inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Debbie Harry

Written By: pennsygirl on 04/23/04 at 2:06 pm

I could swear I read many years back that Debbie Harry had quit the music business because she was involved with a guy who had a terminal or serious illness (I don't remember which) and wanted to be able to care for him herself full time.  That's why she dropped out of sight so suddenly and didn't record for so long.  When she started to appear again a few years ago, I didn't hear anything about where she had been or what she had been doing all those years, so I wondered if what I read was true.

Also a friend of mine swears she saw Debbie in a commercial about 6 or 7 years ago for some kind of bread that you make at home yourself, that pop it in the oven stuff, like Pillsbury makes.  I never saw it.

Does anyone know if any of this is true?

Subject: Re: Debbie Harry

Written By: rubixgirl on 04/23/04 at 2:15 pm

I thought she was married to one of the guys from her band.

I don't know about the commercial, but I know she did the song Maria for the soundtrack of 200 Cigarettes.

Written By: SmithsGirl on 04/23/04 at 3:13 pm

Hey pennysgirl

Well you were on the right track about the illness. Here is some info I found on where and what she's been up too.

http://www.allmusic.com
Type in 'Debbie Harry'

SmithsGirl

Written By: rubixgirl on 04/23/04 at 3:40 pm

Thanks for the link. But how do you find her info?

Written By: SmithsGirl on 04/23/04 at 4:09 pm

When you click on the link, at the top type in Debbie Harry in the search bar. It should take you to her page. Then there is tons of info there. You can search any artist! I tried to paste a direct link to Debbie but it wouldnt work.

SmithsGirl

Written By: rubixgirl on 04/23/04 at 4:15 pm

Cool Thanks  8)

Written By: SmithsGirl on 04/23/04 at 4:29 pm

Your welcome. Did it work for ya?

SmithGirl

Written By: Bobby on 04/23/04 at 4:33 pm

Debbie Harry had a hit and miss British solo career between 1986 and 1993. 'French kissing in the USA' hit no 8 in Nov 1986 and 'I want that man' hit no 13 in 1989. She had eight top 100 'hits' so she didn't drop off the face of the musical world so-to-speak.

Written By: Howard on 04/23/04 at 5:04 pm

She still looks at 57 years old. :o

Howard

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/24/04 at 6:19 am

Debbie was quoted in Rolling Stone dissing Christina Aguilera for the way she dresses.  >:(

But back in the 70's, Debbie would go on stage wearing a black plastic trash bag  :-\

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 04/24/04 at 8:36 am

Debbie was quoted in Rolling Stone dissing Christina Aguilera for the way she dresses.  >:(

But back in the 70's, Debbie would go on stage wearing a black plastic trash bag  :-\

Lucky trash bag  :P :P :P :P ;D :o :P :P

"In The Flash" still has an effect on me  :P :)

Written By: Howard on 04/24/04 at 11:20 am

Why would she wear a trash bag? ???

And I think My favorite still is Rapture

Howard

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/25/04 at 2:34 pm

Howard

Since she was part of a "punk band" back then, I think the trash bag was to put out the "image" that she was easy, or just trash.

I liked ths song "Rupture" too.  I remember when it came out it sounded odd because nobody was doing rap.  In fact, it was not called a "rap tune" until rap came about.

LB

Written By: Howard on 04/25/04 at 2:37 pm

Howard

Since she was part of a "punk band" back then, I think the trash bag was to put out the "image" that she was easy, or just trash.

I liked ths song "Rupture" too.  I remember when it came out it sounded odd because nobody was doing rap.  In fact, it was not called a "rap tune" until rap came about.

LB

When did that song Rupture come out?

Howard

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/25/04 at 2:39 pm

I like 11:59 which was the B-side to Heart of Glass (I believe). Not too many people know that song.  I also like Rapture, One Way or Another and Call Me.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/25/04 at 3:31 pm

Howard

LB

When did that song Rupture come out?

Howard

I think Rupture was recorded in 1980.  It started airplay either in late 1980 or early 1981.

LB

Written By: zcrito on 04/25/04 at 11:38 pm

It was 25 years ago this month (Apr.,1979) that Blondie's "Heart Of Glass" was starting to be noticed on the radio. I still remember where I was when I first heard it. Very different sound.

:D

I also remember hearing their new song "Rapture" right before the news that the American Embassy hostages in Iran had been released (Jan.,1981).

:D

Written By: pennsygirl on 04/26/04 at 6:53 am

Hey pennysgirl

Well you were on the right track about the illness. Here is some info I found on where and what she's been up too.

http://www.allmusic.com
Type in 'Debbie Harry'

SmithsGirl

Thanks SmithsGirl!  I knew I remembered something about her taking time off to care for someone she was involved with, but I couldn't remember the whole story, it was so long ago that I read the article.  I don't know what's up with the bread commercial, I think m friend must have been hallucinating!

Written By: Howard on 04/26/04 at 9:13 pm

Was Rapture really RAP or DISCO?

Howard

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/27/04 at 7:11 am

It was both.

Mainly it was a disco tune, with that cool rap added towards the end. 

Written By: jigmeister on 04/27/04 at 10:40 am

Lucky trash bag  :P :P :P :P ;D :o :P :P

"In The Flash" still has an effect on me  :P :)

She still looks hot now - older and sweeter like fine fine brother!

Written By: Howard on 04/27/04 at 7:54 pm

It was both.

Mainly it was a disco tune, with that cool rap added towards the end. 

It would be funny today to hear a hardcore rap artist poke fun at Rapture. ;D

Howard

Written By: whistledog on 05/30/06 at 9:00 pm

One of Debbie's best songs was a track called "Rush Rush" which appears on the movie "Scarface".  It was a near Top 40 hit here in Canada back in early 1984, but according to the charts, it was not a success at all in either the US or the UK  :-\\

Can anyone maybe confirm this?

Check for new replies or respond here...