inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I need help to win an 80's bet

Written By: Trip Ross on 04/26/04 at 12:47 pm

A friend and I have a bet going about whether or not it was cool in the 80's to be dirty and weathered looking.  I remember movies like "My Science Project", "The Wraith" and "Thrashin" where it was totally cool to be dirty and sooty.  Not that everyone walked around covered in soot, but when you were, man were you cool.  I'm looking for any kind of proof like pictures or just good examples. 

Subject: Re: I need help to win an 80's bet

Written By: rubixgirl on 04/26/04 at 1:55 pm

A friend and I have a bet going about whether or not it was cool in the 80's to be dirty and weathered looking.  I remember movies like "My Science Project", "The Wraith" and "Thrashin" where it was totally cool to be dirty and sooty.  Not that everyone walked around covered in soot, but when you were, man were you cool.  I'm looking for any kind of proof like pictures or just good examples. 

Think Rambo, Mad Max, JD from Heathers, Ren from Footloose, just to name a few.

Written By: SmithsGirl on 04/26/04 at 2:41 pm

Ya, I think that would be right. I mean in regards to lookin' weathered or desheveled there was a period where ripped jeans, t-shirts, messy hair was 'in'. Ie: Corey Haim, Bruce Springsteen, Christian Slater.

It's possible

SmithsGirl

Written By: sputnikcorp on 04/26/04 at 9:01 pm

your telling me, my lack of style in high school meant i was cool... :o

i invented disheveled. torn acid wash denim jackets, bedhead, unlaced high tops..i was cool and didn't know it.

Written By: Huw on 04/27/04 at 8:03 am

Dexy's Midnight Runners.

Huw

Written By: NostalgicOne on 01/28/05 at 2:48 pm

I can't think of a time during or after highschool when it was cool to look like you hadn't showered.  I think it was only cool on TV.  LOL

Written By: Class of 84 on 01/28/05 at 9:16 pm

I remember the "5 o'clock shadow" being "in", but the "just got out of bed" look I don't remember as being cool. IF you looked like that, people would ask "Hey, did you just get out of bed?"

Written By: RojoP on 01/28/05 at 10:00 pm

Oh the memories...

white tank tops
torn denim blue jeans
and Nike hightops with the laces not tied.

Sooooo Cooolllll!!
Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Written By: smashlee_skye on 01/29/05 at 8:52 pm

Dexy's Midnight Runners.

Huw

Huw - did you used to go out with a girl called Emma Westaway??? I think i know you, well, i think i know OF you.

Check for new replies or respond here...