inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Did Gen Jonesers feel distinct from Baby Boomers?

Written By: Slashpop on 04/10/20 at 11:34 am

Gen Jones is a recent term. Did anyone of the Gen Jones generation here actually feel distinct from older boomers and Gen X back in the day and today? What are some core differences between Gen Jonesers vs Boomers, especially in relation to pop culture?

I would guess the trends/pop culture of the mid 1970s to the mid 80s (1973-1986) probably being more Gen Jones oriented?

Subject: Re: Did Gen Jonesers feel distinct from Baby Boomers?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/20 at 11:40 am

Is Jones the generation of Tom Jone?

Written By: Slashpop on 04/10/20 at 12:07 pm

It's the Generation sandwiched between late Baby Boomers and early Gen Xers. It would be those born approx between 1954 to 1964.  I think it's a a more recent term and more American specific but could be wrong.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/10/20 at 12:28 pm

David Bowie's real name  was David Jones. He changed it because, of course, there was already a famous Davy Jones from the Monkees.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/20 at 12:36 pm

It's the Generation sandwiched between late Baby Boomers and early Gen Xers. It would be those born approx between 1954 to 1964.  I think it's a a more recent term and more American specific but could be wrong.

David Bowie's real name  was David Jones. He changed it because, of course, there was already a famous Davy Jones from the Monkees.
Tom Jones once invited himself to a Jones family reunion, but he was refused for Jones in not his real name, it is his stage name, with his real name of Thomas John Woodward, and Jones being his mother's maiden name.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/10/20 at 12:41 pm

Tom Jones once invited himself to a Jones family reunion, but he was refused for Jones in not his real name, it is his stage name, with his real name of Thomas John Woodward, and Jones being his mother's maiden name.

It's actually pretty interesting that David Bowie rid himself of the name Jones, but Tom Woodward took it on.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/20 at 12:48 pm

It's actually pretty interesting that David Bowie rid himself of the name Jones, but Tom Woodward took it on.
Bowie's name change was inspired by his love for U.S. culture and ultimately the 1960 movie The Alamo, which contains the song "The Green Leaves of Summer".

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/10/20 at 12:51 pm

Bowie's name change was inspired by his love for U.S. culture and ultimately the 1960 movie The Alamo, which contains the song "The Green Leaves of Summer".

A hit for the Brothers Four in 1960.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7Kvcy_WhOQ

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/20 at 12:54 pm

A hit for the Brothers Four in 1960.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7Kvcy_WhOQ
I head the music to "The Alamo" this song the other day on the radio and was charmed by it, with music by Dimitri Tiomkin, and the song was nominated for an Academy Award.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/20 at 1:05 pm

True Davy Jones was there first in the name race, and he is one of many a star that appeared in the original London and Broadway productions of Oliver! which include a Tony-nominated performance as the Artful Dodger.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/10/20 at 1:10 pm

I head the music to "The Alamo" this song the other day on the radio and was charmed by it, with music by Dimitri Tiomkin, and the song was nominated for an Academy Award.

There's also a well known folk song known variously as "Remember The Alamo" and just "The Alamo" that has been recorded by everybody and their uncle. Johnny Cash did a well known version, as did the Kingston Trio. I personally like Donovan's version, from his first album in 1965 when he was 18. In the UK the album was called "What's Bin Did and What's Bin Hid" but in the US it was called "Catch the Wind".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jDCOVs3HX4

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/20 at 1:15 pm

There's also a well known folk song known variously as "Remember The Alamo" and just "The Alamo" that has been recorded by everybody and their uncle. Johnny Cash did a well known version, as did the Kingston Trio. I personally like Donovan's version, from his first album in 1965 when he was 18. In the UK the album was called "What's Bin Did and What's Bin Hid" but in the US it was called "Catch the Wind".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jDCOVs3HX4
One song I have think I had not heard before from one of my childhood favourite performers.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/20 at 1:20 pm

https://assets.atlasobscura.com/media/W1siZiIsInVwbG9hZHMvcGxhY2VfaW1hZ2VzLzhhZGJmZDU3MjNmY2VhMGI4YV9EYXZpZF9Cb3dpZV9NdXJhbC5qcGciXSxbInAiLCJ0aHVtYiIsIngzOTA-Il0sWyJwIiwiY29udmVydCIsIi1xdWFsaXR5IDgxIC1hdXRvLW9yaWVudCJdXQ

The mural for David Bowie in Brixton, located in a passageway opposite Brixton Underground Station. I cannot think if there is anything for Davy Jones in London, but there may be a honour to him in Manchester where he was born.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/10/20 at 1:31 pm

https://assets.atlasobscura.com/media/W1siZiIsInVwbG9hZHMvcGxhY2VfaW1hZ2VzLzhhZGJmZDU3MjNmY2VhMGI4YV9EYXZpZF9Cb3dpZV9NdXJhbC5qcGciXSxbInAiLCJ0aHVtYiIsIngzOTA-Il0sWyJwIiwiY29udmVydCIsIi1xdWFsaXR5IDgxIC1hdXRvLW9yaWVudCJdXQ

The mural for David Bowie in Brixton, located in a passageway opposite Brixton Underground Station. I cannot think if there is anything for Davy Jones in London, but there may be a honour to him in Manchester where he was born.

Cool! O0

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/20 at 1:34 pm

Cool! O0
One song David Bowie would never perform live on stage was "The Laughing Gnome" his novelty song from 1967, but the song was always played on radio on children listening shows during the 1960s and 1970s.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/10/20 at 1:49 pm

I believe there is also a plaque at the bandstand in Beckenham where Bowie staged a free festival in 1969 with the Strawbs, Keith Christmas and some others performing. He later wrote "Memories of a Free Festival" about it. To celebrate the 50th anniversary in 2019 Bowie's producer Tony Visconti, Dave Cousins from the Strawbs and some others went back to the bandstand there and performed a few things.

Bowie at Beckenham Free Festival, August 16, 1969:

https://beckenhamhistory.co.uk/images/template-content/bowie2.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/20 at 1:56 pm

I believe there is also a plaque at the bandstand in Beckenham where Bowie staged a free festival in 1969 with the Strawbs, Keith Christmas and some others performing. He later wrote "Memories of a Free Festival" about it. To celebrate the 50th anniversary in 2019 Bowie's producer Tony Visconti, Dave Cousins from the Strawbs and some others went back to the bandstand there and performed a few things.

Would David Bowie had sung "Space Oddity" at that concert?

I went through Beckenham last year, if I had know, photos of the plaque would have been taken.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/10/20 at 2:15 pm

Wow, he looks so "normal" in this picture!  :D

I'm more used to this look -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMYg_Ra4cr8

(Love this tune BTW)

Written By: Howard on 04/10/20 at 2:19 pm

Would I be considered a Generation Jones? ???

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/10/20 at 2:19 pm

I'm more used to this look -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMYg_Ra4cr8

(Love this tune BTW)

It was always said that the song was about Iggy Pop. of course the title is a play on Jean Genet.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/10/20 at 2:25 pm

Here's a song Bowie recorded during that "folksinger" phase in 1969. It circulated as a bootleg for years though I think it has since been released on a box set. It's kind of charming.

David Bowie
"When I'm Five"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeHRYpWzARc

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/10/20 at 2:28 pm

It was always said that the song was about Iggy Pop. of course the title is a play on Jean Genet.

As bizzare-o as the lyrics are, I was never quite sure what it was about (peculiar lyrics were pretty common in our day, though).  So was that something that David Bowie said?  (If not, I still believe it.)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/20 at 2:31 pm

Howard Jones?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/10/20 at 2:31 pm

As bizzare-o as the lyrics are, I was never quite sure what it was about (peculiar lyrics were pretty common in our day, though).  So was that something that David Bowie said?  (If not, I still believe it.)

From Wikipedia:

According to Bowie, it was "a smorgasbord of imagined Americana", with a protagonist inspired by Iggy Pop, and the title being an allusion to author Jean Genet.

They don't source the quote, but I know I saw an interview with him somewhere where he basically says the same thing.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/10/20 at 2:32 pm

Howard Jones?

Love it!!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Written By: Slashpop on 04/10/20 at 2:32 pm

I just read that the birthdates range from this period possibly up to 1965 I think.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/10/20 at 2:40 pm

I just read that the birthdates range from this period possibly up to 1965 I think.

Hey, that would include me!  I always loved David Bowie, but I didn't hear his stuff until Ziggy Stardust.  So I never saw him with that "normal" look.  Here's a great tune from Ziggy Stardust  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL0Vwqm1rGc

Written By: Slashpop on 04/10/20 at 2:45 pm

Hey, that would include me!  I always loved David Bowie, but I didn't hear his stuff until Ziggy Stardust.  So I never saw him with that "normal" look.  Here's a great tune from Ziggy Stardust  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL0Vwqm1rGc

Nice song. What's your take on the original question?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/10/20 at 2:55 pm

I was always intrigued with that strange instrument the stylophone, which Bowie played in "Space Oddity" to get that unique sound. It seems to be almost a children's instrument, sold in places like Woolworths in the UK back in the day, though I don't ever recall them being sold around here.

https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/s--cF48vkfD--/f_auto,t_large/v1549302850/t3q64koxr3oacni3wxfi.jpg

Written By: Howard on 04/10/20 at 2:56 pm

Love it!!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Me Too.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 04/10/20 at 2:57 pm

I think I'm Generation X.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/10/20 at 3:05 pm

I think I'm Generation X.

Of course. Howard X. Jones.  ;D

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/10/20 at 3:15 pm

I was always intrigued with that strange instrument the stylophone, which Bowie played in "Space Oddity" to get that unique sound. It seems to be almost a children's instrument, sold in places like Woolworths in the UK back in the day, though I don't ever recall them being sold around here.

https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/s--cF48vkfD--/f_auto,t_large/v1549302850/t3q64koxr3oacni3wxfi.jpg

Wow, that's crazy!  :o  I don't think I ever saw one of those.  I wonder how widespread it's use was?  Sometimes I don't think folks appreciate what a pioneer he was...

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/20 at 3:20 pm

...we do not talk of Rolf Harris over here...

Written By: Slashpop on 04/10/20 at 3:21 pm

So what do you guys make of the original question ?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/20 at 3:22 pm

Of course. Howard X. Jones.  ;D
He-He!!

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/10/20 at 3:23 pm

Wow, that's crazy!  :o  I don't think I ever saw one of those.  I wonder how widespread it's use was?  Sometimes I don't think folks appreciate what a pioneer he was...

I think they were more widespread in people's homes as toys and curiosities rather than by professional musicians. I also remember that after 9/11 there was a "Concert for America" or some such broadcast and Bowie sang Paul Simon's "America" cross-legged on the stage playing some teeny-tiny keyboard looking instrument. I thought it might be the stylophone but it was something else. So he had a history with unusual instruments. I looked for his "America" on Youtube but I couldn't find it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/20 at 3:27 pm

I remember the ads for the Stylophone on television back in the 60s and 70s and I always wanted one, for it is an easy instrument to play music on.

Written By: Slashpop on 04/10/20 at 3:28 pm

I remember the ads for the Stylophone on television back in the 60s and 70s and I always wanted one, for it is an easy instrument to play music on.

What’s your take on the original question ?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/10/20 at 3:30 pm

I think they were more widespread in people's homes as toys and curiosities rather than by professional musicians. I also remember that after 9/11 there was a "Concert for America" or some such broadcast and Bowie sang Paul Simon's "America" cross-legged on the stage playing some teeny-tiny keyboard looking instrument. I thought it might be the stylophone but it was something else. So he had a history with unusual instruments. I looked for his "America" on Youtube but I couldn't find it.

I love that song America - would've loved hearing Bowie's take.  I recall it wasn't that odd back then to find unusual musical instruments in the strangest places - remember Montgomery Wards?  I recall my parents bought us a "zither" there somewhere around 1970 or so.  It was cool.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/20 at 3:31 pm

What’s your take on the original question ?
Is Jones the generation of Tom Jones?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/10/20 at 3:31 pm

It must have definitely been a UK phenomenon then, because there were no commercials like that here. I would have wanted one!  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/20 at 3:33 pm

It must have definitely been a UK phenomenon then, because there were no commercials like that here. I would have wanted one!  :)
Yes, very popular over here, I can remember a cousin of mine having one.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/10/20 at 3:34 pm

I love that song America - would've loved hearing Bowie's take.  I recall it wasn't that odd back then to find unusual musical instruments in the strangest places - remember Montgomery Wards?  I recall my parents bought us a "zither" there somewhere around 1970 or so.  It was cool.  :)

Yes, all department stores then had musical instrument departments. Pet departments too. I remember Woolworths and some other department stores had not only goldfish but MONKEYS and other such exotic animals. We used to go look at them. I'm sure this would not be allowed now. It must have been somebody's job to take care of them and I'm sure they probably didn't know what they were doing.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/20 at 3:34 pm

I think similar instruments are still available online.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/20 at 3:35 pm

Yes, all department stores then had musical instrument departments. Pet departments too. I remember Woolworths and some other department stores had not only goldfish but MONKEYS and other such exotic animals. We used to go look at them. I'm sure this would not be allowed now. It must have been somebody's job to take care of them and I'm sure they probably didn't know what they were doing.
Woolworth's now there is a memory stirrer

Written By: Slashpop on 04/10/20 at 3:36 pm

Is Jones the generation of Tom Jones?

No this one :

Gen Jones is a recent term. Did anyone of the Gen Jones generation here actually feel distinct from older boomers and Gen X back in the day and today? What are some core differences between Gen Jonesers vs Boomers, especially in relation to pop culture?

I would guess the trends/pop culture of the mid 1970s to the mid 80s (1973-1986) probably being more Gen Jones oriented?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/20 at 3:37 pm

No this one :

Why Jones, who was the Jones it was named after?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/10/20 at 3:41 pm

By the way, the zither's close musical cousin the autoharp, a very "Americana" kind of instrument, was played by John Sebastian in the Lovin' Spoonful on these well known hits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN2FyAoS4Ww

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/10/20 at 3:42 pm

I sure miss Woolworth's.  Mongomery Wards, too!  I remember being a young girl and how thrilled I was to accompany my mom to the big Montgomery Wards "outlet store" building in Chicagp - it had a number of floors and was a thrill to go to all the different departments and poke around the merchandise.  One floor had musical instruments on it and we loved to see all the different offerings - guitars, drums, keyboards and some weird stuff.  I can't think of anything quite like it today...

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/10/20 at 3:43 pm

Henry Jones, of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooR8kq518xs

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/10/20 at 3:44 pm

By the way, the zither's close musical cousin the autoharp, a very "Americana" kind of instrument, was played by John Sebastian in the Lovin' Spoonful on these well known hits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN2FyAoS4Ww

Cool - I recall seeing something about that recently on the "60's song of the day" thread!

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/20 at 3:47 pm

Henry Jones, of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooR8kq518xs

Henry Jones, the poet and dramatist?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/10/20 at 3:48 pm

Henry Jones, the poet and dramatist?

No, Henry Jones the vegetarian.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/10/20 at 3:50 pm

I sure miss Woolworth's.  Mongomery Wards, too!  I remember being a young girl and how thrilled I was to accompany my mom to the big Montgomery Wards "outlet store" building in Chicagp - it had a number of floors and was a thrill to go to all the different departments and poke around the merchandise.  One floor had musical instruments on it and we loved to see all the different offerings - guitars, drums, keyboards and some weird stuff.  I can't think of anything quite like it today...

Yes, there is nothing along the lines of those department stores now. They were treasure troves. They even had restaurants and snack bars in them. Book and record departments. I once tried to explain this to someone much younger and they said it sounded like a mall! There was no way to explain it was nothing like a mall!

Written By: karen on 04/10/20 at 3:51 pm

No this one :

Bless you for trying

Written By: Slashpop on 04/10/20 at 3:52 pm

No just the actual question I posted.

In otherwords:

So is “Gen Jones” a artificial and recent label just describing later boomers or early Gen Xers..

or did you or those born during this period feel a generational difference to boomers and Gen Xers ?

What are some example of Gen Jones pop culture ?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/20 at 3:53 pm

No, Henry Jones the vegetarian.
Was he one of the first vegetarians?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/20 at 3:54 pm

No just the actual question I posted.

In otherwords:

So is “Gen Jones” a artificial and recent label just describing later boomers or early Gen Xers..

or did you or those born during this period feel a generational difference to boomers and Gen Xers ?

What are some example of Gen Jones pop culture ?

But why Jones, not XX, XY, YYY, etc?

Written By: karen on 04/10/20 at 3:54 pm

This other instrument might have been one of the Casio VL keyboards. Do you remember the 80s song Da Da Da by Trio? They use one of these.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/20 at 3:56 pm

But why Jones, not XX, XY, YYY, etc?
XY = Male
XX = Female
YYY = Delilah!

?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/20 at 3:57 pm

This other instrument might have been one of the Casio VL keyboards. Do you remember the 80s song Da Da Da by Trio? They use one of these.
The Casio Keyboard, the for runner of the Hammond Organ?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/10/20 at 3:58 pm

I have told this story before but I'm gonna tell it again. My mother worked in theatre. One show she worked on was The Boyfriend that starred Davy Jones (at the time he wanted to be called "David" not "Davy.") My mother introduced me to him. It was the first time in my life I was speechless.

My mother hosted a cast party at our house. I was so excited that Davy Jones was coming to MY house. (I felt so much like Marcia Brady). But, unfortunately, he couldn't make it. (Don't know why.).  :\'( :\'(  But, who did come to that party was Mary Jo Catlett (Pearl from Diff'rent Strokes and the voice of Mrs. Puff on Spongebob).

Cat

Written By: karen on 04/10/20 at 3:58 pm

My mums first job was in Woolworths and my first job was in Woolworths

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/10/20 at 4:01 pm

LOL, I just heard this song two days ago at my brother's house  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/20 at 4:02 pm

I know several people when at school did work experience at Woolworth's, I was banned by them going into the store when they were on duty.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/20 at 4:03 pm

I have told this story before but I'm gonna tell it again. My mother worked in theatre. One show she worked on was The Boyfriend that starred Davy Jones (at the time he wanted to be called "David" not "Davy.") My mother introduced me to him. It was the first time in my life I was speechless.

My mother hosted a cast party at our house. I was so excited that Davy Jones was coming to MY house. (I felt so much like Marcia Brady). But, unfortunately, he couldn't make it. (Don't know why.).  :\'( :\'(  But, who did come to that party was Mary Jo Catlett (Pearl from Diff'rent Strokes and the voice of Mrs. Puff on Spongebob).

Cat
I thought love was only true in fairy tales?

Written By: karen on 04/10/20 at 4:04 pm

LOL, I just heard this song two days ago at my brother's house  ;D

My eldest brother bought a Casio keyboard and learnt to play that song on it

Written By: Slashpop on 04/10/20 at 4:05 pm

XY = Male
XX = Female
YYY = Delilah!

?

Yeah I have no idea. It is a strange name and apparently it’s not even widespread.

It’s definitely sounds weird and random.

Unless someone identifies as such and cares to elaborate about all this as it was the purpose of the thread.

Written By: Slashpop on 04/10/20 at 4:08 pm

Cat

Was Gen Jones a generational label you guys used back in the day? Was there any difference?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/10/20 at 4:08 pm

From what I gather by talking to a friend in London, the US Woolworths and the UK Woolworths were kind of different. THE US Woolworths had a vast array of merchandise from toys to musical instruments to records to house plants to pets. The clothes, not so great. A lot of old timers here referred to it as "the five and ten" because of it's origins as a store where things cost five and ten cents. Although certainly even when I was young there was nothing that cheap except maybe bubblegum or cheap little plastic toys in a vending machine.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/10/20 at 4:09 pm

Cat

I love this story!! 

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/20 at 4:10 pm

Cat
That must be the same "The Boyfriend" that was made into the a film with Twiggy starring in it?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/20 at 4:10 pm

I love this story!! 
So do I!

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/10/20 at 4:11 pm

The Casio Keyboard, the for runner of the Hammond Organ?

The elegant and majestic Hammond Organ predates the somewhat cheesy sounding electronic Casio by many years, though some people have managed to do some good things with Casio instruments.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/20 at 4:12 pm

First memory of Woolworth's!!!

https://d2qpatdq99d39w.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/11151854/pick-n-mix.jpg

Written By: karen on 04/10/20 at 4:12 pm

From what I gather by talking to a friend in London, the US Woolworths and the UK Woolworths were kind of different. THE US Woolworths had a vast array of merchandise from toys to musical instruments to records to house plants to pets. The clothes, not so great. A lot of old timers here referred to it as "the five and ten" because of it's origins as a store where things cost five and ten cents. Although certainly even when I was young there was nothing that cheap except maybe bubblegum or cheap little plastic toys in a vending machine.

Woolworths in the U.K. sold all sorts as well. The branch I worked in was fairly small, but we sold records, clothes, electrical goods, stationery, some home decorating items, a limited amount of groceries, pick and mix sweets and fresh meats and cheeses (I worked on this bit)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/20 at 4:13 pm

https://d2qpatdq99d39w.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/11151854/pick-n-mix.jpg
Hang on there, Woolworths does not have an apostrophe in it?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/10/20 at 4:14 pm

That must be the same "The Boyfriend" that was made into the a film with Twiggy starring in it?

Yes it was. Julie Andrews was in the original.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/20 at 4:15 pm

Yes it was. Julie Andrews was in the original.

Cat
On Broadway?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/10/20 at 4:16 pm

Woolworths in the U.K. sold all sorts as well. The branch I worked in was fairly small, but we sold records, clothes, electrical goods, stationery, some home decorating items, a limited amount of groceries, pick and mix sweets and fresh meats and cheeses (I worked on this bit)

Definitely sounds more similar than I thought. I thought the UK Woolworths was more of a clothing store.

Written By: karen on 04/10/20 at 4:16 pm

Hang on there, Woolworths does not have an apostrophe in it?

When I first started there in the mid 80s it was registered as F.W. Woolworth plc. I remember because we had to ask people to write that name on any cheques.

Then at some point they changed and became just Woolworths.

Hazy memories from Business Studies o level regarding differences between plc and limited companies

Written By: Slashpop on 04/10/20 at 4:21 pm

Definitely sounds more similar than I thought. I thought the UK Woolworths was more of a clothing store.

So what is your take on my original  question ?

Written By: karen on 04/10/20 at 4:24 pm

It was well known for it’s clothing, particularly children’s clothing.

But also it’s record section and the pick and mix sweets as Philip mentioned. Also in the seventies they sold loose biscuits (cookies) by weight in flavours that nowhere else sold.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/20 at 4:25 pm

When I first started there in the mid 80s it was registered as F.W. Woolworth plc. I remember because we had to ask people to write that name on any cheques.

Then at some point they changed and became just Woolworths.

Hazy memories from Business Studies o level regarding differences between plc and limited companies
p = public?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/10/20 at 4:26 pm

Love this! They had mix 'n match candy at Woolworths here too.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/20 at 4:28 pm

Love this! They had mix 'n match candy at Woolworths here too.
Especially for that sweet tooth?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/10/20 at 4:31 pm

I'm a candy monster - Woolworth's was a great place to buy kiddie candy!  I remember shopping there for fabric sometimes - Woolworth's fabric, by and large, tended towards the cheap - but occasionally I'd find some good stuff there.

Incidentally (and I'm a bit ashamed to say) I was pulling through the back of a closet and found a plastic bag with a hat in it - the bag was labeled "Woolworth Express" - with no "'s".

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/20 at 4:33 pm

XY = Male
XX = Female
YYY = Delilah!

?
Forgive Delilah, I just cannot take anymore.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/10/20 at 4:35 pm

On Broadway?

Yes, it was her Broadway debut in 1954.

Cat

Written By: Slashpop on 04/10/20 at 4:37 pm

Forgive Delilah, I just cannot take anymore.

Take what ?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/10/20 at 4:38 pm

I'm a candy monster - Woolworth's was a great place to buy kiddie candy!  I remember shopping there for fabric sometimes - Woolworth's fabric, by and large, tended towards the cheap - but occasionally I'd find some good stuff there.

Incidentally (and I'm a bit ashamed to say) I was pulling through the back of a closet and found a plastic bag with a hat in it - the bag was labeled "Woolworth Express" - with no "'s".

I still have some Christmas ornaments still in their (now very ragged) Woolworth boxes. Probably worth a few bucks now. They were a great place for Christmas ornaments too.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/10/20 at 4:40 pm

Take what ?

This.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvo5SeAwz88

Written By: Slashpop on 04/10/20 at 4:42 pm

This.

I believed I asked a perfectly legitimate question.

Not sure why it has been ignored and disregarded in such a manner.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/20 at 4:43 pm

It was 11 years ago that Woolworths ceased trading.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/12/08/article-1092819-02BB8610000005DC-638_468x350.jpg
The Camerons outside their local Woolworths store in West London.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/20 at 4:44 pm

This.

For me, probably he best song, used to try and sing it on Karaoke.

Written By: karen on 04/10/20 at 4:45 pm

I still have some Christmas ornaments still in their (now very ragged) Woolworth boxes. Probably worth a few bucks now. They were a great place for Christmas ornaments too.

A few years ago we moved to the States on a temporary thing with my husband’s work.

Although we knew we would be there for three years or so for some reason we didn’t take our Christmas decorations. We found a huge fake tree in the basement of the house we were renting and I think it had lights already on it. I wanted some baubles and things but didn’t want to pay too much money as we had loads packed away in storage.

I went to a library sale at a tiny local library and amongst all the books were some boxes of random donated items to help fundraise. I found three trays of baubles from Woolworths. Vintage baubles still in the original boxes and I paid like a dollar or two for them. We brought them back with us and I still use some of them on our tree here

Cat is the antiques expert. Are these things worth much?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/10/20 at 4:47 pm

It was 11 years ago that Woolworths ceased trading.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/12/08/article-1092819-02BB8610000005DC-638_468x350.jpg
The Camerons outside their local Woolworths store in West London.

The last Woolworths closed here in about 1993. Incidentally, in some US cities there was a Woolworth offshoot called "Woolco", but I never saw one.

Written By: Slashpop on 04/10/20 at 4:48 pm

Sorry the original question is 100% valid and legitimate.

Seems like the thread has gone off topic both unintentional and intentionally.

If it doesn’t go on topic will have to lock.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/20 at 4:50 pm

The last Woolworths closed here in about 1993. Incidentally, in some US cities there was a Woolworth offshoot called "Woolco", but I never saw one.
Shopping online lasted longer, 2015.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/10/20 at 4:53 pm

Vintage Christmas ornaments are usually collector items. We have sold quite a bit. And if you have the original boxes-even better. Of course the better the condition the boxes are in, the more $$ they are worth.

Can't remember the last time I went into a Woolworth's. Of course they have gone the way of Grants, Grand Way, Zayre's, Bradley's, Caldor, & Ames (to name just a few of them).

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...