inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Funky video formats of the 70s!

Written By: fusefan on 10/02/20 at 5:03 pm

We all know about the VHS vs Betamax war that started in the late 70s

But those of you old enough to remember: what’s your experience with these forgotten video formats..

Cartivision:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXEiJ1e6Iqk

U-matic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itd2A5zJsxU

Subject: Re: Funky video formats of the 70s!

Written By: fusefan on 10/02/20 at 5:05 pm

Part 2 (keeping it within the 2 videos a post rule)

V-Cord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXaU7gtEGM8

VX

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOiwnH2yPM0

Written By: fusefan on 10/02/20 at 5:07 pm

Video 2000 I think this is 80s but it’s funky!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeSz6MoX00Q

Or what about a reel to reel video machine?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Hfym0zCvpc

Written By: fusefan on 10/02/20 at 5:17 pm

Phillips VCR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC_CLEQnM8w

Telefunken TED (not a videotape format but really funky)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkP4ZJnMVOs

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/02/20 at 11:54 pm

Interesting.  Having lived thru the 70's as a teen, I can say that until perhaps very late in the decade, most average Joes didn't own a video recorder.  (I'm certain that some well-to-do gadget lovers owned video recorders in the mid to late 70's but the technology was neither mature enough nor cost effective for the masses then.)

The one video recorder I recall from the mid-70's was owned by my high school.  I'm pretty sure they used for sports recordings (like football, likely shot with a video camera) and some for-classroom documentary type material, but its use was limited to what the school needed.  I never touched it - I recall looking at it, though.  On the other hand, it is also possible that some of the college dormitory lounges at U or M (where there were TVs) had video machines, too, but I neither saw nor operated them there.  I'm not 100% on that anyway.

Written By: fusefan on 10/03/20 at 12:09 pm

Interesting.  Having lived thru the 70's as a teen, I can say that until perhaps very late in the decade, most average Joes didn't own a video recorder.  (I'm certain that some well-to-do gadget lovers owned video recorders in the mid to late 70's but the technology was neither mature enough nor cost effective for the masses then.)

The one video recorder I recall from the mid-70's was owned by my high school.  I'm pretty sure they used for sports recordings (like football, likely shot with a video camera) and some for-classroom documentary type material, but its use was limited to what the school needed.  I never touched it - I recall looking at it, though.  On the other hand, it is also possible that some of the college dormitory lounges at U or M (where there were TVs) had video machines, too, but I neither saw nor operated them there.  I'm not 100% on that anyway.

I guess the equivalent to my generation would be someone having an HDTV in like 2001. They existed but nobody I knew had them then.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/03/20 at 12:22 pm

I don't think I saw one until the early 80s. And the first ones I saw were for rent, not for sale.

Written By: fusefan on 10/03/20 at 7:18 pm

I’d say the person who shot these videos is pretty well to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gm3QKVg7co

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_pdYuJDrcI

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/04/20 at 5:16 am

I don't think I saw one until the early 80s. And the first ones I saw were for rent, not for sale.
I am still trying to figure out when we brought our first video player, it must had been in the early 1980s.

Written By: karen on 10/04/20 at 8:22 am

We rented a video recorder from about 1984/5. My brother Stuart and I paid for it as my parents didn’t think they needed one.

Written By: Howard on 10/04/20 at 1:26 pm

I am still trying to figure out when we brought our first video player, it must had been in the early 1980s.

I think our Family didn't have a VCR till the mid 1980's.

Written By: wagonman76 on 10/04/20 at 2:24 pm

I thought we got one in 85 but it was actually 87. My aunt had a vcr and camcorder in the early 80s but she always had cutting edge stuff. She had a dishwasher in her travel trailer before we had one in our house.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/04/20 at 2:34 pm

I think our Family didn't have a VCR till the mid 1980's
I can remember buying a video of a Muppet's film before 1983, and it was purchased in a shop near my work then, and it was in 1983 when I changed my work location.

Written By: Howard on 10/05/20 at 1:22 pm

I can remember buying a video of a Muppet's film before 1983, and it was purchased in a shop near my work then, and it was in 1983 when I changed my work location.

I can remember when My Father taped We Are The World from HBO in July Of 1985.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/05/20 at 1:34 pm

I can remember when My Father taped We Are The World from HBO in July Of 1985.

I taped the entire of Live Aid. Or at least the acts I liked. I still can't believe the fake rewritten history of today that Queen's performance was the second coming, the end all be all, the alpha and omega, the biggest thing that ever happened in life. Bullocks! It was just one more performance that day and it came and went with all the others. Lots of other performances got a LOT more attention, including the somewhat mediocre Led Zeppelin reunion, and Mick Jagger & Tina Turner's dynamic duo performance. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/05/20 at 5:27 pm

I was so happy when we got a VCR so I could record my soap when I was at work.  ;D ;D ;D

I used to say that the person who invented the VCR was a soap watcher.

Cat

Written By: Jaydawg89 on 10/05/20 at 6:37 pm

My family never got a VCR until 1985.

Written By: fusefan on 10/05/20 at 7:48 pm

My family never got a VCR until 1985.

My dad said he first got a VCR in 1983. And when he first married my mom in 1989 she had a Betamax! She got rid of it shortly afterwards. I have to ask my mom when she first got that Betamax.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/06/20 at 5:59 am

I was so happy when we got a VCR so I could record my soap when I was at work.  ;D ;D ;D

I used to say that the person who invented the VCR was a soap watcher.

Cat
Once I get to see our video tapes again, see what is recorded on them will help me to figure out the date when we first purchase a video player, first we had Betamax, follcwed by VHS.

Written By: Howard on 10/06/20 at 7:29 am

Once I get to see our video tapes again, see what is recorded on them will help me to figure out the date when we first purchase a video player, first we had Betamax, follcwed by VHS.

I have so many tapes on my shelf and after so many years of taping shows off of television, sometimes I don't know what's on them until you've watched them afterwards.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/06/20 at 7:32 am

I have so many tapes on my shelf and after so many years of taping shows off of television, sometimes I don't know what's on them until you've watched them afterwards.
Most of our tapes are labeled, so will we will know what is on them.

Written By: robby76 on 10/06/20 at 8:57 am

We had Betamax in the late 70s. Only a few videos in our collection though. I remember having "Last of the Mohicans" (the cartoon).

We also had a projector with some short film reels - stuff like Mary Poppins, Snow White etc. My mum used to bring the projector into my kindergarten to show the kids in class.

Written By: wagonman76 on 10/06/20 at 9:37 am

I knew a family who moved here in the early 90s and they had probably a couple hundred beta movies on the shelf along with a player.

Written By: robby76 on 10/06/20 at 10:16 am

Ah found it! From 1975 by Hanna Barbera...

-epjl_ec8pM

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/06/20 at 1:23 pm

My dad swore by his Betamax. He thought it was better quality than VHS. When he passed away, I sold his machine (that was still working) but didn't have any tapes to go with it.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/06/20 at 1:28 pm

My dad swore by his Betamax. He thought it was better quality than VHS. When he passed away, I sold his machine (that was still working) but didn't have any tapes to go with it.

Cat
I believe that television said that Betamax had better quality, then VHS became more popular and cheaper to run.

Written By: Howard on 10/06/20 at 1:40 pm

Most of our tapes are labeled, so will we will know what is on them.

I think the first thing I taped was over 30 years ago.

Written By: Howard on 10/06/20 at 1:42 pm

Cat

Cat, How much did you sell it for?

Written By: karen on 10/07/20 at 4:24 pm

I believe that television said that Betamax had better quality, then VHS became more popular and cheaper to run.

It had a better higher fidelity recording ability. In my first job my boss had previously worked as an electrician and dabbled in tv and video repair. He once showed us all how the two machines differed in the way the recording heads went onto the tape. I don’t remember the exact details,  but the Betamax had more recording heads I think. It also had a more complex tape feed, which is why they cost a bit more.

Written By: Howard on 10/08/20 at 7:34 am

How do you guys feel about an 8-Track Player?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/93/91/e0/9391e0f6a8d5f07e24f316b904c63bab.jpg

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/08/20 at 8:02 am

How do you  feel about an 8-Track Player?

Hated them. 8-Tracks were a clunky and inconvenient format. They only moved in one direction. You couldn't rewind them (or fast forward, I forget which), and the worst thing of all (and the one thing that EVERYBODY brings up about them) is that they changed tracks in the MIDDLE of a song with a loud and annoying noise. It was just a most impractical format and the shape made them hard to store. Revisionist history has it that everybody was using these things in the 70s and they have somehow become symbolic of that era,  but it simply isn't true. No hip people would be caught dead with them and it was a format that was essentially obsolete from the beginning. Almost from the start they were relegated to use by old people who had 8-track players in their Buicks and listened to Mantovani and Lawrence Welk.

I know there will be people chiming in here saying that they DID listen to 8-tracks, or their families did, and I'm not disputing that. But the revisionist history of how wide spread they were in the 1970s is not accurate. Nobody really liked those things. But everybody HAD an 8-track player because so many units were "all in one" back then and came with turntable/radio/8-track player. So it may have seemed more people were utilizing 8-tracks than really were. A bit later a cassette function would replace the 8-track function in these all-in-ones.

Having said that, there is a small group of enthusiasts who enjoy collecting 8-tracks to this day. We have even had some here on this forum. I have no problem with that per se, but it doesn't change the fact that it was never really a very popular format in the first place.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/08/20 at 8:47 am

Looks too cumbersome for toady's standards.

Written By: fusefan on 10/08/20 at 9:00 am

I’d like them better if the foil splice didn’t come apart when I try to play them.

I like this better

http://museumofmagneticsoundrecording.org/images/R2R/vinPioneerRT707c.jpg

Written By: fusefan on 10/08/20 at 9:02 am

Hated them. 8-Tracks were a clunky and inconvenient format. They only moved in one direction. You couldn't rewind them (or fast forward, I forget which), and the worst thing of all (and the one thing that EVERYBODY brings up about them) is that they changed tracks in the MIDDLE of a song with a loud and annoying noise. It was just a most impractical format and the shape made them hard to store. Revisionist history has it that everybody was using these things in the 70s and they have somehow become symbolic of that era,  but it simply isn't true. No hip people would be caught dead with them and it was a format that was essentially obsolete from the beginning. Almost from the start they were relegated to use by old people who had 8-track players in their Buicks and listened to Mantovani and Lawrence Welk.

I know there will be people chiming in here saying that they DID listen to 8-tracks, or their families did, and I'm not disputing that. But the revisionist history of how wide spread they were in the 1970s is not accurate. Nobody really liked those things. But everybody HAD an 8-track player because so many units were "all in one" back then and came with turntable/radio/8-track player. So it may have seemed more people were utilizing 8-tracks than really were. A bit later a cassette function would replace the 8-track function in these all-in-ones.

Having said that, there is a small group of enthusiasts who enjoy collecting 8-tracks to this day. We have even had some here on this forum. I have no problem with that per se, but it doesn't change the fact that it was never really a very popular format in the first place.

I don’t have the temperament to fix them when the foil splice breaks on them. They are STUPIDLY easy to unravel if you even get the case apart!

Written By: wagonman76 on 10/08/20 at 9:23 am

I only had ones that were given to me. And a couple stereos with a player. Due to the design, it was impossible to rewind, the tape pulled out of the center like a ball of yarn then wrapped it back up on the outside. The good ones I dubbed to cassette until I found them on CD.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/08/20 at 9:55 am

I only had ones that were given to me. And a couple stereos with a player. Due to the design, it was impossible to rewind, the tape pulled out of the center like a ball of yarn then wrapped it back up on the outside. The good ones I dubbed to cassette until I found them on CD.

I also seem to recall they often had a hum or hiss.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/08/20 at 10:20 am

I had a few 8-Tracks and two different 8-Track recorders plus a couple standalone players.  Besides playing them, I also made a few "roll your own" 8-tracks.  My take is, the format wasn't 100% horrible and had some pluses, but overall it proved to be a difficult format for the masses, for reasons already stated.  And indeed switching tracks mid-song was quite the annoyance.

I also seem to recall they often had a hum or hiss.

"Hum" may have been dependent on the player you were playing the tapes on; I don't know.  As for hiss, this is an area where 8-Tracks are inherently better than cassettes - the speed of the tape movement gives the 8-Track a technological advantage.  However, in regards to cassette hiss, the answer came in the form of Dolby Noise Reduction, which was made available mid-70s.  This technology didn't eliminate tape hiss but caused hiss to be reduced during playback - if playback occurred on Dolby capable players.  Prior to this, cassettes were regarded a lo-fidelity tape medium, mostly due to (1) uncontrollable hiss, and (2) the prevalence of inferior tape formulations (which improved greatly after the introduction of Dolby noise reduction).

Dolby noise reduction has two types - "B" and "C".  "B" was an earlier version and by far the most prevalent.  However when "C" was introduced, it was considered by audiophiles to be the superior noise reduction technology.  "C" never caught on as a playback option for the masses though (ala boomboxes and cheaper stereos) so it became somewhat obsolete.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/08/20 at 11:17 am

I had a few 8-Tracks and two different 8-Track recorders plus a couple standalone players.  Besides playing them, I also made a few "roll your own" 8-tracks. 

I don't think I ever saw an 8-track recorder and I definitely never saw a home recorded 8-track tape. Judging by everything else about them, they were probably a pain tor record onto.

Written By: wagonman76 on 10/08/20 at 1:28 pm

I always preferred to leave the noise reduction off. I preferred the hiss, compared to knowing I was missing a little bit of the sonic spectrum. To me the hiss was something that captured the times, similar to the clicks and pops and static of records.

Written By: Howard on 10/08/20 at 1:37 pm

Looks too cumbersome for toady's standards.

Wasn't it the same as a cassette player?  ???

Written By: Howard on 10/08/20 at 1:41 pm

I had a few 8-Tracks and two different 8-Track recorders plus a couple standalone players.  Besides playing them, I also made a few "roll your own" 8-tracks.  My take is, the format wasn't 100% horrible and had some pluses, but overall it proved to be a difficult format for the masses, for reasons already stated.  And indeed switching tracks mid-song was quite the annoyance.

"Hum" may have been dependent on the player you were playing the tapes on; I don't know.  As for hiss, this is an area where 8-Tracks are inherently better than cassettes - the speed of the tape movement gives the 8-Track a technological advantage.  However, in regards to cassette hiss, the answer came in the form of Dolby Noise Reduction, which was made available mid-70s.  This technology didn't eliminate tape hiss but caused hiss to be reduced during playback - if playback occurred on Dolby capable players.  Prior to this, cassettes were regarded a lo-fidelity tape medium, mostly due to (1) uncontrollable hiss, and (2) the prevalence of inferior tape formulations (which improved greatly after the introduction of Dolby noise reduction).

Dolby noise reduction has two types - "B" and "C".  "B" was an earlier version and by far the most prevalent.  However when "C" was introduced, it was considered by audiophiles to be the superior noise reduction technology.  "C" never caught on as a playback option for the masses though (ala boomboxes and cheaper stereos) so it became somewhat obsolete.

I think I can remember that 2XL used 8-Track tapes, that was about 41, 42 years ago.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/GMqy87LKahE/maxresdefault.jpg

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/08/20 at 1:49 pm

Wasn't it the same as a cassette player?  ???

Yes, the component itself was about he same size as a cassette player of the time. It was those damn bulky 8-tracks that were an inconvenient size in addition to all their other shortcomings. As a "mid century" type person myself I actually like the design of the player with it's knobs and meters and dials. I love knobs and meters and dials. They have gone by the wayside now, replaced by touch screens.

Written By: fusefan on 10/08/20 at 11:24 pm

I would love to get my hands one one of these. They’re like a cassette on steroids! But getting an even non working one is really pricy!  :o But regular cassette formulas got better (especially type IV metal tapes which are expensive even today) making them obsolete.

http://www.preservationsound.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Elcaset_Deck.jpg

http://www.preservationsound.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Elcaset_tape.jpg

Written By: Howard on 10/09/20 at 7:29 am

I would love to get my hands one one of these. They’re like a cassette on steroids! But getting an even non working one is really pricy!  :o But regular cassette formulas got better (especially type IV metal tapes which are expensive even today) making them obsolete.

http://www.preservationsound.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Elcaset_Deck.jpg

http://www.preservationsound.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Elcaset_tape.jpg

How much are they going for?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/11/20 at 1:35 pm

Cat, How much did you sell it for?

Can't remember.

UGH! The worst format EVER! As Voiceofthe70s said, you couldn't fast forward nor rewind them. You could only switch the different tracks. And the absolute worst when they switched tracks in the middle of a song. To this day, I can STILL hear the tracks switch on songs we had on 8-Track. (I can also STILL hear skips in records that we used to have.)

Cat

Written By: wagonman76 on 10/11/20 at 1:50 pm

Can't remember.

UGH! The worst format EVER! As Voiceofthe70s said, you couldn't fast forward nor rewind them. You could only switch the different tracks. And the absolute worst when they switched tracks in the middle of a song. To this day, I can STILL hear the tracks switch on songs we had on 8-Track. (I can also STILL hear skips in records that we used to have.)

Cat

The one I had you could fast forward but it wasn’t as fast as a cassette. Maybe 2-3x play speed. Due to the design, any faster would probably rip the tape.

I can still hear the bad spots in my mixtapes and other tapes that got damaged.

Written By: Howard on 10/11/20 at 2:09 pm

Can't remember.

Cat

So you had no choice but to listen to the song.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/11/20 at 2:18 pm

Cat

Me too! Even when listening to CDs or streaming now I still anticipate/hear where the skips used to be on my old records. It's ingrained in me! We used to listen to those records over and over, skips and all.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/12/20 at 4:35 am

Me too! Even when listening to CDs or streaming now I still anticipate/hear where the skips used to be on my old records. It's ingrained in me! We used to listen to those records over and over, skips and all.
Indeed, back in the mid-1970s I used to frequent a pub where a juke provided the background music, and on one record "The House of the Rising Sun" always got stuck and jumped, like you I anticipate the skips when I here the record on the radio. The youth do not know what they are missing. The landlord of the pub, used to get jokingly fed up with it.

Written By: Howard on 10/13/20 at 7:40 am

Sometimes I'd play a record and listen to it on either slow speed or chipmunk speed (78). ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...