inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: France Joli

Written By: violet_shy on 08/05/20 at 7:16 pm

I LOVE music from the late 70s(1976 to 1979). Anyone listen to France Joli. I think her music was beautiful!

SMVqAJcX9I4

Subject: Re: France Joli

Written By: Howard on 08/06/20 at 7:24 am

I LOVE music from the late 70s(1976 to 1979). Anyone listen to France Joli. I think her music was beautiful!

SMVqAJcX9I4

I love her music from that time period.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6DoA-xsc18

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/07/20 at 11:18 am

I wasn't too familiar with her.

LOL, when I clicked on the YouTube, I was expecting to hear a tender ballad - and I what I got instead is Disco!  ;D

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/07/20 at 11:34 am

LOL, when I clicked on the YouTube, I was expecting to hear a tender ballad - and I what I got instead is Disco!  ;D

I never heard of her either. Of course I did everything I could to avoid disco in any way, shape or form but I still knew the names and her's wasn't one of them. You'd think I would have noticed such an obviously fake sounding name as "France Joli" except I looked her up and that's her actual name save for changing the "y" in her last name Joly to an "i".

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/07/20 at 11:37 am

I am in the same boat I have never heard of her too, and it appears she has not had a hit record in the UK.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/07/20 at 11:46 am

I am in the same boat I have never heard of her too, and it appears she has not had a hit record in the UK.

She lacked Jelly Shoes. Feed her some lichen.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/07/20 at 11:47 am

She lacked Jelly Shoes. Feed her some lichen.
...and needed to have a pet Marmot?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/07/20 at 12:44 pm

...and needed to have a pet Marmot?

The marmot's in the Jelly Bag.

Written By: Howard on 08/07/20 at 2:15 pm

I think she recorded a few ballads.

Written By: Howard on 08/07/20 at 2:17 pm

I think she was popular in The U.S.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/07/20 at 2:26 pm

She was popular among marmots.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/07/20 at 2:31 pm

According to my reference, she had a Billboard Top 20 hit in late 1979, called Come To Me.  A Disco song, but I don't recall it (as I did listen to some Disco during that timeframe).

Written By: Howard on 08/07/20 at 2:55 pm

According to my reference, she had a Billboard Top 20 hit in late 1979, called Come To Me.  A Disco song, but I don't recall it (as I did listen to some Disco during that timeframe).

When did you stop listening to disco?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/07/20 at 11:16 pm

When did you stop listening to disco?

I never completely stopped  :-\\

My interest in listening to Disco waned as my interest in other music grew; furthermore I'd come to the realization that a lot of Disco isn't terribly "listenable" unless I'm dancing to it (dancing to Disco is something I did a ton until I left University in 1980).  I'll pull out my Disco records occasionally, usually if I want to digitize a sequence for my mp3 player (great to play while doing noisy chores), or if I'm just feeling nostalgic for that era.

Written By: Howard on 08/08/20 at 7:27 am

I never completely stopped  :-\\

My interest in listening to Disco waned as my interest in other music grew; furthermore I'd come to the realization that a lot of Disco isn't terribly "listenable" unless I'm dancing to it (dancing to Disco is something I did a ton until I left University in 1980).  I'll pull out my Disco records occasionally, usually if I want to digitize a sequence for my mp3 player (great to play while doing noisy chores), or if I'm just feeling nostalgic for that era.

Do you have internet radio you listen to? There are plenty of them where you can listen to oldies stations all the time.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/08/20 at 7:33 am

Do you have internet radio you listen to? There are plenty of them where you can listen to oldies stations all the time.

I listen to Jelly Shoes.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/08/20 at 7:35 am

I listen to Jelly Shoes.
Tap your feet to the beat.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/08/20 at 7:40 am

Tap your feet to the beat.

And eat lichen.

Written By: Howard on 08/08/20 at 8:00 am

I listen to Jelly Shoes.

I was asking AG, not you.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/08/20 at 8:16 am

I was asking AG, not you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zANvYB93u2g

Written By: whistledog on 09/07/20 at 12:07 pm

France Joli is from Montreal.  Come to Me was her only mainstream hit in both the US and Canada, but she had further success on the US Dance chart (what was then called the Disco Action chart)

Written By: Howard on 09/07/20 at 1:09 pm

France Joli is from Montreal.  Come to Me was her only mainstream hit in both the US and Canada, but she had further success on the US Dance chart (what was then called the Disco Action chart)

Didn't she have any hits during the 1980's?  ???

Written By: whistledog on 09/11/20 at 7:11 pm

Didn't she have any hits during the 1980's?  ???

She did, but not anything anyone would really remember unless they were big into dance clubs.  Feel like dancing reached #3 on the US Dance chart in 1980 and Gonna get over you reached #2 on that chart in 1982

Written By: Howard on 09/12/20 at 4:00 am

She did, but not anything anyone would really remember unless they were big into dance clubs.  Feel like dancing reached #3 on the US Dance chart in 1980 and Gonna get over you reached #2 on that chart in 1982

How about "I Wanna Take A Chance On Love"?

Written By: whistledog on 09/12/20 at 6:27 pm

How about "I Wanna Take A Chance On Love"?

Uncharted

Check for new replies or respond here...