inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What Made the '70s Different (or Superior, if you Will) From the '80s?

Written By: Slim95 on 10/05/21 at 10:51 pm

Please explain this to me.  ???

Subject: Re: What Made the '70s Different (or Superior, if you Will) From the '80s?

Written By: BotleyCrew on 10/06/21 at 1:21 pm

There was a pretty big backlash towards feminism in the 80s, though both decades were very sexist compared to now.

No AIDS

Subject: Re: What Made the '70s Different (or Superior, if you Will) From the '80s?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/11/21 at 2:16 pm

There was a pretty big backlash towards feminism in the 80s, though both decades were very sexist compared to now.

No AIDS

For what I bolded, I disagree, being a woman who went through both decades old enough to understand (age 20 in 1980).  The backlash may have been towards aggressive feminist activism of the kind seen in the early-mid 70s.  However, women made significant gains towards equality in both decades.  In other words, things were better for "non traditional" women in 1980 than in 1970, likewise better in 1990 than in 1980.

In the 1970's, gains included those of a legislative or regulatory nature.  During the 1980's, not only did the country have more time to "digest" the ideas put forth in the 70's, there were additional ideas put forth then to further promote equality.  Plus with Affirmative Action initiatives (a mixed bag overall to me), adding opportunities for women was one stated goal, and it played out to improve women's opportunities quite a bit.  So, I saw no significant backlash toward women's quest for equality in the 80's.

Written By: violet_shy on 10/11/21 at 2:50 pm

I don't think the 70s were superior to the 80s, it was just a completely different decade from the 1980s.

Check for new replies or respond here...