inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Worst Part of the 1970s

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/26/20 at 12:09 pm

What was the worst part of the 1970s?

1969-1971 (Early 70s):More like the late 60s
1972-1974(Mid 70s): Core 70s
1975-1977 (Late 70s): More like the very early 80s

Did you dislike the 70s entirely like I do?

Subject: Re: Worst Part of the 1970s

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/26/20 at 2:17 pm

What was the worst part of the 1970s?

1969-1971 (Early 70s):More like the late 60s
1972-1974(Mid 70s): Core 70s
1975-1977 (Late 70s): More like the very early 80s

Did you dislike the 70s entirely like I do?

No.  The 70's didn't start until 1970 and they lasted through 1979.  In 1969 it was still the 60s.  I was there - for the entire decade.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/26/20 at 2:22 pm

No.  The 70's didn't start until 1970 and they lasted through 1979.  In 1969 it was still the 60s.  I was there - for the entire decade.

It was the same for me, I can recall calendars and diaries confirming the precise dates 1969 for 1969 and 1970 to 1979 for 1970 to 1979.

I was there too!

Written By: Howard on 03/26/20 at 3:03 pm

Did you like or disliked the disco/funk era?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/26/20 at 3:25 pm

It was the same for me, I can recall calendars and diaries confirming the precise dates 1969 for 1969 and 1970 to 1979 for 1970 to 1979.

I was there too!

We've been through all this before with this poster and their previous incarnations, but I don't tire of repeating it.  :D  My take on it has always been (in fact my very first ever post here ages ago was about this)  is that the 60s ended  in late 1972. Not for any reason in particular. Not even for Nixon's landslide re-election in November of that year. It just petered to an end. It wound down. But the 60s ending was not the same as the 70s beginning. 1970 was THE most "60s" year of the 70s, and by 1971 the 70s were in full swing as the 60s overlapped and hung on until the end of 72. The 70s ended and the 80s began (in this case it WAS the same thing) at the crack of 1981. The election of Reagan and the assasination of John Lennon. Thos two events may (or may not) have even been just symbolic, but by 1981 everything and I mean EVERYTHING was different. All things 60s and 70s were held in scorn for quite a while at that point.

As for the original question, "what was the worst part" by year or section of years, none of the sections of the decade were "worst" to me. I can say what ASPECT of the decade was worst, and that, of course, was disco.  8-P  8-P  8-P

Oh yeah, I was there too.  :-*  :-*

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/26/20 at 3:30 pm

The only frightening thing I can recall was my English teacher telling we were nearly at war with someone, or the USA was nearly at war with some country, and cannot recall the events that caused this statement, but the dates of the event were between September 1972 to July 1975. Probably Nixon was involved? Cuba?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/26/20 at 4:49 pm

The 70's doesn't have a worst part - it was a wholly fine decade.  It's just that different things happened over the course of the decade - which ALWAYS happens.  Although I enjoy Disco to a degree (most regulars know that about me), IMO the 70s music "powers that be" who decided to cram it down everybody's throats are largely responsible for the scorn the genre received starting around '77ish.  If they just let it play nice concurrently with other genres (the way it did in the beginning), the 70's wouldn't be thought of as the "Disco decade" and we wouldn't have had a "Disco Demolition", nor would non-Disco artists have felt compelled to bow down to the great Disco machine late in the decade.  This was a man-made issue and was unnecessary - it didn't have to cause such a rift.  That said, the late 70's era had a different vibe than the early 70's - but both were equally 70's, not tied to some other decade.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/26/20 at 5:11 pm

The 70's doesn't have a worst part - it was a wholly fine decade.  It's just that different things happened over the course of the decade - which ALWAYS happens.  Although I enjoy Disco to a degree (most regulars know that about me), IMO the 70s music "powers that be" who decided to cram it down everybody's throats are largely responsible for the scorn the genre received starting around '77ish.  If they just let it play nice concurrently with other genres (the way it did in the beginning), the 70's wouldn't be thought of as the "Disco decade" and we wouldn't have had a "Disco Demolition", nor would non-Disco artists have felt compelled to bow down to the great Disco machine late in the decade.  This was a man-made issue and was unnecessary - it didn't have to cause such a rift.  That said, the late 70's era had a different vibe than the early 70's - but both were equally 70's, not tied to some other decade.

A good point about the "man made" aspect of disco. There came a point, largely spurred on by the popularity of "Saturday Night Fever" no doubt, where it seeped into the mainstream and to people who weren't really into music one way or the other.  When something seeps into the mainstream to people who don't really understand, and becomes MARKETED, watch out! Like San Francisco and hippies in 1967. I remember middle aged women (which seemed ancient to me back then  ;D ) saying things like "can you do 'the disco'?'" as if it was one dance or one big block of thing. Like an old or unknowledgeable person today might say "are you on 'the Twitter'?". You had people like Ethel Merman making a disco album of her old Broadway hits in 1979. And novelty garbage like "Disco Duck". Trust me, it's not music fans who buy novelty records. Which is why they flare up into big hits for one minute then immediately burn themselves out. They become tiresome almost immediately. You had people making disco Christmas albums. Disco TV shows popped up. There was a disco version of the old "I Love Lucy" theme. There was a lot of MARKETING going on.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/26/20 at 5:46 pm

The worst part of the '70s? The fashion (if you can call it that).

Cat

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/26/20 at 5:54 pm

The Brady Bunch and Sesame Street are 70s influences and they are both from 1969.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/26/20 at 6:26 pm

Cat
The point when the people of the hippie era had to find something else to wear?  ;D

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/26/20 at 6:33 pm

The point when the people of the hippie era had to find something else to wear?  ;D

The Silent Generation and Baby Boomers wore wide collars and leisure suits well into the 1980s. I don’t know why people say the disco look died at the end of the 1970s. It carried on well into the 80s.

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/26/20 at 7:30 pm

I lived (and still do) in a rural area so the 70s lasted into the first half of the 80s. I remember 1979 when my folks would go out disco dancing. So most of what I know of the 70s is in pictures.

What I gather the 70s is disgusting and depressing. Dirty, hairy, sweaty. So many pictures of guys with sweat soaked armpits. Clothes that were awkward and too tight in all the wrong places. Decor was the colors of bodily fluids. Gas crisis, people broke, smoking and drugs were the in thing. Cars were of horrid quality partly due to manufacturers having to scramble for the gas crisis but also because they didn’t care, overseas competition was just starting out.

However I did love the music of the late 70s. Disco. And the mellow gold, or yacht rock.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/26/20 at 7:45 pm

Cat

People (both male and female) looked terrific in hiphuggers. If they had the body for it.  ;)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/26/20 at 7:47 pm

I lived (and still do) in a rural area so the 70s lasted into the first half of the 80s. I remember 1979 when my folks would go out disco dancing. So most of what I know of the 70s is in pictures.

What I gather the 70s is disgusting and depressing. Dirty, hairy, sweaty. So many pictures of guys with sweat soaked armpits. Clothes that were awkward and too tight in all the wrong places. Decor was the colors of bodily fluids. Gas crisis, people broke, smoking and drugs were the in thing. Cars were of horrid quality partly due to manufacturers having to scramble for the gas crisis but also because they didn’t care, overseas competition was just starting out.

However I did love the music of the late 70s. Disco. And the mellow gold, or yacht rock.

I don't know about "depressing", but I'd definitely say INTROSPECTIVE. especially the earlier part of the 70s. 

And don't knock those tight clothes till you've tried 'em.  ;)  ;D ;)

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/26/20 at 7:55 pm

Whenever short shorts were the thing for me.  8-P

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/26/20 at 8:35 pm

Whenever short shorts were the thing for me.  8-P

I think you hit on something bigger than you planned there. In the liberated 70s men were not ashamed of their bodies the way they have learned to be now. Short shorts were the norm for men of all ages. Even fat old grandpas wore them. Nobody gave it a second thought. Nobody thought it was weird. Nobody said "yuck". Males also wore cut off tee shirts, also known as "half shirts", which are now known by the vulgar name "crop tops". This continued throughout the ENTIRE 80s, though the baggy rap styles ran parallel for a chunk of the 80s. By 1992 or so Michael Jordan decided he was ashamed of the short shorts pro basketball players always wore and demanded long ones. Seeing that Jordan was a hero to many, many followed suit and the new longer shorts came into being for good. At the same time rap, which had already been going on for a long time, and it's accompanying baggy styles overtook popular culture once and for all. If a male wore short shorts and half shirt now he would be the object of ridicule, he would seem to the modern eye to be as foreign as a space alien. See what I mean about LEARNING to be ashamed of their bodies? Fashions come and go, so if short shorts and half shirts were mere fashion there is the possibility they would come back. But, frankly, I don't forsee any time when that would come back because of a now-learned behavior that it isn't "right" for a male to look like that. It, however, remains perfectly acceptable for women.

That's today's sociology lesson for you.  ;)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/27/20 at 12:20 am

People (both male and female) looked terrific in hiphuggers. If they had the body for it.  ;)

Hey, I recall I had some royal blue hiphuggers.  In the summer I sometimes wore them with my sleeveless blue surplice terry knit crop top with white piping.  If I accessorized it right, that outfit was pretty awesome!  (I was around 13 at the time - and bodily mature.)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/27/20 at 12:26 am

Hey, I recall I had some royal blue hiphuggers.  In the summer I sometimes wore them with my sleeveless blue surplice terry knit crop top with white piping.  If I accessorized it right, that outfit was pretty awesome!  (I was around 13 at the time - and bodily mature.)

I had blue hiphuggers too. Denim ones. And shirts with puffy sleeves. remember those for guys?

Written By: Howard on 03/27/20 at 7:06 am

Cat

Was it the bright colors?

Written By: Howard on 03/27/20 at 7:09 am

I don't know about "depressing", but I'd definitely say INTROSPECTIVE. especially the earlier part of the 70s. 

And don't knock those tight clothes till you've tried 'em.  ;)  ;D ;)

I don't think I'd fit in tight clothes today not in one of those disco outfits.

Written By: violet_shy on 03/27/20 at 11:00 am

;D that's funny.

Everytime I see photos or videos and films from the 70s, everyone looked dewey.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/27/20 at 11:21 am

;D that's funny.

"Dewey"?  ???  Like Huey, Dewey and Louie?

Written By: violet_shy on 03/27/20 at 11:29 am

Moist.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/27/20 at 11:41 am

Moist.

I don't recall the 70s being a particularly moist time.

Here's an article about the word "moist"

https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/why-do-people-hate-the-word-moist

And another:

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/07/science/moist-word-aversion.html

Written By: violet_shy on 03/27/20 at 11:47 am

I don't recall the 70s being a particularly moist time.

Here's an article about the word "moist"

https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/why-do-people-hate-the-word-moist

And another:

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/07/science/moist-word-aversion.html

I know. I was just being silly.  :-[

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/27/20 at 11:50 am

I know. I was just being silly.  :-[

So was I, silly.  :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/27/20 at 11:59 am

Huey, Dewey and Louie in the rain, with an umbrella avoiding getting moist?

https://d1466nnw0ex81e.cloudfront.net/n_iv/120/878341.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/27/20 at 1:43 pm

I had a dark red pair. The thing is, the front flap didn't sit right so everyone thought my fly was down. They would say, "Your fly is down." I would say, "No it's not." They would respond, "Yes it is." I then have to show them and finally they would say, "Oh, it's not down."

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/27/20 at 1:46 pm

Was it the bright colors?

It wasn't the bright colors but the awful colors-the harvest golds, the mustard yellows, the avocado greens, etc. And then the stripes. Nothing worse than striped pants.  8-P 8-P 8-P

Cat

Written By: Howard on 03/27/20 at 1:58 pm

Moist.

Describe "moist" to me.

Written By: Howard on 03/27/20 at 2:01 pm

It wasn't the bright colors but the awful colors-the harvest golds, the mustard yellows, the avocado greens, etc. And then the stripes. Nothing worse than striped pants.  8-P 8-P 8-P

Cat

And those silly disco space outfits? ???

Written By: Howard on 03/27/20 at 2:02 pm

Pet Rocks

Written By: violet_shy on 03/27/20 at 3:00 pm

Describe "moist" to me.

Damp.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/27/20 at 3:25 pm

Describe "moist" to me.
slightly wet.

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/27/20 at 7:58 pm

;D that's funny.

Dewey. That’s a different way to put it.  :)

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/28/20 at 6:32 pm

Nothing stands out for me from the years 1973 and 1974, so I’m going to say those were the weakest years of the 1970s.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/28/20 at 6:35 pm

Nothing stands out for me from the years 1973 and 1974, so I’m going to say those were the weakest years of the 1970s.

Odd & Even days.

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/28/20 at 6:37 pm

What about the Watergate Hearings in 1973 and Nixon's resignation in 1974? I'd say those were pretty important events.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/28/20 at 6:43 pm

Odd & Even days.

Cat

What's Odd & Even days?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/28/20 at 6:59 pm

What's Odd & Even days?

I thought you would remember. The gas shortage.

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/28/20 at 7:29 pm

I thought you would remember. The gas shortage.

Cat

Oh yes. I think I tried to black that out.  ;D I remember when they extended Daylight Savings Time in 1974 due to the energy crisis.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/28/20 at 7:42 pm

What about the Watergate Hearings in 1973 and Nixon's resignation in 1974? I'd say those were pretty important events.

What else happened culturally? 1969 had The Brady Bunch, 1970 had Earth Day, 1971 had Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory,  1972 had the birth of disco, 1975 had Saturday Night Live, 1976 had rugby pullover sweaters, and 1977 had Star Wars.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/28/20 at 8:10 pm

What else happened culturally? 1969 had The Brady Bunch, 1970 had Earth Day, 1971 had Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory,  1972 had the birth of disco, 1975 had Saturday Night Live, 1976 had rugby pullover sweaters, and 1977 had Star Wars.

You really need something bigger than the resignation of a US president? 1973 had the release of  Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" which still sells to this day, for one. The 1973-74 "energy crisis" changed the face of things too.

By the way, 1972 was not the birth of disco in any way shape or form. Disco went mainstream in 1975 as we all know, and  it existed before then (but NOT as early as 1972) in an underground form which was strictly, and I mean STRICTLY, the underground territory of African-Americans and gay males in urban areas in those days. Nobody else heard of it. No mainstream attention at all. You have to go to 75 and into 76 for disco to be a cultural thing.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/28/20 at 8:18 pm

You really need something bigger than the resignation of a US president? 1973 had the release of  Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" which still sells to this day, for one. The 1973-74 "energy crisis" changed the face of things too.

By the way, 1972 was not the birth of disco in any way shape or form. Disco went mainstream in 1975 as we all know, and  it existed before then (but NOT as early as 1972) in an underground form which was strictly, and I mean STRICTLY, the underground territory of African-Americans and gay males in urban areas in those days. Nobody else heard of it. No mainstream attention at all. You have to go to 75 and into 76 for disco to be a cultural thing.

Still, ‘72 had The Godfather, Led Zeppelin, and the Boston Red Sox at the Chicago White Sox game.

Aside from Dark Side Of The Moon, ‘73 and ‘74 were quite lame for pop culture.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/28/20 at 8:33 pm

...By the way, 1972 was not the birth of disco in any way shape or form...

I'd say the first popular Disco songs were heard starting around late-'73, but they were few and far between and nobody called them Disco.  I never heard the term "Disco" (and I was on the channels where I'd have heard it) until mid-'74.  At that time the genre was still in its infancy - but growing in popularity.

Still, ‘72 had The Godfather, Led Zeppelin, and the Boston Red Sox at the Chicago Red Sox game.

You mean the Chicago White Sox?    ???

Come on - much of the best music ever came out then.  And TV was amazing.  Can't say about movies (not my strong area of knowledge).

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/28/20 at 8:40 pm

Still, ‘72 had The Godfather, Led Zeppelin, and the Boston Red Sox at the Chicago Red Sox game.

Not really. 1973 was the apex of the glam rock era, especially in the UK. That's one of the main things that clearly marks 1973 as the first true post-60s year.  Post "cultural 60s".  What 1974 and 1975 were, in a way, was a holding pattern. In fact I often see 1975 as it's own island that is neither "early 70s" or late 70s". But when I say "holding pattern" in 74, it's that most of the big splashes that year were by already established people and not necessarily "new". The biggest music news of 1974 was the return tour of Bob Dylan & the Band, the return tour and album  of Eric Clapton who was practically resurrected from the dead of heroin addiction he had been in during the early 70s, and the reunion tour of Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. These shows were the hottest tickets in town. Trust me, I know. I stood in line (back when one actually stood in line for tickets). All of these artists were already established in the 60s and early 70s. This doesn't make the year "weak" as you contend. It was fabulously rich, culturally. You seem to want to think that every year has to have some brand new thing to make it "culturally relevant" and this results in shoehorning. I mean "rugby shirts"? Really?

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/28/20 at 8:42 pm

I'd say the first popular Disco songs were heard starting around late-'73, but they were few and far between and nobody called them Disco.  I never heard the term "Disco" (and I was on the channels where I'd have heard it) until mid-'74.  At that time the genre was still in its infancy - but growing in popularity.

You mean the Chicago White Sox?    ???

Come on - much of the best music ever came out then.  And TV was amazing.  Can't say about movies (not my strong area of knowledge).

Thanks. I corrected it.

I can’t think of a thing that came out of the years 1973 to 1974 besides Dark Side Of The Moon, Ziggy Stardust, Happy Days, and Blazing Saddles. That’s not enough to go on.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/28/20 at 8:46 pm

Thanks. I corrected it.

I can’t think of a thing that came out of the years 1973 to 1974 besides Dark Side Of The Moon, Ziggy Stardust, Happy Days, and Blazing Saddles. That’s not enough to go on.

"Ziggy Stardust" came out in 1972. You might be thinking of "Aladdin Sane" which came out in 1973.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/28/20 at 9:01 pm

"Ziggy Stardust" came out in 1972. You might be thinking of "Aladdin Sane" which came out in 1973.

Ziggy Stardust became popular in 1973. The birthday cards don’t lie.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91kWeWMaYlL._SL1500_.jpg

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 03/28/20 at 9:02 pm

1975-79?

Question mark because I don't remember the exact years from when I learned about this, but I know it went on for four years. I'm talking about the Khmer Rogue. In my opinion, due to that, those years (up to a point in 1979 when the Vietnamese fought the regime enough to take over Pol Pot's forces) were the worst of the 1970s. As you can probably tell, I really hate Pol Pot, to the point I can't say enough bad things about him.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/28/20 at 9:10 pm

I don’t see 1978 and 1979 as 70s years. Too 80s to be 70s.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/28/20 at 9:18 pm

Ziggy Stardust became popular in 1973. The birthday cards don’t lie.

Where does that card say "Ziggy Stardust' on it anywhere? In fact that photo is clearly 1974 "Diamond Dogs" era Bowie. So the card didn't even use a 1973 Bowie photo, when he would have been the "Pinups"/"Aladdin Sane" era Bowie (Bowie was so prolific he released TWO albums in 1973) which looked neither like the "Ziggy" Bowie nor the "Diamond Dogs" Bowie. We used to follow these things quite closely back then.  8)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/28/20 at 9:22 pm

I don’t see 1978 and 1979 as 70s years. Too 80s to be 70s.

I was there, and I'm here to tell you, 1978 and 1979 were indeed 70s.  Nobody was thinking we had crossed the decade line in 1978.  The culture had not changed that much either - except maybe to become more Disco-ey.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/28/20 at 9:27 pm

I was there, and I'm here to tell you, 1978 and 1979 were indeed 70s.  Nobody was thinking we had crossed the decade line in 1978.  The culture had not changed that much either - except maybe to become more Disco-ey.

Absolutely correct from another who was there. 1978 was the absolute height of disco and the height of punk, those two most 70s of phenomena. And Jimmy Carter, that most 70s of presidents. We've been through all this before with OMF's previous personas and he/she will not be swayed. It's fun trying though.  :D

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/28/20 at 9:57 pm

Absolutely correct from another who was there. 1978 was the absolute height of disco and the height of punk, those two most 70s of phenomena. And Jimmy Carter, that most 70s of presidents. We've been through all this before with OMF's previous personas and he/she will not be swayed. It's fun trying though.  :D

You see punk, Jimmy Carter, and disco as only 70s. Like it or not, they all spanned into the 1980s. Better in the 70s, but a part of the very early 1980s (1978 to 1980) as well.

You only see 1978 to 1979 as 70s years because you’re decadologist.  ::)

Time periods do not exist as decades.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/28/20 at 10:06 pm

The Early 70s = “Still the 60s”
The Early 80s = “Indeed 70s”
The Early 90s = “The 80s on steroids”
The Early 2000s = “Late 90s”
The Early 2010s = “2009 and 2010 were a part of this era”
The Early 2020s = “Filled with late 2010s spillovers”

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/28/20 at 10:13 pm

You see punk, Jimmy Carter, and disco as only 70s. Like it or not, they all spanned into the 1980s. Better in the 70s, but a part of the very early 1980s (1978 to 1980) as well.

You only see 1978 to 1979 as 70s years because you’re decadologist.  ::)

Time periods do not exist as decades.

I KNOW time periods don't only exist as decades. I'M the one who keeps saying the 60s went until 1972 and the 80s began in 1981. BUT, just because something very definitive of a decade (ie disco and punk for the 70s) spills over into another decade DOESN'T automatically mean that the original decade becomes part of the later decade. The late 70s were so 70s it's indisputable and had nothing to do with the 80s. The 80s ethos absolutely was NOWHERE in 78 and 79. NOWHERE. That some aspects of the late 70s managed to hang on for dear life into the 80s DOESN'T make 78 and 79 part of the cultural 80s, which began in 1981.

It works in the other direction too. I never tire of telling people the Brady Bunch actually began in 1969. You have picked up on this as well. But it might as well have not have. The three months and 13 episodes (that's it) in 1969 that the Brady Bunch was on the air are meaningless. Nobody paid attention to it, it had nothing to do with anything and was practically cancelled. It later blossomed into a VERY 1970s phenomenon. That it actually began in 1969 becomes culturally meaningless, and does not make 1969 part of the 70s, which it WASN'T.

Written By: 2001 on 03/28/20 at 10:50 pm

The Early 70s = “Still the 60s”
The Early 80s = “Indeed 70s”
The Early 90s = “The 80s on steroids”
The Early 2000s = “Late 90s”
The Early 2010s = “2009 and 2010 were a part of this era”
The Early 2020s = “Filled with late 2010s spillovers”

No lies detected (except maybe the early 90s one)

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/28/20 at 10:51 pm

I KNOW time periods don't only exist as decades. I'M the one who keeps saying the 60s went until 1972 and the 80s began in 1981. BUT, just because something very definitive of a decade (ie disco and punk for the 70s) spills over into another decade DOESN'T automatically mean that the original decade becomes part of the later decade. The late 70s were so 70s it's indisputable and had nothing to do with the 80s. The 80s ethos absolutely was NOWHERE in 78 and 79. NOWHERE. That some aspects of the late 70s managed to hang on for dear life into the 80s DOESN'T make 78 and 79 part of the cultural 80s, which began in 1981.

It works in the other direction too. I never tire of telling people the Brady Bunch actually began in 1969. You have picked up on this as well. But it might as well have not have. The three months and 13 episodes (that's it) in 1969 that the Brady Bunch was on the air are meaningless. Nobody paid attention to it, it had nothing to do with anything and was practically cancelled. It later blossomed into a VERY 1970s phenomenon. That it actually began in 1969 becomes culturally meaningless, and does not make 1969 part of the 70s, which it WASN'T.

I see where you’re coming from, but where is the end point for any time period when you’re classifying it by all of the new culture that came out of the time period?  ???

We know the 70s for punk, disco, and the election of Jimmy Carter amongst other things, but all of those things helped to make up the atmosphere of the early 1980s (1978 to 1980).

How is Garfield, Diff’rent Strokes, Superman, Dallas, Alien, Grease, Space Invaders, Empire Strikes Back, PAC Man, and the Rubik’s cube not 80s?  ???

The very early 80s were a different side to the 1980s than the Reagan and Bush 80s we all know, but it was the 80s nonetheless.

I guess I cannot get you to see the time periods the way they were to me. Too much of your argument stems from your bias. You forget that Jimmy Carter was President for a few days in 1981. Also, going by your rhetoric, 1969 would be a 70s year because Richard Nixon’s first term began in that year. 

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/28/20 at 10:53 pm

No lies detected (except maybe the early 90s one)

I disagree. The late 60s were the late 60s and the early 70s were the early 70s. No two eras are alike.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/28/20 at 11:24 pm

The national 55 mph speed limit.  ::)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/28/20 at 11:30 pm

Agree - that was the WORST!  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/29/20 at 2:57 am

What is the national speed limit now, i.e. on freeways?

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/29/20 at 3:15 am

https://www.iihs.org/topics/speed/speed-limit-laws

It varies a lot.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/29/20 at 3:19 am

https://www.iihs.org/topics/speed/speed-limit-laws

It varies a lot.
Thank you

UK car speed limits are generally 30mph in urban areas, 60mph on main single-carriageway roads, and 70mph on dual carriageways and motorways. But recently, a speed limit of 20mph has come into place today on all central London roads managed by Transport for London (TfL). The rollout of the new limit will apply to 8.9km of roads within the congestion charge zone, including some in the City of London.

Written By: Howard on 03/29/20 at 6:39 am

The Blackout of 1977.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/29/20 at 4:59 pm

The national speed limit was raised to 65 mph in the mid 1980's for rural interstate highways and then it was repealed altogether in 1994, leaving it up to the individual states to set their own speed limits. In Nebraska, the state in which I reside, the speed limit for rural interstate highways (I-80) is 75 mph. Some states have speed limits of 80 mph and I've even heard that Texas wants to raise the limit to 85 mph on certain highways.

Written By: whistledog on 03/29/20 at 5:27 pm

Thank you

UK car speed limits are generally 30mph in urban areas, 60mph on main single-carriageway roads, and 70mph on dual carriageways and motorways. But recently, a speed limit of 20mph has come into place today on all central London roads managed by Transport for London (TfL). The rollout of the new limit will apply to 8.9km of roads within the congestion charge zone, including some in the City of London.

In Canada, its typically 40km in residential areas, 60k on regular roads around cities, 80km on regular highways and 100km on Freeways

Written By: 2001 on 03/29/20 at 8:49 pm

In Canada, its typically 40km in residential areas, 60k on regular roads around cities, 80km on regular highways and 100km on Freeways

In the Toronto area it can be 30 km (20 mi) in residential areas like mine. Kids wanna play hockey on the street.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/30/20 at 3:30 am

In the Toronto area it can be 30 km (20 mi) in residential areas like mine. Kids wanna play hockey on the street.
Kids do not want to play baseball?

Written By: 2001 on 03/30/20 at 11:38 pm

Kids do not want to play baseball?

The most popular sports to play casually here are hockey (for kids) and basketball (for teenagers/adults). Even with basketball, people like to put the basketball pole/hoop on the curbside, and play the sport in the middle of the road.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/30/20 at 11:50 pm

The most popular sports to play casually here are hockey (for kids) and basketball (for teenagers/adults). Even with basketball, people like to put the basketball pole/hoop on the curbside, and play the sport in the middle of the road.

:o  That sounds dangerous!!!

Written By: 2001 on 03/31/20 at 12:06 am

:o  That sounds dangerous!!!

Well, not when the speed limit is 30 km/h (20 mi/h) on a residential road :P

This past Sunday with the beautiful spring weather, everyone was out playing hockey, basketball, riding their bikes, walking their dogs all right in the middle of the road. I wanted to scream GO BACK INSIDE!! I'm more worried about corona than car accidents.  :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/31/20 at 1:10 am

When I was young, it was either football or cricket I would play in the street, in a way cricket would be easier in the space provided.

Written By: 2001 on 03/31/20 at 1:27 am

When I was young, it was either football or cricket I would play in the street, in a way cricket would be easier in the space provided.

Hmm, it would be, but your cricket balls never smashed into anyone's window?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/31/20 at 1:49 am

Hmm, it would be, but your cricket balls never smashed into anyone's window?  ???
There was that temptation...

Written By: Howard on 03/31/20 at 7:12 am

When I was young, I always rode my small bicycle or tricycle.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/31/20 at 7:38 am

When I was young, I always rode my small bicycle or tricycle.
Yes indeed, on our bikes, we would go on long bike rides to near by towns.

Written By: Howard on 03/31/20 at 1:48 pm

Yes indeed, on our bikes, we would go on long bike rides to near by towns.

I would bike ride around my neighborhood or maybe to the park.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/31/20 at 3:17 pm

I would bike ride around my neighborhood or maybe to the park.
Even the children playgrounds and parks are disappearing now.

Written By: Howard on 04/01/20 at 4:14 am

Even the children playgrounds and parks are disappearing now.

There are still kids going to the parks but not as many.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/01/20 at 4:34 am

There are still kids going to the parks but not as many.
Of two of the child playgrounds I played on when I was young, one has been built on, and the other is still there but totally minimalised.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/02/20 at 2:26 pm

The national speed limit was raised to 65 mph in the mid 1980's for rural interstate highways and then it was repealed altogether in 1994, leaving it up to the individual states to set their own speed limits. In Nebraska, the state in which I reside, the speed limit for rural interstate highways (I-80) is 75 mph. Some states have speed limits of 80 mph and I've even heard that Texas wants to raise the limit to 85 mph on certain highways.

It was on this date (April 2nd) 1987, that the speed limit on U.S. interstate highways was increased to 65 miles per hour in limited areas.

Written By: Contigo on 06/21/22 at 8:56 am

Not disco itself, but
1) How oversaturated the charts were with disco. especially in late 1978 and 1979
2) Disco was seemingly shoved down our throats, it was so bad that some non-disco acts put out disco (or disco..ish) type songs.

I don't really care for the genre much, but there are a handful of disco songs I like.
Looking back, even the disco songs I hated back then, I like them more than just about any song released in the past 25 years.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/22 at 12:23 pm

Not disco itself, but
1) How oversaturated the charts were with disco. especially in late 1978 and 1979
2) Disco was seemingly shoved down our throats, it was so bad that some non-disco acts put out disco (or disco..ish) type songs.

I don't really care for the genre much, but there are a handful of disco songs I like.
Looking back, even the disco songs I hated back then, I like them more than just about any song released in the past 25 years.  ;D
I am the same as you, and I even fell asleep when I saw "Saturday Night Fever", in fact I have not seen it since, I was appalled with language too.

I still like The Bee Gees music.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/22/22 at 12:24 pm

Not disco itself, but

I don't overall hate the genre Disco (as I have many memories of dancing to Disco at University) but I agree with your points.  Disco was handled very badly then, for the purpose of greed.  In general Disco doesn't hold up well to aging.  There is a lot of Disco I dislike, most particularly Disco-ized non-Disco songs.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/22/22 at 12:40 pm

Disco was handled very badly then, for the purpose of greed.  In general Disco doesn't hold up well to aging.  There is a lot of Disco I dislike, most particularly Disco-ized non-Disco songs.

The notorious album where then-71 year old Ethel Merman sang disco-ized versions of her old songs, including There's No Business Like Show Business, Everything's Coming Up Roses, I Get a Kick Out of You, I Got Rhythm and Alexander's Ragtime Band.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/41XFKC1952L.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/22/22 at 2:06 pm

I am the same as you, and I even fell asleep when I saw "Saturday Night Fever", in fact I have not seen it since, I was appalled with language too.

I still like The Bee Gees music.

I remember when I went to see "Saturday Night Fever." I was so excited that a friend & I were going. We were 14? 15? at the time. I was living with my grandmother and asked her if she would get us in since it was "R" rated and we needed an adult. She told them at the ticket booth that we had her permission to see it. (If she knew, she might have not had given her permission. lol) 

I remember being so disappointed in it. All that hype and it just fizzled. Yeah, the music was good but story sucked and the dancing was just ok. I actually prefer the sequel "Staying Alive." I really enjoyed that movie-and the dancing was SOOOO much better.

Spoiler Alert:

Last Scene of Staying Alive. I think the dancing is pretty incredible-even for John Travolta.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynrfz14y8zY

(Yeah, I know it is an '80s movie but it is a sequel to a '70s movie.)

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/22 at 2:11 pm

I remember when I went to see "Saturday Night Fever." I was so excited that a friend & I were going. We were 14? 15? at the time. I was living with my grandmother and asked her if she would get us in since it was "R" rated and we needed an adult. She told them at the ticket booth that we had her permission to see it. (If she knew, she might have not had given her permission. lol) 

I remember being so disappointed in it. All that hype and it just fizzled. Yeah, the music was good but story sucked and the dancing was just ok. I actually prefer the sequel "Staying Alive." I really enjoyed that movie-and the dancing was SOOOO much better.

Spoiler Alert:

Last Scene of Staying Alive. I think the dancing is pretty incredible-even for John Travolta.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynrfz14y8zY

(Yeah, I know it is an '80s movie but it is a sequel to a '70s movie.)

Cat
I prefer John Travolta's dancing in "Pulp Fiction"!

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/22/22 at 2:12 pm

I remember when I went to see "Saturday Night Fever." ... I remember being so disappointed in it. All that hype and it just fizzled. Yeah, the music was good but story sucked and the dancing was just ok. ...

Cat

I concur about the movie.  I was 17 at the time, and I thought it was a lousy movie.  :-\\  I never saw the sequel.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/22/22 at 2:27 pm

Didn't like that movie, either.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/22/22 at 2:29 pm

I concur about the movie.  I was 17 at the time, and I thought it was a lousy movie.  :-\\  I never saw the sequel.

Like I said, the sequel was MUCH, MUCH better-but totally '80s. You should check it out. You might like it.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/22 at 2:31 pm

You reminded me of back in 1974 when "The Exorcist" open on general release, saw the film underage, around 16, the film had a X-Certificate, over 18s only, and for me being tall for my age I got in easily. When I came out of the auditorium walking to the main doors for the exit, I saw a class mate of mine in the queue for tickets. The following day at school, he was telling he was not allowed in for his short in stature. Today "The Exorcist" is still one of my favourite horror films, for the effects were all done in front of the camera, not like the CGI of modern cinema techniques.

Written By: Howard on 06/22/22 at 2:54 pm

I don't overall hate the genre Disco (as I have many memories of dancing to Disco at University) but I agree with your points.  Disco was handled very badly then, for the purpose of greed.  In general Disco doesn't hold up well to aging.  There is a lot of Disco I dislike, most particularly Disco-ized non-Disco songs.

Was going to Studio 54 the worst part of The 1970's?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/22/22 at 4:10 pm

LOL - being an underage teenager and NOT in New York kinda precluded me from going to Studio 54 (if I even wanted to - at that time, I was most interested in fraternizing with other college students)...

Written By: Contigo on 06/23/22 at 11:46 am

I preferred John Travolta in Grease as opposed to SNF. I liked the movie (Grease) better as well. And it had Olivia Newton-John in it. And Stockard Channing was excellent in it as Rizzo.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/23/22 at 11:58 am

I preferred John Travolta in Grease as opposed to SNF. I liked the movie (Grease) better as well. And it had Olivia Newton-John in it. And Stockard Channing was excellent in it as Rizzo.

John Travolta in "Boy In The Plastic Bubble" might indeed have been the "worst part of the 70s".  ;D  ;D  ;D

Written By: Howard on 06/23/22 at 3:10 pm

LOL - being an underage teenager and NOT in New York kinda precluded me from going to Studio 54 (if I even wanted to - at that time, I was most interested in fraternizing with other college students)...

Didn't you say you live in Illinois?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/23/22 at 4:28 pm

LOL - being an underage teenager and NOT in New York kinda precluded me from going to Studio 54 (if I even wanted to - at that time, I was most interested in fraternizing with other college students)..

Didn't you say you live in Illinois?

True now - but at that time (University) that was Michigan.  No matter - I was nowhere near NYC.  That, plus even if I was in NYC I wouldn't have patronized Studio 54 for the other reasons I mentioned.

Check for new replies or respond here...