inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What Were The 1970s Like?

Written By: Slim95 on 11/15/20 at 1:23 am

For those of you who lived through the '70s, what was it like? What was the vibe and atmosphere like?

Subject: What Were The 1970s Like?

Written By: Dude111 on 11/15/20 at 3:54 pm

The last really G00D decade!!

Subject: Re: What Were The 1970s Like?

Written By: violet_shy on 11/25/20 at 8:48 pm

I wasn't alive in the 1970s, but from what I've seen from old clips and movies everyone looked "dewey" to me. Lol. I actually like the fashion and music from the late 70s(1976 to 1979).

Written By: Howard on 11/26/20 at 7:50 am

I wasn't alive in the 1970s, but from what I've seen from old clips and movies everyone looked "dewey" to me. Lol. I actually like the fashion and music from the late 70s(1976 to 1979).

I just turned 5 in 1979 and all I can remember was watching Sesame Street, The Electric Company and Mister Roger's Neighborhood.

Written By: nally on 11/26/20 at 10:49 am

I wasn't alive in the 1970s, but from what I've seen from old clips and movies everyone looked "dewey" to me. Lol.

Same with me.

I just turned 5 in 1979 and all I can remember was watching Sesame Street, The Electric Company and Mister Roger's Neighborhood.

When I was that age, I can remember watching those programmes.

Written By: wagonman76 on 11/26/20 at 11:02 am

I remember parts of 1979, I was 3. Watching The Electric Company. My sister was born, her umbilical cord fell off and I thought she pooped the bed. We lived in Colorado for awhile and I remember my aunt and uncle, our trailer and lawn. My mom laying in her lawn chair with coconut oil and me playing with the baby aspirator. The green washer and dryer, and my mom watching Laverne and Shirley on a little TV. My aunt singing a jingle about Puppy Chow, which I was able to find it was a 70s commercial on YouTube. Playing with play doh and peeing the bed. Playing with some clock toy that had some large buttons at the bottom, I might be able to find it now. 10 years ago it was tough to find old stuff online. 20 years ago it was near impossible but I was looking anyway.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/26/20 at 1:32 pm

The early part of the '70s were politically charged. People were still protesting the Vietnam War. People were fighting for the passage of the ERA-Equal Rights Amendment (which STILL hasn't been passed  >:( ) and "women's lib." There was Watergate. There was also the "Battle of the Sexes"-Billie Jean King against Bobby Riggs and Billie Jean whipped his @$$!  ;D ;D

AM radio was still dominate at the beginning of the decade but FM pretty much ruled the airways by the end. Records, cassette tapes, and 8-track tapes were the media. A few people may have had Reel to Reel.

There was the energy crises and you had "Odd & Even" days to get gas. Whatever the last digit of your license plate determined if you were odd or even. Most of the cars were gas guzzlers in those days and pretty much built like a tank. Everyone was encouraged to keep their thermostat set on 58 degrees and to wear a sweater.

The Bicentennial was a major celebration. About a year before, there was a minute program every night on t.v. called "200 Years Ago Today."

Television consisted of 4 networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS) and a few independent channels. Cable started coming into existence toward the end of the decade.

Kids played outside for the most part. We rode bikes without helmets or knee pads. We used our imaginations to create games. Sometimes we will get a bunch of kids together to play basketball, baseball, kickball or even touch football. (I loved playing Statues.) Of course the kids with a pool were the most popular. We never worried about "stranger danger" because everyone knew everyone in the neighborhood. We were out all day long and knew to be home when the street lights went on.

When video games came on the scene-we had Pong! And those early systems messed up your t.v. so you didn't want to hook them up. At the beginning of the decade, we had a black & white t.v. It wasn't until about 1975 or so, we got our first color set (and that one was my grandmother's old one). 

And we had to walk 10 miles to school in 6 feet of snow barefoot uphill BOTH WAYS!!!  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat   

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/26/20 at 1:54 pm

AM radio was still dominate at the beginning of the decade but FM pretty much ruled the airways by the end. 

Cat 

You're essentially correct, but I have to clarify.  The underground hippie FM thing started in 1968 with stations like KSAN in San Francisco and a host of others across the country. I myself started listening to them in the very early 70s and NEVER went back to AM top 40. I had found my niche. The Golden Age of this style of anything goes, play entire sides of albums, play 20 minute songs, do whatever you want, read poetry, do astrology charts, play folk songs, smoke pot on the air, read tarot cards, etc etc lasted from about 1968-1975. About that time FM became CODIFIED into what you are talking about as "ruling the airwaves".  The post 1975 format that everyone is familiar with even has a specific name. I forget, but it's named after the radio programming guy that came up with it. It started solidifying around the whole Aerosmith, Bad Company, "Hotel California" type of format. It was the seeds of every "classic hits' radio station of today that almost BY LAW plays the same 20 songs ad infinitum. "Sweet Home Alabama", "Hotel California" "Dream On", Bob Seeger, Steve Miller.  People were essentially conditioned to want only this familiar stuff. In other words "people don't hear what they like, they like what they hear". But man, that 1968-1975 era of anything goes was HEAVEN. It was so diverse, it was so eclectic.

Written By: Howard on 11/26/20 at 2:15 pm

The early part of the '70s were politically charged. People were still protesting the Vietnam War. People were fighting for the passage of the ERA-Equal Rights Amendment (which STILL hasn't been passed  >:( ) and "women's lib." There was Watergate. There was also the "Battle of the Sexes"-Billie Jean King against Bobby Riggs and Billie Jean whipped his @$$!  ;D ;D

AM radio was still dominate at the beginning of the decade but FM pretty much ruled the airways by the end. Records, cassette tapes, and 8-track tapes were the media. A few people may have had Reel to Reel.

There was the energy crises and you had "Odd & Even" days to get gas. Whatever the last digit of your license plate determined if you were odd or even. Most of the cars were gas guzzlers in those days and pretty much built like a tank. Everyone was encouraged to keep their thermostat set on 58 degrees and to wear a sweater.

The Bicentennial was a major celebration. About a year before, there was a minute program every night on t.v. called "200 Years Ago Today."

Television consisted of 4 networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS) and a few independent channels. Cable started coming into existence toward the end of the decade.

Kids played outside for the most part. We rode bikes without helmets or knee pads. We used our imaginations to create games. Sometimes we will get a bunch of kids together to play basketball, baseball, kickball or even touch football. (I loved playing Statues.) Of course the kids with a pool were the most popular. We never worried about "stranger danger" because everyone knew everyone in the neighborhood. We were out all day long and knew to be home when the street lights went on.

When video games came on the scene-we had Pong! And those early systems messed up your t.v. so you didn't want to hook them up. At the beginning of the decade, we had a black & white t.v. It wasn't until about 1975 or so, we got our first color set (and that one was my grandmother's old one). 

And we had to walk 10 miles to school in 6 feet of snow barefoot uphill BOTH WAYS!!!  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat 

And that was a good thing for them, everyone must've loved social interaction at that time.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/26/20 at 3:18 pm

You're essentially correct, but I have to clarify.  The underground hippie FM thing started in 1968 with stations like KSAN in San Francisco and a host of others across the country. I myself started listening to them in the very early 70s and NEVER went back to AM top 40. I had found my niche. The Golden Age of this style of anything goes, play entire sides of albums, play 20 minute songs, do whatever you want, read poetry, do astrology charts, play folk songs, smoke pot on the air, read tarot cards, etc etc lasted from about 1968-1975. About that time FM became CODIFIED into what you are talking about as "ruling the airwaves".  The post 1975 format that everyone is familiar with even has a specific name. I forget, but it's named after the radio programming guy that came up with it. It started solidifying around the whole Aerosmith, Bad Company, "Hotel California" type of format. It was the seeds of every "classic hits' radio station of today that almost BY LAW plays the same 20 songs ad infinitum. "Sweet Home Alabama", "Hotel California" "Dream On", Bob Seeger, Steve Miller.  People were essentially conditioned to want only this familiar stuff. In other words "people don't hear what they like, they like what they hear". But man, that 1968-1975 era of anything goes was HEAVEN. It was so diverse, it was so eclectic.

I knew that FM was more "underground" early on. But, I was referring to more mainstream. Personally, I was still listening to top 40 AM-Cousin Brucie on WABC out of NYC and Imus in the Morning (before he went batcrap crazy) until about 1975 when I discovered FM. There was one FM station I used to listen to out of New Haven, at 10 to 12 (midnight) when one DJ was signing off, he would ALWAYS play Stairway to Heaven.

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/26/20 at 6:09 pm

I knew that FM was more "underground" early on. But, I was referring to more mainstream. Personally, I was still listening to top 40 AM-Cousin Brucie on WABC out of NYC and Imus in the Morning (before he went batcrap crazy) until about 1975 when I discovered FM. There was one FM station I used to listen to out of New Haven, at 10 to 12 (midnight) when one DJ was signing off, he would ALWAYS play Stairway to Heaven.

Cat

Another funny thing about "Stairway to Heaven" that I'm not sure a lot of people realize is that it was never a single. It was never a top 40 hit or anything like that. However, I do remember when that Led Zeppelin album with "Stairway to Heaven" first came out in 1971 even some AM stations broke format and played the song because it was just so undeniable. Our ears are tired of it now but when it was new it was a revelation. Another song that people think was a single that wasn't is "Sympathy for the Devil" which has a similar situation.

Written By: wagonman76 on 11/26/20 at 6:40 pm

We have one of those stations that has pretty much unchanged since I was a kid. Plays all those signature 70s songs and they call it classic rock, or sometimes album rock. Album rock would be fitting, since they played Stairway To Heaven and other non singles. Another example is Moving In Stereo by The Cars.

Written By: Howard on 11/27/20 at 7:40 am

Cat

Cat, Do you remember listening to WCBS-FM Doo Wop back then when you had some good deejays, then you had WPLJ-FM and the deejays Jim Kerr, Dave Charity, Jimmy Roberts, Pat St.John and Shelly Sonstein just to name a few.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/27/20 at 7:45 am

Cat, Do you remember listening to WCBS-FM Doo Wop back then when you had some good deejays, then you had WPLJ-FM and the deejays Jim Kerr, Dave Charity, Jimmy Roberts, Pat St.John and Shelly Sonstein just to name a few.

To be honest Howard, not a lot of young people were listening to doo wop in the 70s. Trust me on this.

Written By: Howard on 11/27/20 at 8:23 am

To be honest Howard, not a lot of young people were listening to doo wop in the 70s. Trust me on this.

Back In the mid 70's WCBS-FM always had their Doo-Wop Shop when at a certain time they'd play music from the 1950's and early 60's, My Father would remember.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/27/20 at 12:05 pm

Back In the mid 70's WCBS-FM always had their Doo-Wop Shop when at a certain time they'd play music from the 1950's and early 60's, My Father would remember.

Yes they did have those shows. My point was that young people of the age Cat or myself were at that time would never listen to them. We had no interest and it was considered very unhip. Those show were targeted for people who grew up in the 50s and who were, by the 70s, middle aged or approaching middle age. Yes, "oldies" radio existed even then, but kids didn't listen to it.

Written By: Howard on 11/27/20 at 1:26 pm

Yes they did have those shows. My point was that young people of the age Cat or myself were at that time would never listen to them. We had no interest and it was considered very unhip. Those show were targeted for people who grew up in the 50s and who were, by the 70s, middle aged or approaching middle age. Yes, "oldies" radio existed even then, but kids didn't listen to it.

What was your favorite oldies you listened to back then?
BTW, My Father will be 80 next year so he remembers all the doo wop groups and if you ask him, he can tell you every group, song or single artist from his era, He has a Doo-Wop chat group he goes to on the internet and he enjoys a 50's and 60's music playlist.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/27/20 at 2:19 pm

I don't recall listening to WCBS. I used to listen to WPLJ in the late '70s-early '80s but don't recall any DJs. I heard that WPLJ changed their format. They used to be rock-I don't know what they are playing now.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 11/28/20 at 7:22 am

I don't recall listening to WCBS. I used to listen to WPLJ in the late '70s-early '80s but don't recall any DJs. I heard that WPLJ changed their format. They used to be rock-I don't know what they are playing now.

Cat

Just last year WPLJ said goodbye in May of 2019 and then a Christian Rock station came along.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/29/20 at 12:48 pm

Radio was often a big part of the lives of people my age during the 70s (ages 9-19).

Those of us not on the East Coast had no opportunity to listen to East Coast radio stations.  Not to fear: for AM radio in the 70s, Chicagolanders had the storied "Big 89 (WLS)" and its rival, "Super CFL (WCFL)".  Here's a link to an article regarding WLS:  http://www.wlshistory.com/WLS70/

Incidentally, my family moved to rural Michigan in summer 1971, no longer in Chicago.  However, the two aforementioned stations had high power output; as we were approx. 60 miles (as the crow flies) from Chicago, we usually got reception for these two stations.  WLS was slightly stronger, its reception was better - but we usually could get WCFL, too (if the atmospheric and weather conditions cooperated).  There were some local radio stations in rural Michigan, but we only tuned in for local news and weather; they weren't nearly the same listening experience.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/29/20 at 1:45 pm

Radio was often a big part of the lives of people my age during the 70s (ages 9-19).

Those of us not on the East Coast had no opportunity to listen to East Coast radio stations.  Not to fear: for AM radio in the 70s, Chicagolanders had the storied "Big 89 (WLS)" and its rival, "Super CFL (WCFL)".  Here's a link to an article regarding WLS:  http://www.wlshistory.com/WLS70/

Incidentally, my family moved to rural Michigan in summer 1971, no longer in Chicago.  However, the two aforementioned stations had high power output; as we were approx. 60 miles (as the crow flies) from Chicago, we usually got reception for these two stations.  WLS was slightly stronger, its reception was better - but we usually could get WCFL, too (if the atmospheric and weather conditions cooperated).  There were some local radio stations in rural Michigan, but we only tuned in for local news and weather; they weren't nearly the same listening experience.

I remember listening to the radio at night when a lot of the local stations went off the air and was thrilled to hear stations from very far away. I can't remember how far but I always thought it was cool. What I thought was REALLY cool was hearing them speak French as I was getting Canadian stations.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 11/30/20 at 1:46 pm

What family sitcoms do you remember watching at that time?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/30/20 at 1:56 pm

What family sitcoms do you remember watching at that time?

Me? All of them. lol.

I was basically a walking T.V. Guide because I knew what shows where on, when they were on. But, with only 4 networks, it wasn't hard.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 12/01/20 at 7:42 am

Me? All of them. lol.

I was basically a walking T.V. Guide because I knew what shows where on, when they were on. But, with only 4 networks, it wasn't hard.

Cat

I'm sure you remember Sesame Street, Electric Company and Mr.Roger's Neighborhood?  :)

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/01/20 at 9:26 am

I'll have to disagree on this front since the 1970s (and even well into the '80s) had a lot of nostalgia of rock 'n roll's pre-Beatles era, led by the Big Three: American Graffiti, Grease (the musical, then the movie), and Happy Days. The original 45s were often found for cheap in bargain bins of record stores and flea markets as well, often coming from the original owners who passed them down when either deciding to move on to more sophisticated genres or just parting with them. Conversely, a lot of teens from when that music was current instead preferred big band/swing jazz, it was seen as the cool older music, but it wasn't quite old enough to be seen as "fogey" music like sadly what 1970s music is nowadays.

TV Guide was absolutely king in terms of seeing what shows were on, even though many newspapers by then were starting to get a bit more detailed with their nightly listings, with weekend supplemental inserts starting to become common.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/01/20 at 11:08 am

I'll have to disagree on this front since the 1970s (and even well into the '80s) had a lot of nostalgia of rock 'n roll's pre-Beatles era, led by the Big Three: American Graffiti, Grease (the musical, then the movie), and Happy Days. The original 45s were often found for cheap in bargain bins of record stores and flea markets as well, often coming from the original owners who passed them down when either deciding to move on to more sophisticated genres or just parting with them. Conversely, a lot of teens from when that music was current instead preferred big band/swing jazz, it was seen as the cool older music, but it wasn't quite old enough to be seen as "fogey" music like sadly what 1970s music is nowadays.

TV Guide was absolutely king in terms of seeing what shows were on, even though many newspapers by then were starting to get a bit more detailed with their nightly listings, with weekend supplemental inserts starting to become common.

I was a 70s teen.  Young people were not listening to doo-wop in the 70s in a big way until perhaps very late in the decade.  Neither were young people listening to big band/swing - this was what our parents listened to, not "our" music.  (Of course when the parents had control of the radio dial, they'd make us listen to big band, swing, doo-wop, what have you - but as soon as we retook control of the radio dial, current hits was turned back on.)

50s interest did kick up in the late 70s, but its scope was limited to what was flashy - what was exposed via Happy Days, Grease, the "Sha-Na-Na" show, things like that.  Young people were a lot more interested in current music at that time.  As the 80s approached, young folks were getting increasingly disenfranchised with current music (much of it being disco) and because of that plus the 50s music exposure, some started opening their mind more to music of the past.  (These factors played together to lay fertile ground for the 80s oldies boom.)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/01/20 at 12:31 pm

This is manifestly inaccurate. There were NO 70s teens that were into " big band/swing jazz," and I mean none. NONE! Also, and I don't REALLY know how to explain this, since "Happy Days" and "American Graffiti" were a success and the "Fonz" became kind of iconic, there was really NO "50s revival" in the 70s. It's as if those things existed in their own kind of bubble but didn't really influence the youth culture who were looking forward at that point, NOT backward. If anything, "American Graffiti" was really about the passing of the torch from one era to another. The people who REALLY enjoyed "Happy Days" and "Grease" were the parents who lived through that era. And it was little kids who idolized "The Fonz" like they would later do with Mr. T. Teenagers scoffed.

And the weekly TV supplemental magazine in the Sunday paper of most cities was common at  least as far back as the early 60s. It was a staple in my household growing up. My father always called it the "TV page" (likely a throwback to when TV listings indeed were only one page in the paper) even though it was an entire booklet. But you are correct, TV Guide was a Bible in many households.

Written By: karen on 12/01/20 at 12:52 pm

I was born in 69 so was a kid in the 70s.

Mostly I remember lots of brown and orange and nylon everywhere. Purple was a popular colour for home decor - my parents painted their hall, stairs and landing two shades of purple.

Toys I remember having are Katie Copycat and Tiny Tears dolls (I also had a crib for Tiny Tears), Girls World make up doll and Barbie with a camper van.

Clothes I recall include a very bright green suit with big buttons on the pocket flaps on the jacket (it had a skirt or trousers as options), a granny square crochet waistcoat in shades of purple, turquoise t shirts with cartoon characters on them and a cheesecloth shirt.

I liked The Osmonds, Showaddywaddy, Blondie.

The first album I bought was part shares in the Grease double album, my brothers owned the other shares.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/01/20 at 1:45 pm

I'm sure you remember Sesame Street, Electric Company and Mr.Roger's Neighborhood?  :)

Of course I remember them. I was the first generation to watch Sesame Street. Electric Company came a little later and I never did like Mr. Roger's so I never watched it.

I also LOVED Zoom.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 12/01/20 at 2:18 pm

Of course I remember them. I was the first generation to watch Sesame Street. Electric Company came a little later and I never did like Mr. Roger's so I never watched it.

I also LOVED Zoom.

Cat

Why? What was wrong with his character?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/01/20 at 2:30 pm

Nothing was wrong with his character. He just didn't tickle my fancy.

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/01/20 at 2:31 pm

I liked Mr. Rogers; I watched him from perhaps '68 to '70.  I outgrew him, but I thought he was alright at the time.  Another kids show I watched around the same time was "B.J. and Dirty Dragon" (which I later learned was regional).  That show was pretty "hip", much moreso than Mr. Rogers.  The main reason I stopped watching that show was due to moving to Michigan.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/01/20 at 2:32 pm

I also LOVED Zoom.

I still remember the '90s version of Zoom. That's what I watched as a little kid. They probably rebooted it because there was '70s nostalgia in the '90s.

Written By: Howard on 12/01/20 at 3:08 pm

I liked Mr. Rogers; I watched him from perhaps '68 to '70.  I outgrew him, but I thought he was alright at the time.  Another kids show I watched around the same time was "B.J. and Dirty Dragon" (which I later learned was regional).  That show was pretty "hip", much moreso than Mr. Rogers.  The main reason I stopped watching that show was due to moving to Michigan.

I grew up with Mr.Rogers during the late 70's but then after a while I outgrew him because I had grown up and watched other shows that had my interest.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/01/20 at 3:59 pm

I grew up with Mr.Rogers during the late 70's but then after a while I outgrew him because I had grown up and watched other shows that had my interest.
The only encounter I have had with Mr. Rogers is the recent Tom Hanks movie.

Written By: Howard on 12/02/20 at 8:49 am

The only encounter I have had with Mr. Rogers is the recent Tom Hanks movie.

I saw a bit of that Mr.Rogers film that had Tom Hanks portraying him and he was great.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/02/20 at 7:45 pm

For those of you who lived through the '70s, what was it like? What was the vibe and atmosphere like?

In regards to the early 70s, certain aspects came across as pretty downer.  For youngsters like me, it was disheartening to face the druggie deaths of three musical heroes in a short time span.  In my 6th Grade year Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and Jim Morrison all died in their prime.  After that I sometimes wondered if any of our musical heroes would survive much longer.  Other things that concerned us included pollution/the ecology, racial/gender inequality, high crime rates and drugs drugs drugs.

Despite that, there were good things going on.  The decade saw significant strides in gender equality and racial equality.  The space race continued to be a source of pride, at least for a little while.  The economy, for all its faults wasn't horrible in the early 70s.  In the early 70s, people were free to speak their minds then, and they did.  And pop culture - in particular music and TV - was amazing!  One other thing - other than a "generation gap", there weren't so many factions of people who had a hard time accepting each other - people were generally more unified (not that everyone agreed, rather they agreed to disagree).

Written By: violet_shy on 12/02/20 at 9:00 pm

I was a 70s teen.  Young people were not listening to doo-wop in the 70s in a big way until perhaps very late in the decade.  Neither were young people listening to big band/swing - this was what our parents listened to, not "our" music.  (Of course when the parents had control of the radio dial, they'd make us listen to big band, swing, doo-wop, what have you - but as soon as we retook control of the radio dial, current hits was turned back on.)

50s interest did kick up in the late 70s, but its scope was limited to what was flashy - what was exposed via Happy Days, Grease, the "Sha-Na-Na" show, things like that.  Young people were a lot more interested in current music at that time.  As the 80s approached, young folks were getting increasingly disenfranchised with current music (much of it being disco) and because of that plus the 50s music exposure, some started opening their mind more to music of the past.  (These factors played together to lay fertile ground for the 80s oldies boom.)

What music did most 70s teens listen to?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/02/20 at 9:46 pm

In regards to the early 70s, certain aspects came across as pretty downer.  For youngsters like me, it was disheartening to face the druggie deaths of three musical heroes in a short time span.  In my 6th Grade year Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and Jim Morrison all died in their prime.  After that I sometimes wondered if any of our musical heroes would survive much longer.  Other things that concerned us included pollution/the ecology, racial/gender inequality, high crime rates and drugs drugs drugs.

Despite that, there were good things going on.  The decade saw significant strides in gender equality and racial equality.  The space race continued to be a source of pride, at least for a little while.  The economy, for all its faults wasn't horrible in the early 70s.  In the early 70s, people were free to speak their minds then, and they did.  And pop culture - in particular music and TV - was amazing!  One other thing - other than a "generation gap", there weren't so many factions of people who had a hard time accepting each other - people were generally more unified (not that everyone agreed, rather they agreed to disagree).

I found that introspective early 70s period to be deeply meaningful. The introspective singer/songwriter era was in ascendance, kicked off by James Taylor's "Sweet Baby James" (although I was never as big as him as I was on others), Neil Young's "After the Goldrush" and "Harvest", etc, etc.

James Taylor
cover of Time magazine March 1, 1971

http://img.timeinc.net/time/magazine/archive/covers/1971/1101710301_400.jpg

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/02/20 at 10:02 pm

Aside from the well known Rolling Stone and Cream, there were some terrific music magazines of the "folded over newspaper" style  like "Rock" and "Zoo World" in the early 70s. These magazines were our lifeline in those days.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/FLoAAOSwdzNdG5d8/s-l1600.jpg

By the way, if you are not familiar with the women pictured, from clockwise they are Tracy Nelson (from the band Mother Earth), Carole King, Rita Coolidge, Melanie, Carly Simon.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/yu4AAOSwnipWXypK/s-l640.jpg

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/02/20 at 10:16 pm

Aside from the well known Rolling Stone and Cream, there were some terrific music magazines of the "folded over newspaper" style  like "Rock" and "Zoo World" in the early 70s. These magazines were our lifeline in those days.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/FLoAAOSwdzNdG5d8/s-l1600.jpg

By the way, if you are not familiar with the women pictured, from clockwise they are Tracy Nelson (from the band Mother Earth), Carole King, Rita Coolidge and Melanie, Carly Simon.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/yu4AAOSwnipWXypK/s-l640.jpg

O0 Cool magazines!  Me too, although I bought more teen girl oriented magazines.  And not until a few years later.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/02/20 at 10:33 pm

One of the best was the lesser known and short-lived "Words & Music". It only lasted from about 1971-1973 but it was really great. One of it's main features was that it included sheet music from several current songs (hits or otherwise). Later, lots of "musician" and "guitar player" type magazines would do that, but "Words & Music" was the first. It also featured the timely "ripoff of the month" column where people could write in if they felt they had been ripped off by some scam company, such as a mail order music company or some such.

http://i.pinimg.com/474x/ce/db/93/cedb9386e6ee49e7327e44bfb5fda2e1.jpg

http://www.afka.net/images/Mags-pic/words%20&%20music%2073a.jpg

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/02/20 at 10:43 pm

And, of course, "Circus" magazine was super big back then.

http://i.pinimg.com/originals/fa/05/94/fa0594efd7ab69492d801d4dee7419ea.png

http://i.pinimg.com/originals/d8/8d/3a/d88d3a1ab5b31cfee2be7c05c0c96251.jpg

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/02/20 at 11:16 pm

This influential book was a big seller in the early 70s. Among other things, it put forth the theory that the pyramids of Egypt had been built by extraterrestrials. Much of it was unverified and unsourced and it was later denounced as pseudoscience. But still it gave one the feeling that there were other layers and dimensions to things, and that's a worthwhile path to pursue. Later in the decade much of this same ground would be covered in Leonard Nimoy's excellent TV series "In Search Of".

http://pictures.abebooks.com/1LACEYLANE/11615276264.jpg

Written By: Howard on 12/03/20 at 8:05 am

O0 Cool magazines!  Me too, although I bought more teen girl oriented magazines.  And not until a few years later.

What were your favorite teen girl magazines?

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/03/20 at 9:26 am

This influential book was a big seller in the early 70s. Among other things, it put forth the theory that the pyramids of Egypt had been built by extraterrestrials. Much of it was unverified and unsourced and it was later denounced as pseudoscience. But still it gave one the feeling that there were other layers and dimensions to things, and that's a worthwhile path to pursue. Later in the decade much of this same ground would be covered in Leonard Nimoy's excellent TV series "In Search Of".

http://pictures.abebooks.com/1LACEYLANE/11615276264.jpg
I had that, never read it, but sold it in eBay.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/03/20 at 10:15 am

Two more books that were EXTREMELY popular in the early 70s, although too "cutesy" for me (even though I like Charlie Brown and Peanuts!).

http://books.google.com/books/content/images/frontcover/StnyCxWTERAC?fife=w200-h300

http://d1w7fb2mkkr3kw.cloudfront.net/assets/images/book/lrg/9781/9336/9781933662077.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/03/20 at 1:39 pm

Two more books that were EXTREMELY popular in the early 70s, although too "cutesy" for me (even though I like Charlie Brown and Peanuts!).

http://books.google.com/books/content/images/frontcover/StnyCxWTERAC?fife=w200-h300

http://d1w7fb2mkkr3kw.cloudfront.net/assets/images/book/lrg/9781/9336/9781933662077.jpg

I'm sure we had both of those. We also had the parody:

https://pictures.abebooks.com/inventory/md/md16429222689.jpg

Cat

Written By: Howard on 12/03/20 at 2:03 pm

AG, Do you remember those variety shows in The 70's like the ones with Donny And Marie or The Jacksons?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g71wHiaiY6Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnqrOXJ81PY
This one was when The Jacksons performed for Rich Little in 1976.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/03/20 at 2:08 pm

The "Ecology Flag" was everywhere back then also. I even had notepaper with this on it.

http://i.pinimg.com/236x/ba/57/82/ba578280716214697e95c55df462d463--happy-earth-earth-day.jpg

And it would have been REALLY cool to have this on a denim jacket or jeans:

http://i.pinimg.com/originals/70/fb/a8/70fba8137a132fda8b5d91a632519431.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/03/20 at 2:22 pm

The "Ecology Flag" was everywhere back then also. I even had notepaper with this on it.

http://i.pinimg.com/236x/ba/57/82/ba578280716214697e95c55df462d463--happy-earth-earth-day.jpg

And it would have been REALLY cool to have this on a denim jacket or jeans:

http://i.pinimg.com/originals/70/fb/a8/70fba8137a132fda8b5d91a632519431.jpg

I totally forgotten about that.

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/04/20 at 10:07 am

Other than "current (1970s) music" like Top 40, this is impossible to answer.

What were your favorite teen girl magazines?

I'm not going there!  ;D

AG, Do you remember those variety shows in The 70's like the ones with Donny And Marie or The Jacksons?

Sure I remember them.  Variety shows were big back then.  I didn't watch these two particular shows that much - Donny and Marie weren't exactly my faves, and with the Jacksons it seemed there were always reasons I couldn't watch the show, I don't quite remember.  :-\\

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/04/20 at 10:22 am

Sure I remember them.  Variety shows were big back then.  I didn't watch these two particular shows that much - Donny and Marie weren't exactly my faves, and with the Jacksons it seemed there were always reasons I couldn't watch the show, I don't quite remember.  :-\\

The Jacksons show came and went so fast there probably wasn't time to watch it. I think only 12 episodes aired. I don't remember a bit of it. It left little impact, unlike what Michael would do later.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/04/20 at 10:37 am

Other than "current (1970s) music" like Top 40, this is impossible to answer.

Absolutely correct! What today's people don't seem to get, or cannot grasp the nuance of, is that there was not this big palette of the entire past of recorded music that we would pick and choose from, as they seem to do now. It simply wasn't done. Not only was there not as much "past" then as there is now (i.e people now going back to the 90s, 80s, 70s, 60s, etc), or a manner to get ahold of it even if we wanted it, we absolutely did NOT listen to the music "our parents" listened to. Not willingly, anyway. It simply wasn't done! NO self-respecting teen of the 60s or 70s listened to music from the 50s or before. None! Nada. Zilch. BUT...the spectrum of what we had as far as our own "current music" went was so wide, and so vast, and so varied and so GOOD that there was no need to look elsewhere. American Girl mentions Top 40. Some people were into that. It wasn't my thing. I was into a more FM thing. And DON'T think of it as "album oriented rock" (AOR). That was something that came much later in the 70s and was a codified kind of "Top 40" all of it's own. But I was into all kinds of album artists, known and unknown. There was something for everyone.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/04/20 at 10:49 am

Absolutely correct! What today's people don't seem to get, or cannot grasp the nuance of, is that there was not this big palette of the entire past of recorded music that we would pick and choose from, as they seem to do now. It simply wasn't done. Not only was there not as much "past" then as there is now (i.e people now going back to the 90s, 80s, 70s, 60s, etc), or a manner to get ahold of it even if we wanted it, we absolutely did NOT listen to the music "our parents" listened to. Not willingly, anyway. It simply wasn't done! NO self-respecting teen of the 60s or 70s listened to music from the 50s or before. None! Nada. Zilch. BUT...the spectrum of what we had as far as our own "current music" went was so wide, and so vast, and so varied and so GOOD that there was no need to look elsewhere. American Girl mentions Top 40. Some people were into that. It wasn't my thing. I was into a more FM thing. And DON'T think of it as "album oriented rock" (AOR). That was something that came much later in the 70s and was a codified kind of "Top 40" all of it's own. But I was into all kinds of album artists, known and unknown. There was something for everyone.

O0 Indeed!  We 70s youth just weren't into "old" music.  (In large part because our "current" music was that good.)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/04/20 at 11:15 am

From the days of albums...

One of my all time favorite albums ever. Released in 1970. The first solo album from the legendary Dave Mason, former member of Traffic. EVERY song is  a killer. And the album cover folded out three times to make a poster. And the album was on multicolored vinyl, each one unique. The album generated a well known song in the form of "Only You Know & I Know" largely because it became a top 40 hit for Delaney & Bonnie in 1971, but it is the Mason version that is now more remembered.

I mean, is this cool or what? Wouldn't you rather have this cool thing than streaming? Streaming is air. You can't grasp it. It is unfulfilling. In the album days every sense was delighted. Hearing. Sight. Touch. And even smell. The "new album smell" was heavenly. The only sense not gratified was taste. Unless you licked the album, and some people probably did.;D Some people rolled joints on albums too.  :o

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/QVwAAOSwhrRfrihd/s-l640.jpg

Written By: Howard on 12/04/20 at 1:55 pm

https://static.next-episode.net/tv-shows-images/huge/battle-of-the-network-stars.jpg

Maybe you guys remember Battle Of The Network Stars from The 1970's?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KyxkNsIo-s

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/04/20 at 2:09 pm

O0 Indeed!  We 70s youth just weren't into "old" music.  (In large part because our "current" music was that good.)

Ok, I have to disagree here. My sister was into "oldies" in the '70s and listened to the "oldies" radio station. It was mostly music from the '50s & '60s. But she also listened to contemporary music, too. I remember when she bought the 45 of Seasons in the Sun-which I liked at the time until she played it over and over and over and over and over...etc, etc.  ::)

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/04/20 at 2:19 pm

Ok, I have to disagree here. My sister was into "oldies" in the '70s and listened to the "oldies" radio station. It was mostly music from the '50s & '60s. But she also listened to contemporary music, too. I remember when she bought the 45 of Seasons in the Sun-which I liked at the time until she played it over and over and over and over and over...etc, etc.  ::)

Cat

To clarify a little, I was including 60s music as part of what I was calling "current" for the 70s. At last to some degree. Many, many 60s artists were still very current in the 70s and indeed had some of their biggest successes. So if you were listening to their 70s stuff their 60s stuff sort of came with it.  Although the  "oldies" stations in the 70s (my father always listened to one) tended to play the more "un-60s" type of 60s music. You know, Four Seasons, Freddie Cannon, girl groups. More like the type of thing Howard always posts here when he posts 60s stuff. That's his taste. The oldies stations in the 70s played a lot of 60s Motown also.

Written By: Elor on 12/19/20 at 10:00 am

You forgot to mention the stormy headwind in both directions (which usually was around hurricane strength) and that you had to carry your younger siblings.

:D

Written By: Redhairkid on 12/19/20 at 10:27 am

Strikes and poitical unrest at this end.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/19/20 at 12:59 pm

You forgot to mention the stormy headwind in both directions (which usually was around hurricane strength) and that you had to carry your younger siblings.

:D

;D ;D ;D

In my case, it was my older siblings because I am the youngest.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 12/19/20 at 1:37 pm

And don't forget The Son Of Sam, Blackout Of 1977 and Disco Demolition Night.

Written By: 2001 on 12/19/20 at 5:05 pm

I'm not sure about teens but my dad was in his 20s in the late 70s and he did have an Elvis obsession phase around his death. Was 1950s nostalgia big around then?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/19/20 at 5:23 pm

I'm not sure about teens but my dad was in his 20s in the late 70s and he did have an Elvis obsession phase around his death. Was 1950s nostalgia big around then?

Not really. PLEASE read the rest of this thread for the debunking of this "nostalgia" thing by those of us who were really and truly there. It simply wasn't a thing yet. Elvis kind of existed out of time, though. He kept having hits in the 60s and even in the 70s had one of his biggest with "Burning Love". His death certainly could have triggered an obsession. Not long after, the rather enjoyable "Elvis is alive" phenomenon took off. People thought he had faked his death and there were Elvis sightings everywhere. This was largely helped along by the Weekly World News.

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/Hw-2xWByhkZpWV9vdoRUAddHanAlyU5bopwr0I65rudOmlJrcaMyUkm0uB5omwXBHwbiL3qqz9IZ9r4lAJHyx_5rb-PyEw0gr-93b8BtWfZ6oQ2_gM3WYMslE7uRUkkvYdCvdg

http://bnewmanx.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/72391.png

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/19/20 at 5:41 pm

Not really. PLEASE read the rest of this thread for the debunking of this "nostalgia" thing by those of us who were really and truly there. It simply wasn't a thing yet. Elvis kind of existed out of time, though. He kept having hits in the 60s and even in the 70s had one of his biggest with "Burning Love". His death certainly could have triggered an obsession. Not long after, the rather enjoyable "Elvis is alive" phenomenon took off. People thought he had faked his death and there were Elvis sightings everywhere. This was largely helped along by the Weekly World News.

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/Hw-2xWByhkZpWV9vdoRUAddHanAlyU5bopwr0I65rudOmlJrcaMyUkm0uB5omwXBHwbiL3qqz9IZ9r4lAJHyx_5rb-PyEw0gr-93b8BtWfZ6oQ2_gM3WYMslE7uRUkkvYdCvdg

http://bnewmanx.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/72391.png

I used to see Elvis in our local Kmart. I have a friend who used to work there in the '90s and she told me he used to come in all the time. She also said that he was VERY nice.

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/19/20 at 5:51 pm

I used to see Elvis in our local Kmart. I have a friend who used to work there in the '90s and she told me he used to come in all the time. She also said that he was VERY nice.

Cat

;D  ;D  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/19/20 at 6:03 pm

;D  ;D  ;D

I'm not joking. There was a guy who ALWAYS dressed like Elvis. I think his name was Jim but everyone basically called him Elvis. (Hmmm, I wonder why?)

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/19/20 at 6:10 pm

I'm not joking. There was a guy who ALWAYS dressed like Elvis. I think his name was Jim but everyone basically called him Elvis. (Hmmm, I wonder why?)

Cat

That essentially proves my point. There are just people who are into Elvis. Some want to BE Elvis. It has nothing to do with what year it is or any kind of measurable waves of "nostalgia" for the 50s that people here keep going on about. In fact, most of these people who walk around like Elvis are middle aged and older men who resemble more the 70s Las Vegas Elvis (with big sideburns, etc) than the mean, lean 50s Elvis. These guys existed in the 70s too, but they certainly weren't YOUNG people.

Written By: Howard on 12/21/20 at 1:27 pm

Cat

Was it the bloated Elvis?

Written By: Howard on 12/21/20 at 1:31 pm

That essentially proves my point. There are just people who are into Elvis. Some want to BE Elvis. It has nothing to do with what year it is or any kind of measurable waves of "nostalgia" for the 50s that people here keep going on about. In fact, most of these people who walk around like Elvis are middle aged and older men who resemble more the 70s Las Vegas Elvis (with big sideburns, etc) than the mean, lean 50s Elvis. These guys existed in the 70s too, but they certainly weren't YOUNG people.

Some people feel The 70's Elvis is a more relatable persona than the 50's Elvis.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/21/20 at 1:40 pm

Was it the bloated Elvis?

He was trim-but wore the black leather and sideburns.

Cat

Written By: Contigo on 01/25/21 at 6:28 pm

The 1970s were a free and experimental decade. The music made was on the heels of the late 1960s and was in most part excellent. I would never trade my teen and early adult years (in this decade) with any other decade, except possibly the 1960s. 

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/25/21 at 6:36 pm

The 1970s were a free and experimental decade. The music made was on the heels of the late 1960s and was in most part excellent. I would never trade my teen and early adult years (in this decade) with any other decade, except possibly the 1960s.

O0

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/25/21 at 7:27 pm

As I was only 9 1/2 when the 70's began, I don't have much opinion of early 1970's movies.  But the music was amazing, and television too.  (I could say a lot about early 70's women's fashion as well, but I'll table that subject for now.)  We 70's youth certainly had it good when it came to pop culture.

Written By: Contigo on 01/26/21 at 9:49 am

As I was only 9 1/2 when the 70's began, I don't have much opinion of early 1970's movies.  But the music was amazing, and television too.  (I could say a lot about early 70's women's fashion as well, but I'll table that subject for now.)  We 70's youth certainly had it good when it came to pop culture.

I was just about to enter my teens when the 70's began. Gotta tell ya I had some weird color/pattern suits. But everyone did.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/26/21 at 9:56 am

I was just about to enter my teens when the 70's began. Gotta tell ya I had some weird color/pattern suits. But everyone did.

I had shirts with puffy sleeves. Those were big for guys in the early 70s. Loved them!  8)

Written By: Contigo on 01/26/21 at 10:01 am

I had shirts with puffy sleeves. Those were big for guys in the early 70s. Loved them!  8)

Ha!
My suits resembled these Osmond brothers suits
https://twitter.com/donnyosmond/status/1179396901738881029

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/26/21 at 10:14 am

Ha!

Haha! It's absolutely funny that you posted that, because before you even did, I planned to post THIS image.  In the early 70s I was into more serious music, not commercial Osmond-type stuff, but I wanted to post this because of the clothes. I had stars and stripes bell bottoms just like that (although his are a bit better than what I had), puffy sleeve shirts like that and boots like that. I even had a hat like that although mine was denim.

http://img.discogs.com/A28YtnDeaX44rjj0j8yvbAkIfTY=/fit-in/600x599/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(90)/discogs-images/R-2395057-1467614262-7213.jpeg.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/26/21 at 10:18 am

Ha!
My clothing back then was just ordinary.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/26/21 at 10:22 am

My clothing back then was just ordinary.

The pictured clothing WAS ordinary back then.  ;D  ;D  Didn't visit Carnaby Street much? Shops like Granny Takes A Trip? Marc Bolan used to buy his clothes there.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/26/21 at 10:25 am

The pictured clothing WAS ordinary back then.  ;D  ;D  Didn't visit Carnaby Street much? Shops like Granny Takes A Trip? Marc Bolan used to buy his clothes there.
I remember going to King's Road, but I was there just as a tag-a-long for the needs of my elder sister, she may had brought clothing, I remember it was my task with the camera that day, a photo has survived, but not sure where it is now,

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/26/21 at 10:53 am

...I even had a hat like that although mine was denim...

Ooooh, I had a denim hat that style ('73-ish).  Mine was patchwork denim.  I loved it on me - I wore it often!

Somebody SWIPED it  >:(

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/26/21 at 11:02 am

Ooooh, I had a denim hat that style ('73-ish).  Mine was patchwork denim.  I loved it on me - I wore it often!

Mine was patchwork denim too!  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/26/21 at 11:04 am

Mine was patchwork denim too!  :)
Never has a denim hat, but I recall my sister having a white floppy one.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/26/21 at 7:59 pm

Never has a denim hat, but I recall my sister having a white floppy one.

Love floppy hats!

http://agallery.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/BG12624.jpg

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-7u1tilIRrVo/TroeYSS1KRI/AAAAAAAAJRM/JKBr0JDVQ1M/s567/Picture%2525201178.png

Written By: Howard on 01/27/21 at 7:59 am

Did you use to own any Hawaiian shirts?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/27/21 at 8:08 am

Hawaiian shirts were considered tacky then, just as they are now.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/27/21 at 8:13 am

Hawaiian shirts were considered tacky then, just as they are now.
Yes, very tacky!

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/27/21 at 8:26 am

I had a Hawaiian shirt in the early '80s.  I liked it then.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/27/21 at 8:27 am

Many seen in Hawaii 5-0?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/27/21 at 8:35 am

Many seen in Hawaii 5-0?

I always let the show theme song play in full, then changed the channel (it seems Hawaii 5-0 was over the head of 9-year-old me)

Written By: Howard on 01/27/21 at 8:47 am

I would like to buy one in the near future.

Written By: Contigo on 01/29/21 at 6:29 pm

Love floppy hats!

http://agallery.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/BG12624.jpg

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-7u1tilIRrVo/TroeYSS1KRI/AAAAAAAAJRM/JKBr0JDVQ1M/s567/Picture%2525201178.png

I simply adore both of these photos.

Written By: Howard on 01/30/21 at 1:54 pm

I simply adore both of these photos.

So during the 70's why did John and Yoko go naked for a photo shoot, anyone remember that? ???

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/30/21 at 2:15 pm

So during the 70's why did John and Yoko go naked for a photo shoot, anyone remember that? ???

That was the "Two Virgins" album from 1968. My copy came covered  in a brown paper wrapper with quotes from the Book of Genesis printed on the back, "and they were both naked, the man and his wife, and THEY WERE NOT ASHAMED".  "Right on!", as we would have said back then.  The paper wrapper is probably worth money these days. I still have mine.

Written By: Contigo on 01/30/21 at 2:16 pm

I don't know but it was weird.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/30/21 at 4:35 pm

That was the "Two Virgins" album from 1968. My copy came covered  in a brown paper wrapper with quotes from the Book of Genesis printed on the back, "and they were both naked, the man and his wife, and THEY WERE NOT ASHAMED".  "Right on!", as we would have said back then.  The paper wrapper is probably worth money these days. I still have mine.

In one of my various Beatles' books (I have several), one of the authors included a photograph of the album WITHOUT the brown wrapper as an illustration.

I don't know how the album itself sounds.  Any commentary on that?  ???

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/30/21 at 5:27 pm

In one of my various Beatles' books (I have several), one of the authors included a photograph of the album WITHOUT the brown wrapper as an illustration.

I don't know how the album itself sounds.  Any commentary on that?  ???

Yeah, I know what the photo(s) look like, I've occasionally peeked under the brown wrapper. ;D  Not the most flattering pictures on Earth, but they weren't about glamor, they were about truthfulness. The album is pretty much one long avant -garde sound collage of various things. Sort of like "Revolution 9" stretched out over two sides of an album. Keep in mind the full title was "Two Virgins: Unfinished Music Number 1". They did a follow-up shortly after "Life With The Lions: Unfinished Music Number 2" with the cover showing Yoko in bed in a hospital and John in a sleeping bag on the floor after she had had a miscarriage. Again, they were all about truth. That one has things like a recording of the baby's heartbeat which abruptly ends, and another band of the record is called "Two Minutes Silence" which is exactly that. It seems most people were rubbed the wrong way by all this weirdness, but I found it fascinating. Those were highly experimental times and John & Yoko were at the forefront of it all. And again, the HONESTY of it all...that type of honesty is almost unimaginable in today's world of showbiz.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/30/21 at 5:43 pm

Yeah, I know what the photo(s) look like, I've occasionally peeked under the brown wrapper. ;D  Not the most flattering pictures on Earth, but they weren't about glamor, they were about truthfulness. The album is pretty much one long avant -garde sound collage of various things. Sort of like "Revolution 9" stretched out over two sides of an album. Keep in mind the full title was "Two Virgins: Unfinished Music Number 1". They did a follow-up shortly after "Life With The Lions: Unfinished Music Number 2" with the cover showing Yoko in bed in a hospital and John in a sleeping bag on the floor after she had had a miscarriage. Again, they were all about truth. That one has things like a recording of the baby's heartbeat which abruptly ends, and another band of the record is called "Two Minutes Silence" which is exactly that. It seems most people were rubbed the wrong way by all this weirdness, but I found it fascinating. Those were highly experimental times and John & Yoko were at the forefront of it all. And again, the HONESTY of it all...that type of honesty is almost unimaginable in today's world of showbiz.

I never got into them. I just thought they were weird. But at least John could sing-unlike Yoko.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 01/31/21 at 4:00 am

I never got into them. I just thought they were weird. But at least John could sing-unlike Yoko.

Cat

I always wanted to know as to why Yoko always screamed while she was singing? I think that John always got annoyed at her or wanted to say something to her after a performance.

Written By: violet_shy on 11/06/21 at 10:47 pm

I have some questions...

Why did people in the 1970s have beautiful, dewy skin? I notice this is every 70s film and photos of people back then. Was it because of the products they used on their faces? Or were they dewy just naturally? It looked so nice with the make up styles from back then.

Here is what I'm talking about. This is a make up ad from the 70s. As rosy as I am, I am not THAT dewy. Why did people have that look?

https://i.ibb.co/5RhpXYL/IMG-20211107-000817.jpg

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/06/21 at 11:16 pm

I have some questions...

Why did people in the 1970s have beautiful, dewy skin? I notice this is every 70s film and photos of people back then. Was it because of the products they used on their faces? Or were they dewy just naturally? It looked so nice with the make up styles from back then.

Not sure I completely agree with the premise.

One factor potentially affecting peoples' skin is that many adults of the 70's grew up in the 40's and 50's where they would ingest a lower proportion of highly processed foods, food additives, and pharmaceuticals over their life compared to those younger.  That could perhaps make some difference in skin.

But I think what you're seeing is likely a difference in the quality of makeup.  In my recollection, a lot of makeup was heavier and brighter then vs. today.

Written By: violet_shy on 11/06/21 at 11:40 pm

One factor potentially affecting peoples' skin is that many adults of the 70's grew up in the 40's and 50's where they would ingest a lower proportion of highly processed foods, food additives, and pharmaceuticals over their life compared to those younger.  That could perhaps make some difference in skin.

But I think what you're seeing is likely a difference in the quality of makeup.  In my recollection, a lot of makeup was heavier and brighter then vs. today.

Oh ok! I asked my mother as well and she said make up had certain oils and skin softeners in them back then.

Thanks!  :)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/06/21 at 11:41 pm

I have some questions...

Here is what I'm talking about. This is a make up ad from the 70s. As rosy as I am, I am not THAT dewy. Why did people have that look?

The quality of people's skins has not changed since the 70s. Skin is skin. It doesn't mutate from decade to decade. Not YET, anyway. :o  I'm not sure what this "dewy" is, but I'll tell you what the difference is you're noticing. Unlike back then, almost all famous people, models, etc today have an enormous amount of cosmetic surgery, Botox, stuff that makes their lips blow up to a grotesque look, etc. It's so common now, and starts from such a young age, that people are used to it and almost don't notice, but it's all pretty awful looking in the cold light of day. What you're seeing in the 70s is a bit more of a natural look. Less cosmetic enhancement. Sometimes in old TV shows from the 60s and 70s people's teeth look a lot darker than today. They didn't have them artificially whitened to that chalky unnatural hue like people do now. Maybe they would have, but the technology didn't exist yet.

Written By: violet_shy on 11/06/21 at 11:59 pm

The quality of people's skins has not changed since the 70s. Skin is skin. It doesn't mutate from decade to decade. Not YET, anyway. :o  I'm not sure what this "dewy" is, but I'll tell you what the difference is you're noticing. Unlike back then, almost all famous people, models, etc today have an enormous amount of cosmetic surgery, Botox, stuff that makes their lips blow up to a grotesque look, etc. It's so common now, and starts from such a young age, that people are used to it and almost don't notice, but it's all pretty awful looking in the cold light of day. What you're seeing in the 70s is a bit more of a natural look. Less cosmetic enhancement. Sometimes in old TV shows from the 60s and 70s people's teeth look a lot darker than today. They didn't have them artificially whitened to that chalky unnatural hue like people do now. Maybe they would have, but the technology didn't exist yet.

Maybe I'm the only one, but I kinda like the natural dewy look of the 70s more.....

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/07/21 at 12:10 am

Maybe I'm the only one, but I kinda like the natural dewy look of the 70s more.....

You're not the only one. I am another. Famous people today with all that cosmetic surgery look hideous. How that passes for beauty is beyond me, but people have been hypnotized into thinking it is. They look mutilated. Like they were in a car accident and put back together. Those awful, fake duck lips! I have noticed that actors in the UK don't go in for cosmetic surgery as much as the ones in the USA do.

Written By: Howard on 11/07/21 at 6:41 am

I think they ate much healthier back then compared to what people are eating today.

Written By: Howard on 11/07/21 at 6:43 am

You're not the only one. I am another. Famous people today with all that cosmetic surgery look hideous. How that passes for beauty is beyond me, but people have been hypnotized into thinking it is. They look mutilated. Like they were in a car accident and put back together. Those awful, fake duck lips! I have noticed that actors in the UK don't go in for cosmetic surgery as much as the ones in the USA do.

They pay a lot of money for cosmetic surgery nowadays just to look a certain way.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/10/21 at 9:21 am

IMO one thing that was different from that time frame vs. today (the whole era, not just 70's) is that pets were less coddled than today.  Sure, people loved and cared about/cared for their pets, and we had plenty of pets (or in rural Michigan where I lived there were "working animals" too).  But we didn't have the Petco-type stores, no "designer" pet foods, very little in animal outerwear, veterinarians were used a lot less, and pets were widely regarded as animals, not "children".  Not that people didn't get attached to pets then - of course we did.  But the pet "industry" we see today wasn't around then.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/10/21 at 9:56 am

IMO one thing that was different from that time frame vs. today (the whole era, not just 70's) is that pets were less coddled than today.  Sure, people loved and cared about/cared for their pets, and we had plenty of pets (or in rural Michigan where I lived there were "working animals" too).  But we didn't have the Petco-type stores, no "designer" pet foods, very little in animal outerwear, veterinarians were used a lot less, and pets were widely regarded as animals, not "children".  Not that people didn't get attached to pets then - of course we did.  But the pet "industry" we see today wasn't around then.

YES!! Less people owned dogs too. I certainly don't wish to generalize or stigmatize all pet owners who have a healthy, loving relationship with their pet. But today, especially in urban areas, there is a distinct and noticeable population of pet owners who have what I can only term as a very unnatural, very needy, very ALL CONSUMING attachment to their pets, specifically dogs. In the scheme of things, this is a relatively recent phenomenon.

Oh, and people didn't have "comfort animals" back then either. People loved their pets in an un-neurotic manner.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/10/21 at 10:16 am

Another difference between then and now, is that people were expected to get childhood diseases like measles. And then they recovered and life went on. When I was in grammar school, kids said things like "you had the chicken pox yet?". It was basically inevitable that it would happen. Nowadays, measles has been eradicated to the extent that if somebody gets measles it actually makes the news! "There's a measles outbreak!!".

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/10/21 at 10:22 am

Another difference between then and now, is that people were expected to get childhood diseases like measles. And then they recovered and life went on. When I was in grammar school, kids said things like "you had the chicken pox yet?". It was basically inevitable that it would happen. Nowadays, measles has been eradicated to the extent that if somebody gets measles it actually makes the news! "There's a measles outbreak!!".
There used to be 'chicken pox' or 'measles' parties, in order for the children to deliberately catch the disease.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/10/21 at 10:25 am

There used to be 'chicken pox' or 'measles' parties, in order for the children to deliberately catch the disease.

I certainly never heard of that. That's positively medieval!  :o

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/10/21 at 11:26 am

I don't remember anything like that.  Per my best recollection, our parents tried to avoid us getting sick.  But we got sick anyway.  I specifically recall having the mumps and chickenpox; I was told I also had german measles when a bit younger.  I don't know what else but I suspect there were others.  I don't recall going to the doctor with these diseases (when I had mumps, both my siblings had it too).

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/10/21 at 1:29 pm

I don't remember anything like that.  Per my best recollection, our parents tried to avoid us getting sick.  But we got sick anyway.  I specifically recall having the mumps and chickenpox; I was told I also had german measles when a bit younger.  I don't know what else but I suspect there were others.  I don't recall going to the doctor with these diseases (when I had mumps, both my siblings had it too).

The chickenpox party is over as scientists call for UK vaccine rollout

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/may/02/the-chickenpox-party-is-over-as-scientists-call-for-uk-vaccine-rollout

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/10/21 at 1:52 pm

The chickenpox party is over as scientists call for UK vaccine rollout

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/may/02/the-chickenpox-party-is-over-as-scientists-call-for-uk-vaccine-rollout

Those parents should be in jail!

Written By: Howard on 11/11/21 at 3:56 am

I caught the chicken pox from My brother back in The late 1970's.

Written By: Howard on 11/11/21 at 3:58 am

Didn't people also get Roseiola (I'm not sure of the spelling) too?

Written By: Howard on 11/11/21 at 3:59 am

Studio 54 and The Paradise Garage.

Written By: Mushroom on 11/21/21 at 5:59 pm

Depends on the year.  The early 1970's were very different than the late 1970's.

Written By: 90s Guy on 01/17/22 at 3:53 am

Depends on the year.  The early 1970's were very different than the late 1970's.

Describe both?

Check for new replies or respond here...