inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What did you think of these fads as they were happening?

Written By: Wink-182 on 04/02/20 at 2:25 pm

Stuff like Disco and Glam Rock and the Pet Rock craze and etc. Did you take part in them or did you just watch it from afar but not really get involved? I'm thinking of stuff ranging from 75-79, but the entire decade works also.

Subject: Re: What did you think of these fads as they were happening?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/02/20 at 2:32 pm

Disco was great to dance to, but I fell asleep when I saw "Saturday Night Fever" in a cinema on it's original release in 1978.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/03/20 at 6:33 pm

Disco was great to dance to, but I fell asleep when I saw "Saturday Night Fever" in a cinema on it's original release in 1978.

Yeah, "Saturday Night Fever" was hyped so bad. Then I went to see it with a friend and man, it was not a great movie. The music was good and even the dancing was good but the story was pretty bad. Actually, I think the sequel "Staying Alive" was better. The dancing was SO much better. I definitely LOVED the end dance. 

Yeah, I know it was from the '80s but oh well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynrfz14y8zY

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/03/20 at 8:03 pm

Usually when I see a movie I really like, I want to see it again.  Not the case with Saturday Night Fever - I just didn't get into it.

Stuff like Disco and Glam Rock and the Pet Rock craze and etc. Did you take part in them or did you just watch it from afar but not really get involved? I'm thinking of stuff ranging from 75-79, but the entire decade works also.

I liked Disco somewhat because I often went out dancing (I was a college student), but I think it was mishandled.  I didn't like the way it was shoved down everyone's throat.

Glam Rock, on the other hand, was great.  Not all of us used the term then, though.  But as far as the music, it was among the best of the time.

Pet rocks were just a joke (I was in High School at the time).  Although some people actually bought them.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/04/20 at 1:09 pm

Usually when I see a movie I really like, I want to see it again.  Not the case with Saturday Night Fever - I just didn't get into it.

I liked Disco somewhat because I often went out dancing (I was a college student), but I think it was mishandled.  I didn't like the way it was shoved down everyone's throat.

Glam Rock, on the other hand, was great.  Not all of us used the term then, though.  But as far as the music, it was among the best of the time.

Pet rocks were just a joke (I was in High School at the time).  Although some people actually bought them.

I never heard the term so I had to look it what it was. Oh, David Bowie, Queen, etc. Yeah, they were GREAT!

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/04/20 at 1:17 pm

Yeah, "Saturday Night Fever" was hyped so bad. Then I went to see it with a friend and man, it was not a great movie. The music was good and even the dancing was good but the story was pretty bad. Actually, I think the sequel "Staying Alive" was better. The dancing was SO much better. I definitely LOVED the end dance. 

Yeah, I know it was from the '80s but oh well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynrfz14y8zY

Cat
The thing that made it worse for me was the language used, it was a X-Rated film, it was re-released with the naughty words edited out, and I was awake for the dance sequences.

Written By: Howard on 04/04/20 at 3:48 pm

Why? What didn't you get about him? ???

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/04/20 at 8:58 pm

Why? What didn't you get about him? ???

Him who?  ???  I was talking about the movie...

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/05/20 at 3:10 am

Initially, it was the hype on the film that drove me to see it, with a bonus of the film featuring songs from The Bee Gees.

Written By: Howard on 04/05/20 at 3:40 pm

Tony Manero.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/05/20 at 4:04 pm

Tony Manero.

I thought the movie's plot was pretty uninspiring.  In general I liked John Travolta and thought the dancing was good.

Check for new replies or respond here...