inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Great Toilet Paper Scare of 1973

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/05/20 at 9:42 pm

I'd forgotten about this among the many "shortages" (both real and manufactured) of the early 70s until I read this piece and it all came flooding back. So this is the second time I've lived through this whole toilet paper thing.  ;D

The Great Toilet Paper Scare of 1973

https://priceonomics.com/the-great-toilet-paper-scare-of-1973/

Subject: Re: The Great Toilet Paper Scare of 1973

Written By: gibbo on 04/05/20 at 10:08 pm

I use sand paper. It discourages me from using toilet paper at all.  :o

Written By: 2001 on 04/05/20 at 10:15 pm

So you're telling me we had the choice to move onto bidets 50 years ago but eschewed the opportunity? Whenever I went to Asia and used those handheld sprinklers/bideys it was always felt so much cleaner than TP.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/06/20 at 12:40 am

I do not know of this, reads as interesting, and it occurred months before the "three day week" where several measures introduced in the United Kingdom by the Conservative government to conserve electricity, the generation of which was severely restricted owing to the effects of the oil embargo on transportation and inflation. The latter industrial action by coal miners further compounded events.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-Day_Week

I can recall the television stations shutting down at 9pm, not much otherwise, I think I still attended school for each day of the working week.

Written By: karen on 04/06/20 at 1:46 am

I know throughout the early to mid seventies in the UK there were various shortages. I can remember scouring the shops with my parents for sugar, bread and/or bread mixes. Not sure about toilet paper.

There were often random power cuts as well. We had a candelabra permanently perched on the top of the TV set and a paraffin lamp in the kitchen. It wasn’t until sometime in the eighties that my mum felt they could be safely put away.

Written By: Howard on 04/06/20 at 4:16 am

I'd forgotten about this among the many "shortages" (both real and manufactured) of the early 70s until I read this piece and it all came flooding back. So this is the second time I've lived through this whole toilet paper thing.  ;D

https://priceonomics.com/the-great-toilet-paper-scare-of-1973/

My Mother when I was a baby used tushy wipes on me.

Written By: Howard on 04/06/20 at 4:17 am

So you're telling me we had the choice to move onto bidets 50 years ago but eschewed the opportunity? Whenever I went to Asia and used those handheld sprinklers/bideys it was always felt so much cleaner than TP.

But that's disgusting!  :P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/06/20 at 12:47 pm

I don't remember this at all. But, in 1973, there was a money shortage in my house so running out of tp and other things was not uncommon.

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/07/20 at 10:01 am

I really don't remember this at all.  But since we lived in rural Michigan at the time and were accustomed to stocking up on such needs on a regular basis (given that our closest grocery wasn't that close), we may have had a stockpile on hand that got us right through it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/07/20 at 1:52 pm

So Cat, How was your family able to clean themselves?

It is not a topic for this board.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 04/07/20 at 3:26 pm

It is not a topic for this board.

Cat

I'm sorry, I apologize.

Check for new replies or respond here...