inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who was the Bieber of the 70s?

Written By: cowboy on 03/08/19 at 6:43 am

I remember discovering some 70s songs around 2008-2011 that I digged. One of them was this one. Was Shaun Cassidy as big as Bieber, like the Bieber of the 70s? Or was that his brother David? Or maybe Leif Garrett?
HilzQ7paTEk

Subject: Re: Who was the Bieber of the 70s?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/08/19 at 7:27 am

I would say any member of the American family music group The Osmonds.

Written By: d90 on 03/22/19 at 11:41 am

Leif Garrett
Heintje Simons was most popular in the Germans speaking countries.  He enjoyed success with English songs, notable of which is "I'm Your Little Boy". In 1971, The Los Angeles Times described him as, "the hottest property in Europe." The same article quoted the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung as saying of him, "No one is bigger in German show business."

Written By: cowboy on 03/22/19 at 12:13 pm

Thank you! Man, what timing! I was just listening to this song in my OP today. I think Leif really was bigger than Shaun. Shaun, however, seems like a better role model for me, less smug than Leif. And I like his taste for cars (a Mercedes, see my post in my 70s cars thread). I like that you also mentioned the German artist. Germany's pop culture scene is one of those I've always found interesting. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/22/19 at 12:27 pm

I couldn't stand Leif, Shaun, or Donny. (I wasn't that big on David, either.) But, I have to say, my opinion of Donny has improved over the years. I thought he did an OUTSTANDING job in Joseph & The Technicolor Dreamcoat (not to mention he was really buff in the movie, too. YUM!)

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/22/19 at 12:59 pm

Unequivocally, without question, Donny Osmond was the "Bieber" of the 70s as far as being the biggest teen idol goes.  And his career, even during the full fledged teen idol years, also lasted longer than other teen idols, not even counting his later post-teen idol career.  As far as vocal chops go, Donny can sing rings around Bieber. Dance rings around him too. And there was no autotune in the 70s. You actually had to be able to SING.

Written By: Howard on 03/23/19 at 1:36 pm

Unequivocally, without question, Donny Osmond was the "Bieber" of the 70s as far as being the biggest teen idol goes.  And his career, even during the full fledged teen idol years, also lasted longer than other teen idols, not even counting his later post-teen idol career.  As far as vocal chops go, Donny can sing rings around Bieber. Dance rings around him too. And there was no autotune in the 70s. You actually had to be able to SING.

Plus Him and his sister Marie had their own variety show In The 1970's and Donny continued to be a sucesss during the middle part of the 1980's.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/14/20 at 7:25 pm

I'm surprised Andy Gibb wasn't mentioned.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/15/20 at 2:31 am

I'm surprised Andy Gibb wasn't mentioned.
Andy Gibb was already in his twenties when the 1970s started, where JB started his career as a teenager.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/15/20 at 10:54 am

Andy Gibb was already in his twenties when the 1970s started, where JB started his career as a teenager.

Not entirely accurate. Andy Gibb was born in 1958, making him 12 when the 70s started. You may possibly mean he was in his 20s when his fame got into full swing. He was 19 in 1977 when his fame first took off with "I Just want To Be Your Everything" and "(Love Is) Thicker Than Water"

Written By: Howard on 05/15/20 at 1:39 pm

Not entirely accurate. Andy Gibb was born in 1958, making him 12 when the 70s started. You may possibly mean he was in his 20s when his fame got into full swing. He was 19 in 1977 when his fame first took off with "I Just want To Be Your Everything" and "(Love Is) Thicker Than Water"

I wouldn't call Andy Gibb The Bieber Of The 70's, Andy was married to Kim Reeder in 1976-1978 and was divorced in '78, had a girl named Peta who's now 42 years of age.

Written By: whistledog on 05/28/20 at 8:21 pm

I don't think there was really a Bieber of the 70s.  There were a lot of younger singers who were immensely popular with the young ladies, but I would say the closest would be Tony DeFranco.  Like Bieber, he is Canadian, and also an early teenager when he started.  Heartbeat - It's a lovebeat went to US #3 in 1973 and suddenly, Tony was a teen idol

I3Iw2qYtN8A

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/28/20 at 11:56 pm

IMO the 70's didn't have a Bieber equivalent, for good reason.  Stiff competition.  Of the various teen idols of the 70's, even those with the most staying power, not one of them stood alone at any time the way Bieber did.  No one had that kind of monopoly.  Teen idol magazines always had a number of faces on the cover.  And that's not a bad thing.  8)

Written By: Moonlighting on 02/24/21 at 4:58 pm

Donny Osmond. His face even resembled Justin Bieber except his hair was super dark.

Written By: Contigo on 03/12/21 at 6:19 pm

Definitely Donny Osmond.  Although Donny and Bieber have very different backgrounds and personalities.

Check for new replies or respond here...