inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Beta or UHS? Get the facts in 1976

Written By: Dude111 on 02/17/20 at 4:38 am

http://i.snipboard.io/dKPXOB.jpg

Ah man..... I would love playing one and see how it looked and all :)

Subject: Re: Beta or UHS? Get the facts in 1976

Written By: whistledog on 02/17/20 at 12:33 pm

I am sure I speak for many when I ask "what the hell was UHS"? lol
I remember the Beta/VHS war.  To this day, I thought Beta was better because of the compact size of the tapes, but the reason Sony/Beta lost the war was simply because of that.  VHS tapes had bigger storage, so recording shows was more appealing due to longer length of recording times

Written By: Howard on 02/17/20 at 3:06 pm

http://i.snipboard.io/dKPXOB.jpg

Ah man..... I would love playing one and see how it looked and all :)

Should I call the toll free number?  ;D

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/18/20 at 5:39 am

First time I've ever seen JVC's format with a "U" instead of a "V". Must have been a "Beta" for the VHS. But people often forget that when the formats first came out, there was no LP/EP/SLP mode and the maximum recording time was an hour for Beta and two hours for VHS. The gap lessened soon enough, but in addition to recording length, the fact that it was hard to see how much tape was remaining on a Beta with only one side of the tape exposed didn't help. I do find it easier though to "fix" tape that gets lost on a Beta compared to a VHS.

Should I call the toll free number?  ;D

"(3 ascending error beeps) The toll free number you have dialed has been disconnected. No further information is available about this number. 074T"

Written By: Dude111 on 02/18/20 at 6:20 am

It would be interesting if the numba went somewhere!!

Written By: Howard on 02/18/20 at 7:08 am

First time I've ever seen JVC's format with a "U" instead of a "V". Must have been a "Beta" for the VHS. But people often forget that when the formats first came out, there was no LP/EP/SLP mode and the maximum recording time was an hour for Beta and two hours for VHS. The gap lessened soon enough, but in addition to recording length, the fact that it was hard to see how much tape was remaining on a Beta with only one side of the tape exposed didn't help. I do find it easier though to "fix" tape that gets lost on a Beta compared to a VHS.

"(3 ascending error beeps) The toll free number you have dialed has been disconnected. No further information is available about this number. 074T"

I just tried to call the number before how'd you know it was disconnected? ;D

Written By: Dude111 on 04/27/20 at 7:52 pm

It would be neat if it went somewhere :)

Written By: wagonman76 on 04/27/20 at 8:30 pm

We never had a beta but I knew people with hundreds of beta tapes. Beta was supposedly better quality, so I wonder if vhs won because the technology was cheaper and easier to duplicate. Kinda like the IBM compatible vs Mac wars. IBM compatible was cheaper and more universal, but the people who chose macs really loved them.

I had an experience of an out of date phone number once. It was in the mid 2000s and at work we were trying to contact the company of 1990 software we had to see if they had updates. I called the number and heard something like “hey sexy guy, wanna have some fun tonight?” I’m like oh crap (well a different word) considering they track our calls. So we considered it abandonware. We still use it just like we did with the license we bought in 1990. But I have to run it through Dosbox so windows 7 and up will run it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/28/20 at 5:45 am

It was machines like that I remember from the 1970s, but I cannot precisely remember where.

Written By: Howard on 04/28/20 at 7:18 am

It would be neat if it went somewhere :)

What was the phone number about?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/28/20 at 7:24 am

Should there be a zero at the front of the phone number?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/28/20 at 10:44 am

It was machines like that I remember from the 1970s, but I cannot precisely remember where.
I do remember now, were I worked at the time, it was used to shown what was on the video tape to audiences or at conferences.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/28/20 at 10:55 am

My educated guess is one would call the number and get a recorded message, essentially a commercial for one or the other of those two styles of devices. It's very crafty in that it makes it look more like it's a "consumer reports" type of impartial thing, but I guarantee you it was a commercial for one of them. And the main purpose of the call seems to be to get the "consumer guide"  sent to you. Which again, was likely highly slanted to one or the other of these devices.

The US does not use a zero prefix for domestic calls. Nowadays there would be a "1" required before the 800, but I can't recall if that was the case back in 1976.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/28/20 at 11:04 am

The US does not use a zero prefix for domestic calls. Nowadays there would be a "1" required before the 800, but I can't recall if that was the case back in 1976.
The reason I asked, for there is a zero at the start of the phone number in the UK.

As for phone numbers in the 1970s, I cannot remember too.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/28/20 at 1:44 pm

My dad had a beta machine that I sold on Craigslist after he passed away. They are somewhat of a hot commodity these days.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 04/28/20 at 1:47 pm

I think you mean a 1 at the beginning of the phone number.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/28/20 at 1:49 pm

I think you mean a 1 at the beginning of the phone number.

The reason I asked, for there is a zero at the start of the phone number in the UK.

Written By: Howard on 04/28/20 at 1:51 pm

My dad had a beta machine that I sold on Craigslist after he passed away. They are somewhat of a hot commodity these days.

Cat

I can remember when our family had a 8-Track player.

Written By: Dude111 on 05/12/20 at 8:25 pm

I love 8 track players :)

Written By: Howard on 05/14/20 at 7:52 am

I love 8 track players :)

How much are 8-Tracks these days? They must be pretty cheap.  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/14/20 at 7:54 am

How much are 8-Tracks these days? They must be pretty cheap.  ???
Pretty rare I should say?

Written By: Howard on 05/14/20 at 2:50 pm

Pretty rare I should say?

Between 1 and 10 dollars.

Written By: Dude111 on 05/20/20 at 12:10 am

Yea around that price........

Written By: yelimsexa on 05/21/20 at 8:56 am

Demand of course is the most common factor, with supply a secondary issue. Roughly speaking in terms of value by genre:

Easy listening<Classical<Showtunes<Pop<Country<Soft Rock<R&B/Soul<Arena Rock<Funk<Hard Rock<Punk

Of course demand by artist within a genre will also show. Queen or KISS will generally sell better than Kansas or Boston for instance.

This covers the late 1960s through early 1980s period. 8-tracks produced in the mid-to late '80s are worth quite a buck or two, since they were no longer distributed for major retailers and mostly just for record membership clubs. Finally, quadraphonic tapes are generally worth a bit of a premium compared to stereo versions.

Check for new replies or respond here...