inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Cat Stevens redoes "Tea For The Tillerman" 50 years on

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/29/20 at 11:51 am

Read the article here:

https://bestclassicbands.com/cat-stevens-tillerman-50th-anniversary-edition-5-28-20/

To mark the 50th anniversary of his iconic "Tea For The Tillerman", Yusef a/k/a Cat Stevens has re-recorded the entire album.

From the May 28 announcement:

"The album cover of T4TT² illustrates the same picturesque ‘Tea-Time’ scene that adorned the original album, fifty years later. The Tillerman has returned from an expedition to outer space only to discover a world that has become decidedly darker. The two toddlers, Grady and Timmy, are still playing next to him – this time streaming the latest music and gaming on their mobile phones."

I'm not sure I agree with this. It's truly a case of "tampering with thee classics".  The new version of "Where Do the Children Play" (it can be heard in the article provided above) confirms my fears. The opening keyboard sounds artificial. The original album was so organic. (As were all albums in 1970). Although his weary voice is certainly that of a much older, much more experienced man who has traveled many a mile with these songs, rather than the 22 year old spiritual seeker who originally wrote and recorded them.

By the way, who knew the two children illustrated on the original iconic cover were named "Grady" and "Timmy"?

Subject: Re: Cat Stevens redoes "Tea For The Tillerman" 50 years on

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/29/20 at 12:33 pm

I am looking forward to listening to this, for "Tea For The Tillerman" was one of the first CDs I was to buy, (along with Cat Stevens Greatest Hits and Everly Brothers Greatest Hits), and "Father and Son" is a pure classic and, not now, my son and I would sing it in duet on karaoke.

Subject: Cat Stevens redoes "Tea For The Tillerman" 50 years on

Written By: Dude111 on 06/20/20 at 7:20 am

I bet it sounds like sterile digital crap.....

Quite sad...... I have the original album and its goregous :)

Check for new replies or respond here...