inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: A day in August 1973

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/12/21 at 8:15 pm

My grandfather (left), age 53, and his two brothers, age 63 and 61, on August 5th, 1973
https://i.postimg.cc/BJKgKy3X/8-5-73-1.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/2zNxFwjT/8-5-73-2.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/1JjKyB6/8-5-1973-4.png

Subject: Re: A day in August 1973

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/12/21 at 8:26 pm

^

My grandfather (left), age 53, and his two brothers, age 63 and 61, on August 5th, 1973

Nice pictures!  This would make a great entry in the "Decade Photos - 1970's" thread (under "Say Cheese... Photos").

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/12/21 at 8:30 pm

Love the clothesline in the background! A common thing back then. Clothes smelled very fresh when dried outdoors.

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/12/21 at 8:35 pm

Love the clothesline in the background! A common thing back then. Clothes smelled very fresh when dried outdoors.

More clotheslines. My step-grandfather in the backyard...Maybe 1973 or 1974 judging by his appearance.
https://i.ibb.co/myqtBLY/img287.jpg

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/12/21 at 8:35 pm

When I lived in Michigan on a farm as a teenager we often dried our clothes on the clothesline outside.  The clothes came out very fresh.  The one issue was if it was January and there was a foot of snow on the ground!  ;D

Written By: 2001 on 05/12/21 at 8:38 pm

When I go abroad I still see clotheslines. I thought the reason we didn't do it in Canada is because it's too cold. I guess not?  ???

Maybe I'll try using a clothesline this summer, since a lot of my clothes can't go in the dryer anyway.

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/12/21 at 8:39 pm

Question:

Why did clotheslines disappear by the 1990s? Were dryers just that uncommon in the 1970s?
By even the summer before my birth, the summer of 1990, laundry was being done in dryers. I know this because my sister is chastised in a June '90 film for not drying clothes in the dryer properly.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/12/21 at 8:40 pm

Are these folks Italian or Italian-American by any chance? Just a guess. They remind me of some that I know. Especially with what appears to be a tomato garden.

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/12/21 at 8:49 pm

Are these folks Italian or Italian-American by any chance? Just a guess. They remind me of some that I know. Especially with what appears to be a tomato garden.

Italian and Irish American, depending on the photo. My grandfather was Italian, my step-grandpa was Irish (but raised in an Italian neighborhood).

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/12/21 at 8:50 pm

Question:

Why did clotheslines disappear by the 1990s? Were dryers just that uncommon in the 1970s?
By even the summer before my birth, the summer of 1990, laundry was being done in dryers. I know this because my sister is chastised in a June '90 film for not drying clothes in the dryer properly.

Dryers were not that uncommon in the 70s, though there are certainly more now. I'm not exactly sure why hanging clothes outside died out, but I do know in some cases in certain "ritzier" neighborhoods that have "neighborhood associations" and such, hanging clothes outside was actually BANNED. They considered it tacky. I actually read about this.  :o

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/12/21 at 8:51 pm

Question:

Dryers were very common in the 70's, perhaps not 100% universal.  We lived in an old farmhouse that didn't have the necessary hookups to ventilate a dryer (though maybe it could've been put in???).  We usually hauled the laundry off to the laundromat, in the next town over about 4 miles away.  But in the summer we sometimes used the rickety old washing machine and hung stuff outside.

(The house we lived in before the farmhouse had a washer/dryer)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/12/21 at 8:51 pm

Italian and Irish American, depending on the photo. My grandfather was Italian, my step-grandpa was Irish (but raised in an Italian neighborhood).

I KNEW it!  ;)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/12/21 at 9:29 pm

There was a time the streets of New York (or at least the alleys between dwellings) looked like this:

http://static01.nyt.com/images/2009/05/31/nyregion/31clothesline2.large.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale

Written By: karen on 05/13/21 at 1:19 am

When I go abroad I still see clotheslines. I thought the reason we didn't do it in Canada is because it's too cold. I guess not?  ???

Maybe I'll try using a clothesline this summer, since a lot of my clothes can't go in the dryer anyway.

I don’t know what the summer weather is like in Canada in terms of humidity? I usually dry my clothes outside on a line in the U.K. and tried to do the same when we lived in Connecticut. However in the summer the air was often still and somewhat humid. My washing line was quite low down and didn’t catch any kind of breeze. This meant the washing sometimes went kind of musty smelling.

In the U.K. houses are often much smaller than those in the US, and we don’t generally have basements. This means many houses don’t have room for a tumble drier. My parents, for example, stored theirs in the hallway and moved it into the centre of the kitchen when they needed to use it. My grandparents stored theirs on the back patio!

They (parents and grandparents) both bought their driers sometime in the early to mid seventies. My dad still talks about running around from shop to shop trying to get a particular model a day or so before some new government budget was announced. There had been a rumour about VAT (sales tax) going up or being put on white goods or something so he was trying to buy one before the price went up. He got the drier mum wanted, but the government didn’t actually make the change he was worried about!

Written By: Mitch Kramer on 05/13/21 at 7:25 am

Question:

Why did clotheslines disappear by the 1990s?

They didn't.

There are still plenty of clothes lines today.

Written By: Howard on 05/13/21 at 7:27 am

When I lived in Michigan on a farm as a teenager we often dried our clothes on the clothesline outside.  The clothes came out very fresh.  The one issue was if it was January and there was a foot of snow on the ground!  ;D

AG, Didn't they have washers back then?  ???

Written By: Howard on 05/13/21 at 7:28 am

How long did it take to dry completely?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/13/21 at 9:37 am

AG, Didn't they have washers back then?  ???

Yes...

Dryers were very common in the 70's, perhaps not 100% universal.  We lived in an old farmhouse that didn't have the necessary hookups to ventilate a dryer (though maybe it could've been put in???).  We usually hauled the laundry off to the laundromat, in the next town over about 4 miles away.  But in the summer we sometimes used the rickety old washing machine and hung stuff outside.

(The house we lived in before the farmhouse had a washer/dryer)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/21 at 9:40 am

Yes...

My mother's dryer was very noisy, and used on rainy days.

Once when having guests, I can recall a rush to remove the clothes of the line, so that photos could be taken in the back garden.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/13/21 at 9:46 am

They didn't.

There are still plenty of clothes lines today.

True, but they are not NEARLY as prevalent as they were in years gone by.

How long did it take to dry completely?

If it was sunny out they dried VERY quickly.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/21 at 9:51 am

My mother's dryer was very noisy, and used on rainy days.

I have just thought, when I was young, we did not have a washing machine, so everything was done by hand at the sink.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/13/21 at 9:58 am

I have just thought, when I was young, we did not have a washing machine, so everything was done by hand at the sink.

I vaguely remember when I was VERY young my grandmother had one of those old fashioned washing machines with the hand cranked wringer thing on top. But it was soon replaced with a modern one.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/21 at 10:01 am

I vaguely remember when I was VERY young my grandmother had one of those old fashioned washing machines with the hand cranked wringer thing on top. But it was soon replaced with a modern one.
Hand cranked, every grandmother had one, I can speak for that.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/13/21 at 10:12 am

I remember as a little girl (early/mid 1960s), a washboard hanging out in the bathroom, and we also had one of those wood wringer things with a crank (my memories are more vague of the wringer but I recall using the washboard).

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/21 at 10:19 am

One of these?

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/7a/a6/5a/7aa65a27b72936d95271f8f685a0460f.jpg

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/13/21 at 10:22 am

One of these?

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/7a/a6/5a/7aa65a27b72936d95271f8f685a0460f.jpg

Something similar, perhaps.  I don't recall the "tub" part of the apparatus but believe there was something there.  The wood wringer part looks familiar.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/13/21 at 10:37 am

I remember as a little girl (early/mid 1960s), a washboard hanging out in the bathroom, and we also had one of those wood wringer things with a crank (my memories are more vague of the wringer but I recall using the washboard).

Throughout the years washboards have also been used as musical instruments in jug bands and the like.

http://i.pinimg.com/originals/a7/fa/d3/a7fad3da8cd4b5e321bebf8b8dd8c984.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/21 at 10:49 am

Throughout the years washboards have also been used as musical instruments in jug bands and the like.

http://i.pinimg.com/originals/a7/fa/d3/a7fad3da8cd4b5e321bebf8b8dd8c984.jpg

A washboard to hang the cigarette packet on?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/13/21 at 11:05 am

Indeed!  Used extensively in zydeco music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH2eRRh4Bls

(Of course we didn't often wash our clothes on washboards like the one being played here...)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/21 at 11:48 am

Indeed!  Used extensively in zydeco music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH2eRRh4Bl

(Of course we didn't often wash our clothes on washboards like the one being played here...)

There was washboards use for skiffle on this side of the pond.

_QoKkXDPGmw

Written By: karen on 05/13/21 at 12:48 pm

Something similar, perhaps.  I don't recall the "tub" part of the apparatus but believe there was something there.  The wood wringer part looks familiar.

I remember helping a friends mum put her sheets through the mangle before she pegged them out. This one was free standing and in the garden behind their house.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/21 at 12:49 pm

I remember helping a friends mum put her sheets through the mangle before she pegged them out. This one was free standing and in the garden behind their house.
Thank you, that was the word I have been trying to think of!

"mangle"

Written By: Howard on 05/13/21 at 1:55 pm

True, but they are not NEARLY as prevalent as they were in years gone by.

If it was sunny out they dried VERY quickly.

I think it's the people who live in those certain houses that have no dryers so they dry them on a clothesline.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/13/21 at 2:13 pm

I think it's the people who live in those certain houses that have no dryers so they dry them on a clothesline.

Not always.  Some people swear by the "clothesline fresh" freshness of clothes that dry on the line.  Especially good for sheets and dress shirts.  Thus even people having dryers might use a clothesline sometimes.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/21 at 4:43 pm

Not always.  Some people swear by the "clothesline fresh" freshness of clothes that dry on the line.  Especially good for sheets and dress shirts.  Thus even people having dryers might use a clothesline sometimes.

Best Tips On How To Line Dry Clothes Outside:

Put your clothespins on the shoulder seams of dress shirts to avoid creating wrinkles.
Hang t-shirts upside down to avoid a funny bump on the shoulder.
Always use clothespins to speed drying and avoid a fold down the middle of your clothes
The faster clothes dry, the stiffer they will be.  Try hanging items in the shade during a very hot day, or pin two items back to back to slow down the drying process
When you pull the clothes off the line, give them a good sharp snap to soften them and encourage and stray lady bugs to fly away
Fold your clothes as you pull them off the line and then set them into the basket already folded
Hang your clothesline over an aromatic herb garden to lightly scent your clothes
A gentle breeze will help your laundry dry quickly without stiffness
Hang dark clothes inside out to prevent fading
Hide a retractable clothesline or drying rack in a concealed corner for privacy
Hang your line high enough that your sheets and towels won’t drag, but still within easy reach
Leave a little space between items on the line to help them dry faster
Space out heavy items like towels to avoid making your line sag
Tighten your clothesline regularly to prevent sagging
Use an apron to keep your clothespins easily accessible
Bring your clothespins inside when not in use to help them last longer
Direct sunlight can act as a disinfectant
Match pant legs together at the inner seams and hang them by the hem
Hang your line high enough that your sheets and towels won’t drag, but still within easy reach
A damp hand or soft cloth will remove any lint or pet hair that doesn’t come off in the wash
Wear rubber dishwashing gloves to keep your hands warm on cooler spring or fall days
Check the weather report daily to avoid any surprise rain storms

Probably the last one is the most important tip.

Written By: Howard on 05/14/21 at 7:46 am

We have a clothesline down in our basement but it's rarely used for drying clothes.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/14/21 at 11:05 am

hdnMQmUXFX4

Written By: Howard on 05/14/21 at 1:53 pm

I remember My Mother telling me many years ago that My Great Grandfather Harry died in 1973 so I never got a chance to see him cause he passed away before I was born.

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/17/21 at 10:12 am

I remember My Mother telling me many years ago that My Great Grandfather Harry died in 1973 so I never got a chance to see him cause he passed away before I was born.

My grandpa died in 1975 at age 55, the one in the photos. If he lived to let's say when I was 5 only, he'd have died at 75. The fact that he died so young and I never got to meet him pisses me off because he could've easily lived to 70, 72...Those are still young ages to die at, even for the 1990s.

Written By: karen on 05/17/21 at 11:43 am

My grandpa died in 1975 at age 55, the one in the photos. If he lived to let's say when I was 5 only, he'd have died at 75. The fact that he died so young and I never got to meet him pisses me off because he could've easily lived to 70, 72...Those are still young ages to die at, even for the 1990s.

What a strange thing to get pissed off about.

My dad’s mum died when he was a teenager. I don’t even have a photo of her. But it happened, no point being angry about it.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/17/21 at 11:54 am

My dad’s mum died when he was a teenager. I don’t even have a photo of her. But it happened, no point being angry about it.

I think you've touched on something deeper there. Everybody throws around that "five stages of grief" bit first introduced by Elizabeth Kubler-Ross as if it's gospel: "denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance." I can only speak for myself, but I have unfortunately known a lot of people who have passed away, and never ONCE have I been "angry" at them for doing so. Everybody mourns their own way, I  guess.

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/17/21 at 12:32 pm

I'm just saying, I would've liked to have known the man. My mother idealized him my entire life, for one. Secondly, the man fought in WWII, worked in the 1964 World's Fair (massive cultural event), was stationed in the Presidio of San Francisco in 1942, worked as a Cabbie in NYC in the early 1950s, and met a lot of famous people throughout his lifetime. I'd liked to have spoken to him, beyond the family connection. Not only that but would've been a positive male role model. I'm pissed at 'fate' or whatever you'd want to call it for robbing me of the chance to meet someone I genuinely think was awesome.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/17/21 at 1:08 pm

I think you've touched on something deeper there. Everybody throws around that "five stages of grief" bit first introduced by Elizabeth Kubler-Ross as if it's gospel: "denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance." I can only speak for myself, but I have unfortunately known a lot of people who have passed away, and never ONCE have I been "angry" at them for doing so. Everybody mourns their own way, I  guess.

I must admit that I was a little angry at my dad when he passed away-not because he passed away but what he DIDN'T do BEFORE he passed away. And he was angry at his mother after she passed away for NOT doing the same thing that he didn't do. OY VEY!  ::)

Cat

Written By: Howard on 05/17/21 at 1:36 pm

My Grandfather died in 1989 at age 77 I believe and he used to be a smoker and My Grandmother died in 2017 at at the age of 100 and I think it just a couple of weeks before we all got to see her in the nursing home when it was her birthday, If my Great Grandfather had not died in 1973 most likely he would be in his 90's with a lot of health problems.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/18/21 at 12:47 pm

I must admit that I was a little angry at my dad when he passed away-not because he passed away but what he DIDN'T do BEFORE he passed away. And he was angry at his mother after she passed away for NOT doing the same thing that he didn't do. OY VEY!  ::)

Cat
In the same vein, I wished I asked my paternal grandfather more questions about his life and forefathers, but he sadly died when I was ten years old, and at that young age, asking questions of that kind are not in a child's mind.

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/18/21 at 7:05 pm

In the same vein, I wished I asked my paternal grandfather more questions about his life and forefathers, but he sadly died when I was ten years old, and at that young age, asking questions of that kind are not in a child's mind.

I have a surviving grandpa, age 92, all there mentally like he's as sharp mentally as say someone in their 50s or 60s would be, you know? But I don't know how to ask him about his life without coming off invasive or creepy :(

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/18/21 at 8:04 pm

I have a surviving grandpa, age 92, all there mentally like he's as sharp mentally as say someone in their 50s or 60s would be, you know? But I don't know how to ask him about his life without coming off invasive or creepy :(

I could be wrong, but I would think an older person like that would be happy to talk about their life and younger days.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/19/21 at 6:11 am

I could be wrong, but I would think an older person like that would be happy to talk about their life and younger days.
That is how I have found with my experience with other people, family or friends. I had one friend once asked me to do his family tree.

Written By: Howard on 05/19/21 at 7:36 am

Maybe you can talk to him privately?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/20/21 at 1:00 pm

"Grandpa? I would love to know more about your life. Would tell me about your childhood? Can you tell me what it was like during the Depression? Can you tell me about your parents?"

I don't think any of these questions would come of invasive or creepy. I think he would probably be honored that you were interested in him and his life. And if he doesn't want to talk about it, I'm sure he will tell you so.

And if you are daring, ask him if it would be ok to record his stories for future generations. I got a few recordings of my grandmother's stories (thanks to my sisters). They are treasures.

Cat

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/21/21 at 12:32 pm

"Grandpa? I would love to know more about your life. Would tell me about your childhood? Can you tell me what it was like during the Depression? Can you tell me about your parents?"

I don't think any of these questions would come of invasive or creepy. I think he would probably be honored that you were interested in him and his life. And if he doesn't want to talk about it, I'm sure he will tell you so.

And if you are daring, ask him if it would be ok to record his stories for future generations. I got a few recordings of my grandmother's stories (thanks to my sisters). They are treasures.

Cat

Hard to see him in the flesh as he lives over 200 miles away and I don't have a car. I do (without his knowledge) tape our phone calls. In my state it is legal to tape conversations, so as long as you yourself are one of the parties to the call. It at the very least will be able to give to future generations an idea of his level of intelligence, his mindset, and the way he spoke candidly. If I ask him about his life it'd probably be done in this candidly recorded fashion.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/21/21 at 12:37 pm

Hard to see him in the flesh as he lives over 200 miles away and I don't have a car. I do (without his knowledge) tape our phone calls. In my state it is legal to tape conversations, so as long as you yourself are one of the parties to the call. It at the very least will be able to give to future generations an idea of his level of intelligence, his mindset, and the way he spoke candidly. If I ask him about his life it'd probably be done in this candidly recorded fashion.
Ask him, or someone with him, to write his memories down.

Written By: Howard on 06/09/21 at 1:45 pm

From what My Mother told me, 2 months before, I was conceived in June.

Check for new replies or respond here...