inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Collectible 70s toys?

Written By: thatretroman53 on 03/01/20 at 11:20 pm

Hi everyone! I am an avid toy collector and since this is one of my hobbies, I've been digging deep into more retro/vintage territory. Since my grandparents are still alive, and have visited them a few times, I noticed they had one of these toys in a storage container at there house in the attic and this has led me to hunt for more retro/vintage toys from the 1970s. https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/5A4AAOSwc5JduGoa/s-l1600.jpg
I always like going on the hunt for retro/vintage toys and learning about the value, history, etc. If anyone can offer recommendations for collectible toys from the 1970s, I would be gladly interested to here what you have to say!  :)

Subject: Re: Collectible 70s toys?

Written By: yelimsexa on 03/02/20 at 8:54 am

Like any collectible, the value will be dictated by demand, rarity, and condition, including original packaging. Action figures were a relatively new toy at the time, and is a good way to start, from G.I. Joes to the figures inspired by popular media, and ending with the first wave of Star Wars figures from the first film. Bronze Age comic books are becoming more difficult to find as well. Winnie the Pooh was wildly popular mid-decade, so there's a lot to build off of there. Sesame Street merchandise from this decade is also quite popular as well. But a lot of dolls aren't as in much demand as you may think, with a few exceptions, since most doll collectors focus on earlier decades.

Video games were in their infancy and many still preferred tabletop board games, and there's a plethora of price points and options to be found. Electronic handhelds were briefly popular late in the decade into the early '80s before video games fully took over. You could even expand you reach by looking at old food packaging, especially cereal boxes and some of the "free" items that you occasionally discover from them. And of course, no '70s toy collection isn't complete without a Pet Rock or two. Look at various department store catalogs from this era to get a better idea, and watch some TV commercials as well.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/02/20 at 1:31 pm

We have been in the business of buying junk & selling antiques. We have done quite well with toys. My sister also is in the business but she mainly concentrates on dolls from the '50s on. She has even written a few doll books of that era.

When she first started (a long time before we did-in fact, she was the one who got us into it), she said it was mainly Baby Boomers who bought her stuff-reliving their childhoods. Now, the Baby Boomers are starting to downsize they are no longer buying. Then came the next generation who started buying toys from their childhood. And it goes on. That is not to say that there aren't people who will buy really old/antique toys. Not only is age an issue so is condition. The ideal would be NIB (new in box) or NBOB (Never been out of box). But there are people who will buy certain toys in terrible condition depending on what they are. They may be looking for "parts or repair." Of course, you are not going to get as much as the NIB.

Our best investment was a two box lot we bought for $45 at an auction. The boxes were full of dolls from the '60s & '70s. There was a second generation GI Joe doll that we sold for $31 because it had condition issues. There were a few other dolls that we sold for $10 here, or there. But, there was ONE doll, even though it was in "played with" condition, we sold for over $1,000!  :o :o :o

Cat

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/02/20 at 2:14 pm

Like any collectible, the value will be dictated by demand, rarity, and condition, including original packaging. Action figures were a relatively new toy at the time, and is a good way to start, from G.I. Joes to the figures inspired by popular media, and ending with the first wave of Star Wars figures from the first film. Bronze Age comic books are becoming more difficult to find as well. Winnie the Pooh was wildly popular mid-decade, so there's a lot to build off of there. Sesame Street merchandise from this decade is also quite popular as well. But a lot of dolls aren't as in much demand as you may think, with a few exceptions, since most doll collectors focus on earlier decades.

Video games were in their infancy and many still preferred tabletop board games, and there's a plethora of price points and options to be found. Electronic handhelds were briefly popular late in the decade into the early '80s before video games fully took over. You could even expand you reach by looking at old food packaging, especially cereal boxes and some of the "free" items that you occasionally discover from them. And of course, no '70s toy collection isn't complete without a Pet Rock or two. Look at various department store catalogs from this era to get a better idea, and watch some TV commercials as well.

It ends with Mego Micronauts, Mattel Shogun Warriors, and the Star Wars Early Bird Certificate Package.

The first wave of original Star Wars action figures by Kenner were early 80s toys. 80s shows like Diff'rent Strokes, Taxi, and Dallas premiered in the same year that original Kenner Star Wars figures made their debut in toy stores.

Written By: Howard on 03/03/20 at 6:58 am

It ends with Mego Micronauts, Mattel Shogun Warriors, and the Star Wars Early Bird Certificate Package.

The first wave of original Star Wars action figures by Kenner were early 80s toys. 80s shows like Diff'rent Strokes, Taxi, and Dallas premiered in the same year that original Kenner Star Wars figures made their debut in toy stores.

What was your least favorite collectable?

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/03/20 at 1:16 pm

The Pet Rock. What was that supposed to be?

Written By: Howard on 03/03/20 at 1:28 pm

And I don't understand why a rock had to act like a pet, I think that was a stupid idea from The 1970's.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/03/20 at 1:31 pm

And I don't understand why a rock had to act like a pet, I think that was a stupid idea from The 1970's.
I feel it was a knock on from the 'hippie' era.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/03/20 at 2:50 pm

It wasn't stupid to the people who thought it up because they made boocoo bucks on it. It was only stupid to the people who actually BOUGHT them.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/03/20 at 2:53 pm

It wasn't stupid to the people who thought it up because they made boocoo bucks on it. It was only stupid to the people who actually BOUGHT them.

Cat
What was the consistency for the 'pet rock', was it manufactured or just a pebble from a beach?

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/03/20 at 3:36 pm

What was the consistency for the 'pet rock', was it manufactured or just a pebble from a beach?

It’s hard to tell. They all appear to be the same color nonetheless.

Written By: Howard on 03/04/20 at 4:40 am

Cat

How much money did this pet rock make?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/04/20 at 12:55 pm

It was just a rock that they put in a cardboard box with holes in it. It also came with an instruction manual.

How much money did this pet rock make?

https://www.sidehustlerich.com/side-hustle-ideas/pet-rock-millionaire/

Cat

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/04/20 at 3:54 pm

The best collectible toy of the 1970s was The Adventure Team Kung Fu Grip G.I. Joe. The worst, as I mentioned before, was the Pet Rock. It was the 70s, but still…

What was your favorite and least favorite 70s collectible?

Written By: robby76 on 03/05/20 at 5:48 am

I was very young in the late 70s, but I used to love Playmobil.

My brother was into Action Man (GI Joe doll) and Star Wars figures (which I later joined him in).

My sisters were mainly into Barbie and Sindy, and other dolls like Donny & Marie.

Looking back I used to always want Mego dolls from the toy store - stuff like Planet of the Apes and Archie!

http://www.actionfigureuniverse.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/PlanetoftheApes/.pond/POTAEMCEFirst4.jpg.w560h270.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/05/20 at 5:51 am

I was very young in the late 70s, but I used to love Playmobil.

My brother was into Action Man (GI Joe doll) and Star Wars figures (which I later joined him in).

My sisters were mainly into Barbie and Sindy, and other dolls like Donny & Marie.

Looking back I used to always want Mego dolls from the toy store - stuff like Planet of the Apes and Archie!

http://www.actionfigureuniverse.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/PlanetoftheApes/.pond/POTAEMCEFirst4.jpg.w560h270.jpg
I had an Action Man in th e1970s, it disappeared from me when I left home, probably donated to charity?

Written By: Howard on 03/05/20 at 7:04 am

It was just a rock that they put in a cardboard box with holes in it. It also came with an instruction manual.

https://www.sidehustlerich.com/side-hustle-ideas/pet-rock-millionaire/

Cat

An instruction manual on how to train a stupid rock, Really?  ::)

Written By: Howard on 03/05/20 at 7:05 am

The best collectible toy of the 1970s was The Adventure Team Kung Fu Grip G.I. Joe. The worst, as I mentioned before, was the Pet Rock. It was the 70s, but still…

What was your favorite and least favorite 70s collectible?

I was more of an 80's collectable, I was only 5 years old when the 1970's ended.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/05/20 at 7:10 am

An instruction manual on how to train a stupid rock, Really?  ::)
..and the money kept rolling in from every side!

Written By: Howard on 03/05/20 at 8:24 am

..and the money kept rolling in from every side!

Just a stupid thing whoever came up with the idea for a pet.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/05/20 at 8:27 am

Just a stupid thing whoever came up with the idea for a pet.
Has pet rock ever featured in film or television programmes?

Written By: Howard on 03/05/20 at 2:09 pm

I don't really think so.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/05/20 at 3:02 pm

I don't really think so.
I will checked up on this online on one of my days offline as my homework.

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/07/20 at 7:26 am

I will checked up on this online on one of my days offline as my homework.

They talked about it in office space. One guy said worst idea ever. But the other guy said he made a million dollars.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/07/20 at 7:36 am

They talked about it everywhere. Johnny Carson and other talk shows made jokes about it. It was a fad. Kind of like the Chia Pet, but without the staying power of the Chia Pet which is trotted out every Christmas to this day and which silly people buy because it is "kitsch".

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/07/20 at 1:28 pm

They talked about it everywhere. Johnny Carson and other talk shows made jokes about it. It was a fad. Kind of like the Chia Pet, but without the staying power of the Chia Pet which is trotted out every Christmas to this day and which silly people buy because it is "kitsch".

For many years, I used to joke to a friend of mine that I was going get her a Chia pet for Christmas/her birthday. She kept saying, "Don't you dare" as she was laughing because she knew that I was joking. Hmm, her birthday is coming up... :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/08/20 at 2:42 pm

I was more of an 80's collectable, I was only 5 years old when the 1970's ended.

You did not have any hand-me-down 70s toys or 70s toys to play with at day care?  ???

Some Boomers went out and purchased Chia Pets when they were new in the early 80s. Everyone should know by now that Boomers LOVE plants. So, it made sense for Baby Boomers to have a Chia Pet amongst the other plants they were watering.
My micro-generation caught wind of Chia Pets in the late 80s and early 90s. Obviously, Chia Pets are still around because they are far more collectible than the Pet Rock was.

Written By: Howard on 03/08/20 at 3:01 pm

They talked about it in office space. One guy said worst idea ever. But the other guy said he made a million dollars.

So why couldn't they make a pet stick, Did they ever try doing that? ???

Written By: Howard on 03/08/20 at 3:02 pm

You did not have any hand-me-down 70s toys or 70s toys to play with at day care?  ???

Some Boomers went out and purchased Chia Pets when they were new in the early 80s. Everyone should know by now that Boomers LOVE plants. So, it made sense for Baby Boomers to have a Chia Pet amongst the other plants they were watering.
My micro-generation caught wind of Chia Pets in the late 80s and early 90s. Obviously, Chia Pets are still around because they are far more collectible than the Pet Rock was.

No I never went to day care, I was in kindergarten back in 1978.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/08/20 at 3:10 pm

No I never went to day care, I was in kindergarten back in 1978.

You didn’t go in any toy stores in that time?

Written By: Howard on 03/08/20 at 3:51 pm

You didn’t go in any toy stores in that time?

Not that I can remember, There was a Korvettes back in my day.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/08/20 at 3:55 pm

Not that I can remember, There was a Korvettes back in my day.

You didn’t see any child your age or younger with a MEGO doll, Mattel action figure doll, or Stretch Armstrong?

Written By: Howard on 03/09/20 at 7:08 am

You didn’t see any child your age or younger with a MEGO doll, Mattel action figure doll, or Stretch Armstrong?

If I did I must've saw the dolls on television when they were advertising them.

Written By: karen on 03/14/20 at 9:50 am

So why couldn't they make a pet stick, Did they ever try doing that? ???

Yes, I remember a friend buying one of these on a school trip. It was about two inches long and maybe half an inch in diameter with stock on 'googly' eyes

Written By: Howard on 03/14/20 at 3:56 pm

Yes, I remember a friend buying one of these on a school trip. It was about two inches long and maybe half an inch in diameter with stock on 'googly' eyes

Was it from The 1970's?  ???

Written By: karen on 04/06/20 at 1:42 am

Another couple of toys from the seventies I remembered in conversation with my son.

Six Million Dollar man figurine complete with an engine block for him to demonstrate how strong his bionic arm was.

Evel Knievel doll and stunt bike. I don’t remember if it came with a ramp or that was something my brothers made.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/06/20 at 1:51 am

Another couple of toys from the seventies I remembered in conversation with my son.

Evel Knievel doll and stunt bike. I don’t remember if it came with a ramp or that was something my brothers made.
Similar to Duke Caboom (voiced by Keanu Reeves) in "Toy Story 4"?

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/e3/34/bd/e334bdc8d8df00fe1eb6e34502e89e81.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...