inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Colors or color grading in the 1970s

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/12/21 at 4:50 pm

When I look at a lot of films - both TV news and cinematic films - from the 70s to I suppose early 80s or so - everything just looks DIFFERENT. Like, greens (for example trees, grass) look somehow more vivid, more green if that makes sense. Browns look more brown. Skies look paler but still blue.

I don't know if it was just color grading - but then again this is across a broad spectrum of media over a decade - or if the pollution of the era had any effect on how things looked.

https://hannahmchaffie.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/80aea-wickermm.jpg

https://assets.bigcartel.com/product_images/134418234/WatkinsGlenWeb.jpg?auto=format&fit=max&h=1200&w=1200

https://www.colleencorby.net/colleen1973/catalogs1973/images/colleen-corby-jcpenney1-spring-summer-1973.jpg

Subject: Re: Colors or color grading in the 1970s

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/12/21 at 6:28 pm

First of all, please limit only 3 pics per post. I'll let you edit it. If you don't, I will.

Also, in terms of colors, pictures and movies were taken on film (unlike digital today). A lot of the colors depended on the quality of the film, exposure, lighting, etc. Also, in terms of professional pics/movies, they were often doctored (much like they are today).

Cat

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/12/21 at 6:42 pm

First of all, please limit only 3 pics per post. I'll let you edit it. If you don't, I will.

Also, in terms of colors, pictures and movies were taken on film (unlike digital today). A lot of the colors depended on the quality of the film, exposure, lighting, etc. Also, in terms of professional pics/movies, they were often doctored (much like they are today).

Cat

I edited it. I didn't need a threat to do so.

And I've taken pictures on film, I used a 1970s era camera in High School for a class. Just because I was born later doesn't mean I am ignorant of analog.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/12/21 at 6:56 pm

I edited it. I didn't need a threat to do so.

And I've taken pictures on film, I used a 1970s era camera in High School for a class. Just because I was born later doesn't mean I am ignorant of analog.

It wasn't a threat.

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/12/21 at 7:39 pm

The pollution of that era or this era had nothing whatsoever to do with how colors looked. I assure you the outside air looked the same color(s) in the 1970s as it does today. It's the type of film that was used. When I look at almost any film from the 70s now I notice they have a decided tint or tone to them. it's unmistakable. But it has nothing to do with the color of the air. Nice try.

Written By: Elor on 05/13/21 at 12:32 am

You can tell pretty much every decade from the 1940s till the 1980ies apart from how the colors of pictures look like. You can also see that in movies. Every decade had better technology and the colors became truer to what they were in real live. That has nothing to do with pollution it's just a sign of how technology progresses.

Well, but you didn't use a 1970ies film for obvious reasons. That's what makes the difference. ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/21 at 2:21 am

From 1935 to when it was discontinued in 2009,think Kodachrome. As digital photography reduced the demand for all film after 2000, Kodachrome sales further declined. On June 22, 2009, Kodak announced it would no longer manufacture Kodachrome film, citing declining demand.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/13/21 at 1:09 pm

There is also how the film was developed and the quality of the chemicals used in the developing process. My brother used to develop his own film and I used to sit with him in his dark room watching the process. There was nothing to say that the film has been exposed enough except (in this case) my brother's eye. There were many times he would over-expose it or under expose it. Sometimes he would do it purposely to show me what it looked like.

There is something else, color in photos fade over time.

My point of my first post and this one, is that there are a lot of variables that go into film photos and how color comes out.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/21 at 1:52 pm

Google says:

"Trendy colors were bright green, turquoise, sunshine yellow, orange and brown. White was used everywhere – in furniture as well as for backgrounds to offset brighter colors. Strong uses of black and white were often accented with a bright color by use of pillows, accent chairs and other fixtures."

Check for new replies or respond here...