inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Divas

Written By: rubixgirl on 04/21/04 at 2:06 pm

Did anyone see the Diva's with "the Ultimate 80's tribute" had Blondie and Cindy Lauper. I thought Cindy had incredible energy. Its great to the great ones perform. However, Blondie seemed not as confident when the younger Divas got on stage.

Subject: Re: Divas

Written By: SmithsGirl on 04/21/04 at 4:34 pm

Hey Rubixgirl

I did watch it. An I taped it too. It was really fun. I also thought Cyndi had great energy. And when she did her old dance moves it was awesome! I thought Debbie Harry looked good and I loved her green striped dress. I thought Eve ruined the rendition of Rapture though. Jessica Simpson was amazing too! Her dresses were beautiful. I have to say I wasnt too fond of Joss Stone. The whole barefeet Janice Joplin wannabe act was just plain silly.

SmithsGirl

Written By: rubixgirl on 04/21/04 at 4:50 pm

Yeah, I really wasn't feeling the Joss Stone vibe. She also seemed to want to out play the retro-divas (i.e. Cindy and Blondie)
I was never a fan of Eve in the first place, but I definitely did not like her performance.

Written By: woops on 04/21/04 at 4:51 pm

I thought Deborah Harry looked great and enjoyed Cyndi Lauper, Joss Stone, Sheila E, and Carmen Electra's cover of "Tainted Love". (Yes, the actress Carmen Electra)  :D

Written By: rubixgirl on 04/21/04 at 4:52 pm

I forgot about Sheila E., she still has it. And she looks great too.

Written By: Fallen Angel on 04/21/04 at 7:18 pm

Sounds like it was awesome! Unfortunately,VH-1 turns into Comedy Central(where I live) at 4 so I missed it.

Written By: JennParkandKyan on 04/21/04 at 8:19 pm

I watched it!  I loved Cyndi and Jessica Simpson too.  Blondie was looking a little rough, my husband was laughing because she was wearing such a tight dress with a gut.

Patti Labelle was awesome too! 8)

Written By: Howard on 04/21/04 at 8:33 pm

I thought the show was pretty good. Patti Labelle was excellent and so was Gladys Knight. ;D

Howard

Written By: SmithsGirl on 04/22/04 at 10:53 am

Yeah, I really wasn't feeling the Joss Stone vibe. She also seemed to want to out play the retro-divas (i.e. Cindy and Blondie)

I totally agree  ::)

SmithsGirl

Written By: Layce on 04/22/04 at 10:55 am

I didn't think there were that many divas! 

Written By: rubixgirl on 04/22/04 at 11:36 am

Sounds like it was awesome! Unfortunately,VH-1 turns into Comedy Central(where I live) at 4 so I missed it.

I'm sure they will re-air it a hundred-million times. So it might play before 4.

Written By: Fallen Angel on 04/22/04 at 8:19 pm

Thanks! It came on today but I missed most of since I had to head out. I loved what parts I did see! ;D

Written By: pennsygirl on 04/23/04 at 11:07 am

Did anyone see the Diva's with "the Ultimate 80's tribute" had Blondie and Cindy Lauper. I thought Cindy had incredible energy. Its great to the great ones perform. However, Blondie seemed not as confident when the younger Divas got on stage.

Blondie has got nothing to fear from the young divas.  She totally rocks!  All of those '80's divas paved the way for the younger ones performing with them.

Written By: rubixgirl on 04/23/04 at 11:37 am

I totally agree they should appreciate the ones that broke the mold (also included are Pat Benetar, Joan Jett, Gloria Estefan, etc.) At least like Britney Spears gives props(and a little tongue  ;) ) to Madonna for being her role model.

Blondie has got nothing to fear from the young divas.  She totally rocks!  All of those '80's divas paved the way for the younger ones performing with them.

Written By: pcxo on 04/23/04 at 1:50 pm

I thought Cindy was great!!!!!  Did you guys have a listen to her recent album????  I wasn't too sure at first what to expect, but Cindy really did a good job. 

Written By: SmithsGirl on 04/23/04 at 3:19 pm

I have not heard it yet. I plan on it though, very soon. I hope it's great. I love Cyndi anyways so even if it's not my taste I will have an open mind. She has a beautiful voice and personality to match.

SmithsGirl

Written By: Heather on 04/27/04 at 2:18 pm

Personally, I think Cyndi Lauper, Debbie Harry, Patti LaBell and Madonna (thought she wasn't there) can all kick the crap outta' Britney Spears!!!  Britney is so totally manufactured, and I see she's a young girl and all, and nothing against her personally, because I'm sure she's really nice, but...I find it highly offensive that, since she came out, she's considered the number one image that springs to ind whenever somebody thinks of a "Rocker Chick".  I mean, she doesn't even write her own songs or play an instrment, and her "crappy" music isn't even rock.  Janis Joplin, Pat Benatar, Lita Ford, Cyndi Lauper, Avril LaVigne, Michelle Branch, Debbie Harry, Patty Smith, Chrissie Hynde.....THESE are real rocker chicks!!!!  In all fairness, I think that Britney's fifteen minutes of fame should have expired years ago, and she should really d stick to doing what she does best, which is pose for "Playboy"!  Again, nothing against her personally, but as a feminist, I find her image to be highly insulting to all womankind.

Written By: SmithsGirl on 04/27/04 at 2:27 pm

Janis Joplin, Pat Benatar, Lita Ford, Cyndi Lauper, Avril LaVigne, Michelle Branch, Debbie Harry, Patty Smith, Chrissie Hynde.....THESE are real rocker chicks!!!! 

IMO...
I would find it hard to include Avril lavigne in the same sentence as  "Janis Joplin, Pat Benatar, Lita Ford, Cyndi Lauper,Debbie Harry, Patty Smith and Chrissie Hynde"  :P 

SmithsGirl

Written By: rubixgirl on 04/27/04 at 2:32 pm

I think Britney Spears (even though I don't really care for her) pushes envelopes like Madonna. She's learned that you make yourself famous and controversy keeps you there.

Btw, Heather welcome. You should register and become a full fledged member.  :)

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/10/04 at 11:46 am

LOVED the Cyndi Lauper/Patti LaBelle "True Colours" duet!

Check for new replies or respond here...