inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best solo songs by singers who were in 70s bands

Written By: whistledog on 04/06/22 at 2:45 am

In 1972, Bob McBride, the then lead singer of the band Lighthouse released a solo single titled Pretty City Lady under the name McBride and it became a Top 20 hit in Canada.  This is a great song!

NVLKnRt5fLA

Subject: Re: Best solo songs by singers who were in 70s bands

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/06/22 at 12:04 pm

In 1972, Bob McBride, the then lead singer of the band Lighthouse released a solo single titled Pretty City Lady under the name McBride and it became a Top 20 hit in Canada.  This is a great song!

O0 I like it!  New to me.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/06/22 at 12:22 pm

Do they have to have the solo hit at the same time they were in the band, or could they have left? For example, Bob Welch had a big hit with "Ebony Eyes" in 1978, but it was after he left Fleetwood Mac. On the other hand, Stevie Nicks had a big hit with "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" (and several others) while she was still in Fleetwood Mac. (I know the latter is from the 80s, but it's still a good example of what I'm talking about).

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/06/22 at 12:33 pm

Rod Stewart racked up quite a number of solo hits in the 70s at the same he was in the Faces.

Believe it or not, this one was originally the A side of "Maggie May". DJs started flipping over the record (they absolutely had the power to do that in those days) and it became a double sided hit, which were somewhat common among bigger acts back then.

Rod Stewart
"Reason to Believe"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJylcQ7CGfI

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/06/22 at 12:35 pm

Do they have to have the solo hit at the same time they were in the band, or could they have left? For example, Bob Welch had a big hit with "Ebony Eyes" in 1978, but it was after he left Fleetwood Mac. On the other hand, Stevie Nicks had a big hit with "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" (and several others) while she was still in Fleetwood Mac. (I know the latter is from the 80s, but it's still a good example of what I'm talking about).

Good question - I'll presume for the sake of the thread the answer to be either (Whistledog, correct me if that's not your intention).

Here's one I thought of -

Jay Ferguson was in the 60's band Spirit and 70's band Jo Jo Gunne.  Here's his 1978 solo hit:

Jay Ferguson - Thunder Island (1978)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJMh0GJ6GWc

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/06/22 at 12:37 pm

Rod Stewart racked up quite a number of solo hits in the 70s at the same he was in the Faces.

Believe it or not, this one was originally the A side of "Maggie May". DJs started flipping over the record (they absolutely had the power to do that in those days) and it became a double sided hit, which were somewhat common among bigger acts back then.

Rod Stewart
"Reason to Believe"

O0 Good one!  I didn't realize it was the original "A" side with "Maggie May"...

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/06/22 at 1:02 pm

Okay okay - I'll own that this slow cut leans toward the "syrupy".  But it's beautiful too and shows off that extraordinary vocal talent.

Michael Jackson was still very much a member of the Jackson 5 group when he released his first solo album, Got To Be There, in early 1972.  This is among my favorite cuts from that album -

Michael Jackson - Wings Of My Love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qJGNhxnBXA

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/06/22 at 3:35 pm

"Memo From Turner"
Mick Jagger

For years this terrific song was only available on the soundtrack album to the movie "Performance". It was considered a rarity, and it got lots of airplay on FM and underground hippie radio stations. The fantastic slide guitar is by Ry Cooder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP0zsWupANs

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/06/22 at 4:10 pm

"Memo From Turner"
Mick Jagger

For years this terrific song was only available on the soundtrack album to the movie "Performance". It was considered a rarity, and it got lots of airplay on FM and underground hippie radio stations. The fantastic slide guitar is by Ry Cooder.

O0 Cool song!  This explains a lot - I have this on an imported Stones' "hits compilation" album, but was having a hard finding out information about it as a "Rolling Stones" tune.  I guess I wasn't aware it was a Mick Jagger solo release.

Written By: nally on 04/09/22 at 12:29 am

Glenn Frey and Don Henley - who were members of the Eagles, a rock band popular during the 1970s - had several great solo hits… starting in the 1980s. I could name some of them, but I dunno where to start.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/09/22 at 10:40 am

Glenn Frey and Don Henley - who were members of the Eagles, a rock band popular during the 1970s - had several great solo hits… starting in the 1980s. I could name some of them, but I dunno where to start.

So, nally, I'm trying to stay in the same decade with the band (at least in part), the solo work, and which thread to post the song.  It might be just me, though...  ???

If no one else agrees, ignore this comment.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/09/22 at 11:00 am

Forgive me for dipping into the same well twice...

Jermaine Jackson was very much a member of the Jackson 5 group when he released his first solo single (it didn't quite pierce the Top 40 but came close)

Jermaine Jackson - That's How Love Goes (Fall 1972)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zDQFc5MdK4

Written By: nally on 04/09/22 at 11:10 am

So, nally, I'm trying to stay in the same decade with the band (at least in part), the solo work, and which thread to post the song.  It might be just me, though...  ???

If no one else agrees, ignore this comment.

This could be up for debate.. but I have no further comment right now. :-X

Jeffrey

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/09/22 at 11:26 am

This could be up for debate.. but I have no further comment right now. :-X

Jeffrey

Sorry - don't mean to make a federal case out of it  :-\\

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/09/22 at 7:42 pm

When Stephen Stills was on a break from CSNY he came up with this smash hit in 1970.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH3ruuml-R4

Written By: whistledog on 04/10/22 at 7:27 pm

When I made this thread, I was thinking of singers who were in 70s bands that had solo hits in the 70s.  In Glenn and Don's case, they could fall into the 80s as the 1979 Eagles album The Long Run spanned hits into 1980

Here is Walter Zwolinski.  He was the lead singer of a Canadian band called Brutus and in the late 70s, he went solo under the name Zwol and scored a few minor hits, this one titled Call Out My Name which peaked at #75 in the US and #90 in Canada in 1979.  Despite it's low chart placing, and the fact that I was a toddler at the time (lol), I still remember this one well!

Zwol - Call Out My Name (1979)
lbHJBObRA3Y

However, when it comes to Zwol, for me, it's all about his 1979 hit Shaka Shaka that peaked at #96 in Canada.  For anyone who likes Disco with a Rock vibe needs this one in their collection.  I put this one among my Top 10 favourites of the 70s!

Zwol - Shaka Shaka (1979)
CIHbi9Lzhg4

Written By: whistledog on 04/10/22 at 7:47 pm

In 1975, The Guess Who broke up and lead singer Burton Cummings went solo scoring a string of hits in his native Canada.  One such single titled I Will Play A Rhapsody peaked at #20 in Canada during 1979 and is such a fantastic song!  Play this one alot; It's such fun to sing along with!

lEwajEzl_eo

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/10/22 at 9:47 pm

In 1975, The Guess Who broke up and lead singer Burton Cummings went solo scoring a string of hits in his native Canada.  One such single titled I Will Play A Rhapsody peaked at #20 in Canada during 1979 and is such a fantastic song!  Play this one alot; It's such fun to sing along with!

O0 Nice song; new to me.  The one I know best of his is Stand Tall from late '76.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/10/22 at 9:51 pm

Ian Matthews had been in several groups most notably Matthews Southern Comfort, which featured him.  Here is a solo work of his:

Ian Matthews - Shake It (1978)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZgFUkyGkcQ

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/10/22 at 9:54 pm

Ian Matthews had been in several groups most notably Matthews Southern Comfort, which featured him.  Here is a solo work of his:

Ian Matthews - Shake It (1978)

He was also in the original Fairport Convention with Richard Thompson.

Written By: whistledog on 04/11/22 at 12:26 am

O0 Nice song; new to me.  The one I know best of his is Stand Tall from late '76.

Stand Tall and another single from 1981 called You Saved My Soul were the only Top 40 hits he saw in the US.  I don't know what America didn't like as so many of his singles went unnoticed outside of Canada

Written By: whistledog on 04/11/22 at 12:35 am

In 1971, The Stampeders had a massive hit in the US and Canada with Sweet City Woman.  The next year, lead singer Rich Dodson released a solo single titled Julia Get Up which peaked at #11 in Canada.  Another fun one to sing along with! :)

Rich Dodson - Julia Get Up (1972)
7n_LTQUJTHQ

Written By: whistledog on 04/11/22 at 12:42 am

In 1971, Five Man Electrical Band had a Top 5 hit in both the US and Canada with the legendary Signs.  The next year, lead singer Les Emmerson released a solo single titled Control Of Me which peaked at #5 in Canada and #51 in the US.  Sadly, Emmerson died of COVID in December of 2021

Les Emmerson - Control Of Me (1972)
GZvy_xS1HVQ

Written By: whistledog on 04/11/22 at 12:50 am

One more from the shores of Canada ...

Edward Bear was a rock group from Toronto best known for their massive 1972 hit Last Song which peaked at #3 in the US and #1 in Canada.  After they disbanded in 1974, lead singer Larry Evoy went solo and in 1977 had a modest hit in Canada with a cover of the song Here I Go Again, originally recorded by British group Guys 'N' Dolls in 1975.

Larry Evoy - Here I Go Again (1977)
3lbJsocOY08

Written By: whistledog on 04/11/22 at 1:00 am

Here is one more (for now) lol

Terry Jacks is best known for 2 things, technically 3:  Co-Lead singer of the group The Poppy Family, for his 1974 solo hit Seasons in the Sun and being a one hit wonder for said song, but what you may not know is that in Canada, he had 11 hits as a solo artist.  The stand out for me was called Hey Country Girl which peaked at #73 in Canada during 1977.  There are no words to describe just how much I love this one, and I wish it had of been a bigger hit.  I still sometimes hear it on the radio

Terry Jacks - Hey Country Girl (1977)
qduSp7xde0M

Written By: whistledog on 05/03/22 at 10:40 pm

There was a band from Toronto called Chester and in 1973 had a Canadian Top 10 hit called Make My Life A Little Bit Brighter.  The next year, lead singer Michael Argue went solo and scored a radio favourite in 1975 called Dancing With Your Lady.  Love both these songs!

Michael Argue - Dancing With Your Lady (1975)
UcccRYBOTHo

Chester - Make My Life A Little Bit Brighter (1973)
dDLbNVuz94g

Check for new replies or respond here...