inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Bob Dole in a Ford wins in 1976 scenario?

Written By: andersenb11775 on 11/08/20 at 9:27 am

A few less gaffes/tighter campaign and Gerry Ford narrowly beats Carter. What happens to the now Vice-President Dole in 1980?

Subject: Re: Bob Dole in a Ford wins in 1976 scenario?

Written By: nally on 11/26/20 at 10:54 am

Oh yes, Bob Dole was Ford's running mate in '76 (rather than incumbent VP Nelson Rockerfeller, who'd been appointed after the presidential resignation of Nixon).

What happens to the now Vice-President Dole in 1980?

Well, since Ford wouldn't have been eligible to run again, maybe Mr. Dole would've won the Republican nomination instead of Reagan?

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/06/21 at 2:24 pm

Oh yes, Bob Dole was Ford's running mate in '76 (rather than incumbent VP Nelson Rockerfeller, who'd been appointed after the presidential resignation of Nixon).

Well, since Ford wouldn't have been eligible to run again, maybe Mr. Dole would've won the Republican nomination instead of Reagan?

My thinking is that since Reagan came so close to clinching the nomination in 1976, he'd be the frontrunner in '80 anyway even if Ford won. It'd be a contest of Reagan v. Dole, and given Reagan's natural charisma I see him coming out ahead. Maybe it ends up being Reagan v. Ted Kennedy in 1980.

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/06/21 at 2:27 pm

Fun fact:

Gerald Ford was Reagan's first choice for running mate in 1980. Ford was approached by Reagan's people and it almost happened, except that Ford made certain demands that Reagan could not accept: That he be given control over domestic policy, and that Henry Kissinger be put in as Sec of State. Ford offered the idea of basically it being a Co-Presidency, and that quashed it.

Written By: nally on 05/06/21 at 8:07 pm

My thinking is that since Reagan came so close to clinching the nomination in 1976, he'd be the frontrunner in '80 anyway even if Ford won. It'd be a contest of Reagan v. Dole, and given Reagan's natural charisma I see him coming out ahead. Maybe it ends up being Reagan v. Ted Kennedy in 1980.

You think that would've been the case if Carter hadn't gotten elected in '76?

If so, then the Democratic Party would've had a different nominee in '80, that's for sure.

Written By: andersenb11775 on 06/05/21 at 6:37 pm

Ford's well meaning bumbling might have made the Iran crisis worse, especially as Kissinger would be Sec. of State.

Check for new replies or respond here...