inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Fixx" favorite....

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/27/04 at 12:44 pm

"Stand Or Fall" gets my vote...so does the viseo with the beautiful white horse.

Subject: Re: "Fixx" favorite....

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 04/27/04 at 12:57 pm

I say all of the above, except for "One Thing Leads To Another." Too commercial, and I've grown tired of it. Other favourites of mine to mention would be "Less Cities, More Moving People" and "Secret Separation," the latter being one of The Fixx' most beautiful songs. :)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 04/27/04 at 1:07 pm

Other:

"Secret Separation"  :)

Written By: pennsygirl on 04/27/04 at 2:27 pm

Saved by Zero

Written By: Fallen Angel on 04/27/04 at 2:30 pm

Saved By Zero

Written By: SmithsGirl on 04/27/04 at 2:33 pm

I chose "one things leads to another". When I was eleven I found this tape in a box in the garage. It was the first song I heard on the tape. Ever since then I was hooked  :D

SmithsGirl

Written By: dtradio on 04/27/04 at 2:40 pm

"Secret Separation" was a favorite for a while.  My current Fixx favorite is its b-side called "Sense The Adventure."
Anybody like anything from Calm Animals? 

Written By: kimmers on 04/27/04 at 3:08 pm

Stand or Fall gets my vote. 

I saw The Fixx at the Universal Amphitheatre in LA in 1984.  I was totally blown away at their music.  I've been a fan ever since.

Written By: Rio_Rhodes on 04/27/04 at 4:09 pm

I chose "One thing leads to another", because thats just how I feel about it today. I'm feeling a bit moody toady I've noticed!

Rio

Written By: woops on 04/27/04 at 5:43 pm

"Saved by Zero"

"One Thing Or Another" & "Red Skies" are second & third.

Written By: Vapor Trails on 04/27/04 at 6:18 pm

Stand or Fall - such a classic!
Red Skies at Night is my second
with Are We Ourselves? close behind

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/28/04 at 4:56 pm

"Shuttered Room" is a better album than "Reach the Beach," but Saved by Zero is still my favorite Fixx hit.

Written By: resinchaser on 04/28/04 at 5:11 pm

Saved By Zero

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/25/04 at 3:50 pm

"Shuttered Room" is a better album than "Reach the Beach," but Saved by Zero is still my favorite Fixx hit.
I agree with you on the LP opinion, MaxwellSmart :)

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 05/25/04 at 4:04 pm

One thing leads to another

Written By: SuperFreak on 05/25/04 at 4:06 pm

Deeper And Deeper ;)

Written By: mr.smith s on 05/25/04 at 4:10 pm

One thing Leads to Another

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/25/04 at 6:26 pm

I say all of the above, except for "One Thing Leads To Another." Too commercial, and I've grown tired of it. Other favourites of mine to mention would be "Less Cities, More Moving People" and "Secret Separation," the latter being one of The Fixx' most beautiful songs. :)

Absolutely Vile

I agree, but I still enjoy "One Thing Leads To Another."  "Less Cities..." is a great track, though PHANTOMS was generally a weaker album than the previous two.
"Saved By Zero" is still a favorite, but best for me is good ole
RED SKIES

Who was this "Zero," anyway?  Zero Mostel?
"If I were a rich man,
Ya ha deedle deedle, bubba bubba deedle deedle dum.
All day long I'd biddy biddy bum.
If I were a wealthy man."

Written By: Lanie on 05/25/04 at 10:02 pm

"Saved By Zero"

Written By: redhead007 on 05/26/04 at 6:16 am

"Secret Separation" was a favorite for a while.  My current Fixx favorite is its b-side called "Sense The Adventure."
Anybody like anything from Calm Animals? 

I actually really enjoy their Calm Animals album, even though it pretty much bombed commericially. Every song on there is great, IMO. I put Other for the opening song on that album, I'm Life. It's just a great song overall that should've gotten more attention.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/26/04 at 7:24 am

Stand Or Fall

Written By: mandamoo on 05/26/04 at 7:29 am

One Thing Leads To Another

Written By: Bury_Manilow on 05/29/04 at 1:12 am

Deeper And Deeper ;)

I agree with "Deeper And Deeper" from the movie Streets Of Fire.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/29/04 at 2:53 am

I actually really enjoy their Calm Animals album, even though it pretty much bombed commericially. Every song on there is great, IMO. I put Other for the opening song on that album, I'm Life. It's just a great song overall that should've gotten more attention.

I loved Driven Out, from that album.

Written By: Zed Omega on 06/01/04 at 9:50 am

"Outside" from Reach the Beach. Nice slow tempo and great atmosphere. I only wish it were twice as long!

Written By: ladybug316 on 06/01/04 at 10:18 am

I love all of the songs mentioned including "The Sign of Fire" (when I was young I thought they were saying "always the satisfier".  Sounded good to me!)

Written By: KROQ_80s_Fan on 06/06/04 at 6:16 pm

Secret Separation.

I just saw The Fixx perform in San Pedro, CA last month.  Played very few songs from the hits compilations, mostly focusing on the newer stuff.  Very disappointing.

And another of those touring 80's groups where only the lead singer remains.

Written By: ladybug316 on 06/07/04 at 7:37 am

Secret Separation.

I just saw The Fixx perform in San Pedro, CA last month.  Played very few songs from the hits compilations, mostly focusing on the newer stuff.  Very disappointing.

That bites!!  Why would he call it "The Fixx" then?

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 06/07/04 at 7:41 am

Other.  "The Sign of Fire"

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 06/07/04 at 7:58 am

That bites!!  Why would he call it "The Fixx" then?

Because he probably owns the rights to the name. Also, I don't think he'd get very far touring under his own name, Cy Curnin.

Absolutely Vile

Written By: ladybug316 on 06/07/04 at 8:17 am

Because he probably owns the rights to the name. Also, I don't think he'd get very far touring under his own name, Cy Curnin.

Absolutely Vile
Oh, I understand why, it was a hypothetical question.  It still bites, though!  Why can't he say "formerly of the Fixx" or something? 

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 06/07/04 at 8:41 am

Oh, I understand why, it was a hypothetical question.  It still bites, though!  Why can't he say "formerly of the Fixx" or something? 

I don't know. I don't see why they couldn't have done that! Even for David Gahan's solo tour, the posters I'd seen said "Dave Gahan: The voice of Depeche Mode," not that any real DM fan doesn't already know that. :) I don't know what was done for the shows Martin Gore did. I know he didn't do that many.

Absolutely Vile

Written By: ladybug316 on 06/07/04 at 9:01 am

I don't know. I don't see why they couldn't have done that! Even for David Gahan's solo tour, the posters I'd seen said "Dave Gahan: The voice of Depeche Mode," not that any real DM fan doesn't already know that. :) I don't know what was done for the shows Martin Gore did. I know he didn't do that many.

Absolutely Vile

Or Colin Hay of "Men At Work".  Real fans know who he is.  The M.A.W. stuff is his material  so you might expect to hear it.  He does a great acoustic version of "Overkill".  I don't know if David Gahan did any DP material but you'd have a certain expectation of him doing DM tunes if he toured w/ a new band under the DM name.  (Even though Gore wrote their tunes.)

Written By: Kryllith on 06/07/04 at 9:08 am

Hard to choose actually, but I've always been a fan of 'How Much is Enough?" so... that works.

Kryllith

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 06/07/04 at 9:25 am

I don't know if David Gahan did any DP material but you'd have a certain expectation of him doing DM tunes if he toured w/ a new band under the DM name.  (Even though Gore wrote their tunes.)

David Gahan did indeed perform Depeche Mode songs on his tour...and murdered them from what I've heard! He did songs that had more guitar in them and made them sound more rocky. Anyway, I don't think Dave, or Martin for that matter, could get away with going on a solo tour and not doing DM songs. Unfortunately, the "fans" knew more DM songs than solo ones! Sad... Oh, and Dave toured under his own name. I think if he toured solo with another band and called it Depeche Mode, Martin would be extremely pissed off. Besides, DM are still together. (Well, three of them...) :)

I think you have to expect this of any former band member who goes solo (especially a singer). They must do songs from their former band otherwise the fans won't be happy! So, Dave and Martin would have to do DM tunes, Cy Curnin would have to do Fixx tunes, Midge Ure would have to do Ultravox tunes...and so on...

Anyway...we were supposed to be talking about The Fixx. Sorry to go astray! ;D

Absolutely Vile

Written By: gumbypiz on 06/07/04 at 9:28 am

Other: Camphor from the "Walkabout" album makes my blood tingle.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/07/04 at 9:45 am

Secret Separation.

Cy Curnin is EXTREMELY arrogant and self-aggrandizing.  I imagine he thinks the world of his "Fixxtures" and would scorn you for wanting to hear the "hits."  If you don't like his contemporary stuff, then it's pearls before swine, he'd say!

Written By: Bash on 10/03/04 at 11:00 pm

Cy the only original member of the Fixx left?  NOT! Only the bass player is different - the others are all there: Rupert Greenall on keys, Adam Woods on drums, and the amazing Jamie West-Oram on guitar. They've added bassist Gary Tibbs in the last 2-3 years (he of Roxy Music/Adam Ant fame). Their new stuff doesn't sound like their 80s music, but it's still GOOD stuff, delivered by an amazingly tight band. They also enjoy playing their old stuff, but they want people to hear their new music - that's only natural. And in the 3 or so times I've been around Cy (and all the others, for that matter) this year, they've all been exceedingly nice, down to earth and humble.

Written By: ktelqueen on 10/03/04 at 11:15 pm

One Thing Leads To Another followed by Saved By Zero

Written By: Sean1983 on 10/04/04 at 3:55 am

I've only ever heard the greatest hits.  Would have to say Saved By Zero, One Thing Leads..., Sunshine In The Shade, A Letter To Both Sides, etc.

Written By: nally on 10/06/04 at 3:10 pm

In no particular order:

Red Skies
Saved By Zero

Those are the only songs of theirs I know. I like all three of 'em.

Written By: ... (Ellipsis) on 10/06/04 at 4:00 pm

In no particular order:

Red Skies
Saved By Zero

Those are the only songs of theirs I know. I like all three of 'em.

Good picks nally. Those would be my choices too...along with "Are We Ourselves", which doesn't appear to be on the list.

Written By: Koop on 10/06/04 at 5:04 pm

Deeper and Deeper

Written By: MLB on 10/06/04 at 6:48 pm

Didn't I start this thread before Chucky and friends closed down and rebooted the whole site??
anyhoo, I voted Stand or fall, but I do find Red Skies to be a close 2nd. sad and edgy-- I love to hear it even now.

Written By: Octopulse on 11/27/04 at 7:08 am

posted by bash....
Cy the only original member of the Fixx left?  NOT! Only the bass player is different - the others are all there: Rupert Greenall on keys, Adam Woods on drums, and the amazing Jamie West-Oram on guitar. They've added bassist Gary Tibbs in the last 2-3 years (he of Roxy Music/Adam Ant fame). Their new stuff doesn't sound like their 80s music, but it's still GOOD stuff, delivered by an amazingly tight band. They also enjoy playing their old stuff, but they want people to hear their new music - that's only natural. And in the 3 or so times I've been around Cy (and all the others, for that matter) this year, they've all been exceedingly nice, down to earth and humble.

BASH IS RIGHT HERE, SOME OF YOU PEOPLE ARE A BIT MISINFORMED ABOUT THE FIXX

STILL ALL ORIGINAL MEMBERS SAVE FOR THE BASSIST GARY TIBBS, WHO IS A SEASONED PRO IN HIS OWN RIGHT

IVE MET THE BAND MORE THAN FEW TIMES OVER THE YEARS, THEY WERE ALWAYS GRACIOUS AND HUMBLE

I'll stop yelling now, sorry

My fav Fixx Video would be "Precious Stone" from Calm Animals, so I guess "Other" is my answer

Cheers,
Octo

Written By: HeartsAfire on 11/27/04 at 5:45 pm

My favorite Fixx tune is "The Sign of Fire".  "Saved By Zero" is a close second.  I also like "Stand or Fall", "Red Skies"(I recall seeing both of these on MTV quite a bit in the early 80s), "Are We Ourselves" and "Secret Separation".

Written By: mke on 07/16/05 at 8:05 pm

The Fixx that you saw was all original members (their bass player has changed many times over the years).  Plus, they always play their hits...

Written By: jiminy on 07/17/05 at 5:31 am

My favorite fix was Jack Daniels   :D

Written By: Paul on 07/17/05 at 6:36 am

'One Thing Leads To Another' (and 'Stand Or Fall' wasn't bad...)

Touted as the 'next big thing', they appeared on almost every weekly music paper at some point, but they eventually died on their collective backsides in Britain...a shame...

Written By: browneyedgirl on 07/20/05 at 7:11 pm

Saved By Zero

Written By: whistledog on 11/07/05 at 11:17 pm

"Are We Ourselves" followed by "Sign of Fire".  Two great hits from one great band :)

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 11/08/05 at 9:49 am

Stand Or Fall

Written By: Carl on 11/08/05 at 10:42 am

Stand or Fall, I'm suprised this didn't get more votes as it was a first hit for them

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 11/08/05 at 1:08 pm

Written By: Southern Image on 11/10/05 at 12:05 pm

Stand Or Fall

Subject: "Fixx" favorite....

Written By: Dude111 on 02/20/18 at 5:20 am

Saved by Zero

One of thier BEST!!

Written By: Howard on 02/20/18 at 7:43 am

Written By: oingo_fan on 02/20/18 at 7:39 pm

Opinions off of Reach the Beach.  Love the stripped-down melancholy sound.

Check for new replies or respond here...