inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Gen Jones Question ( Reclarification)

Written By: Slashpop on 04/11/20 at 4:30 am

Hello,

So for whatever reason the previous thread went off topic. To simplify the question if that helps: (even though it was already clear and structured)

Gen Jones is regarded by a variety of sources as a generation of people born between 1954 to 1965. A lot of people born during these years state they just thought of themselves as boomers or gen xers, and weren't familar with this term.

If you were born during this time, did you identity as a Gen Joneser or does this feel like an unknown and artificial label ? 

If you do, are there certain traits or things etc associated with it to you ? (much like other generations)

It seems there are varied and conflicting opinions on this topic and so that's why it would be interesting to hear your perspectives.
Out of respect to the original post and questions, please stay on topic, don't want to have to lock the thread. Thank you!  :)

Subject: Re: Gen Jones Question ( Reclarification)

Written By: wagonman76 on 04/11/20 at 10:28 am

This is the first I’ve heard of a Gen Jones. Is there something special about being born in those 2 years?

Written By: karen on 04/11/20 at 10:48 am

This is the first I’ve heard of a Gen Jones. Is there something special about being born in those 2 years?

It’s a typo I think. Fairly sure he meant to type 1954 to 1965.

I agree that it not a term that I had heard of before.

To the original poster something to try and grasp is that these labels were added recently so people didn’t identify as a Boomer, Gen Jones or Gen X at the time because the concept didn’t exist.

Also these labels are very sweeping generalisations of things people supposedly identify with based on their year of birth. But in real life you are a product of so much more than that. I listened to, watched on tv, wore things because my parents did so, my older brothers did so, etc.etc.

I honestly think the current generation seem to be the only ones who go around now living and doing some things “because people of our generation do this”. And this did not used to happen

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/11/20 at 11:28 am

To the original poster something to try and grasp is that these labels were added recently so people didn’t identify as a Boomer, Gen Jones or Gen X at the time because the concept didn’t exist.

Also these labels are very sweeping generalisations of things people supposedly identify with based on their year of birth. But in real life you are a product of so much more than that. I listened to, watched on tv, wore things because my parents did so, my older brothers did so, etc.etc.

I honestly think the current generation seem to be the only ones who go around now living and doing some things “because people of our generation do this”. And this did not used to happen

Karen is correct. We were unfettered by labels back then. It was a time of liberation and the LAST thing anybody wanted was a label hung on them.

Excellent point, by the way, about the current generation(s) doing things simply because "that's what we do". This is likely an unfortunate by-product of social media.

Written By: Slashpop on 04/11/20 at 11:42 am

I agree to some degree. But a lot of people do consider themselves baby boomers quite often for some reason also millennial and gen xers are widely used terms for decades.

But I agree not everyone fits into labels especially those with stereotypes of whats associated with those labels

I was just curious to also know who does infact identify with the gen jones label and if there was a felt difference regardless of terms between those born in 54 to 65 and  boomers and gen xers. 

Written By: 2001 on 04/11/20 at 11:44 am

Karen is correct. We were unfettered by labels back then. It was a time of liberation and the LAST thing anybody wanted was a label hung on them.

Excellent point, by the way, about the current generation(s) doing things simply because "that's what we do". This is likely an unfortunate by-product of social media.

I don't think we do it because our generation does it. We do it because our friends do it, same as previous generations. Social media probably does play a role with which the speed trends catch on. That's both good and bad.

Written By: karen on 04/11/20 at 1:39 pm

I don't think we do it because our generation does it. We do it because our friends do it, same as previous generations. Social media probably does play a role with which the speed trends catch on. That's both good and bad.

I guess that is a bit more what I meant. Social media influences the cultural movement practically worldwide, but previously trends took longer to spread and weren’t necessarily international.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/11/20 at 1:58 pm

Ok, just because you didn't like where the conversation went in the last thread, you locked it and started over. Once you throw something out there, you have no control as to where it will go. So, I am going to lock this thread and if you want to talk about it, unlock your last thread.

AND DO NOT START ANOTHER THREAD ON THE SAME TOPIC!!!!

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...