inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What kind of shirt was this?

Written By: 90s Guy on 06/19/21 at 5:59 pm

Specifically, with the vents stitched in and the bars?
So I can try to find one similar or perhaps the same one on Ebay
https://i.ibb.co/nnvvrxr/75-dl-Copy.jpg

Subject: Re: What kind of shirt was this?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/19/21 at 6:36 pm

Have you tried the Soprano's clothing designer?  ;D

But seriously, I have seen these shirts a number of time in thrift shops. You may want to try there. If you want to search on Ebay, a helpful thing to do is to type in "men's camp shirt". This unusual sounding phrase brings up all kinds of men's casual, button-front shirts. I have found several shirts I wanted that way. Try variations like "men's camp shirt vertical pattern", etc. I'm not sure what those little vents or indentations are called, but they must have a name. Also try searching under "Cuban shirts" and "Cubavera shirts". I have seen some very similar to what you are looking for under those names. Also try "vintage Cuban shirts" and "vintage Cubavera shirts".

Written By: 90s Guy on 06/20/21 at 9:38 am

Have you tried the Soprano's clothing designer?  ;D

But seriously, I have seen these shirts a number of time in thrift shops. You may want to try there. If you want to search on Ebay, a helpful thing to do is to type in "men's camp shirt". This unusual sounding phrase brings up all kinds of men's casual, button-front shirts. I have found several shirts I wanted that way. Try variations like "men's camp shirt vertical pattern", etc. I'm not sure what those little vents or indentations are called, but they must have a name. Also try searching under "Cuban shirts" and "Cubavera shirts". I have seen some very similar to what you are looking for under those names. Also try "vintage Cuban shirts" and "vintage Cubavera shirts".

Cuban weddding shirts and Cubavera's tend to have four pockets or two breast pockets. It's a very wide collared shirt with designs and patterns

Written By: karen on 06/20/21 at 1:41 pm

Do you mean the little vertical marks in the fabric? I can’t tell if they are woven slits or tiny stitches in a contrasting thread

Written By: 90s Guy on 06/20/21 at 3:44 pm

Do you mean the little vertical marks in the fabric? I can’t tell if they are woven slits or tiny stitches in a contrasting thread

Yes

Written By: karen on 06/20/21 at 4:20 pm

Cuban weddding shirts and Cubavera's tend to have four pockets or two breast pockets. It's a very wide collared shirt with designs and patterns

The wide collar was just a fashion at the time. All shirts had these large collars on them in the seventies. That’s why looking in thrift shops or vintage stores will be where you will find them now.

The fabric might be a kind of jacquard pattern. Searching for this finds material that looks similar in design.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/03/21 at 8:27 am

So I can try to find one similar or perhaps the same one on Ebay
https://i.ibb.co/nnvvrxr/75-dl-Copy.jpg
The more I look at this image, I think it is the English cricketer, so I think it is a casual shirt favoured by sportsmen.

Check for new replies or respond here...