inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite songs by America?

Written By: violet_shy on 03/15/21 at 12:26 am

Ok...so. We used to have an oldie station in the middle of the 2000s that would play songs by America. I have to say this and I always say this, but I think in a previous life I lived during the 1970s. Then I died and was reborn in 1980...I am serious. To me everything about the later 70s are gorgeous. And whenever I hear a song by America I get these happy feelings because they're music was super beautiful! I know I'm a 80s/90s generation and have always stuck with what's current, but oldies are good too in some way! Sadly, Since the mid 2000s they don't play them anymore. Anyway, I'm curious which of America's songs did you like most?

I pick these two, and these are oldies to me. But, as I said before I feel like I remember these songs. I guess it is forever a mystery:

wXOR-L5Ir5g

nRl27t0FKpg

Subject: Re: Favorite songs by America?

Written By: whistledog on 03/15/21 at 2:08 am

All the ones I like best came from their "comeback" period in the early 80s.  You Can Do Magic was one of my favourite songs growing up, but it comes second to The Border from 1983.  The sax solo (at 2:38 in the clip) is one of my most favourite things ever!

Q4LsgsOHL8s

To round out a Top 3, I have to go with Special GirlOriginally written and recorded by Canadian singer/songwriter Eddie Schwartz in 1984, and while that version is great, America's version is an instance where the cover version is better.  I could listen to this on a loop and not get bored.  It's so beautiful!

6lbt4y65gBY

Written By: Howard on 03/15/21 at 3:55 am

Tin Man
A Horse With No Name
You Can Do Magic

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/15/21 at 11:11 am

My favorites were always Today’s The Day and You Can Do Magic. But lately I’ve been discovering more from the yacht rock channel.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/15/21 at 11:25 am

Ok...so. We used to have an oldie station in the middle of the 2000s that would play songs by America. I have to say this and I always say this, but I think in a previous life I lived during the 1970s. Then I died and was reborn in 1980...I am serious. T

I wasn't sure if a soul (to use a term) could reincarnate that fast, but I looked into it a bit and apparently it can happen. I'm not sure it's advisable though. Soul energy should rest a bit between incarnations.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/15/21 at 11:56 am

I saw America live in 1986 on a double bill with Stephen Stills. They even did a few songs together. Stills's "Change Partners" and a cover of Neil Young's "Only Love Can Break Your Heart".

Written By: violet_shy on 03/15/21 at 1:00 pm

I wasn't sure if a soul (to use a term) could reincarnate that fast, but I looked into it a bit and apparently it can happen. I'm not sure it's advisable though. Soul energy should rest a bit between incarnations.

x89_sh-R2l0

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/15/21 at 4:35 pm

Ok...so. We used to have an oldie station in the middle of the 2000s that would play songs by America. I have to say this and I always say this, but I think in a previous life I lived during the 1970s. Then I died and was reborn in 1980...I am serious. To me everything about the later 70s are gorgeous. And whenever I hear a song by America I get these happy feelings because they're music was super beautiful! I know I'm a 80s/90s generation and have always stuck with what's current, but oldies are good too in some way! Sadly, Since the mid 2000s they don't play them anymore. Anyway, I'm curious which of America's songs did you like most?

I LOVE the group America and have attended their live performances many times - the most spectacular of which was in 2005, their PBS-televised Soundstage performance.  It's curious to me that an oldies station would play deep cuts from America's highly underrated IMO but not completely popular Hat Trick album (most oldies stations that care to make money avoid deep cuts) - nonetheless, I really love both of your song choices, Rainbow Song and Green Monkey.  I really like their deep cuts, on the whole more than their "hits" but pause to say I love their big hits too.

Here's another "deep cut" I also adore (among many others):

America - To Each His Own (from Homecoming)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvSLONArzEk

Incidentally, the Soundstage performance as made available on DVD is on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHHxo2Sm71A

The Soundstage performance is cut down BTW.  At the Soundstage recording, I declare the group played for 3 hours!  :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/15/21 at 4:53 pm

Lonely People

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYGvKc7Q1PU

Cat

Subject: Favorite songs by America?

Written By: Dude111 on 03/15/21 at 7:41 pm

A horse with no name

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/15/21 at 9:33 pm

Among their big smash hits I love - from my H. S. Sophomore year -

America - Sister Golden Hair (spring 1975)  :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gibSb1_GGw

Written By: Mitch Kramer on 03/16/21 at 8:06 am

C#m A E Esus4 E G#m C#m B A

When I was a kid, I often didn't know the names of the songs or artists I was hearing on the radio, but I do have a good memory for music (a very long tonal memory; not as good with lyrics though).  There was no internet back then and so the only way to find out was to ask someone, but I didn't have any friends and I was very passive and shy, etc.

Later on, when I got to college, my freshman year RA asked me if I liked America.  I said something along the lines of it's got some flaws: poverty, wealth inequality, racism, evil foreign policy and we all know Reagan sucks.

NO, NO, NO!  The BAND America!

me: ???

He dives into his massive record collection (there were so many cool things in it; he was a DJ for the campus radio station).  He pulls out an album and puts the record on.  After that second chord, I IMMEDIATELY knew what he was talking about and jumped up and said "YEAH!"

t5dEYi-Mllw

Written By: Mitch Kramer on 03/16/21 at 8:10 am

||: G Em Bm G7/F CMaj7 Am G Em Bm G7/F CMaj7 Am :||

Like the flower needs the rain
You know I need you

jAQq0PV2yow

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/16/21 at 11:22 am

Here's another "deep cut" I adore, penned and lead sung by the late great Dan Peek -

America - Rainy Day (from their debut America album):  :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbzwgUb4tJ4

Written By: Contigo on 03/16/21 at 12:52 pm

Ventura Highway
Sister Golden Hair

Written By: nally on 03/16/21 at 5:27 pm

Tin Man
Ventura Highway
Sister Golden Hair

...and they also had one big hit in the 1980s, "You Can Do Magic" (1982) which I think is also a nice song.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/16/21 at 7:42 pm

Not really a "deep cut", more of a minor hit, Dewey Bunnell penned and lead sings in this beauty -

America - Amber Cascades (1976)  :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bBsmTTaOdY

Written By: violet_shy on 03/16/21 at 7:57 pm

Not really a "deep cut", more of a minor hit, Dewey Bunnell penned and lead sings in this beauty -

America - Amber Cascades (1976)  :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bBsmTTaOdY

This one's beautiful. Thanks for posting it.

Written By: violet_shy on 03/16/21 at 8:15 pm

Why do I feel like I've listened to these songs before? I'm getting that whole reincarnated vibe all over again. And even the band members. I've definitely seen them before! And the same thing happens with other songs and specific things from the mid to late 70s. So weird. :o

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/16/21 at 8:22 pm

Why do I feel like I've listened to these songs before? I'm getting that whole reincarnated vibe all over again. And even the band members. I've definitely seen them before! And the same thing happens with other songs and specific things from the mid to late 70s. So weird. :o

They were definitely on the radio in the early 80. Not rock or dance stations but they were common light pop. My mom listened to a lot of it.

Aside from the pandemic of course, the two remaining original members are still touring. In some photos one of them reminds me of John Boy from the Waltons.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/16/21 at 8:34 pm

Sandman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZN2-n_BIKI

Written By: violet_shy on 03/16/21 at 8:36 pm

They were definitely on the radio in the early 80. Not rock or dance stations but they were common light pop. My mom listened to a lot of it.

Aside from the pandemic of course, the two remaining original members are still touring. In some photos one of them reminds me of John Boy from the Waltons.

That would make some sense to me, but my parents never listened to America in the 80s. I never did either. And they were never played on our radio stations back where we lived. First song I ever heard was "Magic" by Olivia Newton John. And from then on I remember more 80s songs.

Sorry I'm off topic everyone. This is weird. ::) I think I'll get off inthe00s for tonight. 

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/16/21 at 8:48 pm

In some photos one of them reminds me of John Boy from the Waltons.

;D

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/17/21 at 11:31 am

Here's a 1975 "live" version of a tune I've seen the group perform live a few times (this was a pre-recording for the German Musikladen show, no audience - I have it on DVD).  Its studio version appears on Hat Trick.  Dewey Bunnell takes the lead in this gem ("John Boy" AKA Gerry Beckley is at the piano):

America - Wind Wave    :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaBwDy4lNqY

Written By: Howard on 03/17/21 at 3:23 pm

Tin Man
Ventura Highway
Sister Golden Hair

...and they also had one big hit in the 1980s, "You Can Do Magic" (1982) which I think is also a nice song.

I like "You Can Do Magic", such a good video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt4cR9szMS8

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/18/21 at 8:10 am

I only really know "A Horse With No Name" and "Ventura Highway" by America, unitl I was reminded of "You Can Do Magic". I like all this tracks.

I did know that America was formed in London in 1970, the trio met as sons of US Air Force personnel stationed in the United Kingdom.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/18/21 at 8:26 am

I pick these two, and these are oldies to me. But, as I said before I feel like I remember these songs. I guess it is forever a mystery:

Had you considered a poll for this topic?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/19/21 at 4:19 pm

Not their biggest hit, but definitely a good listen.  From their masterful 1972 Homecoming LP.  Dan Peek takes the lead in this gem -

America - Don't Cross The River  :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDCmIyIfRUY

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/19/21 at 10:02 pm

I have one more "deep cut" for now.  This Gerry Beckley penned/sung folksy gem is complete with its own delectable banjo picking.  From Hat Trick, 1973:

America - Submarine Ladies    :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR4j0m7Ya_8

Written By: nally on 03/20/21 at 1:45 am

I did know that America was formed in London in 1970, the trio met as sons of US Air Force personnel stationed in the United Kingdom.

Yes that's right! O0 Which is probably why they decided on America as the name for their band.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/20/21 at 5:16 am

Not their biggest hit, but definitely a good listen.  From their masterful 1972 Homecoming LP.  Dan Peek takes the lead in this gem -

Fun fact: The America's Greatest Hits album cover was illustrated by Phil Hartman.

Yes, the Phil Hartman.  ;)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/20/21 at 9:24 am

By the way, when America first came to prominence in 1972 they were bitterly accused of being Neil Young imitators. Young himself was riding high at the time with "Heart of Gold" and "Old Man" which were on the charts at the same time as "Horse With No Name", adding fuel to the fire. Neil Young famously almost fired his own manager Elliot Roberts because Roberts  started to represent America as well. Young said "why do you want them when you've got the real one?".

Speaking of "Horse With No Name", a mysterious and little known Tommy James song called "Cat's Eye In the Window" started to get a small bit of airplay in 72. I believe it was recorded in 1970-71. If you ask me, it sounds an awful lot like "Horse With No Name" which came later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TedDjUy_Kpw

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/20/21 at 10:04 am

By the way, when America first came to prominence in 1972 they were bitterly accused of being Neil Young imitators. Young himself was riding high at the time with "Heart of Gold" and "Old Man" which were on the charts at the same time as "Horse With No Name", adding fuel to the fire. Neil Young famously almost fired his own manager Elliot Roberts because Roberts  started to represent America as well. Young said "why do you want them when you've got the real one?".

Speaking of "Horse With No Name", a mysterious and little known Tommy James song called "Cat's Eye In the Window" started to get a small bit of airplay in 72. I believe it was recorded in 1970-71. If you ask me, it sounds an awful lot like "Horse With No Name" which came later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TedDjUy_Kpw

Sounds a LOT like it.

Written By: violet_shy on 03/21/21 at 12:37 pm

"And if you want you can ride my train. And soon forget the reason that you're leaving. You'll lose yourself and then sometime, maybe even save yourself some grieving.."

Beautiful.❤

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/21/21 at 7:42 pm

"And if you want you can ride my train. And soon forget the reason that you're leaving. You'll lose yourself and then sometime, maybe even save yourself some grieving.."

Beautiful.❤

O0 Glad you like it!

Written By: violet_shy on 03/22/21 at 3:58 pm

The band gave me permission to sing a cover version of any of their songs! I'm so excited!! I just finished this cover of "Ventura Highway" at a friend's house. I hope you all like it! Don't mind the background noises I was at my friend's place.

EHxbsT6X0dw

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/22/21 at 4:02 pm

The band gave me permission to sing a cover version of any of their songs! I'm so excited!! I just finished this cover of "Ventura Highway" at a friend's house. I hope you all like it! Don't mind the background noises I was at my friend's place.

EHxbsT6X0dw

Permission from all the members?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/22/21 at 4:39 pm

Permission from all the members?

Well, one of the members, Dan Peek, is deceased, but the composer of the song, Dewey Bunnell is still alive. He's the one who would get the royalties. Wikipedia says he says this about "Ventura Highway":

Dewey Bunnell, the song's vocalist and writer, has said that the lyric "alligator lizards in the air" in the song is a reference to the shapes of clouds in the sky he saw in 1963 while his family was driving down the coast from Vandenberg Air Force Base near Lompoc, California, where they had a flat tire. While his father changed the tire, his brother and he stood by the side of the road and watched the clouds and saw a road sign for "Ventura".

Written By: violet_shy on 03/23/21 at 9:57 pm

Must...contain myself.... :-X :-X :-X

I HAVE A BIG SECRET. I MUST TELL...SOMEBODY!!

Can somebody private message me? I need to tell someone...and I'll stop being so weird!  ::) I promise.

Check for new replies or respond here...