inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1977-1984: It's own cultural era?

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/07/21 at 10:10 am

I would say that the period of 1977-1984 forms its own cultural era:

-Rise of blockbusters (started in '75 with Jaws) is cemented with Star Wars; this continues throughout the early 1980s

-Disco becomes in 1977 THE dominant genre in pop music rather than just another popular genre and lasts into the early 1980s as dance music and Italo Disco, Punk is at its peak for rock music. Rise of what would become Hair Metal in the late 70s with bands like KISS and Van Halen becoming popular by the end of the 1970s.

-Noticeably 1970s fashions begin to disappear, but notably or stereotypically "80s" fashion styles (what are remembered as 80s fashion) don't really appear until around the spring of 1984. You can look at High School photos from 1980-1983 and there's more similarities with late 1970s styles than there is with stereotypically '80s fashions. The Farah Fawcett hair of the second half of the 70s persists for women. Men have medium length hair cuts parted in the middle as was typical in the late 70s.

Subject: Re: 1977-1984: It's own cultural era?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/07/21 at 10:54 am

I lived through this time period as a near adult/adult.  (H.S. class of 1977.)

The culture shifted significantly in early 1981.  One could feel it in the air, it was almost seismic.

Yes, people may have continued wearing fashion from the late 70's.  Who opens their closet on Jan 1 1980 and says, "all this stuff's gotta go"?  (A few maybe do, the vast majority don't.)  Fashion changes are always gradual to some extent.  Heck, as I type this, the shirt I'm wearing today (2021) was probably purchased in 2018 - is that me being culturally 2010s?  No, it's that I like my shirt!  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/07/21 at 11:03 am

Seventies Disco was born on Valentine's Day 1970, when David Manusco opened The Loft in New York City, and it rapidly faded in 1980.

...and the first single in the UK Charts with a reference to 'disco' was in 1975 with Hamilton Bohannon's "Disco Stomp".

Disco was in it's own being long before 1977.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/07/21 at 11:35 am

Seventies Disco was born on Valentine's Day 1970, when David Manusco opened The Loft in New York City, and it rapidly faded in 1980.

...and the first single in the UK Charts with a reference to 'disco' was in 1975 with Hamilton Bohannon's "Disco Stomp".

Disco didn't become mainstream in the U.S. that early.  My understanding is that it may have been more popular in other European countries first.  (Lingering racial attitudes in the early 70s U.S. may have contributed.)  Nonetheless Disco became a musical factor in the U.S. starting around mid-1973, although it would be several years until Disco became the dominant genre (when it really drew the ire of many).  Up through early 1976, Disco played nice alongside other genres.

Agree 100% about its rapid demise in 1980.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/07/21 at 11:37 am

I lived through this time period as a near adult/adult.  (H.S. class of 1977.)

The culture shifted significantly in early 1981.  One could feel it in the air, it was almost seismic.

Yes, people may have continued wearing fashion from the late 70's.  Who opens their closet on Jan 1 1980 and says, "all this stuff's gotta go"?  (A few maybe do, the vast majority don't.)  Fashion changes are always gradual to some extent.  Heck, as I type this, the shirt I'm wearing today (2021) was probably purchased in 2018 - is that me being culturally 2010s?  No, it's that I like my shirt!  ;D

Absolutely correct! The change in feeling by 1981 was palpable. It was tangible. You could FEEL it. I don't know how 90s Guy is formulating these theories that don't jive with the experiences of people who lived through that period. He just doesn't sound like somebody who was there to me.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/07/21 at 11:41 am

Disco didn't become mainstream in the U.S. that early.  My understanding is that it may have been more popular in other European countries first.  (Lingering racial attitudes in the early 70s U.S. may have contributed.)  Nonetheless Disco became a musical factor in the U.S. starting around mid-1973, although it would be several years until Disco became the dominant genre (when it really drew the ire of many).  Up through early 1976, Disco played nice alongside other genres.

Became mainstream with "Saturday Night Fever", a film which I fell asleep watching it.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/07/21 at 11:41 am

The earliest forms of disco in the US, to some degree maybe 73, but largely 74-75 was pretty much strictly the province of gay men (and to some degree Black and Latino ) in underground clubs in urban centers such as New York, far, far away from the mainstream. I even have an article from the old Crawdaddy rock magazine from the mid 70s (Crawdaddy was a GREAT magazine) talking about this "underground phenomenon" among the aforementioned minority demographics.

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/07/21 at 11:47 am

Musically, that era coincides with yacht rock. Smooth sounds by top of the line session cats. The era of high tech analog synths. Even non yacht music had a certain sound with the synths that were popular in this era,  especially the prophet 5. Like The Cars.

In 1983 the DX7 was released, and by 1984, crisp digital preset sounds pretty much dominated the rest of the decade.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/07/21 at 12:14 pm

Musically, that era coincides with yacht rock. Smooth sounds by top of the line session cats. The era of high tech analog synths. Even non yacht music had a certain sound with the synths that were popular in this era,  especially the prophet 5. Like The Cars.

In 1983 the DX7 was released, and by 1984, crisp digital preset sounds pretty much dominated the rest of the decade.

True, this was the main big period for "yacht rock".  Which was definitely a thing, but never the thing, during that timeframe.  Yacht rock (not what we called it then) definitely made an impact when it came to Top 40 sounds of the time.

Agreed about the influence of digital music - it was a significant factor in the sound going forward.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/07/21 at 12:17 pm

I have to say, I take issue with this term "yacht rock". It's foolish. In the mid-late 70s when the artists were making this music they didn't call it that in any way, shape of form. It was often termed "soft rock", for example, which has since gone on to be a derogatory term in many ways, although it wasn't one then. Mind you, I know what "yacht rock" basically means, but it started as a jokey, derogatory term and, somehow, in recent years, actually settled into a seeming bona fide genre with it's own radio stations, Spotify playlists, etc. But it's basically a bogus term and I wish it would go away. I mean, would a person actually go up to a (surviving) member of Steely Dan, for example, and say "I appreciate all that great yacht rock music you've made all over the years"? They'd likely get a punch in the nose! I've even heard Fleetwood Mac referred to as "yacht rock". Go tell that to Stevie Nicks and see what she does. Just get out of the way when she does it.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/07/21 at 12:54 pm

I have to say, I take issue with this term "yacht rock". It's foolish. In the mid-late 70s when the artists were making this music they didn't call it that in any way, shape of form. It was often termed "soft rock", for example, which has since gone on to be a derogatory term in many ways, although it wasn't one then. Mind you, I know what "yacht rock" basically means, but it started as a jokey, derogatory term and, somehow, in recent years, actually settled into a seeming bona fide genre with it's own radio stations, Spotify playlists, etc. But it's basically a bogus term and I wish it would go away. I mean, would a person actually go up to a (surviving) member of Steely Dan, for example, and say "I appreciate all that great yacht rock music you've made all over the years"? They'd likely get a punch in the nose! I've even heard Fleetwood Mac referred to as "yacht rock". Go tell that to Stevie Nicks and see what she does. Just get out of the way when she does it.

Do you have SiriusXM? They have a seasonal channel called Yacht Rock Radio which comes on during the summer months, and it's great to listen to when you're driving around on nice summer days.

The best part about it is that after every few songs they'll do these promos with this announcer who has an over-the-top, snobbish voice (think Thurston Howell III from Gilligan's Island or Judge Smails from Caddyshack), and they're absolutely hilarious.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/07/21 at 12:59 pm

Do you have SiriusXM? They have a seasonal channel called Yacht Rock Radio which comes on during the summer months, and it's great to listen to when you're driving around on nice summer days.

The best part about it is that after every few songs they'll do these promos with this announcer who has an over-the-top, snobbish voice (think Thurston Howell III from Gilligan's Island or Judge Smails from Caddyshack), and they're absolutely hilarious.

That's good because it indicates that even the people classifying it as "Yacht Rock" don't take the term seriously even though much of the music is worth hearing. It's all marketing these days.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/07/21 at 1:11 pm

Having never heard of "yacht rock" before, the only song I can associate is from 1982 Duran Duran's "Rio" which featured a yacht.

nTizYn3-QN0

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/07/21 at 1:32 pm

I have never heard the term "yacht rock." What does that even mean?

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/07/21 at 1:34 pm

Cat
Good question, and forgot to ask.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/07/21 at 1:38 pm

Cat

If you read this Wikipedia description, apparently nobody knows:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yacht_rock#:~:text=Yacht%20rock%20(originally%20known%20as,mid%2D1970s%20to%20early%201980s.

Essentially, it's  fake term. It started out tongue-in-cheek, but somehow it stuck.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/07/21 at 1:40 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yacht_rock#:~:text=Yacht%20rock%20(originally%20known%20as,mid%2D1970s%20to%20early%201980s.

Essentially, it's  fake term. It started out tongue-in-cheek, but somehow it stuck.
'Yuck rock'?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/07/21 at 1:41 pm

Cat

I think Sirius/XM may have invented it.  (Oops, Wiki says otherwise.  Still, we didn't use the term then.)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/07/21 at 1:42 pm

"Sailing" by Rod Stewart?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/07/21 at 1:45 pm

Ooh, same name different song: Sailing by Christopher Cross.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 05/07/21 at 2:06 pm

You also had Studio 54 And The Paradise Garage.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/07/21 at 2:08 pm

I think Sirius/XM may have invented it.  (Oops, Wiki says otherwise.  Still, we didn't use the term then.)

This Wikipedia bit is as close as it comes to describing the name, where it came from, and it's negative origins:

The term "yacht rock" did not exist contemporaneously with the music the term describes, from about 1975 to 1984. It refers to "adult-oriented rock" (or "West Coast Sound") which became identified with yacht rock in 2005, when the term was coined in J. D. Ryznar et al.'s online video series of the same name. Understood as a pejorative term, "yacht rock" referred, in part, to a stereotypical yuppie yacht owner enjoying smooth music while sailing. Many "yacht rockers" included nautical references in their lyrics, videos, and album artwork, exemplified by Christopher Cross's anthemic track, "Sailing" Long mocked for "its saccharine sincerity and garish fashion", the original stigma attached to the music has lessened since about 2015.

Written By: karen on 05/07/21 at 2:12 pm

Cat

Only ever seen it mentioned here on the boards. And only in the past year at that.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/07/21 at 2:16 pm

You also had Studio 54 And The Paradise Garage.

Nope. Both Studio 54 and Paradise Garage opened in 1977. NOT the early period Eno is referring to in his post. Those two clubs were part of (indeed the definition of, in the case of Studio 54) the commercial 1977-1980 era of disco. Eno's post, and my post concerning the Crawdaddy article about the underground era of disco were talking about an earlier period. The early, underground disco clubs of the mid 70s, frequented by gay men and to some extent an African-American and Latino demographic  in urban areas were likely far less glitzy places.

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/07/21 at 8:00 pm

I agree that it wasn’t called yacht rock at the time. But as with many musical phases, almost everyone was jumping on the bandwagon. Even country artists and guys like Johnny Mathis getting that sound. I listen to yacht rock Miami and Out of the Main.

The name I could take it or leave it, but it is what it is. It’s a genre that you can find channels and collections, and I appreciate that. Before that, it was just hit or miss. I’ve liked this music since I was a little kid.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/07/21 at 8:36 pm

I absolutely think there was a genre of music that could be categorized as "yacht rock,"  because so much of the late 1970's Southern California soft rock and adult contemporary music was made by the same small core group of musicians and songwriters.

At the center of it all was Michael McDonald. In addition to his work with the Doobie Brothers, he also sang backing vocals on songs by Steely Dan, Kenny Loggins, Christopher Cross and others.

I'm telling you, if you listen closely to the songs on Yacht Rock Radio, you can hear Michael McDonald's backing vocals on half of them.

I like to refer to Michael McDonald as "The Admiral of Yacht Rock."  ;D

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/07/21 at 9:43 pm

I absolutely think there was a genre of music that could be categorized as "yacht rock,"  because so much of the late 1970's Southern California soft rock and adult contemporary music was made by the same small core group of musicians and songwriters.

At the center of it all was Michael McDonald. In addition to his work with the Doobie Brothers, he also sang backing vocals on songs by Steely Dan, Kenny Loggins, Christopher Cross and others.

I'm telling you, if you listen closely to the songs on Yacht Rock Radio, you can hear Michael McDonald's backing vocals on half of them.

I like to refer to Michael McDonald as "The Admiral of Yacht Rock."  ;D

Totally agree. Out of the Main calls him “the captain of the boat”.

Plenty of soft rock didn’t qualify, or prog, or rock, or country, or west coast, whatever. But plenty did and you know it when you hear it. You couldn’t contain it in one place until the term yacht rock was coined and we could get shows and stations. It was more of the style, the session cats that created it, the way the instruments were played and mixed. In addition to many Michael McDonald vocals, one thing I noticed is the prophet 5 brass sound, I’ve never heard so much of it concentrated in one place.

Written By: karen on 05/08/21 at 11:36 am

This song always reminds me of my mum because when she heard it she would often remember a school show we saw. The local education authority organised an annual concert that was a combination of short plays performed by various primary (elementary) schools in the county. My brother was in a play about Henry the Eighth and when some of them were sailing in a Tudor warship the song Sailing played. Two girls came on stage carrying large blue flags and did a sort gymnastic/dance mix whirling these huge flags around.

Written By: Howard on 05/08/21 at 1:46 pm

I agree that it wasn’t called yacht rock at the time. But as with many musical phases, almost everyone was jumping on the bandwagon. Even country artists and guys like Johnny Mathis getting that sound. I listen to yacht rock Miami and Out of the Main.

The name I could take it or leave it, but it is what it is. It’s a genre that you can find channels and collections, and I appreciate that. Before that, it was just hit or miss. I’ve liked this music since I was a little kid.

So I guess "yacht rock" was a sound that was relaxing.

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/08/21 at 4:31 pm

So I guess "yacht rock" was a sound that was relaxing.

In some ways, but not all relaxing music is yacht. The way the music is constructed, every instrument is equally important and has its space. When I was a kid and teen, I used to call it black space music, because I could visualize the space between all the notes and instruments. In a sense it might be soft rock meets prog rock, without the psychedelic factor. When I was little it used to make me imagine the lifestyle of wealthy people.

Soft music that is more acoustic guitar driven is considered more folk. Yacht is more high tech with a slight bounce. Intelligent key changes and chords approaching jazz, but no so distanced from mainstream radio. Half time shuffles which are relaxing. Certain keyboard riffs that Michael McDonald also made popular when he was with the Doobies. Lyrics about fools, sailing, beaches. It’s really a whole picture.

Besides the vocals of Michael McDonald, any of the members of TOTO are often included, they were session guys who also had a band.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/09/21 at 12:13 am

In some ways, but not all relaxing music is yacht. The way the music is constructed, every instrument is equally important and has its space. When I was a kid and teen, I used to call it black space music, because I could visualize the space between all the notes and instruments. In a sense it might be soft rock meets prog rock, without the psychedelic factor. When I was little it used to make me imagine the lifestyle of wealthy people.

Soft music that is more acoustic guitar driven is considered more folk. Yacht is more high tech with a slight bounce. Intelligent key changes and chords approaching jazz, but no so distanced from mainstream radio. Half time shuffles which are relaxing. Certain keyboard riffs that Michael McDonald also made popular when he was with the Doobies. Lyrics about fools, sailing, beaches. It’s really a whole picture.

That genre of music paints a nice picture for me. When I'm cruising around on a nice summer day with the sunroof open while listening to Yacht Rock Radio, I like to imagine that there are millionaires who are listening to that station at the same time while they're sailing their yachts off the coasts of Southern California and Florida, surrounded by beautiful, scantily-clad women, relaxing and enjoying a drink as the sun goes down.  8)

Besides the vocals of Michael McDonald, any of the members of TOTO are often included, they were session guys who also had a band.

The future members of Toto were the backing musicians on Boz Scaggs' hit 1977 album Silk Degrees. There was absolutely epic, flawless musicianship on that album. Jeff Porcaro's drumming on that record was amazing.  :)

Written By: Contigo on 05/09/21 at 2:51 pm

Absolutely. And I was there too , slightly  older than you are.

Check for new replies or respond here...