened to (what many call "classic rock" today-Jethro Tull, Styx, Foreigner, Meatloaf, etc.) was being replaced by pop (Madonna, Michael Jackson, Billy Idol, Men At Work, etc).

Also, in 1983, MTV made its debut. Since very few U.S. groups had videos ready, groups from the U.K. did so there was a second British invasion (the first one was in the '60 with the Beatles, Stones, etc.). That really changed the culture.

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/19/19 at 8:06 pm

Also, in 1983, MTV made its debut. Since very few U.S. groups had videos ready, groups from the U.K. did so there was a second British invasion (the first one was in the '60 with the Beatles, Stones, etc.). That really changed the culture.

Cat

Just a slight correction, MTV actually made it's debut in 1981. August 1, 1981 to be exact. But this too proves the point of how the cultural 80s really came all in starting in 1981. And they famously showed "Video Killed The Radio Star" as their very first video ever.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/20/19 at 5:41 am

Just a slight correction, MTV actually made it's debut in 1981. August 1, 1981 to be exact. But this too proves the point of how the cultural 80s really came all in starting in 1981. And they famously showed "Video Killed The Radio Star" as their very first video ever.
It started with the second British Invasion, for it was British bands that would make pop promos to promote their songs.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/20/19 at 2:46 pm

The Google search I did said 1983-I thought that seemed a little late because I recall watching it in 1982. (I knew the year because of where I was living at the time and I recall watching it as I got ready for work.) And yeah, I knew that "Video Killed The Radio Star" was the first video they played. Also, it was Michael Nesmith of the Monkees fame who was the driving force behind it.

Thanks for the correction. It proves our point more.

Cat

Written By: cowboy on 03/21/19 at 3:07 am

It's weird they also played lots of videos by Split Enz in the first days on MTV, a now obscure band from New Zealand. So many Americans had the chance to discover obscure acts in 1981-1983.

Written By: metronomics on 03/21/19 at 1:42 pm

1982 & 1/2 - the release of "Summer Lovers".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer_Lovers

Written By: ChristopherA.Martin on 06/18/20 at 2:31 am

I'd say until late 1980-early 1981. The transition from the 70s to the 80s was noticeable and it happened very quickly. In fact, I don't think we've seen many cultural shifts that were as strong. As for the music aspect I remember the 1979-1981 period as its own mini-era, where music still had some of the late 70s disco flavor but the 80s sound was clearly making itself present and taking over. It was an interesting mix and one I certainly enjoyed when on the dancefloor. I've always thought that Disco music naturally evolved into a more electronic sound (Italo Disco, Hi-NRG).

Written By: 80sfan on 08/18/20 at 4:07 am

Honestly, up until 1985!  ;D

Some people had wavy hair all the way until 1984, or whatever. Perhaps, I am a weirdo, or whatever! Need more research!

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/18/20 at 8:35 am

I'd say until late 1980-early 1981. The transition from the 70s to the 80s was noticeable and it happened very quickly. In fact, I don't think we've seen many cultural shifts that were as strong. 

Correct! True, true, true.

Written By: robby76 on 08/24/20 at 7:50 am

My normal response is 1983. But seeing the responses, I thought I'd do a quick YouTube search and wow... 1981 seems right. Olivia Newton John's "Physical", the debut of Dynasty and the Smurfs and the launch of the DeLorean, Charles and Diana get married. None of that was remotely 70s.

o2F-N42Ufo4

Written By: whistledog on 08/24/20 at 3:33 pm

I'd say by mid-1981 was when the 80s started to become it's own thing.  A good chunk of songs that were hits in 1980, had been written and even recorded in 1979 or maybe even earlier

Written By: fusefan on 10/03/20 at 7:29 pm

This was a Billboard #1 hit in June 1981. Just putting that out there... I even own this album on 8-Track tape. 😂

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7skQvj-aBV8

Written By: Howard on 10/04/20 at 1:29 pm

This was a Billboard #1 hit in June 1981. Just putting that out there... I even own this album on 8-Track tape. 😂

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7skQvj-aBV8

I can't believe this song is 39 years old.  :o
Wow, I'm getting old!

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/05/20 at 9:07 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7skQvj-aBV
I had and still have the 12" version of this.

Written By: Contigo on 02/03/21 at 11:22 am

By the end of 1980, 70s culture was gone.
IMO the assassination of John Lennon  brought the end of 1970s
Culture. There were other things too but that was the main one.

Written By: Howard on 02/04/21 at 4:52 am

By the end of 1980, 70s culture was gone.
IMO the assassination of John Lennon  brought the end of 1970s
Culture. There were other things too but that was the main one.

Disco and Funk was gone so it brought in a new different sound.

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/04/21 at 11:33 am

I say 1983. Maybe depending on location. Trends like hair and clothes seemed to carry over for awhile. Music started sounding 80s but still had a 70s fuzz or haze to it. Lots of carryover TV shows.

I say 1984 finally had a full 80s feel to it.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/04/21 at 11:52 am

I say 1983. Maybe depending on location. Trends like hair and clothes seemed to carry over for awhile. Music started sounding 80s but still had a 70s fuzz or haze to it. Lots of carryover TV shows.

I generally tend to agree with what you say, but his time I must repost my post from earlier in this thread. Without question, the cultural 70s ended in 1981. Like BANG!

My earlier post:

Written By: robby76 on 02/04/21 at 9:03 pm

At school in 1983, we still had a male teacher wearing bellbottoms, platform shoes and long sideburns. So yeah, sometimes depends on the individual lol.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/04/21 at 9:43 pm

At school in 1983, we still had a male teacher wearing bellbottoms, platform shoes and long sideburns. So yeah, sometimes depends on the individual lol.

Yes, but that isn't the culture, that's a person. In any era there are people walking around in outdated fashion, whether on purpose, or simply because they are oblivious. Or sometimes because they are reluctant to let go, which sounds like it might have been your teacher's case. I myself did not want to let go of the 70s when I saw such a drastic and fast change and hung on as long as I could. But by 1983 even I wasn't wearing 70s fashions.

Written By: Howard on 02/05/21 at 8:00 am

In 1983?  ;D

Written By: Moonlighting on 02/24/21 at 4:55 pm

It depended on where you lived.
Change comes a lot slower in small towns than it does in cities.
The residue of the 70s was still around in pockets of my small town into the mid 80s.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/24/21 at 8:18 pm

It depended on where you lived.
Change comes a lot slower in small towns than it does in cities.
The residue of the 70s was still around in pockets of my small town into the mid 80s.

I have to question this. Once Reagan was in office the 70s were over. The pendulum swung and it swung definitely and it swung hard. Big city or small town. There was no 70s after 1981, let alone into the mid-80s. Your small town was out of step with the pervasive conservative political climate of the 80s? Somehow I find that questionable. You small town never heard of MTV or the music being played therein, even if they may not have had the cable to pick it up? Even if there was a person or two walking around with bell bottoms or 70s hair styles, a few unfashionable behind the times people do not a culture make.

Written By: Moonlighting on 02/24/21 at 8:40 pm

I have to question this. Once Reagan was in office the 70s were over. The pendulum swung and it swung definitely and it swung hard. Big city or small town. There was no 70s after 1981, let alone into the mid-80s. Your small town was out of step with the pervasive conservative political climate of the 80s? Somehow I find that questionable. You small town never heard of MTV or the music being played therein, even if they may not have had the cable to pick it up? Even if there was a person or two walking around with bell bottoms or 70s hair styles, a few unfashionable behind the times people do not a culture make.

This thread title poses a somewhat complex question because there are so many ways that the pervading mores of a decade can manifest itself. What is considered "70s" in the context of the question? I was a small child at the beginning of the '80s. I had no idea about politics, politicians, economics, musical styles, car styles, the implications of bell-bottoms vs skinny ties, etc.

However when I look back at my early life and think about the furniture, cars, hairstyles, clothing styles, music, and general zeitgeist that I experienced in the early 80s in my town, a lot of it was still very 70s influenced. Many of the women still wore 70s scents like Babe, Halston and musk oil instead of Giorgio or Poison, and the 70s scent Polo peaked among young guys around '85-'87. Many people still had '70s macrame plant hangers and rotary phones well into the '80s. A lot of the music on the radio was from the 70s and it was still considered contemporary - not dated. The decor in a lot of homes was still straight out of the '70s, not modern 80s stuff.

These are the types of things I'm talking about when I speak of the residue of the '70s.

In my own household, we were very modern and '80s, although my dad's shaggy hair and some 70s clothes hung around well into the mid-80s. We had a microwave in 82...a VCR by 1984....had digital bedside clocks as far back as I can remember. But when decades change, styles don't switch instantaneously. There is bleed-through with regard to clothing, music, decor, attitudes, etc. It doesn't happen overnight.

Now...please write a five page essay comparing and contrasting "Saturday Night Fever" vs. "Staying Alive."  ;)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/24/21 at 9:06 pm

This thread title poses a somewhat complex question because there are so many ways that the pervading mores of a decade can manifest itself. What is considered "70s" in the context of the question? I was a small child at the beginning of the '80s. I had no idea about politics, politicians, economics, musical styles, car styles, the implications of bell-bottoms vs skinny ties, etc.

However when I look back at my early life and think about the furniture, cars, hairstyles, clothing styles, music, and general zeitgeist that I experienced in the early 80s in my town, a lot of it was still very 70s influenced. Many of the women still wore scents like Babe and musk oil instead of Giorgio or Poison, and had '70s macrame plant hangers. A lot of the music on the radio was from the 70s and it was still considered contemporary - not dated. The decor in a lot of homes was still straight out of the '70s, not modern 80s stuff.

These are the types of things I'm talking about when I speak of the residue of the '70s.

In my own household, we were very modern and '80s, although my dad's shaggy hair and some 70s clothes hung around well into the mid-80s. We had a microwave in 82...a VCR by 1984....had digital bedside clocks as far back as I can remember. But when decades change, styles don't switch instantaneously. There is bleed-through with regard to clothing, music, decor, attitudes, etc. It doesn't happen overnight.

Now...please write a five page essay comparing and contrasting "Saturday Night Fever" vs. "Staying Alive."  ;)

I like that you used this word "residue", because that's an accurate description. Leftover stuff. And "residue" isn't culture. Of course people don't run out and buy new furniture, etc the minute the decade changes.  But, until 2020 and the virus,  no decade changed faster or more definitely than the 70s turned to the 80s at the end of 1980 with the assassination  of John Lennon and the election of Ronald Reagan. And those two events didn't CAUSE it specifically,  but they were the figureheads. The harbinger. They were the marker.  The country and the world were ready for the change (which is what made Reagan so effective), even if I wasn't.  After living through he spiritually searching 60s and 70s I felt like a space alien dropped onto Earth in the materialistic 80s.

And, no you won't be getting any "Saturday Night Fever" essay out of ME. It's widely known in these parts that I DETEST disco.  ;D ;D

Written By: Moonlighting on 02/24/21 at 9:14 pm

I like that you used this word "residue", because that's an accurate description. Leftover stuff. And "residue" isn't culture. Of course people don't run out and buy new furniture, etc the minute the decade changes.  But, until 2020 and the virus,  no decade changed faster or more definitely than the 70s turned to the 80s at the end of 1980 with the assassination  of John Lennon and the election of Ronald Reagan. And those two events didn't CAUSE it specifically,  but they were the figureheads. The harbinger. They were the marker.  The country and the world were ready for the change (which is what made Reagan so effective), even if I wasn't.  After living through he spiritually searching 60s and 70s I felt like a space alien dropped onto Earth in the materialistic 80s.

And, no you won't be getting any "Saturday Night Fever" essay out of ME. It's widely known in these parts that I DETEST disco.  ;D ;D

I absolutely agree that the 80s were completely different than the 70s...not only in terms of music and styles, but in consumerist attitudes brought about by new technologies and gadgets like PCs, video cameras, VCRs, walkmans, microwaves, etc. coming mainly  from Japanese companies.

I'm only arguing that this change did not happen to everyone instantaneously. It happened to varying degrees throughout the 80s, and everyone knows change is embraced more slowly in small towns and rural places. In places like that, old ways tend to persist longer than in more "hip" and fast-paced metropolitan areas.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/24/21 at 9:30 pm

I absolutely agree that the 80s were completely different than the 70s...not only in terms of music and styles, but in consumerist attitudes brought about by new technologies and gadgets. I'm only arguing that this change did not happen to everyone instantaneously. It happened to varying degrees throughout the 80s, and everyone knows change is embraced more slowly in small towns and rural places. In places like that, old ways tend to persist longer than in more "hip" and fast-paced metropolitan areas.

I know what you're saying. Something like, if I walked into a hair salon or barber shop in your small town in 1983 the conversation, the décor, the hair styles even, might seem stuck squarely in the 70s. Probably not the politics though, which were probably already stuck squarely in the 50s. (That political part is just an assumption on my part, I could be wrong). But these pockets of people do not make a culture, and national TV was still showing what national TV was showing in 1983, and the hit songs of the 80s were the hit songs, regardless of whether your town was ignoring them. If someone from New York came to your town in 1983 they might say, judging from your description, "how backwards these people are". But if someone from your town went to New York in 1983, they'd say "boy, those people are so up to date on everything!".  See the difference?  The culture marches on regardless. Even if your experience of it was more limited than some, and in my case whether I wanted it to or not.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/24/21 at 9:37 pm

I absolutely agree that the 80s were completely different than the 70s...not only in terms of music and styles, but in consumerist attitudes brought about by new technologies and gadgets. I'm only arguing that this change did not happen to everyone instantaneously. It happened to varying degrees throughout the 80s, and everyone knows change is embraced more slowly in small towns and rural places. In places like that, old ways tend to persist longer than in more "hip" and fast-paced metropolitan areas.

I'll weigh in on the fashion angle.  (I considered myself more or less an urbanite then, although I've lived in a small town and currently a suburbanite.)  On January 1 1980 (or subsequently), I did not open my closet, say "it's the 1980s now" and throw away all of my clothes!  Nor did the vast majority of people.  Thus as expected, people continued to wear their 1970s clothes in the early 1980s.  Until these clothes were replaced.  So, how fast people's wardrobes changed was a function of how fast their wardrobes turned over.  On the other hand, when I went shopping in 1980 (which I did often) I was seeking out new and fresh 1980's styles, not 1970's styles (which may have been cheaper by then).  So although what is observed in people changes gradually, their tastes and desires can change much more quickly.  Such was the case with 1980's women's fashion - it was a big departure from 1970's styles (in this case I'll say thankfully).

Written By: Moonlighting on 02/24/21 at 9:50 pm

I'll weigh in on the fashion angle.  (I considered myself more or less an urbanite then, although I've lived in a small town and currently a suburbanite.)  On January 1 1980 (or subsequently), I did not open my closet, say "it's the 1980s now" and throw away all of my clothes!  Nor did the vast majority of people.  Thus as expected, people continued to wear their 1970s clothes in the early 1980s.  Until these clothes were replaced.  So, how fast people's wardrobes changed was a function of how fast their wardrobes turned over.  On the other hand, when I went shopping in 1980 (which I did often) I was seeking out new and fresh 1980's styles, not 1970's styles (which may have been cheaper by then).  So although what is observed in people changes gradually, their tastes and desires can change much more quickly.  Such was the case with 1980's women's fashion - it was a big departure from 1970's styles (in this case I'll say thankfully).

I think the change in clothing styles depend a lot on age (younger people tend to be very trend-conscious) and wealth (wealthier people have the resources to update their clothes/decor and have disposable income to buy "things").

You know, I had a co-worker in 2009 who still had feathered hair exactly like it was the late 70s or early 80s. It was so bizarre. She was born in 1969, and it was almost like she was in a time warp of her junior high years. lol

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/24/21 at 10:39 pm

I think the change in clothing styles depend a lot on age (younger people tend to be very trend-conscious) and wealth (wealthier people have the resources to update their clothes/decor and have disposable income to buy "things").

You know, I had a co-worker in 2009 who still had feathered hair exactly like it was the late 70s or early 80s. It was so bizarre. She was born in 1969, and it was almost like she was in a time warp of her junior high years. lol

Yes.  I'll caveat my previous statement to say, I was 20 and employed during 1980 - not "wealthy" by any stretch, but had a little pocket money.  (I'll add that around that time, apparel was typically a much larger chunk of one's day-to-day expenditures than it is today.)  Plus, I had become very good at home sewing by that time, which helped me have the desired wardrobe then for less monetary output.  So I obtained a pretty 80's wardrobe quickly.  Nonetheless I still had "70's" clothes that were favorites of mine, and I wore those well into the decade.  Not because they were 70's, but because I loved them.

On the hair styles, I'll make an admission - once I found a hairstyle I really loved, it took forever for me to totally dump it, albeit I slightly modified it over the years.  I "get it" (even if I looked behind the times in that aspect at certain times, it was "me").

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/01/21 at 11:22 am

With all the talk about Woody Allen lately, due to the new HBO documentary about his alleged impropriaties with his daughter, (which he was cleared of, by the way) I came across this article today. Though ostensibly about Allen and his movies, parts of this piece PERFECTLY state what I (and some others here) have been saying about the end of the 70s and the beginning of the 80s for ages now. The author of this piece is a woman and identifies as Generation X, yet she eloquently writes of identifying with Allen's 1977 movie "Annie Hall" and the title character played by Diane Keaton.

The State of the Race: Woody Allen and the Changing of the Guard
https://www.awardsdaily.com/2021/02/17/the-state-of-the-race-woody-allen-and-the-changing-of-the-guard/

Here are the pertinent parts. Oh BOY are they pertinent:

"It was the 1980s. I had no business identifying with an icon from the 1970s but we didn’t really have icons on cinema in the 1980s. We had Body Snatcher versions of them. We had genre movies and their genre heroes. We had Linda Hamilton and Melanie Griffith. We had Glenn Close. We had Meryl Streep. We had Jodie Foster. We had bad haircuts, bad clothes, bad techno, bad cars, bad architecture – was there anything good about the 80s? I mean, seriously, what the hell was that? (Of course musicians are always the least likely artists to conform, so we can thank the ’80’s for U2, Depeche Mode, New Order, The Cure, R.E.M, Pet Shop Boys, The Smiths, The Police, Eurythmics, and Prince.)

The 1970s was the last gasp of individualism – a counter culture movement on the decline after exploding like a far away star in the 1960s but the only thing that mattered was breaking the mold, emerging as uniquely defined. Women’s Lib had coughed them up, these female icons that would never be matched in any decade to follow, not like then. Black Power, free love, braless women with their nipples poking through their silk blends – frizzy, untamed hair, a ubiquitous cigarette somehow the symbol of feminism – every bit the women of the Steinem era that refused to sacrifice sexuality for feminism all played into the women on screen in the 1970s, and not all of them white. 2021 would want them all to be white, to place them in a cage of shame – the white supremacy raging unchecked. But it wasn’t quite like that, though it was almost like that.

The 1980s ended most of what lived free in the 1970s. Gone were the hippies, free love and the counter culture – in was the 'yuppy' and greed was good. It was corporate busy bees, not quite so into individualism anymore because what did that get us? Living in vans with no life savings to speak of? Old sad hippies no one paid any attention to? We had one homeless guy in Ojai, California where I grew up. We called him Harv. The legend went that he got hooked on smack and took too much acid one day and never shook himself out of the trip. That was what was left of the 1970s in Ojai in the 1980s."

Written By: BornIn86 on 03/16/21 at 5:45 pm

25GjijODWoI

Written By: whistledog on 03/21/21 at 12:19 am

In 1983?  ;D

In 1987, I was in Grade 5 and my teacher used to make us gather in a circle while he sang 70s songs with his acoustic guitar

Written By: Moonlighting on 03/23/21 at 9:52 pm

In 1987, I was in Grade 5 and my teacher used to make us gather in a circle while he sang 70s songs with his acoustic guitar

We're about the same age and when I was in first grade (1983), my teacher would put the record on and have us stand up often in class and sing "This Land is Your Land." The whole thing had a very "kumbaya," 60s/70s feel to it.

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/06/21 at 2:11 pm

All due respect but you seem to be insistent on pushing your subjective experience on others as the gospel IE "Music became artificial", that is an opinion. "Once Reagan came in office, the 70s were over" that is also a subjective observation which is heavily based in your sense of political bias given that the political spectrum was pushing rightward since 1968 with the exception of a brief flirtation with leftist economic policies by Nixon.

https://i.redd.it/mu3vrgdnxrjz.jpg
https://www.whitepigeonlibrary.org/uploads/6/7/1/7/6717345/0002_29_orig.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/7PiIyS1c8o-VVw1ARopAP0u5A73ljP1bWI5e0XjUMr_ydT9Yzvadre_8wDonuFA8vxbUmV_Tl837sO4zVyfjSNGYvA

1982 HS photos. Would say they'd fit in more easily with a 1978 class than a 1988 class, aesthetically.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/07/21 at 11:30 am

All due respect but you seem to be insistent on pushing your subjective experience on others as the gospel IE "Music became artificial", that is an opinion. "Once Reagan came in office, the 70s were over" that is also a subjective observation which is heavily based in your sense of political bias given that the political spectrum was pushing rightward since 1968 with the exception of a brief flirtation with leftist economic policies by Nixon.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/7PiIyS1c8o-VVw1ARopAP0u5A73ljP1bWI5e0XjUMr_ydT9Yzvadre_8wDonuFA8vxbUmV_Tl837sO4zVyfjSNGYvA

1982 HS photos. Would say they'd fit in more easily with a 1978 class than a 1988 class, aesthetically.
Photos so wonderful, not a mobile phone in sight!

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/07/21 at 11:33 am

No baseball caps either. And the obesity epidemic which started in the 90s had not yet taken hold.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/07/21 at 11:38 am

btw, one of your images is missing.

Written By: Howard on 05/07/21 at 2:13 pm

And no one texting too.

Written By: Howard on 05/07/21 at 2:14 pm

No baseball caps either. And the obesity epidemic which started in the 90s had not yet taken hold.

People in the photo looked so skinny.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/07/21 at 2:23 pm

Why do you always seem to act like you know all about the '70s? Were you even there? There are some of us who were actually there and we do remember. Yes, once Reagan came into office, the '70s were indeed over! I was a senior when Reagan was elected. And you COULD feel the difference. Just because people had the same clothing they had before the decade began, doesn't mean anything. Hell, I STILL have clothes that I wore in the '70s/'80s. Of course I can't quite fit into them anymore but I still have them. And most of them are NOT out of style because I mostly wore jeans and a tee shirt-which are still in "fashion."

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/07/21 at 2:45 pm

Why do you always seem to act like you know all about the '70s? Were you even there? There are some of us who were actually there and we do remember. Yes, once Reagan came into office, the '70s were indeed over! I was a senior when Reagan was elected. And you COULD feel the difference. Just because people had the same clothing they had before the decade began, doesn't mean anything. Hell, I STILL have clothes that I wore in the '70s/'80s. Of course I can't quite fit into them anymore but I still have them. And most of them are NOT out of style because I mostly wore jeans and a tee shirt-which are still in "fashion."

Cat

One item of clothing that vanished ON THE DOT as the 80s came was bell bottoms. I remember this because it was a bit traumatic for me, given that I liked bell bottoms and the way they looked on me in my youthful era. To people who weren't there, I'm not sure if they realize how ALL PERASIVE bell bottoms were throughout the entire 70s. Starting in 77-ish the punk scene did away with them, and, as I went to punk clubs in the late 70s, I couldn't wear bell bottoms there or risk being laughed at mercilessly. But that was underground. All mainstream people were still wearing them. But then it suddenly stopped dead. certainly by 1981. People were suddenly embarrassed to wear them in the new feeling that was going on.

Oh, I know people will drag up photos or talk about how they had a teacher or a cousin or somebody who was still wearing bell bottoms in 1984 and who sat around campfires singing Kumbaya, blah, blah blah.  But there are always these leftover people or pockets of people oblivious to what is going on, or, in fact, people who just liked to wear them and didn't care what was going on. But believe me, bell bottoms had gone out of the mainstream by 1980.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/07/21 at 3:16 pm

We're about the same age and when I was in first grade (1983), my teacher would put the record on and have us stand up often in class and sing "This Land is Your Land." The whole thing had a very "kumbaya," 60s/70s feel to it.

Did you only sing the usual benign two verses of "This Land is Your Land" or did you sing all the "radical" verses, too?

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/07/21 at 3:31 pm

One item of clothing that vanished ON THE DOT as the 80s came was bell bottoms. I remember this because it was a bit traumatic for me, given that I liked bell bottoms and the way they looked on me in my youthful era. To people who weren't there, I'm not sure if they realize how ALL PERASIVE bell bottoms were throughout the entire 70s. Starting in 77-ish the punk scene did away with them, and, as I went to punk clubs in the late 70s, I couldn't wear bell bottoms there or risk being laughed at mercilessly. But that was underground. All mainstream people were still wearing them. But then it suddenly stopped dead. certainly by 1981. People were suddenly embarrassed to wear them in the new feeling that was going on.

Oh, I know people will drag up photos or talk about how they had a teacher or a cousin or somebody who was still wearing bell bottoms in 1984 and who sat around campfires singing Kumbaya, blah, blah blah.  But there are always these leftover people or pockets of people oblivious to what is going on, or, in fact, people who just liked to wear them and didn't care what was going on. But believe me, bell bottoms had gone out of the mainstream by 1980.

For women, bellbottoms seemed to go out of fashion by around 1978-ish, although people of course still had them in their closets.  Chinos became popular around 1978/1979 - straight or mildly baggy legs, not bellbottoms.  Platform shoes were no longer popular either.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/07/21 at 3:35 pm

For women, bellbottoms seemed to go out of fashion by around 1978-ish, although people of course still had them in their closets.  Chinos became popular around 1978/1979 - straight or mildly baggy legs, not bellbottoms.  Platform shoes were no longer popular either.

Was that the time when platform shoes were replaced by jelly shoes?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/07/21 at 3:35 pm

Was that the time when platform shoes were replaced by jelly shoes?

Absolutely!!!  :D  ;D  :D

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/07/21 at 3:52 pm

Cat

Because to your regular, non-political person I doubt Reagan's election was that life changing. I also don't think people stopped going to Discos overnight in July 1979 because of Disco Demolition night. I don't think they started cutting their hair differently and uniformly on January 21st, 1981. And individual subjective experience in say, one area of the country, doesn't translate to another's experience elsewhere. No one is the infallible expert when it comes to the past because there is the subjective past, and the objective past, and both tend to blur. NO ONE has a singular claim on the past. It is colored by memory, nostalgia..and bias. Just as it would be for me and anyone else.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/07/21 at 4:14 pm

Because to your regular, non-political person I doubt Reagan's election was that life changing. 

Wanna bet???

I also don't think people stopped going to Discos overnight in July 1979 because of Disco Demolition night.

The so-called "disco demolition night" was a meaningless publicity stunt by a radio station. It had nothing to do with anything. It is ONLY remembered because of the riot the explosion caused and the forfeit of the second baseball game. No one expected it to change history, nor could it have. I have noticed here and elsewhere that the ONLY people who ever bring up "disco demolition night" EVER, are people who were not around in the 70s. It's just one of those things. To people who were around in the 70s it was meaningless. I never even heard of it back then.

I don't think they started cutting their hair differently and uniformly on January 21st, 1981

Absolutely doesn't matter. You are being quantitative and not qualitative, another sign that you weren't there. As at least three of us who were there have told you, the FEEL was completely different. Completely.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/07/21 at 4:30 pm

Because to your regular, non-political person I doubt Reagan's election was that life changing. I also don't think people stopped going to Discos overnight in July 1979 because of Disco Demolition night. I don't think they started cutting their hair differently and uniformly on January 21st, 1981. And individual subjective experience in say, one area of the country, doesn't translate to another's experience elsewhere. No one is the infallible expert when it comes to the past because there is the subjective past, and the objective past, and both tend to blur. NO ONE has a singular claim on the past. It is colored by memory, nostalgia..and bias. Just as it would be for me and anyone else.

I was NOT political then. I do remember that day-NOT because of inauguration. I was in school that day. For lunch, I went to a local place where I went for lunch frequently. They had the t.v. on watching the inauguration and I could care less. I didn't want to watch THAT! I pretty much ignored it while everyone else was fixated on it. I remember thinking that I probably SHOULD watch it but it really didn't interest me so I didn't.

What I do remember when I went back for the afternoon classes, I think we were taking a test because the room was fairly quiet when there was an announcement over the loudspeaker that the Iranian hostages were airborne. The entire school erupted in cheers. I could hear a couple of people in the hall outside the classroom cheering, too.

I remember that evening hearing that they had landed at Wiesbaden, Germany. It was the end of a 444 day siege. So yeah, things really did change on that day-not just because we had a new president. 

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/07/21 at 4:36 pm

Because to your regular, non-political person I doubt Reagan's election was that life changing.

I was working for the government at that time.  Reagan changed a lot, like him or not, as he arrived changing things right away.  The first thing he did is immediately change our retirement deal - in retrospect I'm happy with the change but at the time I was livid.  There was all the stuff with the airlines.  And his anti-poverty approach was radical.  Plus getting the hostages from Iran was a big deal.  Oh yeah, he was remaking the U.S. (if not the world) in his image, for better or worse.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/07/21 at 4:43 pm

I was working for the government at that time.  Reagan changed a lot, like him or not, as he arrived changing things right away.  The first thing he did is immediately change our retirement deal - in retrospect I'm happy with the change but at the time I was livid.  There was all the stuff with the airlines.  And his anti-poverty approach was radical.  Plus getting the hostages from Iran was a big deal.  Oh yeah, he was remaking the U.S. (if not the world) in his image, for better or worse.

I worked for the government the following year-joining the USAF.

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/07/21 at 5:15 pm

I worked for the government the following year-joining the USAF.

Cat

I was in an "office-type" government job.  Earlier I had mulled trying to stay there - it wasn't horrible - but Reagan and his anti-govt-worker policies helped me decide that my future probably wasn't there.  So I went back to college part-time in 1981 as I continued working at the agency part time.  That arrangement worked okay for a little while.

The "going back to college" part actually worked out grandly for me, as I got serious this time, landed a "co-op" hyper-internship which I'd been dreaming of, and was able to finish my engineering coursework over time.  The co-op was invaluable because although it extended the time period of college I got usable work experience, got paid, and made connections that led me to my full-time position after college.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/07/21 at 5:38 pm

I was working for the government at that time.  Reagan changed a lot, like him or not, as he arrived changing things right away.  The first thing he did is immediately change our retirement deal - in retrospect I'm happy with the change but at the time I was livid.  There was all the stuff with the airlines. And his anti-poverty approach was radical.  Plus getting the hostages from Iran was a big deal.  Oh yeah, he was remaking the U.S. (if not the world) in his image, for better or worse.

We're STILL living with the consequences of all that airline deregulation. For that alone I don't know how anybody can say "nothing was changed by Reagan if you were the average nonpolitical person". There was a time air travel used to be cool. Now it's like the ninth circle of hell.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/07/21 at 6:02 pm

We're STILL living with the consequences of all that airline deregulation. For that alone I don't know how anybody can say "nothing was changed by Reagan if you were the average nonpolitical person". There was a time air travel used to be cool. Now it's like the ninth circle of hell.

Not only are we still living with the consequences with the airlines, we are still living with the ghost of Reaganomics (AKA trickle down)-which has failed this country. Even Clinton & Obama paid into Reaganomics. I have been reading articles which have been saying that Biden isn't FDR (like some have been saying), he is anti-Reagan.

Under Reagan, jobs were being sent overseas, the deficient was outrageous, the military budget exploded, the rich got richer while the poor got poorer. ("Greed is good.") Shrink the government (except the military and corporate welfare). Screw the little guy. It has been the race to the bottom. People working longer hours for less.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 05/08/21 at 8:02 am

Didn't Jordache jeans start around 1980?

Written By: greystone08 on 01/19/23 at 1:54 pm

Late 1980 would be evident when most (not all) 70s culture was gone.

Check for new replies or respond here...